PDA

View Full Version : Appreciation for Zoubek

Starter
04-04-2010, 01:18 AM
I apologize if this is something that fits into one of the other threads -- I don't start many threads because I'm never quite sure of the protocol. If this is extraneous, please lock it or move it. But I thought that Brian Zoubek deserved his own, separate props for the brilliant career he's put together.

Have we seen a player in recent memory that improved as much in his senior year as Zoubek? I've been following Duke closely since I was admitted in 1996, and I would suggest that we haven't. Chris Carrawell went from a solid player to an excellent player. DeMarcus Nelson improved from a decent player to a very good player. Casey Sanders went from a below-average player to a viable player -- Nick Collison notwithstanding.

But for Zoubek, who was plagued with foul trouble, injuries and subsequent lack of conditioning, this is an incredible turnaround for a player that even as recently as January was not even close to a factor. Then he went for 16 and 17 against Maryland, looking like a transformed player in the process. He kept it up for the following few games, while I think we all waited for the other shoe to drop. But it didn't, and this iteration of Zoubek constitutes the best Duke big man since Shelden Williams, easily.

As great as Singler, Smith and Scheyer are, and as brilliantly as they feed off each other, Zoubek is truly at the heart of the team's endeavors. (I wrote a post (http://bit.ly/9Mp5Na) recently about this topic if anyone's interested) He perfectly fits into what this team does -- using surprising athleticism to harass both on the post and in the perimeter. He has a nice soft touch around the basket and uses the glass well. And after his offensive rebounds, he's incredibly adept at seeing the entire floor and finding the open man for a three-pointer, quite different from earlier in his career, when he would go up with it and often get stripped or blocked.

To me, Zoubek typifies the way this team has developed this year and over the past several years into the efficient model of consistency we see now. He would have fit in better in other systems, but he fell in love with Duke -- the way we all did -- and it's finally clicking for him. And when I think about this team down the road, win or lose, I think Zoubek will be the guy I'm the most proud of.

OldSchool
04-04-2010, 01:29 AM
Good post, and let's not forget Lance as well.

During their careers both Brian and Lance were subjected to criticisms in the harshest terms on this very board, which I at the time believed were both unfair on the substance and unduly pejorative.

I have seen recently a few posters here and there offer mea culpas, however.

This year has been the sweetest vindication for both of them. It is not often that such backbiting critics are so completely exposed as fools.

strawbs
04-04-2010, 01:31 AM
i hate to say i absolutely hated big z for his first 3 years on campus. This was probably unfair, because a lot of injuries really derailed his development. At the same time though, he had no offensive game, was weak with the ball getting blocked or stripped on nearly every shot attempt, and he was a turnover machine because he would travel 90% of the time.
Something clicked for him this year and he has been a pleasure to watch. He has played his role perfectly, becoming an excellent rebounder and above average passer. He is finishing around the basket much more often and nearly always makes the correct play. He has even shown that he has a nice hook shot on a couple of occasions. He has also developed into a positive emotional leader on this team. I never thought that i would say this, but it is going to be sad to see the brian zoubek era come to an end monday night. It was great to see him finally develop into a solid basketball player. I hope he can make it onto an NBA roster (if he wants to continue to pursue basketball as a career). Thanks for the 4 years BIG Z!!!!

LSanders
04-04-2010, 01:32 AM
IMO ... An appropriate thread.

I had some similar thoughts in that I hope the League will take a look at Z, because I was just imagining what a beast he would be if he'd had 4 healthy years of the type of development we've seen since G'town. He deserves all the props flowing his way.

The only thing I disagree with is Z as the one you're proudest of -- ONLY because there are so many kids to be proud of on this team. Jon transforming himself into one of the most effective PGs in the country ... Nolan waking up to realize his potential is off the charts ... Kyle being an absolute warrior who can score in every way imaginable ... LT being a beast on defense ... The Plums and Dre ... All amazing!!

So, no disagreement about the worth of Z, but this team is the epitome of the sum being much greater than the parts.

Starter
04-04-2010, 01:38 AM
Agree with all replies thus far, so many great stories on this team. And for my own part, I can't say that I personally wasn't frustrated at various points with both Zoubek and Lance, viewing there to be so much untapped potential.

With Lance, I first watched him play as a sophomore for Danny Hurley at St. Benedict's, and loved his game. I'm glad to see him finally blending in perfectly, playing a pivotal role for a team doing great things.

Kedsy
04-04-2010, 01:43 AM
But for Zoubek, who was plagued with foul trouble, injuries and subsequent lack of conditioning, this is an incredible turnaround for a player that even as recently as January was not even close to a factor.

This is a good thread, and after all the criticism from this board, Big Z deserves as many prop threads as we can manage.

The one thing I want to disagree with just a little is the idea that Z was "not even close to a factor" before the Maryland game. His play and his per 40 stats were outstanding all year -- really the main difference between his play before and after moving into the starting lineup was his ability to stay on the floor for more minutes.

Spam Filter
04-04-2010, 01:49 AM
There is no doubt in my mind that the difference between earlier this year Duke being a pretty good team, to right now Duke is playing in the Championship game on Monday, is primarily the improvement of Zoubek into, dare I say it, a dominant presence in the post.

Yes, the Big 3 are great, but they were great earlier in the year too. But Zoubek's rebounding presence and post presence on defense has completely changed the make-up of this team.

I really hope he get's a look from the NBA, because you can't coach 7'1", and Zoubek is actually playing true to his size now.

fgb
04-04-2010, 01:50 AM
good god i wish he had redshirted one of his injury years.

Zeb
04-04-2010, 01:53 AM
I watched Zoubek play in pickup games before the start of his freshman year. I thought he was going to be a strong player for us. He looked agile, confident, and seemed to possess a great feel for low post scoring. He did quite well in his first Blue and White game, and I thought we had found our next great big man.

Obviously, it took a lot longer than he or the team or us fans wanted. But in the last third of his senior year, he has become a great big man. I've never seen a player make such a huge difference on the offensive end with so little scoring. His picks and rebounds have been absolutely essential. He has totally disrupted his opponents' gameplans throughout this tourney.

The Maryland game is still a surreal transformation for me. It was like a switch was flipped, and Z suddenly started making plays he never even attempted one week earlier. And he hasn't stopped. It is just so remarkable. If he did not go through that metamorphasis, I guarantee you we would not be playing on Monday. We would probably not have won the 2010 ACC tourney. Obviously the Big 3 deserve a ton of credit and they are the foundation for this team. But Zoubek has taken this team's ceiling to an entirely different level.

Bless you Brian Zoubek.

BigZ
04-04-2010, 01:53 AM
Is there anyway that Z could get another year of eligibility? With all those injuries early on could he appeal the NCAA for another year.

tastytaste
04-04-2010, 01:54 AM
best rebounder in college hoops

weezie
04-04-2010, 01:54 AM
Yes, indeed. What a fine young men our seniors are. So happy for their growth and success. They hung in there when the going was tough. We're so lucky they chose Duke!

noyac
04-04-2010, 01:55 AM
He can play a different sport for a year. I would like to suggest water polo.

