PDA

View Full Version : WLAX to Final Four

burnspbesq
05-19-2007, 09:48 PM
Duke will play Virginia in the national semifinals on Friday night at Franklin Field in Philly.

The other semi pits two-time defending champion Northwestern against the host school, Penn.

The championship game is Sunday afternoon, May 27.

chrishoke
05-24-2007, 08:25 AM
Anyone know if there will be ANY TV coverage of the semifinal games friday night?

Indoor66
05-24-2007, 09:18 AM
I could not find any in South Florida Comcast listings.

chrishoke
05-24-2007, 07:33 PM
How about streaming video coverage?

burnspbesq
05-25-2007, 08:16 PM
Northwestern blasted Penn, 12-2 in the first semifinal game.

Duke and UVa should be starting right about now (8:15 p.m. Eastern time).

YmoBeThere
05-25-2007, 08:32 PM
of when President Keohane was borrowing private jets to attend Men's and Women's Final Fours.

Best of luck to the Women's Lax team, hopefully they can build on what the Women golfers did today!

juise
05-25-2007, 09:22 PM
Solid start... Duke up 8-3 at the end of the first (though UVA outshot Duke 16-14).

burnspbesq
05-25-2007, 09:27 PM
Solid start... Duke up 8-3 at the end of the first (though UVA outshot Duke 16-14).

It's the Kim Imbesi show so far. The Duke goalie has 10 saves.

juise
05-25-2007, 09:56 PM
UVa scored the first goal of the second half to pull within 4 (Duke had been up by as many as 6) and I was hoping that the ladies hadn't lost all momentum. I left the computer to do some dishes and throw out the junk mail. When I came back the Devils had reeled for 5 consecutive goals. It's now 13-4 with 19 minutes remaining.

burnspbesq
05-25-2007, 10:37 PM
Duke had a 13-4 lead with 20 minutes to go.

Virginia scored ten unanswered goals, the last coming with nine seconds to go, to win 14-13.

It's good that this game wasn't on TV. If it had been, I'd be heading out to buy a new TV.

Stray Gator
05-25-2007, 10:48 PM
Duke had a 13-4 lead with 20 minutes to go.

Virginia scored ten unanswered goals, the last coming with nine seconds to go, to win 14-13.

It's good that this game wasn't on TV. If it had been, I'd be heading out to buy a new TV.

I followed the game on Scoretracker, and if that account was accurate, Duke held a 13-4 lead with about 17 minutes left in the game, then proceeded to yield 7 goals in about 5 minutes--an utterly monumental collapse. Reading the play-by-play, it appeared that the Duke women simply quit playing, because all the shots were being taken by Virginia. Congrats to Virginia on an amazing comeback, but what on earth went wrong with the Duke team during the last 17 minutes when they gave up 10 unanswered goals?

throatybeard
05-25-2007, 11:24 PM
Congrats to Virginia on an amazing comeback, but what on earth went wrong with the Duke team during the last 17 minutes when they gave up 10 unanswered goals?

Coach K put the team in a stall.

burnspbesq
05-25-2007, 11:35 PM

You just knew that was coming, didn't you? :rolleyes:

I'm still waiting for K to say (a la Dean's famous comment re the Carolina women's soccer program) that Duke is a women's golf school, and everyone else is just trying to keep up.

Kewlswim
05-25-2007, 11:46 PM
Hi,

Granted, I don't follow other schools (except Stanford) as closely as I do Duke. It seems like Duke has a lot more of these monumental breakdowns than other schools. However, maybe other schools do too and I just don't realize it because I am not keeping tabs.

GO WOMEN'S LAX, Go get 'em next year!

GO DUKE!

bludev03
05-26-2007, 12:20 AM
Maybe it's time for KK to join GG.....you know, get a "fresh start" at another school. She simply chokes in big games, much like GG. Third straight FF, and come home with NOTHING. I know it took PHS 7 FF before she won her first NC, but somebody please clue KK in!

Remember my post about the school's "sports psychologist"???

