PDA

View Full Version : Charting Duke vs. West Virginia (NCAA Tournament)

Jumbo
04-05-2010, 01:56 AM
The story of this game was pretty simple: Everyone contributed. From Brian Zoubek's layup to start the game to Jordan Davidson's three-pointer to end it, this was a total team effort, and it was reflected in the plus/minus stats. The starters had the highest total as a group, but they also played far and away the most minutes together. When one or two of them came out of the game, Duke rarely let up, and you can see that in the per-40-minute stats for the top reserves. Coach K didn't use a wide variety of combinations because, thankfully, he didn't have to, but the guys played consistently well together. Here's hoping there's one more game coming just like this one.

Anyway, on to the numbers ...

Individuals
Jon Scheyer 75-54 (+21)
Nolan Smith 68-55 (+13)
Kyle Singler 75-57 (+18)
Lance Thomas 63-48 (+15)
Brian Zoubek 50-39 (+11)
Miles Plumlee 28-18 (+10)
Mason Plumlee 15-9 (+6)
Andre Dawkins 10-5 (+5)
Ryan Kelly 3-0 (+3)
Jordan Davidson 3-0 (+3)

Per 40 Minutes
Jordan Davidson +120
Ryan Kelly +120
Miles Plumlee +30.8
Mason Plumlee +30
Jon Scheyer +22.1
Andre Dawkins +28.6
Lance Thomas +18.8
Kyle Singler +18.5
Brian Zoubek +16.3
Nolan Smith +15.3

Lineups
Scheyer-Smith-Singler-Thomas-Zoubek (x7) 43-34 (+9)
Scheyer-Dawkins-Singler-Thomas-Zoubek (x2) 7-2 (+5)
Scheyer-Smith-Singler-Thomas-Miles (x2) 13-9 (+4)
Scheyer-Smith-Singler-Mason-Miles (x3) 12-9 (+3)
Davidson-Dawkins-Kelly-Mason-Miles 3-0 (+3)
Smith-Dawkins-Singler-Thomas-Zoubek 0-3 (-3)

SeattleIrish
04-05-2010, 02:07 AM
It does highlight how much we will miss Brian and Lance. They are absolutely crucial to our success; our Plumlees are going to have to improve a great deal over the summer, as they very well might, in order to match what we will be losing.

We are very fortunate.

s.i.

scheyeronfire
04-05-2010, 11:08 AM
W're also getting Hairston, who could fill a similar role as Mason this year, and hopefully RK can really contribute off the bench in '11

dukeimac
04-05-2010, 11:24 AM
Duke might go small next year.

Remember, Kyrie is a good PG; I see him getting a lot of playing time next year. No one comes in getting to wear the #1 and ends up riding the bench.

That leaves Nolan, Seth and Andre at the 2 and 3. Nolan has proven himself and IMO will not see less time next year.

Seth, from reports, is lights out, he can play and has the experience so I see him getting a lot of time. If Andre comes back with his confidence and shoots like he has shown he can I see him getting some good time and that forces him to the 3 spot.

6'3" or 6'4" at the 3 next year and if Singler comes back (and I believe the pros will tell him he has things to work on at for the next level) he plays a lot at the 4 again.

MChambers
04-05-2010, 11:38 AM
It does highlight how much we will miss Brian and Lance. They are absolutely crucial to our success; our Plumlees are going to have to improve a great deal over the summer, as they very well might, in order to match what we will be losing.

We are very fortunate.

s.i.

It also highlights that the Plumlee brothers played very well Saturday, and very effectively (if there is a difference). Miles in particular looked very good Saturday. Makes me feel better about next year, or it will when I focus on that.

Jumbo
04-05-2010, 01:49 PM
W're also getting Hairston, who could fill a similar role as Mason this year, and hopefully RK can really contribute off the bench in '11

Duke might go small next year.

Remember, Kyrie is a good PG; I see him getting a lot of playing time next year. No one comes in getting to wear the #1 and ends up riding the bench.

That leaves Nolan, Seth and Andre at the 2 and 3. Nolan has proven himself and IMO will not see less time next year.

Seth, from reports, is lights out, he can play and has the experience so I see him getting a lot of time. If Andre comes back with his confidence and shoots like he has shown he can I see him getting some good time and that forces him to the 3 spot.

6'3" or 6'4" at the 3 next year and if Singler comes back (and I believe the pros will tell him he has things to work on at for the next level) he plays a lot at the 4 again.

What does any of this have to do with the Duke-West Virginia game and the plus/minus stats from that contest? Why is ANYONE talking about next season? Duke is playing for a national championship tonight!

Jumbo
04-05-2010, 01:49 PM
It also highlights that the Plumlee brothers played very well Saturday, and very effectively (if there is a difference). Miles in particular looked very good Saturday. Makes me feel better about next year, or it will when I focus on that.

Exactly. Duke continued to function well when they were in.

superdave
04-05-2010, 01:56 PM
Exactly. Duke continued to function well when they were in.

I thought Miles was excellent defensively against WVU. He occasionally turns a hedge into a trap which is ok when it works. That scares me a little but our help rotations made up for any possible downside the other night.

Mason has not picked up his defensive assignments quite as well as miles. His block shot was nice the other night, alhtough I wished he had tipped it to himself.

Both have improved every game for a while now.