Starter
04-04-2010, 01:57 AM
The one thing I want to disagree with just a little is the idea that Z was "not even close to a factor" before the Maryland game. His play and his per 40 stats were outstanding all year -- really the main difference between his play before and after moving into the starting lineup was his ability to stay on the floor for more minutes.

Yup, all good points. IIRC, even back in like December, he was among the NCAA leaders in rebounds per minute, stuff like that. He might have even been No. 1.

stickdog
04-04-2010, 02:06 AM
Zou's your daddy!

LSanders
04-04-2010, 02:16 AM
best rebounder in college hoops

According to Pomeroy: (Offensive Rebounding % - OR/(OR+DR))

Note: Minimum 40% minutes played to qualify.

1 Brian Zoubek, Duke
21.2 7-1 260 Sr
2 DeMarcus Cousins, Kentucky 19.6 6-11 260 Fr
3 Justin Rutty, Quinnipiac 17.5 6-7 240 Jr
4 Anthony Johnson, Fairfield 16.9 6-8 245 Sr
5 Kevin Thompson, Morgan St. 16.6 6-8 240 So
6 Dexter Pittman, Texas 16.4 6-10 290 Sr
7 Alex Stepheson, Southern California 16.2 6-9 235 Jr
8 Kenneth Faried, Morehead St. 16.2 6-8 225 Jr
9 Alejo Rodriguez, Iona 15.7 6-8 235 Jr
10 Isaac Butts, Appalachian St. 15.6 6-10 285 Jr

:D

northernduke
04-04-2010, 09:01 AM
I say this not looking ahead of tomorrow's gam but to keep my mind occupied. I am scared of losing Zoubek. His motor is incredible and he makes us such a better scoring team - law of averages when you get more attempts...

He and LT are just so incredibly tough an CONSISTENT definsively and on the boards that I am very nervous about a dropoff in our interior performance next year. But hey, it gives other guys a chance to step up and prove me wrong that same way these two have. The nerves are not a knock on the Plumlees or any of our recruits, but instead speak to how integral Z and LT have been to this team. I'll miss these guys but they know their work's not done yet! Have fun out their fellas and kick some tail! Let us see you smile one last game!

northernduke
04-04-2010, 09:03 AM

Think about all the no calls he could get away with under water...oh how the tables would be turned.

DukieBoy
04-04-2010, 09:30 AM
I hope this doesn't come off in a way of demeaning another kid, but here's my story.

For his first 3 years, I was far, far from a Z supporter. He wasn't mobile enough and couldn't finish underneath. And the travel calls killed him every time. And to top it off, he was injury plagued.

However, this year, he slowly transformed me. Nothing big happened until the Maryland game, as I'm sure for everyone else. Still, I wanted to see it on a consistent basis. And he kept providing it.

I don't like his continuos pump fakes underneath the rim or the fact he really dunks it, but he's convinced me. We couldn't have come anywhere close to this far without Brian Zoubek, so I think we all owe him a HUGE thank yout

Eckster
04-04-2010, 09:42 AM
Agree with all replies thus far, so many great stories on this team. And for my own part, I can't say that I personally wasn't frustrated at various points with both Zoubek and Lance, viewing there to be so much untapped potential.

With Lance, I first watched him play as a sophomore for Danny Hurley at St. Benedict's, and loved his game. I'm glad to see him finally blending in perfectly, playing a pivotal role for a team doing great things.

Hubert Davis made a great point last night that although Duke's "big three" get all the credit, it's the bigs, particularly Z and LT who make it all possible by excellent screening to open those guys up and rebounding/kicking out: Knowing their roles and executing to perfection. Love it.

mapei
04-04-2010, 10:40 AM
Simply put, this is a very good team but not an outstanding contender without BZ's basketball maturation. He is the once-missing ingredient, now supplied. Wonderful to watch.

Houston
04-04-2010, 10:42 AM
Let me be among the first to congratulate Brian and thank him for his contributions. I have not always been the biggest BZ fan, but it only reinforced my lack of basketball knowledge. The team shifted into another gear when Big Z became a starter.

Brian has also taught everyone a wonderful lesson about hard work and perseverance. Thank you for your contributions! Thank you for the wonderful lesson you have taught my children!

Duke Mom
04-04-2010, 10:43 AM
Not sure if this team is "over achieving" or if individually each has finally found the inner confidence to relax and maximize his skills. Each starter really does bring something special to the mix and certainly the "experience" of playing together for 3 to 4 years and great coaching contribute to this team's success.

Z is a firestorm under the basket. Have to believe that his sheer physicality, punctuated by those wonderful grunts and flying elbows, ignite some extra special energy for his teammates. His rebounds, screens, and blocks have created so many scoring opportunities. His contribution to this "great" team (IMO) is immense.

A tough job would have been even tougher without the Z man. Believe it was Seth Greenberg (Virginia Tech coach) who called Z "a mountain masquerading as a man."

Sgt. Dingleberry
04-04-2010, 10:50 AM
I honestly believe Z's transformation is the driving force behind Duke's run.

The crazy thing, like you cited, is the way Z transformed in the Maryland game. All of the sudden he was a completely different player.

I always say sports is 90% confidence. Z found his confidence vs. Maryland.

You know why Z is so great besides his size? His brain. The play vs. WVU where he got an offensive rebound off a Nolan Smith missed 3. He got the rebound right underneath the basket. Instead of potentially getting another shot blocked, he kicked it out to Nolan who was wide open and drained a 3.

It has truly been a pleasure to watch and something that nobody predicted would happen. Thanks Z!!

mgtr
04-04-2010, 10:52 AM
I do not recall ever being overly critical of Zoubs, but there is no doubt that he has now moved into another plane of existence. Lance, however, I criticized heavily -- wondering why we ever recruited him and why he got to play so much. Well, I gladly eat the humble pie -- his contributions are more visible now, but they were always there. Sorry, Mr. Thomas. And sorry, Coach K, for doubting you.

moonpie23
04-04-2010, 10:55 AM
i said some terrible things about him....well, not about HIM, but....about his play.....last year and this year, i just wanted him out of the game....

brian, i humbly apologize for ever doubting your desired to win and your ability to uphold , nay, EXCELL in your part of this team's success...

thank you for coming to duke!!

greybeard
04-04-2010, 11:14 AM
I watched Zoubek play in pickup games before the start of his freshman year. I thought he was going to be a strong player for us. He looked agile, confident, and seemed to possess a great feel for low post scoring..

This was what I saw in Brian from the very beginning of his first year. I think the team failed him that year, not the other way around. Said so then and repeatedly since. I'll repeat it again, not for the reasons one might think; the reaon will become apparent, and it is a tribute not just to Brian, but to everyone in te program, K especially but his teammates no less.

When Brian arrived, he had the gift of a grifter, think the shell game with the pea here, when it came to setting his man up my nuanced moves that required the defender to guard Z's path to the basket, only to step free to the middle. Had this team's style been to look for that moment as it emerged and get it to him, he would have scored the ball big time. It wasn't, they didn't, they waited, insisting that he establish position, he'd catch and get pushed from below, and the results was disasterous. This continued into his second season.

