PDA

View Full Version : MOTM: Duke vs. WVU

JBDuke
04-03-2010, 11:48 PM
Who was Man of the Match in Duke's semi-final win over West Virginia?

somf4eva
04-03-2010, 11:50 PM
singler. great game after his dud against baylor

GoingFor#5
04-03-2010, 11:52 PM
Kyle. We needed him to bounce back and I think we are best when we get off to a good start which he did getting us going tonight.

fisheyes
04-03-2010, 11:52 PM
I can't vote for any "one" person. This was the ultimate definition of a team win!

Go Duke!

4decadedukie
04-03-2010, 11:53 PM
Very difficult question for this game; I'll go with Jon, but honestly -- and in my heart -- want to select "THE TEAM," since superb contributions were made by so many.

Welcome2DaSlopes
04-03-2010, 11:53 PM
For the first time this year, I will not vote, This was a Team win.

Team should be an option

Newton_14
04-03-2010, 11:54 PM
I am going to need to sleep on this one and vote tomorrow. I am torn between the 3 guys in The Firm, Devil Weapon 3, the 3 S's. Man what a great game those guys played as well as Zoubs, LT, and the rest of the guys.

Hard choice.

TheRob8801
When the team plays as singular as it did in this game, it's hard to pick one...

...but the way Zoub's stood tough in this game and got some great rebounds and some absolutely crucial assists, I have to give him the nod. He set the "tone" of this game while Kyle set the "pace"...

camion
There was no way I could choose among Smith, Scheyer and Singler so I voted for Zoubs.

In truth this was a total team win, our most complete game of the year.

OldSchool
Since all 3 of the Ss had great games, as did Zoubek, and indeed Lance, it was impossible to decide.

So I approached it on a golf handicap basis - Jordan Davidson draining a three in the Final Four against the Big East T champion - in a way it sums up how sweet this entire year has been (so far!), in a way.

Les Grossman
04-03-2010, 11:57 PM
But I loved how Zou owned the key area. He got every big rebound. Just a mountain out there.

mph
04-03-2010, 11:59 PM
I'm sitting this one out. I can't find a good reason to prefer one of the big three over the other two.

MarkD83
Schmingler

mgtr
I put my hand in the fire for Singler, but my fondest wish is that we have a three way tie for first, with Zoubek a close second. Everybody made important plays tonight. People that didn't know or care much about Duke prior to tonight had to be impressed. I would say we did a workmanlike job of dismantling what West Virginia does well, so that we could win in nearly a laugher. Payback for the last time.
It was bad that Butler got hurt, and I think we all hope it is not as serious as it appeared.

34dukegal
were's the schmingler option?

hedevil
04-04-2010, 12:02 AM
Gave the slightest edge to Kyle for rebounding(mentally) from the last game.

flyingdutchdevil
04-04-2010, 12:02 AM
Because all three were firing on all cylinders, I went with Nolan. He has a place in my heart.

I know, doesn't make sense. But you gotta do what your heart tells you to do.

Welcome2DaSlopes
04-04-2010, 12:03 AM
were's the schmingler option?

+1 Zouberman

killerleft
04-04-2010, 12:04 AM
Great team win. So Jordan Davidson gets my vote to reinforce that.

34dukegal
04-04-2010, 12:04 AM
Voted for Davidson because I can't pick between the starters!

NSDukeFan
04-04-2010, 12:06 AM
I voted for Singler, but really tough choice with all of the big 3 firing on all cylinders, and Zoubs doing a great job in the paint. What a performance. I would love to see something like that on Monday night.

strawbs
04-04-2010, 12:07 AM
i'd vote for everyone if i could, but went with BIG Z because he took one in the manhood.

pamtar
04-04-2010, 12:08 AM
Team should be an option, as should Coach K.

OZZIE4DUKE
04-04-2010, 12:09 AM
I vote ZZZhmingler!

Papa John
04-04-2010, 12:10 AM
How could you possibly pick one player tonight? Scheyer, Singler, and Smith all brought their A+ games tonight. I say it's a 3-way tie. And that's not to slight the amazing contributions from everyone else -- Zoubs, Lance, both Plumlees all gave valuable minutes... But, holy moly! Were the Big 3 ever on a mission tonight!!!

DukeDevilDeb
04-04-2010, 12:11 AM
The better question tonight is who didn't play a great game?

Jon, Kyle, Nolan... both offense and defense were stunning!

Zoubs and Lance owned the boards and contributed 6 points between them (I think)

The Plumlees were great and each got two points.

And Jordan Davidson hits a beautiful 3 in Indy...

But I can't vote for any one of them. This is the best team win that this team has had... and that's saying something.

I'm planning to say the same thing, same time Monday night! :D

Go Devils!

Oh, by the way, I thought Coach K coached an outstanding game as well.

Mr Blue Devil
04-04-2010, 12:12 AM
Where's the Coach K option?!!!

marinbobbyduhon
04-04-2010, 12:12 AM
Schmingler

That's who I wanted to vote for, but since it wasn't an option, I voted for Kyle because he had the hardest defensive assignment and did a great job on Butler, and had a great offensive game to boot.

BobbyFan
04-04-2010, 12:14 AM
Kyle set the tone early. He also made some sweet passes in the 2nd half to Zoubek and a bounce pass to Scheyer, who pump faked and then knocked down a three.

calltheobvious
04-04-2010, 12:27 AM
It's a bad question.

