PDA

View Full Version : Ebay Auction: 98-99 Championship Hats

devilbedarned
04-04-2010, 07:24 PM
Check out these official hats that claim Duke as National Champs for 98-99! You can change history.

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=220583197062&ssPageName=STRK:MESELX:IT

Eckster
04-04-2010, 07:34 PM
Duke was so dominant that year that few people thought they could lose. Only a few unfortunate plays at the end of the game led to the loss. I remember buying a brand new TV just for the occasion and then wanting to return it Tuesday morning as I was sure it was jinxed (still have it buy the way). No HD in those days so it's not the main TV these days.

Don't these apparel items usually end up in Central America or something?

duke98
04-04-2010, 10:17 PM
Here's an article about what happens to some of those types of shirts. The article makes an interesting point about the black-market possibilities (like this one):

http://ethosmagonline.com/archives/112

I try to forget about that season as much as I possibly can, so I'm not much interested in having a hat to remind me of it. ;)

merry
04-04-2010, 10:22 PM
Check out these official hats that claim Duke as National Champs for 98-99! You can change history.

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=220583197062&ssPageName=STRK:MESELX:IT

I have a hat like this for 1994. A coworker of mine had a friend who worked for the company who made them and he gave me one. It's a weird souvenir to have, to be honest, and not one that I have "on display" anywhere.

-bdbd
04-04-2010, 10:30 PM
Duke was so dominant that year that few people thought they could lose. Only a few unfortunate plays at the end of the game led to the loss. I remember buying a brand new TV just for the occasion and then wanting to return it Tuesday morning as I was sure it was jinxed (still have it buy the way). No HD in those days so it's not the main TV these days.

Don't these apparel items usually end up in Central America or something?

That really WAS a great team. Incredible talent -- probably the most loaded team K has ever had. Tons of future NBA talent - Trajan, Corey, Brand, Avery, Battier, etc.

I was there and it was a TERRIBLE let-down. :mad:

Funny, as I was having a similar thought, and have been wondering if K did too: That if the 1999 championship is the one "that got away," then this year could be "the one that surprised us." I could absolutely see a good measure of redemption in that theme.

Regardless, I would implore Duke fans, if we ARE lucky enough to prevail, be extremely gracious towards the Butler fans (either way). This Butler squad deserves our respect.

dukedrummer
04-04-2010, 10:43 PM
Bought a back to back UNLV National Champions t-shirt out side the stadium for $2 in 1991 after Duke beat UNLV in the Semifinal game.

BTW...One of the great days ever. Duke beats an undeafeted UNLV team that beat us bad in 90 and Carolina looses with Dean Smith getting ejected as the only coach to ever get thrown out of a Final Four game.

Duke Drummer

KandG
04-04-2010, 10:54 PM
I think I taped the ESPN pregame show as well as the game against UConn in 99. The thing I remember is how the pregame was basically a coronation of Duke, and most of the discussion was about whether the team was one of the all time greatest in NCAA history -- the show seriously looked like it was recorded after a Duke win. I was slack-jawed, since I knew how good the UConn team was, even though I felt we were the favorites (but not to the degree the talking heads made it out to be).

I ended up throwing out the tape, but I remember thinking I should save it because it was one of the best examples of not being complacent, that's how bad the pregame was. I expect K and the assistants will have the guys in the right frame of mind for Monday night -- not complacent, and respectful of how dangerous Butler is.

OZZIE4DUKE
04-04-2010, 11:08 PM
I have a hat like this for 1994. A coworker of mine had a friend who worked for the company who made them and he gave me one. It's a weird souvenir to have, to be honest, and not one that I have "on display" anywhere.
I have one of those 2004 hats too. I think I bought it on Ebay. Someone posted here about their availability. I've never taken it off the hat rack.

Highlander
04-05-2010, 12:15 AM
I once saw an '86 Duke National Champions shirt. On the back the owner had printed "I bought this shirt at halftime."

Ouch.

Boston Dukie
04-05-2010, 12:56 AM
I was in tampa in 1999.

Uconn was not that good, the gap bs Duke was huge

Duke was too good and overconfident

After the win vs. Michigan State in the semis on Saturday night, I was out in Ybor City (or whatever they call it) celebrating the win.

It was lik 1am

I was headed back home to go to sleep. Just at that time the entire duke team team cAme walkin in! (In fairness, I did not see all of them, but brand, maggette, Avery and carawell were all there - 4 of 5 starters).

I could not believe it. They were out partying and they had not won anything yet. I turned to my buddy and said "they are going to lose". Sure enough they did (they should have won going away).

This team was never that good, is not overconfident, and will focus at the task at hand.

I like Duke to win it all!

BigZ
04-05-2010, 01:04 AM
That 1999 team is still in my opinion the best Duke team ever. The problem was that they didn't ever play any close games so when they had a close game they didn't know how to handle it. I won't forget Duke down 1 and Elton traveling when he had a wide open lay up late to take the lead. Why was Trajon the guy dribbling the ball down the court?

Edouble
04-05-2010, 01:29 AM
brand, maggette, Avery and carawell were all there - 4 of 5 starters).

Magette was not a starter on that team. The starting five were Avery, Langdon, Cwell, Battier, and Brand.

Troublemaker
04-05-2010, 01:54 AM
I think discussion of the '99 team is best left for another time. The thread title says, "Remember 98-99." Why? Who should remember? Certainly not the coaches and players who should be focusing on Butler. And certainly not the fans who want to think good thoughts right now. I don't like the mojo of this thread so I'm making an executive decision to lock it. Feel free to complain to me over PM and/or bring this topic back up later, at a more appropriate time, like in May.

ETA: Sorry, somehow I missed that this was a thread alerting people to an ebay auction that ends in a few days [It was late at night but that's no excuse.] While I'm still not thrilled with the "mojo" here, what I thought was a purposeless thread now has a purpose. Unlocking and changing thread title...

Eckster
04-05-2010, 06:46 PM
Bought a back to back UNLV National Champions t-shirt out side the stadium for $2 in 1991 after Duke beat UNLV in the Semifinal game.

BTW...One of the great days ever. Duke beats an undeafeted UNLV team that beat us bad in 90 and Carolina looses with Dean Smith getting ejected as the only coach to ever get thrown out of a Final Four game.

Duke Drummer

Yes that was an absolute highlight! I couldn't believe it at the time! I also remember the bonfire that followed and naked people running around. Hopefully more of that insanity tonight!

DallasDevil
04-05-2010, 06:59 PM
Anyone know where I can get some now useless "UNC: NIT Champions" hats?

Welcome2DaSlopes
04-05-2010, 07:05 PM
I once saw an '86 Duke National Champions shirt. On the back the owner had printed "I bought this shirt at halftime."

Ouch.

That's is Classic, hahaha funniest thing i've heard in a while, for any team, you'll have to admit that's funny