His 3d, he began learning from McClure and how to play the incredible screen-and-screen-again-and-again-and-again game with his new found body that emerged BIG Time this season which was accompanied by an a ability to see paths to the offensive board. He learned to do this all with the passion, single-minded focus of his mentor, Mr. McClure. With his enormously strong body, which in itself is a credit to Brian, Duke presented with a force as a pivot player, a pivotal player on its offense, the likes of which no one has ever seen in the game. EVER. This was and remains true especially because of what has become Brian's and Lance's signature kill move. A KILL move unlike any Center (my presference is for pivot player but that rarely applies in this day and age), or power forward ever in college basketball and only presented in the game in the form of one person that I am aware of, and that would be Dennis Rodman. Brian and Lance work the offensive board like Rodman and like him, after their defenders are forced, because this is THE FIRST PRINCIPLE OF BASKETBALL, to fight to be in position to defend the rim, each man finds the 3-shooter who has the best chance of catching and stepping into the shot.

That boys and girls would have been enough, like my people say at this time of year, Dyanu. But for Brian and its coaches it was not enough, in the words of Bob Dylan, "He not busy born, is busy dying." So, in the midst of this explosion of potency by Brian, he began emerging as Zouperman the vocal team leader. No longer the guy whose spirits needed to be carried, he emerged as a leader who added a special quality. Sometimes it just looked like Brian was being extra vocal, but all of a sudden I began to see something else. Brian's call was a call to arms. He was reminding his teammates that they had a monster on their side, a physically imposing force, and that he expected them to play with a slightly different carriage--"you want to play rough, well met my little friend." Duke has emerged as a team that you do not want to f#$@ with. You start you are not coming out on top, just ask W Va, and I do not refer to Butler, to whom my heart goes out.

Now, that woud have been enough, Dyanu, even for me who always saw Brian as a potentially superior pivot player/scorer, I thought we were done. But, then, hey I'd see every so often a catch on the right low post, a fake to the middle and a poised bounce and step to the baseline with a soft sky hook.

During the tournament, I have seen in the last two games especially, two different shifts in the offense which brings me back to the very beginnings.
Agains Baylor, I saw K deploy K deploy Brian in the catch and distribute role, the mover to space in the high middle and the guy who would be the pivot for distributing in a manner that changed the point of attack. The pivot of the offense. How much growth can a team have, can a player have. Dyanu.

Nope. This last game we saw yet another huge step. Two pick and rolls with Brian making well coordinated over the shoulder catches after setting a screebm catcges that were made to look easy but are the stuff of wide receivers that lead to easy again well coordinated easy finishes at the rim that bespoke a man who for all the world made simple the athletic play most thought him incapable of. Dyanu, right?

Well, Brian had more for the team that had stomped on him and his boyz two years ago, the stuff that had me nearly in tears. Yeap, the dude almost made a big boy cry. There was a catch off a brilliant feed from Lance. What made the feed brilliant was that it presupposed that Brian is the athlete he is, that he could react to the ball that was amazingly well placed for a finish but only if the receiver saw it and rose and caught in a crowd the way Jerry Rice would and emerge after the catch and take it to pay dirt. Brian had that catch in him and finished in beautiful fashion. Brian mae a couple of other catches down low that lead to attacks at that rim that bespoke the skills that he displayed as a freshman. His teammates now were ready and willing; they were in sync with him, saw his lead and followed. Dyanu.

None of this happens without K. When K says that this is not about a run for a fourth, that it is not about him, that he and the coaches are being lead into the moment by this team, I for one believe him. That is not to say that he is not growing with them, helping them get to where the moment is leading them. He is. Which brings me to this team.

You will have to forgive this, it is not a Bluish thought or observation. There is a thing about Duke, the institution, that is ego centric. Ego centism is a good thing I suppose. It leads to great individual accomplishment. To fierce competitiors and fierce competition. Hey, it built America.

But, it is not always good for basketball teams. Ego centrism was too at the core of the past Duke teams that Brian played on. It is not on this one. This one has, in my mind, a number of NBAers. Many more than I thought going into this season. On one level, of course, they play like it or I wouldn't be saying it. On another level they don't. The other level is not just manifest in a generosity of spirit that allows fellow teammates to grow, it also allows for a curious mind that allows for the individual to learn to improve, to discover what parts of HOW one does all sorts of things that could be done more efficiently, more easily, more athletically or not at all.

We have all seen the power of it. If this things plays out the way it seems, Duke's march to the Championship this year was as dominent display as any we have seen. It has gotten stronger each game because in the midst of this march, "the kids," as K would reference them, have all improved individually and were ready for new wrinkles, new modes of playing at both ends, and presented as a wave.

There are some who will answer that Duke's path to the final four was the easiest of all the 1 seeds. Maybe it was. At this point, you want to tag on games against Kansas and Kentucky. I say bring em on. Zoubek will stand up Anderson and Cousins, stand them up, and he and his teammates will keep on grwoing and winning. Dyanu! That would have been enough.

Congratulations to Brian. As a fan of his for four years, I cannot you enough. This is when you guys say, "You think!" :o

Dukefan4Life
04-04-2010, 11:18 AM
Let me first say i was rough on z throughout his playing for duke. I am glad i am eating my words now! big z is a monster inside and right now is a huge factor in our teams success. one more game big Z one more game! LETS GO DUKE!!!!!!!

30scheyer
04-04-2010, 11:27 AM

um....lax? Just what Zoubs needs...a long stick.

DukeDevilDeb
04-04-2010, 11:27 AM
Zoubs has been magnificent, but so has his frontline partner, Lance. Between the two of these guys, we have seen better bigs play than in a long, long time.

Lance's put back and one against Baylor was HUGE. He and Zoubs remind me of Battier without the offensive power. Shane did whatever needed to be done; Lance and Zoubs are doing the same.

And boy am I going to be watching when they cut down the nets!

Go BIG GUYS! GO BLUE DEVILS!!!!

By the way, this in no way diminishes the play of the Plumlees! They have been great too.:)

DukieInBrasil
04-04-2010, 11:31 AM
Is there anyway that Z could get another year of eligibility? With all those injuries early on could he appeal the NCAA for another year.

unfortunately no. In retrospect, it probably would have been wise to red-shirt him for a year. He could even have begun graduate school next year, the guy is very smart.

DukieInBrasil
04-04-2010, 11:45 AM
I've admired Z's game for a while. I always understood that it would take a while to develop, hey, he's 7'1. It was disheartening to see his progress hampered by so many injuries, but he's having a great time now. That's what makes me happy for Z, that he is enjoying this so much, for himself, for his team, for what he means for his team's success.
I have no doubt that Brian will get a few calls to show up at NBA camps. He may spend a year or so in the NBDL to catch up on some of the time that he lost due to his foot injuries. He may be a longshot to be drafted in the 2nd round, but his dominance on the glass lately has to be opening some eyes. He's also showing good hands and good passing skills. I think Z will find himself in the NBA for more than just a cup of coffee at some point.

Starter
04-04-2010, 12:26 PM
I think Z will find himself in the NBA for more than just a cup of coffee at some point.

