PDA

View Full Version : It all went by so fast

Spam Filter
04-05-2010, 12:17 AM
I was just thinking about the game tomorrow and suddenly it hit me, that win or lose, tomorrow will be the last time we ever see Lance Thomas, Brian Zoubek and Jon Scheyer play in a Duke uniform.

Time sure flies, it seems like just yesterday people on this board were posting links of Zoubek's high school highlights on youtube and we were living and dying with every update in the Lance Thomas recruitment thread.

Now, they've come, and in 24 hours they will have completed their journey as Duke basketball players. It really went by so fast.

There was a time earlier this year when I couldn't wait for the 2010-2011 season to get here. But I think right now I really just wish this season could go on for a bit longer.

LSanders
04-05-2010, 02:27 AM
What goes through your head, as you lie there in your hotel bed, trying to get to sleep, knowing ... This is it!

Tomorrow, you'll have a chance to make history. Of course, they feel that way on the other side as well. The crowds won't bother you. You're Duke. Dealing with spewing venom is part of an average day. On the other side, the crowd will excite you AND make you tense. You don't want to let this opportunity slip away ... Don't want to disappoint them.

Couple all of that with the knowledge that for a few, it will be their your last time wearing the uniform of your university.

The whole thing has to be surreal.

Yes ... Jon, Brian, and LT ... Seems like we hardly knew ye ... But, win or lose, we'll also never forget.

grateful_duke
04-05-2010, 03:01 AM
Earlier today I said to my Dad, "They way they are playing right now, I just wish this season could go on a bit longer"

Though...IF.... after winning the title game it can end =)

It's truly been an surprisingly magical season!

Georgiadevil
04-05-2010, 04:05 AM
I hope our guys have many shining moments tonight.

hc5duke
04-05-2010, 04:11 AM
i remember these dreadlocks (and subsequent discussion about whether k would make him get a haircut)

http://i.a.cnn.net/si/2006/writers/aditi_kinkhabwala/05/10/better.half/t1_thomas.jpg

Another scarlet letter - Rutgers cyber-fans lose it after Thomas chooses Duke (http://sportsillustrated.cnn.com/2006/writers/aditi_kinkhabwala/05/10/better.half/index.html)

http://l.yimg.com/a/p/sp/r/f5/f50d7306aa38045b294eadf863f46ea5/19493.jpg

http://rivals.yahoo.com/ncaa/basketball/recruiting/player-Lance-Thomas-26544

licc85
04-05-2010, 06:34 AM
i barely recognize lance in that first pic . . he looks REALLY young, he's definitely matured so much over these 4 years. zoubs, if only he hadnt been hurt his whole career, we might have made this run sooner, he's really the catalyst for our late season run. As for Jon, at least for me,he will always be one of the greatest players at Duke ever, regardless of whether or not his jersey is retired (probably not, even if we win tonight, but I think it should be) No player I can think of in recent memory has been ask to fill so many different roles over the course of his career at Duke (spot up shooter, starter as a freshman, then 6th man, then starting off guard, then point guard/captain) and excelled in all of them, he's just been such a positive influence for the team.

This class is just very special to Duke fans because we've watched what they went through as underclassmen, and it's about what they have achieved as seniors because of how hard they've worked. 3 great guys, and 3 irreplaceable players.

MarkD83
04-05-2010, 07:13 AM
I know that Duke and Caoch K don't get motivatied by revenge, but in reflecting on this year it seams that a lot of ghosts are being cleared from the closet of this year's seniors.

First, two wins against UNC.
Then beating GT for the ACC championship. A team that is supposedly more athletic than Duke.
In the tournament Duke has faced and beaten "long" and "tough" teams, when teams like these have given them losses in the past.
Then in the semis they beat WVU.

Finally, a mid-major who would like nothing else but to put their name in the histroy books (This is a bit of a strecth comparing VCU and Butler, but I hope you get the similiarities.)

GODUKEGO
04-05-2010, 07:50 AM
Pictures of Jon and Zoub in High School

anon
04-05-2010, 08:02 AM
we were living and dying with every update in the Lance Thomas recruitment thread.

Curious ... where can I find this thread? Is the old board still accessible anywhere?

91_92_01_10_15
04-05-2010, 09:10 AM
Curious ... where can I find this thread? Is the old board still accessible anywhere?