Very unhappy, semi-confused, but not shocked, and still wondering how the h*ll you can blow a 13-4 second half lead in the FINAL FOUR.....:confused:

OZZIE4DUKE
05-26-2007, 12:55 AM

You just knew that was coming, didn't you? :rolleyes:

And by gawd it is probably right and well deserved.

I don't care the sport and I'll say it again: I hate hate hate HATE the prevent defense/stall ball. All it does is cause the team that runs it to lose. It changes your rythm, the other team catches its breath, momentum changes and then all the "bounces" go their way. I say bury them while you have them down. Don't give them a chance. But noooooo....

hughgs
05-26-2007, 07:01 AM
And by gawd it is probably right and well deserved.

I don't care the sport and I'll say it again: I hate hate hate HATE the prevent defense/stall ball. All it does is cause the team that runs it to lose. It changes your rythm, the other team catches its breath, momentum changes and then all the "bounces" go their way. I say bury them while you have them down. Don't give them a chance. But noooooo....

I hope you're kidding, or at least that you have some information that leads you to believe that the women did actually use a "prevent" defense in the game. If so could you please present it. If you're relying on Throaty's post as a basis, I think he was kidding.

chrishoke
05-26-2007, 07:43 AM
Don't forget, lacrosse can be essentially playing "make it - take it" by winning the face offs after each score.

jimsumner
05-26-2007, 11:04 AM
If they used a prevent/stall tactic yesterday it was the least effective in the history of sport.

Ypu've got to give Virginia credit for not folding up their tents and going home. But still, that's a collapse of epic proportions.

tombrady
05-26-2007, 11:55 PM
what a choke job...seriously, the previous largest comeback ever was 5 goals...

throatybeard
05-27-2007, 12:15 AM
what a choke job...seriously, the previous largest comeback ever was 5 goals...

In an NCAAT game, or what?

Lavabe
05-27-2007, 01:34 AM
The goduke.com site said that one of the players, Carolyn Davis, was "carted off" late in the game. Any details as to what happened?

Thanks,
Lavabe

hughgs
05-27-2007, 06:21 PM
Don't forget, lacrosse can be essentially playing "make it - take it" by winning the face offs after each score.

I totally understand that idea, but I only follow lacrosse as a fan who tries to figure out the rules and strategy without asking anyone's opinion. It keeps the sport very fresh for me, but it completely limits me from making actual comments about the game.

Which is why I asked the question. I could think of a number of ways that the team didn't stall but wanted to give Ozzie a chance to explain. Maybe he's a lacrosse expert or heard something the rest of us did not.

hughgs
05-27-2007, 06:23 PM
The goduke.com site said that one of the players, Carolyn Davis, was "carted off" late in the game. Any details as to what happened?

Thanks,
Lavabe

I heard that she was a defender and had an ACL issue. And that UVA's run started soon afterwards. But, it's all third hand info.

bluedevil
05-27-2007, 08:17 PM
Duke should offer Northwestern's coach the womens lacrosse job. Even with Kimel's ineptitude, Duke's academics and athletic reputation draw the best recruits. Northwestern isn't anywhere near any decent recruits but they dominate Duke and Kimel. Obviously academics are the only thing lacrosse recruits look for with the success of Hopkins, Northwestern, Princeton, Cornell, Georgetown, UVA, Duke, etc., and coaching that doesn't suck, and Duke is the top school that offers scholarships with the worst coach. Does Kimel consider herself a good coach or have some sort of explanation for why schools like UMD, Northwestern, and UVA have much better programs? What next, will NC Central have a better program too?

Interesting that Northwestern is in the womens softball world series while Duke doesn't even have a team. Duke should be dominating baseball and softball like Rice, Stanford, Northwestern, and even UVA, Wake, UNC, etc. Does Duke still offer the fewest scholarships in the ACC and less than Wake Forest even though Wake is a lot more expensive and has no endowment or athletic reputation, why? Why does Duke keep throwing tens of millions down the drain with building projects that do nothing for recruiting?

How much does McCallie and Kimel and Danowski and Brooks make, what about other nonrevenue coaches? When Roof is fired, the next coach is getting $1M+/yr, right?