He's definitely got a shot. I see guys at the end of benches who are probably nowhere near as good (or hard-working) as Zoubek. I question whether his body can hold up, just because of his history, but if he keeps himself in the tremendous shape he's in now, I don't see why there can't be at least a decent chance of that. And what works in his favor is all the pundits suddenly realizing, hey, this guy is the X Factor. That notion is picking up steam, and I guarantee you there are some NBA teams that want a guy that can set a pick and pass like that. I'll take him on the Knicks -- IMMEDIATELY.

nyesq83
04-04-2010, 01:05 PM
How about the great Nolan Smith bounce pass right under the basket that allowed Zoubs to snatch it and go up for a lay-in all in one motion.

Zoubs and Lance have fed each other's games so much this year.

So both are playing up to their potential. It helps when S-cubed are fearless in their shooting.

Lennies
04-04-2010, 01:18 PM
Have we seen a player in recent memory that improved as much in his senior year as Zoubek?

We used to call this type of improvement in your senior year the "Abdelnaby Syndrome (http://www.dukeupdate.com/Alumni/alaa_abdelnaby.htm)". Alaa went from nothing to being a first round draft pick in his senior year.

Zeke
04-04-2010, 05:05 PM
I'm one of the few people who have love BZ for all 4 years. In his 1st few games he showed me a nice soft "baby hook", a basically good foul shot, and some good rebounding. He had the walking problem, which I thouight was mainly anxiety and could be cured with good coaching and more playing time for confidence.
I can remember being brutalized here whenever I said such a thing - the opinion was that Brian was a big slow oaf who never would amount to anything.
Anyway, I'm sorry that Brian had such a hard 3 years as it didn't have to be that way; but I am so glad that he's had his day in the sun. He deserves it.

rotogod00
04-04-2010, 06:17 PM
Zoubek's his play has finally earned him a spot on Chad Ford's Top 100...at 91. Will he actually get drafted?

greybeard
04-04-2010, 08:23 PM
Zoubek's his play has finally earned him a spot on Chad Ford's Top 100...at 91. Will he actually get drafted?

I'm gonna go out on a limb here and guess for a change. Z will play for Larry Brown next year, drafted or not. If he does, you will see growth like you won't believe. You will believe never again that littles cannot coach Bigs.

Yes he will get drafted. How many points a game did ZaZa score starting for Atlanta all those years? Z can outrebound and outdefend ZaZa on Z's bad days.

ACCBBallFan
04-04-2010, 09:09 PM
Zoubs has been magnificent, but so has his frontline partner, Lance. Between the two of these guys, we have seen better bigs play than in a long, long time.

Lance's put back and one against Baylor was HUGE. He and Zoubs remind me of Battier without the offensive power. Shane did whatever needed to be done; Lance and Zoubs are doing the same.

And boy am I going to be watching when they cut down the nets!

Go BIG GUYS! GO BLUE DEVILS!!!!

By the way, this in no way diminishes the play of the Plumlees! They have been great too.:)

How about the great Nolan Smith bounce pass right under the basket that allowed Zoubs to snatch it and go up for a lay-in all in one motion.

Zoubs and Lance have fed each other's games so much this year.

So both are playing up to their potential. It helps when S-cubed are fearless in their shooting.

These two replies start to get at the point I wanted to make. At the beginning of the season it made sense for coach K to pair a Plumlee with a senior forward to help them get the hang of the Duke system, particularly on defense.

But once the Plumlees got it well enough to leverage their sibling athleticism on court together, it really helped Lance and Zoubs to be paired together, kind of like two veterans in tennis who are not dominant in singles but a heck of a doubles partnership.

Sure the offensive boards are huge, but Zoubs has improved substantially on the defensive end to rarely be in the constant foul trouble as used to be the case when paired with an inexperienced forward. He probably draws more fouls now on moving screens than he does on defense but has controlled that aspect to point he can play more minutes. His per minute stats have always been outstanding.

The fact that he can't jump well may actually be a plus in that he just keeps his hands straight up and still alters shots.

So much for the Duke/Wojo can't develop big men hypothesis, as no one will claim that he is the same player in year four that he was the first three years.

He has developed to point that was reasonable to play like a Luke Schensher. Conventional wisdom was that it takes a couple years with big men and in Zoubs' case, the nagging injuries porolonged that.

With Butler playeing 6'9", 6'8", 6'3", 6'3" and 6'0", Duke has a height/weight advantage all over the floor.

Duke Mom
04-04-2010, 09:22 PM
Duke Chronicle already has an article on line about the WV game.

http://dukechronicle.com/article/indy-annihilation

Zoubek quote: “It's a completely different team [now] with a different mentality,” said senior Brian Zoubek, who finished with six points and 10 rebounds. “We have confidence in what we're doing [and] we believe in it. We believe we're good enough to deserve to win.”

We believe, too - go get 'em Zou, one more!

Indoor66
04-04-2010, 09:41 PM
These two replies start to get at the point I wanted to make. At the beginning of the season it made sense for coach K to pair a Plumlee with a senior forward to help them get the hang of the Duke system, particularly on defense.

But once the Plumlees got it well enough to leverage their sibling athleticism on court together, it really helped Lance and Zoubs to be paired together, kind of like two veterans in tennis who are not dominant in singles but a heck of a doubles partnership.

Sure the offensive boards are huge, but Zoubs has improved substantially on the defensive end to rarely be in the constant foul trouble as used to be the case when paired with an inexperienced forward. He probably draws more fouls now on moving screens than he does on defense but has controlled that aspect to point he can play more minutes. His per minute stats have always been outstanding.

The fact that he can't jump well may actually be a plus in that he just keeps his hands straight up and still alters shots.

So much for the Duke/Wojo can't develop big men hypothesis, as no one will claim that he is the same player in year four that he was the first three years.

He has developed to point that was reasonable to play like a Luke Schensher. Conventional wisdom was that it takes a couple years with big men and in Zoubs' case, the nagging injuries porolonged that.

With Butler playeing 6'9", 6'8", 6'3", 6'3" and 6'0", Duke has a height/weight advantage all over the floor.

Additionally, they do not bring in much height off the bench.

TheBrianZoubekExperience
04-04-2010, 10:38 PM
I've been waiting and hoping for Zoubek to activate beast mode since I made him my DBR name in Dec 2007. He is finally fulfilling the prophecy.

I am confident Zoubek is going to dominate the boards Monday night helping Duke to a National Championship.

Potential....Perseverance...Power... this is how I will remember The Brian Zoubek Experience.

-TBZE

ambitiouspear
04-04-2010, 10:47 PM
A nice sum-up of Z's Duke career.

http://sports.espn.go.com/ncb/tournament/2010/columns/story?columnist=oneil_dana&id=5055071

Greg_Newton
04-04-2010, 11:00 PM
One of the biggest reasons I'm so happy with this run is for the lasting legacies of these juniors/seniors on the program. Jon, Brian, Lance, Nolan and Kyle... they're all such great guys and great people, and have worked so hard and done everything the right way their whole careers. However, fair or not, players are remembered in light of the March success. It's why Jason Williams is a legend and a guy like Casey Sanders can come back and be adored even years later... in our memories, they'll forever represent that great championship team and "the glory days".

Regardless of what happens tomorrow, these five guys have cemented their status in Duke lore, and will always be looked back fondly upon. Especially given how much criticism and doubt they endured, I couldn't be happier for them. I think history will be kind to them.

gumbomoop
04-04-2010, 11:11 PM
unfortunately no. In retrospect, it probably would have been wise to red-shirt him for a year. He could even have begun graduate school next year, the guy is very smart.