Don't know if it will work, but you can try the wayback machine:

http://www.archive.org/web/web.php

CrazieDUMB
04-05-2010, 09:21 AM
I remember watching the games early in the 2007 season. Duke had just lost four seniors (and two retired numbers) and what I thought was their best chance to grab a 'natty. Of course, the announcers in the game were quick to point out that Duke doesn't rebuild, they reload. Cue pictures of Gerald, Jon, Lance and Zoub. As that season began to unfold, it became clear (to me at least) that these guys worked hard, but had nothing on Redick, Laettner and Battier. Our recent tradition of breaking other teams with recruiting power and talent wasn't going to pan out.

And here they are, four years later, standing on the precipice of something JJ (and Elton and Corey and Trajan, I should add) could never accomplish.

Good luck boys! For a team that took so much crap from every direction, you've already proven yourself as winners, no matter what happens tonight.

Beat them bulldogs!

ReformedAggie
04-05-2010, 09:25 AM
For me, this has been the best year of college basketball I've ever known. It has been a real honor to support this team. We're a very lucky fan base :).

stillcrazie
04-05-2010, 09:29 AM
I am so excited/nervous for these guys, I have barely gotten any sleep for two nights.

BlueHeaven
04-05-2010, 09:50 AM
Me too on the no sleep thing. I actually watched both games again last night on CBS college sports. My 11 year old son actually came in and told me I was pathetic. As a 43 year old alumna of Duke, it all seems like a dream. In my head, I can still touch those years i was there and this team brings me back and makes me proud to be a Dukie. Great kids, great season. I am always a little depressed for a couple of weeks after the end of basketball season. I can't get enough. Just glad I already took the day off work!! Let's go Duke!

Matches
04-05-2010, 09:56 AM
Just glad I already took the day off work!! Let's go Duke!

I'm starting to feel like I should've. VERY distracted today.

4decadedukie
04-05-2010, 10:21 AM
However, this TEAM will place several banners in Cameron’s rafters (and, we all hope, the ultimate one by midnight today). In doing so, they (collectively) will become immortal in Duke’s history. That is a fitting conclusion for their superb performance, for their values, for their teamwork, and for their representation of Duke University.

diablesseblu
04-05-2010, 10:38 AM
However, this TEAM will place several banners in Cameron’s rafters (and, we all hope, the ultimate one by midnight today). In doing so, they (collectively) will become immortal in Duke’s history. That is a fitting conclusion for their superb performance, for their values, for their teamwork, and for their representation of Duke University.

No matter what happens tonight (and I pray they prevail), this has been my favorite Duke team ever. They've been just a joy to follow and cheer for.

kmspeaks
04-05-2010, 10:40 AM
While it may be a little crazy I can't help but think that win or lose, I'm going to be sad when I wake up Tuesday morning. If only because I know I will never get to see Jon, Brian, and Lance in a Duke uniform ever again.

TampaDukie
04-05-2010, 11:03 AM
I think this sums it up best. Win or lose tonight, this team has muscled out the 2001 team as my favorite Duke team ever. I loved that team so much, but I always expected them to be great and to cut down the nets in Minneapolis. This team's run to the Final Four hasn't necessarily been a surprise for me, but I honestly never expected them to be on the verge of a national championship. And I'm just ridiculously proud of who they are and what they've accomplished this year. I think they have cemented a special place in every Blue Devil's heart.

Dr. Tina
04-05-2010, 11:22 AM
Coach K said the NCAA Tournament is cruel in it's abruptness. For the past few weeks, I've watched every game, thinking it could be this Duke team's last and hoping it wasn't. Our Duke team and our fans won't have to feel that cruel abruptness this year and it makes me feel really good to say that.

However, it is a really bittersweet feeling because I have LOVED this Duke team so much. Jon, Lance, Zoubs, and all of the guys have exemplified what Duke basketball is all about. This team has great character and it is abundantly clear that they are all in this together. I'm so proud of them and all they've accomplished thus far.

Tonight is a chance for them to have their ultimate "one shining moment" and I can't wait to watch it!

airowe
04-05-2010, 11:34 AM
For me, this has been the best year of college basketball I've ever known. It has been a real honor to support this team. We're a very lucky fan base :).

I have to agree with you on this one, Aggie. There have been so many rewarding times for my fandom this season. So many monkeys thrown off of backs, so many 180s on the court for maligned players.