JaMarcus Russell
04-04-2010, 12:28 AM
Usually, it's a pretty straightforward pick, but this time I had to think about it. I went with Scheyer for having a complete game, but Nolan, Kyle, and Zoubek were all very good today.

flyingdutchdevil
04-04-2010, 12:32 AM
Usually, it's a pretty straightforward pick, but this time I had to think about it. I went with Scheyer for having a complete game, but Nolan, Kyle, and Zoubek were all very good today.

JaMarcus, isn't there a Greg Gumbel option?

greybeard
04-04-2010, 12:35 AM
Singler came back as I expect and is the best player in the ncountry right now. Scheyer might have had the best game of his career. His legs seemed under him, now flailing leg on the three, no pasting them together as against Baylor which worked well but not like tonight, took it to the rim, threw it inside, defended well, had terrific poise with and without the ball, really seemed to be enjoying himself and dead set on beating what W va threw at them. Oh, what I said about Jon, the same for Smith.

Lance played great defense, rebounded great, was tough physically, I'm not talking Duke tough, I'd talking Christian Laetner-upi-take-me down-you-are going-to-get up-slow tough, knocked down a long ball. Zoubek scores two right off the bat at the rim after smooth roll off a pick and an athletic catch, and then dominatd on both sides, with no one coming close to his intensity and his athletic dominance by efficient and smart use of all he has. No mistakes!

This team was ready, as a team and as individuals to dominate W Va.

I think that it might well have as many successful NBAers as any team in Duke history. Sur real. The growth of this team, and their abilty to deploy differently each of the two games in ways that they have never done before (was I the only one almost choking up when Jon or someone else threw it to Z, he held it with poise time and again, sometimes finding someone for something really good, but never letting people rush him,?)

A story book season. Naturally, the heads are talking about Butler as the surprise team as Duke storms through the tournament when not one of them had them getting anywhere near they are, and that was just two-four weeks ago.

POTM, the team. COTY, K. POTY, at least in the ACC, Jon. Singler and Smith, among the top 10 pro prospects this year, maybe top 5. Mind numbing.

Hey a shout out to Miles, you were awesome and to Mason, almost as awesome.

mgtr
04-04-2010, 12:41 AM
We are incredibly lucky to have three players who can (almost) score at will. We have a five cylinder engine which fire on three for sure, and on the other in special siturations. Take away Lance and Zoubs, and we are toast. Now how to they get replaced by the Plumlees next year? A really tough summer for those young men!!!!

Highlander
04-04-2010, 12:49 AM
No vote from me. Complete game from the TEAM. They were the "MEN" of the match.

Reddevil
04-04-2010, 01:03 AM
Kyle b/c of his "O", but also because he shut Butler down on "D". The difference he made by having a big scoring night and negating Butler was the biggest difference in my mind. Of course I also think it was the best team performance of the year. WVU is VERY good team. Duke did something special tonight.

hotbutteredseoul
04-04-2010, 01:05 AM
I went with Nolan simply because he managed to put together a GREAT defensive performance AFTER he picked up his 3 fouls. Unbelievable discipline to play as aggressively as he did but to stay out of more foul trouble.

Zeb
04-04-2010, 01:13 AM
Singler hit some very difficult shots, got 5 assists, 9 boards, and played great defense. Everyone on the team had an amazing game, but Singler had the best night on a night when everyone did their job very well.

Indoor66
04-04-2010, 07:53 AM
I think 8 guys deserve the vote - but having only one, I selecte Singler.

OZZIE4DUKE
04-04-2010, 08:18 AM
After much consideration, I voted for Kyle!

devildeac
04-04-2010, 09:00 AM
I selected Jon over Nolan by a whisker. Also because we talked with his Dad for a few minutes outside Lucas before the session began:cool:. Just like we did before we destroyed the 'Zags at MSG in December. I think we're gonna have to "run into" him again before we play Butler on Monday night.;):D

Saratoga2
04-04-2010, 09:17 AM
Voted for Davidson because I can't pick between the starters!

I agree with your sentiment and also voted for Daviidson for the same reason.

ReformedAggie
04-04-2010, 09:18 AM
Can't vote, this was the very definition of TEAM win.
I love this team, love them.

Son of Mojo
04-04-2010, 09:25 AM
I went with Jon but I agree with the consensus, the team should definitely be an option. They worked as a unit and it showed. PLEASE let's see that type of play again for one more game Monday night............. :D

weezie
04-04-2010, 10:14 AM
I agree with the consensus, the team should definitely be an option.

Me too. The five fingered fist. I have not seen this team play so well together ever before. Goosebumps!

dukepsy1963
04-04-2010, 10:17 AM
Everyone was a MOM!

Indoor66
04-04-2010, 10:29 AM
Me too. The five fingered fist. I have not seen this team play so well together ever before. Goosebumps!

Make that an 8 fingered fist and I agree.

PumpkinFunk
04-04-2010, 12:40 PM
If I have to choose, it's easily Nolan - he was the one breaking down the zone early on when it was close. Without his play in the first half and early second half, there's no way we blow them out like we did.

tele
04-04-2010, 03:06 PM
What a great team effort and win! I did vote for Singler, he had a tough matchup with Butler, and really went after it in the first half.

Great job all round, Congrats and go get one more!

cptnflash
04-04-2010, 03:36 PM
All Kyle all the time. Should be a great matchup with Hayward in the final.

bjornolf
04-04-2010, 03:41 PM
I was very happy with Singler's game, but I think it was Zoubek's size just stymied the Mountaineers competely. I have been wondering all week if Kyle was suffering in the Baylor game a little from the fall on his bad wrist in the Purdue game. I was hoping that a few days of rest would get him going again. Judging from his game against WVU, I MIGHT have been right. ;)

Eckster
04-04-2010, 07:39 PM
I like that approach. Team win.;)