As one who was skeptical of Z's footwork, I posted a couple of times that he should redshirt. Others more familiar with K's ways said K doesn't encourage redshirting.

In one sense it looks like a mistake not to have asked him to take a medical redshirt. Yet looked at another way, maybe Z wouldn't "fit" next year's team the way he's fit, and perfected, this year's team. Next year's team will surely be an entirely different animal, much faster paced. Although I have been surprised at Z's stamina and energy, I do look forward to the Plumlees getting up and down the court. Despite his amazing emergence, that's not Z's game.

So rather than bemoaning Z's "lost year," I'm more than satisfied at how beautifully things have worked out. No need to "what if" here. It's the 'what" that counts, and what Z has brought is an incredible surprise [except to those of you who knew what he had all along].

Starter
04-04-2010, 11:52 PM
I like the tennis analogy, but when the Plumlees come in for Lance and Zoubek, and vice versa, it reminds me more of a line change in hockey. (Note: I'm not a hockey fan, but still) And it always makes me feel good -- here come these twin bruisers with total chemistry with each other. No other team in the country could match that kind of depth. The defensive acumen of Zoubek-Thomas; then the brute strength and athleticism of the Plumlees takes over. Must leave opponents' heads ringing.

basket1544
04-04-2010, 11:57 PM
These guys will always be remembered whether their jerseys hang from the rafters or not. MSNBC's blogger did a cool story a couple of weeks ago that ended, "here's to you glue guys," and I think that sums up how I feel about Z and LT. They are the glue guys. Going to bed now humming One Shining Moment.

DevilWearsPrada
04-05-2010, 09:10 AM
So proud of our boys. Brian has worked so hard throughout his 4 years, and battling injuries. What a great year and time to breakout and be a leader and live up to his potential. Fear the Beard. Go ZOUBS!!!!!

CDu
04-05-2010, 09:50 AM
As one who was skeptical of Z's footwork, I posted a couple of times that he should redshirt. Others more familiar with K's ways said K doesn't encourage redshirting.

In one sense it looks like a mistake not to have asked him to take a medical redshirt. Yet looked at another way, maybe Z wouldn't "fit" next year's team the way he's fit, and perfected, this year's team. Next year's team will surely be an entirely different animal, much faster paced. Although I have been surprised at Z's stamina and energy, I do look forward to the Plumlees getting up and down the court. Despite his amazing emergence, that's not Z's game.

So rather than bemoaning Z's "lost year," I'm more than satisfied at how beautifully things have worked out. No need to "what if" here. It's the 'what" that counts, and what Z has brought is an incredible surprise [except to those of you who knew what he had all along].

It's true. Next year's team (especially if Smith stays, which I assume will happen) appears to be much more suited to play up-tempo. That's not really conducive to Zoubek's game.

This year's team morphed into the perfect fit for Zoubek - we slowed tempo, executed a methodical half-court offense, emphasized pounding the boards, and didn't overextend on perimeter defense. And he stepped up tremendously into the system.

I'm just so happy that Zoubek was finally healthy and strong enough to be an impact player this year. And I'm happy that the team's approach matched up well so that we could really take advantage of him now that he's healthy and strong. What a terrific way for him to go out on a very high note.

Here's hoping we get one more win tonight and he and Scheyer, Thomas, and maybe even Singler (though I hope not!) can go out as NCAA champions.

NSDukeFan
04-05-2010, 10:52 AM
It's true. Next year's team (especially if Smith stays, which I assume will happen) appears to be much more suited to play up-tempo. That's not really conducive to Zoubek's game.

This year's team morphed into the perfect fit for Zoubek - we slowed tempo, executed a methodical half-court offense, emphasized pounding the boards, and didn't overextend on perimeter defense. And he stepped up tremendously into the system.

I'm just so happy that Zoubek was finally healthy and strong enough to be an impact player this year. And I'm happy that the team's approach matched up well so that we could really take advantage of him now that he's healthy and strong. What a terrific way for him to go out on a very high note.

Here's hoping we get one more win tonight and he and Scheyer, Thomas, and maybe even Singler (though I hope not!) can go out as NCAA champions.

I agree with both you and Gumbomoop that maybe Z wouldn't fit in as well on next year's team. I will mention though, that Brian has been moving very well and a team can always use someone defensively who clogs the middle and communicates well. I wonder if he would have been even more valuable next year, if the team pressures more on the perimeter. Someone who can offensive rebound is always valuable as well, and it is not like Brian has been demanding a certain number of shots. If the team ran more, I still think Brian would have been a very valuable contributor, just not as a finisher on the break.

greybeard
04-05-2010, 11:38 AM
If Duke had Zoubek next year. the team's style might well have been molded towards him. He is just beginning to show in the last few games what kind of down low force he can be. He is also just beginning to show that he can catch and distribute, aka as against Baylor, as a true pivot player.

He might well have been a STAR player, in every respect on offense.

The strongest, by far, 7 footer in the college game, with inside moves, especially a nice hook delivered with balance and timing that would be alone unstoppable. You make your style fit his. Would the other four run? to their hearts' delight, but only try to finish if it was there. Otherwise, they would wait for Mr. Zoubek to come down and do his thing. That to me would have been the most likely scenario if Zoubek had another year.

CameronBornAndBred
04-05-2010, 11:51 AM
This is from the ESPN article that Ambitiouspear posted above..

"We spent a lot of time recuperating after surgery with Brian," Paul Zoubek said. "There were a lot of low moments, a lot of low moments, but he didn't want to redshirt. He wanted to play."

It was Z's decision to continue, not the staff's. Read the article, he continuously talks about his drive to compete and prove himself. I've loved Zoubs for the 4 years he has been here, always waiting for that year when he would play significant minutes. It has been awesome to finally see that happen, we aren't playing in tonight's game without Z's contributions. We aren't even playing in the Elite 8 without Brian. Thanks Z for the 4 years, best of luck in your future. (NBA bound, and he's earned it)

ReformedAggie
04-05-2010, 11:57 AM
If my grandson ever wants to quit a sport (or anything else for that matter) for any reason, I'm going to read him the Brian Zoubec story...including all the mean things that were said about him on this board, including the times I screamed at the telecast "get the ball above your shoulders" (insert bad word here). Brian is the best example I've seen recently for not quitting on yourself, even when others quit on you. Thank you Brian, we were wrong, you were GREAT. I'll miss you so much.

ncexnyc
04-05-2010, 11:59 AM
Here's another article on the Bearded Beast of the East.

http://www.cbssports.com/columns/writers/dodd?tag=pageRow;pageContainer

Loved it accept for that line about taking out one Butler.

dukestheheat
04-05-2010, 12:40 PM
Brian,

I do credit Duke's late-season resurgence to you! I think when you were able to step it up a notch on the rebounding and scoring end, that helped Duke step up a notch and that's where we are right now! Thank you so much for all your efforts, for your hard work in the practices, and for sticking with the program at Duke. Your hard work has paid off and hopefully, tonight you will stand on the podium with the whole team/staff and see that Shining Moments video as Duke's latest NATIONAL CHAMPION.

