PDA

View Full Version : MBB: Butler 52, Michigan State 50

pfrduke
04-03-2010, 06:09 PM
Let me just say, I love that the Butler players pet the bulldog during the lineup introductions.

TNDukeFan
04-03-2010, 06:14 PM
Who does everybody here think Duke would rather play?

BlueHeaven
04-03-2010, 06:14 PM
Me too! I thought the same thing..I wish we had a pet devil:)

riverside6
04-03-2010, 06:15 PM
if you're interested live tempo-based stats for Butler/MSU (http://scacchoops.com/ViewHDGame.asp?hSchedule=6824)

pfrduke
04-03-2010, 06:18 PM
Looks like the dome effect hasn't gotten in the way of the shooters here so far.

hc5duke
04-03-2010, 06:29 PM

on second thought... let's not ;)
http://animaldiversity.ummz.umich.edu/site/resources/ofstedal/couper/devil.jpg/medium.jpg

Welcome2DaSlopes
04-03-2010, 06:32 PM

Butler, but that's just my opinion.

Lulu
04-03-2010, 06:49 PM
Well, judging from this first half it's looking like Duke-WVU is the de facto national title game.

pfrduke
04-03-2010, 07:11 PM
Plus/minusing the first half:

Butler:

Mack: +4 (28-24)
Smith: +4 (8-4)
Vanzant: +2 (10-8)
Nored: +1 (25-24)
Howard: +1 (7-6)
Hayward: 0 (28-28)
Veasley: -4 (18-22)
Hahn: -4 (8-12)
Jukes: -4 (8-12)

Michigan State:

Roe: +3 (20-17)
Allen: +2 (10-8)
Summers: +1 (24-23)
Green: +1 (20-19)
Morgan: +1 (10-9)
Lucious: 0 (28-28)
Kebler: 0 (2-2)
Thornton: -2 (14-16)
Sherman: -2 (6-8)
Nix: -4 (6-10)

gumbomoop
04-03-2010, 07:49 PM
Well, judging from this first half it's looking like Duke-WVU is the de facto national title game.

Huh? None of the Final 4 teams "wins pretty." But they're all tough, have fine coaches, don't give in. I'm typing this at the 11:32 mark of 2d half, and I'd say all 4 teams can still say, "I like our chances." This whole thing is still wide open.

Yes, "I like our chances."

juise
04-03-2010, 07:52 PM
"Butler gets all the calls." ;)

gumbomoop
04-03-2010, 07:54 PM

I myself strongly prefer to play Butler, but not at all because I think they'd be easier to beat. Either team would be a challenge, if we beat WVU.

But the "Butler story" is just too admirable for me not to root hard for them to get to Monday night. The Butler story is wonderful, wonderful.

_Gary
04-03-2010, 07:55 PM
BTW, I've been trying to pay close attention to what Nantz and Kellogg have emphasized or not emphasized in terms of "questionable fouls." Up until the moment I've started typing this (just under 10 minutes to go in the 2nd half) I've not heard either of them harp on anything or do any "wow, that was a bad one" or "wow, ____ got away with one there." Nothing at all. It's been virtually a "wow-less" game in that sense. I just hope we get the same type of dispassioned commentary in our game. If not, and we hear a bunch of "not sure about that one, Jim" advantage-Duke stuff from Kellogg I'll know for sure he's got it in for us.

mgtr
04-03-2010, 07:56 PM
It is clear that this game is going to run way long. Just delays our victory!

TNDukeFan
04-03-2010, 07:58 PM
I've not heard either of them harp on anything or do any "wow, that was a bad one" or "wow, ____ got away with one there."

Huh? I've heard at least two. Didn't you see/hear the one under MSU's basket when the Butler player crashed into the MSU guy? Jim even said, "Isn't that a foul?"

oldnavy
04-03-2010, 08:02 PM
BTW, I've been trying to pay close attention to what Nantz and Kellogg have emphasized or not emphasized in terms of "questionable fouls." Up until the moment I've started typing this (just under 10 minutes to go in the 2nd half) I've not heard either of them harp on anything or do any "wow, that was a bad one" or "wow, ____ got away with one there." Nothing at all. It's been virtually a "wow-less" game in that sense. I just hope we get the same type of dispassioned commentary in our game. If not, and we hear a bunch of "not sure about that one, Jim" advantage-Duke stuff from Kellogg I'll know for sure he's got it in for us.

The mute button is a great option, trust me I never watch a game without it!

_Gary
04-03-2010, 08:03 PM
Huh? I've heard at least two. Didn't you see/hear the one under MSU's basket when the Butler player crashed into the MSU guy? Jim even said, "Isn't that a foul?"

Right. I did hear that, but I didn't hear any passion or indignation with the question from Nantz. When it's Duke related it seems like those type of questions are emphasized to a greater degree and with more emotion.

_Gary
04-03-2010, 08:08 PM
Butler has missed several bunnies that may come back to haunt them.

