PDA

View Full Version : "You are a great team."

Lord Ash
04-06-2010, 12:55 AM
Anyone hear this quote, from Coach K? Apparently told the team in a prayer. I love how he was building to it all year... a good team, to a very good team, to a very good team with great character... in his words, always giving them something to shoot for. Many people had made note of this careful wording through the year, and our own discussion even mirrored the motivational keystone that Coach was setting up at times!

Coach K has a wonderful feel for this sort of thing, and is truly a great leader. We are lucky to have him.

The Master wins his, and our, fourth!

lpd1982
04-06-2010, 01:02 AM
Yes! He said he had told them they were a good team, a good team with great character and then, tonight, a great team because he wanted them to keep working. What a brilliant motivator!

banneheim
04-06-2010, 01:04 AM
This guy is the best coach period! What a motivational tool and his adjustments to this team were unbelievable. I always wondered what if GH and Ewill were here but would Smith/Sch and Thomas & Zoubs develop the way they did. I LOVE this team. I will NEVER question his decisions again! I was worried when Haywood was inbounding the ball near end of game and Zoubs was guarding the inbounds, that it was going to be kicked back to Haywood(as the passer out of bounds is the most dangerous man on the court) and he would drive to the basket and get fouled or layup. However, Zoubs did a great job and made them call TO. I questioned the 2nd FT miss, but it worked. Perfect ending to the team concept and players knowing their roles.

cptnflash
04-06-2010, 01:33 AM
Yes! He said he had told them they were a good team, a good team with great character and then, tonight, a great team because he wanted them to keep working. What a brilliant motivator!

Classic Coach K. I said at halftime (after we were badly outplayed in the first half by Butler) that this was when he would earn his money. Well, he did.

Billy Dat
04-07-2010, 05:22 PM
This is what makes K, K. I loved hearing this story, which he told at his post-game presser.

The best article I have read about the game, by SI.com's Joe Posnanski, uses it as a template for his excellent, excellent piece of writing.

http://sportsillustrated.cnn.com/2010/writers/joe_posnanski/04/06/duke.title/index.html

Devil07
04-07-2010, 05:33 PM
They actually aired the locker room footage of K telling the team this on the CBS College Sports broadcast after the game but I haven't been able to find it sense. The way he said it was just terrific. The love he has for these guys is so real, it just makes you all the happier to see their success. If anyone can find it please post the link. I've checked CBS sports website and it's not there unfortunately.