Go Duke!

dukestheheat.

greybeard
04-05-2010, 12:52 PM
Here's another article on the Bearded Beast of the East.

http://www.cbssports.com/columns/writers/dodd?tag=pageRow;pageContainer

Loved it accept for that line about taking out one Butler.

Butler dislocated his knee by planting his left foot and pushing dead right to jump past Zoubek. The knee went out (it feels like the lower leg moves past the femur and gets yanked back in alignment) way before contact.

BD80
04-05-2010, 01:57 PM
I find it highly amuzing and gratifying to see some of the Zoubek haters from seasons past (and early in this season) stepping up and eating bits of crow. He proved you all wrong. That foul machine that shouldn't see the floor has become a "dominating" big man who is the difference in out final four run.

Although the most tasty bits of crow are being snapped up, there is still plenty to be had. So anyone who posted that Zoubek shouldn't start or that Miles or Mason should be getting more minutes than Z, let's hear you now.

Yeah, I know, most won't admit it. Which makes those that have even more impressive, props to you guys - credibility intact.

This might also be a good thread for those to fess up who doubted Wojo's ability to coach big men or questioned Coach K's line up or substitution pattern. Aw hell, those who thought K was overplaying Scheyer to the point of exhaustion can get in line too.

We probably have a better chance of seeing Santa Claus in line with the Easter Bunny and a classy fan from the WVU student section!

ncexnyc
04-05-2010, 03:13 PM
Butler dislocated his knee by planting his left foot and pushing dead right to jump past Zoubek. The knee went out (it feels like the lower leg moves past the femur and gets yanked back in alignment) way before contact.

I do believe we all know the circumstances of the injury, unfortunately this writer chose to throw in a dumb remark, which will be seized upon by Duke haters everywhere.

NSDukeFan
04-05-2010, 03:31 PM
If Duke had Zoubek next year. the team's style might well have been molded towards him. He is just beginning to show in the last few games what kind of down low force he can be. He is also just beginning to show that he can catch and distribute, aka as against Baylor, as a true pivot player.

He might well have been a STAR player, in every respect on offense.

The strongest, by far, 7 footer in the college game, with inside moves, especially a nice hook delivered with balance and timing that would be alone unstoppable. You make your style fit his. Would the other four run? to their hearts' delight, but only try to finish if it was there. Otherwise, they would wait for Mr. Zoubek to come down and do his thing. That to me would have been the most likely scenario if Zoubek had another year.

I agree. Isn't it nice to have a 7 footer who makes such good decisions with the ball? Defending a passer in the post is difficult for any team.

greybeard
04-05-2010, 03:48 PM
One last thing, well, my MaMa always says don't make promises . . ., so forget the intro, I think that Z's post-Maryland emergence has done volumes for Miles and Mason.

I believe that Duke's current style was not particularly to their liking; heck, no one seemed to see the value of it as it was emerging, even those of us who were Z fans early and often and throughout. Z not only proved that there was enormous dignity to be had in playing what otherwise might have been considered a subordinate role, but also literally reached back to pull the Plumlees along, making them, in particular Miles se, that he, Brian, the ZOUBERMAN, NEEDED his teammates to follow suit and have his back. They have and their individual talents in other areas are emerging as well.

Some things are priceless. What a legacy.

stickdog
04-05-2010, 04:38 PM
memories from long ago in this same lifetime (http://dukebasketballreport.net/forums/showthread.php?t=18134)

CameronBornAndBred
04-05-2010, 04:58 PM
memories from long ago in this same lifetime (http://dukebasketballreport.net/forums/showthread.php?t=18134)

That's cool, I started that what seems eons ago now. We need a link to the story for better reference..but 2 things are obvious.
His "hands" have vastly improved this season since then, and he is in more control. I never see him dribbling any more.
His slimming down helped tons. He has figured out the best way to use his body, and his increased mobility is due to the effort he put in the weight room.

billy
04-05-2010, 05:20 PM
Just heard an interview with John Thompson (II) on the radio. Regarding Zoubek:

"He's the period that ends all sentences. There's no longer a question mark whatsoever."

hurley1
04-05-2010, 06:59 PM
zoo will simply GO OFF tonight........he has the perfect situation for him to just unleash and control........and he will.........if you think your opinion of him is high now, wait until the night is done........he is going to be a monster against butler........they have absolutely nothing or nobody to throw at him.......

Welcome2DaSlopes
04-05-2010, 07:07 PM
With three offensive rebounds he either ties or breaks the season record at duke.

Spam Filter
04-05-2010, 07:28 PM
Zoubek is now listed on Draftexpress as a late 2nd round pick.

Duke Mom
04-05-2010, 07:35 PM
From an article in today's NY Times (Sports pg. 3):

Unusual Zoubek stat, lol:

"He is so physical that his own teammates have received more than 100 stitches from blows that he has doled out in practice."

gumbomoop
04-05-2010, 08:44 PM
I find it highly amuzing and gratifying to see some of the Zoubek haters from seasons past (and early in this season) stepping up and eating bits of crow. He proved you all wrong. That foul machine that shouldn't see the floor has become a "dominating" big man who is the difference in out final four run.

Although the most tasty bits of crow are being snapped up, there is still plenty to be had. So anyone who posted that Zoubek shouldn't start or that Miles or Mason should be getting more minutes than Z, let's hear you now.

Yeah, I know, most won't admit it. Which makes those that have even more impressive, props to you guys - credibility intact.

This might also be a good thread for those to fess up who doubted Wojo's ability to coach big men or questioned Coach K's line up or substitution pattern. Aw hell, those who thought K was overplaying Scheyer to the point of exhaustion can get in line too.

We probably have a better chance of seeing Santa Claus in line with the Easter Bunny and a classy fan from the WVU student section!

I hope you'll consider revisiting this thread after the game this evening, so that you might revise your unfortunate choice of words, "Zoubek haters." I think that the vast majority of Z-critiques were in the spirit of constructive, if frustrated, criticism. One or two were over the top, but not many.

Heaven knows all of us, probably literally every poster, might remind fellow and sister posters of some side of a debate that we were right about. You [and others, not you alone] proved wonderfully prescient re Z. But even Z's critics were correct that he needed to work on keeping the ball up, limit fouls, etc. That he emerged mid-season is cause for celebration, not "friendly fire."

So, I guess I'll eat a little crow- but very little, as the way you've served it up is rather unappetizing - re Z, for I would never have imagined him becoming the glue he's become.

I'm gonna pass on the crow re Wojo's bona fides and the whole multi-thread argument re overplaying 3-S. I personally avoided those threads, fearing death by friendly fire.

Please do at least consider revising that word "haters." Please.

DukieInBrasil
04-05-2010, 09:22 PM
http://sports.espn.go.com/ncb/tournament/2010/columns/story?columnist=oneil_dana&id=5055071

it's a nice story about Z's career at Duke, with a few errors thrown in. But there are some really nice pics of Z getting nasty!!!

DukieInBrasil
04-05-2010, 11:39 PM
Z had one of the most clutch sequences right at the end, grabbing the board and making a FT. Pulled down 10rebs and was just a massive presence all night. You're a National Champion now big man!!!! Well done!!!