Nolan's offensive explosion, Brian's work on the boards, Lance's defensive and intangible contributions, Jon's ability to step into a position he had played only sparingly and master it with ease, Kyle's ability to do the same (although it took him a bit longer,) Andre's having to overcome so many off the court issues, and the Plumlees' improvements. So many great individual stories, but the best story of all has been how this team has come together as unit and honestly become greater than the sum of it's parts. The cohesiveness and solidarity amongst these guys has been amazing to watch, and I don't think we'll see this for a long while.

Thanks for all you've done to all four Seniors (Jordan included.) You'll always be remembered as some of my favorites to wear a Duke uniform.

KyDevilinIL
04-05-2010, 11:40 AM

I certainly agree, but it's hard not to write the same paragraph about these Butler kids. That's what keeps needling me about tonight – as in any title game, both teams have a bit of immortality at stake.

I know it's not exactly what you were getting at here, but it leads me to admit that I have trouble accepting the notion that our guys "deserve" this any more than Butler's guys do.

BlueintheFace
04-05-2010, 12:14 PM
From 5 or 6 years ago

http://llnw.image.cbslocal.com/27/2010/04/03/320x240/wbbm0403jonscheyer.jpg

NSDukeFan
04-05-2010, 12:32 PM
While it may be a little crazy I can't help but think that win or lose, I'm going to be sad when I wake up Tuesday morning. If only because I know I will never get to see Jon, Brian, and Lance in a Duke uniform ever again.

But it certainly has been awfully kind of them to play the maximum number of games this year, so that we could see them as much as possible.

NYDukie
04-05-2010, 12:58 PM
Have to echo much of what has been said. Given all the heat that this senior class has taken, and let's be honest, we should add Nolan and Kyle into this discussion, nothing would be better than to see them cut down the nets. This group has grown so much the past 3-4 years from a young, nervous team to a group of mature, physical and tough minded young men who have one objective in mind. We don't get to see many teams develop over 3-4 years anymore, especially the same core group, so let's cherish this and root hard tonight.

And for the record, I want to take back all critical comments I have made the past year about anyone on this team. I know as fans posting on these boards, we tend to vent but I have to say some have made me eat crow, specifically Zoubs!!!! Much love to the guys!!!

Greg_Newton
04-05-2010, 02:47 PM
Thanks for all you've done to all four Seniors (Jordan included.) You'll always be remembered as some of my favorites to wear a Duke uniform.

This is my favorite part of all this. Win or lose tonight, these guys will be the ones we look back at during "down" years and say "Man, remember when we had ______?"

It's even better because they heard so much about who they weren't for the majority of their careers - they weren't 1999, 2001, etc. Given how selfless and great they've been their whole careers, I couldn't be happier that they'll become the new symbols for Duke greatness. I really feel like I'm watching a Hallmark movie at times.

SoCalDukeFan
04-05-2010, 03:43 PM
This will be one of my favorite Duke teams.

The best has been watching them develop all season.

SoCal

KenTankerous
04-05-2010, 05:46 PM
For those that don't know, I am a Kentucky fan that does not hate Duke. Here's a link to how that happened:
A Cat fan in Cameron (http://www.dukebasketballreport.com/forums/showthread.php?t=5977)

Watching this Duke team has been an absolute joy these last three years. To see the depth of character, work ethic and intensity culminate in a national title is fitting for a group of young men that have endured what this team has been through.

While I am glad that Kentucky has regained some measure of prominence, I fear that that prominence has been built on stilts that will stand neither the test of time nor the rigors of yet another NCAA investigation.

That feeling is something you as Duke fans will never have to fear. You KNOW your championships are legitimate and well earned within not only the letter but the spirit of the rules.

Duke exemplifies all that is fabulous about college sports - true student/athletes competing at the highest level while earning a meaningful degree and building themselves into fine young citizens.

Be proud Blue Devil's. You've much to take pride in with this team and your program.

DevilHorns
04-05-2010, 06:34 PM
I absolutely love the hell out of this team. I love the personalities, the character, the heart.

This team has grown through pain and sweat. The downs have been rough with players absolutely getting ZERO respect from peer institutions and the media, and taking the worst from opposing fanbases.

And now we are at the verge of a championship.

I generally like reading all the stories on ESPN regarding college basketball, the explanations of how a team can be more than just simply a team, but a representation of something more in life. As for me, nothing can take this team away from me. I feel a special attachment to these boys, and will never forget what a privilege it was to see them grow in so many ways.

Duke basketball is so much more than basketball, and thats why I love it.