Getting back to the announcing real quick. Nantz is generally really good about asking the "wasn't that a foul" question very dispassionately - it doesn't generally come off as antagonistic. On the other hand, it seems like Kellogg hasn't really focused on "questionable" fouls very much at all and has made more comments like, "That was just good, hard-nosed defense."

Welcome2DaSlopes
04-03-2010, 08:25 PM
Butler with the win?

Delaware
04-03-2010, 08:27 PM
Just no OT!

Welcome2DaSlopes
04-03-2010, 08:28 PM
Just no OT!

Agreed

_Gary
04-03-2010, 08:29 PM
Not quite yet. And I was amazed how quickly Kellogg dismissed the "block" of the MSU shot a few seconds ago as just "good defense." I'm pretty sure the shooter got hit on the arm.

Newton_14
04-03-2010, 08:31 PM
Butler with the intentional foul. Lets see how it plays out.

slower
04-03-2010, 08:31 PM
You gotta love these guys. :D

Now, let's just take care of business, Blue Devils.

Newton_14
04-03-2010, 08:32 PM
Congrats to Butler. What a story!! I think it is great!

gumbomoop
04-03-2010, 08:34 PM
A gutty victory. Butler plays tough, and will face an equally tough team Monday eve.

A great story.

Go Butler! Go Duke!

BulldogDancer81
04-03-2010, 08:34 PM
AAAAAHHHHHH!!!!! GO BULLDOGS!!! Words cannot possibly begin to describe how I feel right now! I cannot believe my little alma mater will be playing for a National Championship on Monday night.

Now let's Go Blue Devils!

Welcome2DaSlopes
04-03-2010, 08:35 PM
This makes me want to win the wva game Sooo much more, which is hard to do since i wanted Duke to win a lot anyway.

_Gary
04-03-2010, 08:36 PM
Great win. I'm not a fan of MSU, and Butler is such a great team to root for. The only negative for their opponent (whomever it shall be) on Monday night is that it will be a hugely partisan crowd. Should our Blue Devils be fortunate enough to prevail this evening, it will truly be "us against the world" in two days.

gumbomoop
04-03-2010, 08:39 PM
AAAAAHHHHHH!!!!! GO BULLDOGS!!! Words cannot possibly begin to describe how I feel right now! I cannot believe my little alma mater will be playing for a National Championship on Monday night.

Well, I say try to put it into words. You're among friends here, this is a great forum for you to celebrate, so do so. Really!

hedevil
04-03-2010, 08:40 PM
How quickly things can change. Not too long ago, all of the analysts weren't giving DUKE much of a chance in the tourny. Now if DUKE can win one more game those same people are going to label DUKE as the Goliath in the championship game.

TampaDukie
04-03-2010, 08:41 PM
Great win. I'm not a fan of MSU, and Butler is such a great team to root for. The only negative for their opponent (whomever it shall be) on Monday night is that it will be a hugely partisan crowd. Should our Blue Devils be fortunate enough to prevail this evening, it will truly be "us against the world" in two days.
No kidding. Thankfully, we had the Baylor game to prepare us for that kind of setting. But if we manage to get past WVU and play Butler on Monday, over the course of the next two days, I'm sure the media will turn this into the biggest "good vs. evil" allegory ever.

_Gary
04-03-2010, 08:43 PM
No kidding. Thankfully, we had the Baylor game to prepare us for that kind of setting. But if we manage to get past WVU and play Butler on Monday, over the course of the next two days, I'm sure the media will turn this into the biggest "good vs. evil" allegory ever.

Exactly! If we think we are "hated" now... If we somehow got to and won the Championship game it would be seriously over the top. Pretty much the entire civilized world would hate us for ruining the Cinderella story.

strawbs
04-03-2010, 08:45 PM
i completely wanted butler to win, but good lord they got every call in that game. The non call on hayword when green tried to score at the end was horrible. It was pretty obvious that he got hacked on the wrist and that's why the ball missed short.

Welcome2DaSlopes
04-03-2010, 08:46 PM
I would love to see that kind of hate

Merlindevildog91
04-03-2010, 08:48 PM
I could live with being hated on Tuesday morning. Right now I just want us to survive and advance over WVU.

_Gary
04-03-2010, 08:51 PM
i completely wanted butler to win, but good lord they got every call in that game. The non call on hayword when green tried to score at the end was horrible. It was pretty obvious that he got hacked on the wrist and that's why the ball missed short.

The kid from Butler just admitted he hacked the guy on that play. I'm not upset because I wanted Butler to win, but if I was a MSU fan I'd be very upset. Of course when the kid admitted he fouled the press chuckled. Two things about this:

1) I said upthread that Kellogg made no mention of that foul and brushed it off as good defense after only looking at one replay in what I believe was regular speed. Even Nantz seemed surprised that Kellogg brushed it off. No way does that happen if it's Duke. We see multiple, slow-mo replays and Kellogg harps on it for the rest of the game.