Welcome2DaSlopes
04-05-2010, 11:40 PM
ZOUBERMAN!!!!!!!!!!!!Yeah

GoingFor#5
04-05-2010, 11:41 PM
Z you are the freaking man!! Never seen a player improve so much......bless you my man, congrats on the title!!!!!!!!!!!

_Gary
Thank you Zman! I thought it was a huge mistake to purposely miss that second FT, but it turned out OK!!! Whew!!!

DUKE IS KING - AGAIN!!!!

RainingThrees
great challenge on that Hayward shot. National champs baby!!!!

Welcome2DaSlopes
04-05-2010, 11:43 PM
I LOVE ZOUBEK !!!!!!!!!!! Yeah baby

banneheim
04-05-2010, 11:45 PM
Zoubs, great defense on the shot. I would have settled for you making that last FT but GREAT GAME and CONGRATS. I LOVE THIS DUKE TEAM!

Welcome2DaSlopes
04-05-2010, 11:50 PM
Zoubek what a way to finish your college b-ball career

DevilHorns
04-05-2010, 11:55 PM
Zoubek with the hand in Heywards face with 4 fouls. Can you believe it. Perfect.

In the end it was defense. I love this Duke team.

superdave
04-05-2010, 11:57 PM
Brian Zoubek!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! !!!!!!!!!

I love you, man!

SharkD
04-06-2010, 01:03 AM
Happy 22nd Birthday, Brian Zoubek!

Thank you for the best party favor a Duke fan could ask for:
http://imgur.com/WbqjB.png

pfrduke
04-06-2010, 01:04 AM
All I have to say is...

Z!!!

Chicago 1995
04-06-2010, 01:10 AM
Thank you Brian for your heart and your toughness.

Duke won a championship tonight, and they won it because of you. We wouldn't have won tonight without you. We wouldn't have been in Indy without you.

You played as big a role in winning that title and hanging that banner as anyone. Look at it with pride everytime you come back.

And come back often. We'd love to celebrate again and again with you.

JamminJoe
04-06-2010, 01:10 AM
Incredible season and none of it would have been possible without Zoubek turning around his game. He was amazingly consistently good the last month and a half of the season.

dukelifer
04-06-2010, 01:17 AM
The old timers will remember Ala Abdelnaby who ended up averaging 15 points as the best turnaround of a player in his senior year- well Zoubs will now be remembered as that guy. K said his play was the difference in this stretch and he took out 3.75 years of frustration in the last 16 games. What a transformation.

bluedevil007
04-06-2010, 01:21 AM
Incredible season and none of it would have been possible without Zoubek turning around his game. He was amazingly consistently good the last month and a half of the season.

I have to admit that I was one of the "fans" who sometimes doubted Brian. That being said, there is no way that we would have done this without him. Great job Brian!. Thank you for working so hard through rehab and in practice. It really paid off in the end.

cptnflash
04-06-2010, 01:31 AM
It was so great to hear Coach K give Brian some serious props in the post game press conference. My wife almost cried.

bjornolf
04-06-2010, 01:32 AM
Thank you, Zoubek. Without you, we wouldn't have won the title. Probably wouldn't have even gotten there.

ZOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO!!!

Rudy
04-06-2010, 10:50 AM
How nice for Brian to shine in the last two possessions to make the NC possible. I watched the last minute of the game again this morning.

On Singler's miss, Brian was sandwiched between two Butler players on the rebound. Howard was climbing over his left shoulder and Brian shoved him back with his left arm while trying to corral the ball with his right. He couldn't grab it with one hand and so the Butler player on his right reached in for it. As they both tumbled to the floor, the ball hit Brian's foot and rolled out of bounds.

On Butler's possession, Brian's hustle and long reach enabled him to deflect the ball off the baseline near the corner. Guarding the inbound pass Brian forced a long pass to Hayward, who managed to get loose from Kyle for a good shot on the right side of the lane. But Brian came out to help and Hayward had to make it a fadeaway and had to alter his shot over the "leaping" Zoubek. Brian turned quickly back to the basket to grab the rebound and draw the inevitable foul. Then he sank the free throw and made sure his miss on the second hit the rim.

In the replays it looked like the first hug Brian collected was from Wojo. Yeah, the guy who can't coach big men.:rolleyes:

tbyers11
04-06-2010, 11:36 AM
I loved Brian getting so many props from Coach K and so many questions in the post game presser. The kid played through some major injuries during his sophomore and junior seasons and stuck it out and became a dominant force the last two months of his senior year.

Here is a great article (http://www.basketballprospectus.com/article.php?articleid=1063) from Kevin Pelton at Basketball Prospectus that lauds Brian and gives his season stats before the Feb 13th MD game and after (below)

2P% FT% TS% OR40 DR40 PF40 MPG
---------------------------------------------------
B.M. .522 .474 .526 6.4 6.9 10.4 15.0
A.M. .667 .690 .688 7.4 9.4 6.1 23.9

Fouling less and therefore staying on the floor more was a obviously a key to Z's success. But it wasn't just more minutes. All of his numbers went up drastically too. Thanks for fighting through the first 3.5 years Brian to give us a great last 2 months.

SharkD
04-06-2010, 11:48 AM
The front page article is incorrect.

Today is Brian Zoubek's 22nd Birthday.

http://www.goduke.com/ViewArticle.dbml?DB_OEM_ID=4200&ATCLID=620667

grossbus
04-06-2010, 11:57 AM
As noted often and accurately, the mid- season transformation of Z into Zouperman transformed this team into a contender and last night into a national champion.

As he departs triumphant, Z needs to take the plumblebees aside and tell them the secret, give them the spell, make the potion, or whatever it was that led to his elevation to rebounding megaforce and scoring threat. So armed, the plumblebees could help us return to this joyus status.

NovaScotian
04-06-2010, 12:10 PM
please correct the title of this thread to legaZ. thank you.

jaredv23
04-06-2010, 12:11 PM
For all the injuries, setbacks, etc. that Big Z has had, he really came on this year and elevated his game in all aspects. ZOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO, you will be missed!!

Starter
04-06-2010, 12:11 PM
This is the ultimate appreciation for Zoubek -- the entire country has begun to realize how crucial he was for a national title team. He's in every highlight package making the plays that led to Duke's eventual victory. He's in every highlight package as the first player seen celebrating Duke's victory in a mix of a half-second of agony, when Hayward's ball was on the backboard, and then jubilation as he ran toward his teammates. Virtually every pundit picked up on calling him "The X Factor."

Which he needs to leverage. This may not be original, but I think Zoubek should begin referring to himself in the first person exclusively as "The Z Factor."

And since he'd never do that himself (nor should he), I'm going to start.

WordLife565
04-06-2010, 12:23 PM
Thank you Zoubek, but you REALLY, and I mean REALLY scared the I'm a real wanker for saying this.I'm a real wanker for saying this.I'm a real wanker for saying this.I'm a real wanker for saying this. out of me when you purposefully missed that FT and damn near made us lose the game. Probably one of the worst decisions ever, I thought Zoubs was on crack.

but It worked out in the end, so we don't have to kill you, and can instead praise you.

Matches
04-06-2010, 12:26 PM
Thank you Zoubek, but you REALLY, and I mean REALLY scared the I'm a real wanker for saying this.I'm a real wanker for saying this.I'm a real wanker for saying this.I'm a real wanker for saying this. out of me when you purposefully missed that FT and damn near made us lose the game. Probably one of the worst decisions ever, I thought Zoubs was on crack.

but It worked out in the end, so we don't have to kill you, and can instead praise you.

Quoth Zoubek: "I wasn't freelancing." That one was all K.

And quoth K: "What the hell - it worked!"

CLT Devil
04-06-2010, 12:41 PM
I gave Z a hard time in threads and to friends...even got a slap on the wrist from the Mods here. Boy was I wrong. I apologize for being a naysayer. I never tried to be negative, but I'm sure it came across that way...he used to frustrate the heck out of me. I think he finally got healthy, and, at least to me, became the reason we won the title. We got better when we won that MD game and kept on getting better throughout the year...thanks in large part to Zoubs. He was the difference. Z, I am sorry, I was wrong. You are a HUGE BEAST! Thank you for sticking with Duke, even with fans like me who questioned your ability. I think I respect you as much as any Dukie I can remember. Thank you for the joy you provided me.:o

Devils....Natty Champs!

grossbus
04-06-2010, 02:59 PM
"I'm a real wanker for saying this"

your call is correct!

Zeke
04-06-2010, 06:09 PM
I've watched Duke BB for more years than I care to remember. Each year always seemed to be the same - good outside shooters who could knock down 3's (after the rule was changed to allow 3 point shots) - undersized post players (who if they went pro were 3's or 4's -not 5's). This year was different - at least in the last half of the year as we had BZ. I seriously think he was the difference in this team's winning it all and the previous years wher we were out in 1st or 2nd round. I am so glad he stayed - I hope he is too instead of transferring to somewhere he could have been a star earlier. He was the difference this year.

CPDUKEGUY24
04-06-2010, 06:15 PM
Pride/Happiness (motivational movie type) are the two words that come to mind when I think a/b what Z has done in his 4 years here.

The guy has a tremendous heart/ High IQ (on and off court)/ vast amounts of work ethic!

Your plight is inspirational, and you deserve everything that comes your way because of it.

These things will forever be in my memories when I think of "The Legend of Big Z" :D:p

JohnGalt
04-07-2010, 02:27 PM
I wanted to bump this thread because it was recently brought to my attention (draftexpress) that Zoubs is now projected in the late second round.

Admittedly, I wasn't much a fan of Brian (putting it mildly) for 3.5 years, but from the Maryland game in Cameron on, he's made me a believer. Thus, I'd like to propose the following question(s):

Are there any NBA GMs that will be believers too? Do you all think he has a place in the NBA?

Matches
04-07-2010, 02:29 PM
I thihk he'll at least get a cup of coffee in the League. He's 7'1", rebounds well, isn't afraid to throw his weight around. At minimum he could be a useful practice player for someone.

Starter
04-07-2010, 02:47 PM
As a Knicks fan, I'll take him over this freaking guy (http://www.nba.com/knicks/roster/eddy_curry.html).

In all seriousness, I really do think he's going to find a spot in the league, not as a star or anything, but still. I could see him doing well for himself as a defensive specialist backup center.

NM Duke Fan
04-07-2010, 02:52 PM
He moved quite well the latter part of the season, good recovery from hedging, decent foot movement, excellent screening, agressive rebounding, good strength. He is just now hitting his stride and getting into a rhythm, finding out what he can do when healthy. I suspect he will get some looks for the second round, and if not drafted, will have a solid chance at being a free agent.

gep
05-01-2010, 03:36 AM
I had to go back aways to find the Zoubs threads... but I always liked Zoubs... even during the first 3.5 years. His last 0.5 years was just fantastic. I even "imagined" with innocent wide eyes that he would lead Duke to the NC, and be the FF MOP. Well, he didn't get MOP, but it is apparently widely considered that he was that last piece that helped Duke to the NC. I'm SO happy for Zoubs... and this picture says it all...

http://www.blogcdn.com/ncaabasketball.fanhouse.com/media/2010/04/gyi00600873402.jpg

(picture from this link http://ncaabasketball.fanhouse.com/2010/04/29/life-of-brian-zoubek-is-still-a-dream/)

THANKS BRIAN!!!!:)

kingboozer
05-01-2010, 12:14 PM
I think Zoubek would be a great fit in San Antonio, good chance to get some mentoring from Duncan for the next few seasons would be good for him in my honest opinion. Had the pleasure to meet Zoubs and he was an extremely nice guy, I hope all the best for him and his career!

gumbomoop
05-01-2010, 12:45 PM
As one who posted, at beginning of both '08-'09 and '09-'10 seasons, that Z should redshirt, my thoughts re his past and future are mixed. One might argue that, in the end, things could not possibly have worked out better for him, as he showed to NBA scouts just enough of his potential in being a key component in the wonderful NC run. One might, on the other hand, argue that, had he redshirted in '08-'09, he'd still have another year of eligibility in which to really show what he can do, once gotten healthy. [Note that I delicately ignore here my recommendation, back in Aug-Sept '09, that he redshirt in '09-'10. Wow, dumb, dumber, dumbest.....]

But, even if one might regret his absence in '10-'11, and claim it was in his NBA-interest to play healthy for another year, and even imagine how much better he'd make us [better than preseason #1??] in '10-'11 -- even given all that, I'm both extremely happy for his late-blooming-brilliance [a no-brainer, to be sure], and certainly not unhappy that his graduating opens up the interior for the MPs and RK to get their chance to shine now.

mr. synellinden
05-03-2010, 05:53 PM
Not sure if this has been posted yet - but here is the draftexpress scouting report (http://www.draftexpress.com/profile/Brian-Zoubek-1136/)on Z. It suggests he might have a long career in the NBA. I hope they are right.

greybeard
05-03-2010, 08:52 PM
Larry Brown gets to coach Zoubek, I like his chances to have a very fruitful and long NBA career. Think of all the Bigs whose offense improved dramatically under Brown, including the 7'4" guy in Indiana, and Big Ben at Detroit.

Larry grew up in an environment and playing with All-Americans whose style was to play around a pivot player, who was key to an offense. Larry, as a 5'8" finisher understands what it takes to play with advantage around the rim, and how to set up advantage by becoming proficient from a place, if guarded, you can get to the rim, at least as well as anyone who has played the game. He helps players of all sizes understand how to construct the game around players' getting to make catches in such places have a triple option off the catch--shooting, going left or right (with variations depending on whether facing the basket or not)--and reading defenses to take what the defense leaves open without help.

Brian knows a fair amount of this already. However, Larry is a genuis in constructing a team in which people learn to see the game in ways that take account of how the other guys on the floor see it. I think a guy with Zoubek's smarts will really appeal to him.

I hope that Brown takes Brian Zoubek, where ever Brown happens to be when the draft happens, which I hope for Brown's sake is not Charlotte. Zoubek would make a great back up center in Philly if Brown is the coach there.

Zoubek has a real chance to play 10 years in the league if he gets to play 1. The 1 will be the hard part.