2) Had that been, say Lance, that committed the foul and made the comment in the post game there's no way the press laughs. It's a huge double-standard.

I'll be shocked if it gets even 1/4 of the play the Z charge got on ESPN.

Gary

devildownunder
04-03-2010, 08:55 PM

Truer words were never spoken. A Duke-Butler matchup would be portrayed as the ultimate David vs Goliath, good vs evil, all that's right vs all that's wrong, etc. They'll do everything but force us to wear black hats on the floor.

gumbomoop
04-03-2010, 08:56 PM
The kid from Butler just admitted he hacked the guy on that play.

Honesty is actually not always the best policy. Discretion would be much preferable in this situation. He'd have been better off saying something like, "It was a tough play, could have been called either way."

calltheobvious
04-03-2010, 09:02 PM
Truer words were never spoken. A Duke-Butler matchup would be portrayed as the ultimate David vs Goliath, good vs evil, all that's right vs all that's wrong, etc. They'll do everything but force us to wear black hats on the floor.

It's all true, but for the next two hours, Butler is the favorite to win the national championship. Amazing.

-bdbd
04-03-2010, 09:08 PM

You are going to be SOOOOOO conflicted....

;)

-bdbd
04-03-2010, 09:11 PM

I'll be interested to hear from DBR posters who were actually there re. whether the huge Butler crowd played a big role in such a close game. Hmmmm.

Whoever wins the 2nd game will probably be favored for Monday, but it'll be tough playing "at" Butler!!

hedevil
04-03-2010, 09:13 PM
Any chance Butler is rooting for DUKE here? Most likely not. But as a player, wouldn't a championship over DUKE taste so much sweeter? Come on devils!!

hedevil
04-03-2010, 09:18 PM
What a chin!

Welcome2DaSlopes
04-03-2010, 09:23 PM
Crimson chin haha

BulldogDancer81
04-03-2010, 10:22 PM
You are going to be SOOOOOO conflicted....

;)

Hahaha yeah....not as much as I thought I would be. I mean as much as I love Duke (and trust me my friends will vouch for my Blue Devils obsession) I have no real ties to Duke. Butler is my Alma Mater, my home, my school. For those of you who went to Duke (or wherever you went to school) you know that you just feel a special connection with your alma mater's team because we're all Bulldogs (or Blue Devils or etc.) I will be rooting 100% for Butler. Now with that being said it will be rooting for Butler and not rooting against Duke (if that's possible.) And if they do play and Duke wins I will obviously be sad that Butler didn't win but after the initial sadness, I will be very happy that Duke and Coach K have won #4. It just might take me a few days to get to that point.

But I can honestly say I never thought I would see the day that my two favorite teams might* play for the National Championship Game. It truly is amazing. And while it means one of them will have to lose, hopefully* one of them will win it all (20 mins will decide that) While bittersweet, can't ask for better odds than that.

I will be headed to Indy on Monday to experience the Championship Game. Not sure if I will actually go to the game or just watch in a bar downtown or at Hinkle. I just have to be in Indy. I really hope that I am watching Butler-Duke and not Duke-WVa. 20 more minutes guys. Go Duke!!! for the next 20 minutes at least ;)

dukemsu
04-04-2010, 02:02 AM
The kid from Butler just admitted he hacked the guy on that play. I'm not upset because I wanted Butler to win, but if I was a MSU fan I'd be very upset. Of course when the kid admitted he fouled the press chuckled. Two things about this:

Gary

As an MSU fan, I was pretty upset by that and many other very questionable calls. It's not the fouls that were called on MSU. It's the fouls that were not called on Butler. Butler plays defense like Purdue, primarily with their hands and forearms-not their feet.

Butler deserved to win though, as MSU did not make free throws or other close-in shots. However, when you've made your name by being physical, some night it's going to come back and get you. Tonight, it got MSU.

As a Duke fan, I simply love the matchup with Butler. I will be interested to see if Butler is allowed to drape themselves all over ballhandlers as they were today.

dukemsu

House G
04-04-2010, 12:01 PM

1) I said upthread that Kellogg made no mention of that foul and brushed it off as good defense after only looking at one replay in what I believe was regular speed. Even Nantz seemed surprised that Kellogg brushed it off. No way does that happen if it's Duke. We see multiple, slow-mo replays and Kellogg harps on it for the rest of the game.

2) Had that been, say Lance, that committed the foul and made the comment in the post game there's no way the press laughs. It's a huge double-standard.

I'll be shocked if it gets even 1/4 of the play the Z charge got on ESPN.

Gary
Sounds familiar--just ask Carlos Boozer.

BD80
04-04-2010, 01:46 PM

on second thought... let's not ;)
http://animaldiversity.ummz.umich.edu/site/resources/ofstedal/couper/devil.jpg/medium.jpg

Well, since you volunteered :D

Dye our new mascot the appopriate shade of blue and report to Lucas Oil Field by noon tomorrow. I will alert team officials to be on the look-out for a person that looks like Kyle Singler after a rough practice ...