PDA

View Full Version : Help a good kid out--done

ricks68
04-02-2010, 08:29 PM
Just to let ya'll know, it took the alums here in Houston 7 whole minutes, after being notified by Kenny, to raise the money she needs. :):):) So, I would think DBR needs to change the headline and/or change the content-----if anyone is at home and not in Indy.:D

ricks

OZZIE4DUKE
04-02-2010, 08:32 PM
Great job by the Houston alums! But one question: Julio's write up says she is in 11th grade. I thought the Duke TIP program was for 7th graders? Right, wrong or has it changed?

anon
04-02-2010, 08:39 PM
TIP serves students going into 8th, 9th, 10th, and 11th grades.

What I'm curious about is why TIP's financial aid didn't pitch in as much as it clearly needed to...

ricks68
04-02-2010, 08:54 PM
I don't know much about the program now, but she is in 11th grade. My daughter also did it when she was in 7th grade, but that was like 17 years ago.

I would cut and paste the letter that she sent to us alums describing what she will be doing, but I would rather not, as I do not know if that is appropriate. Her letter was sent to our alum rep, Jamie Wynne, and he disseminated it to us. Outstanding letter----along with a great supporting letter from her guidance counselor, a Va Tech grad. Maybe Jamie will get a chance to see this thread and be able to post it, and the follow-ups, because it's one of those feel-good kinda things that is really worth being a part of.:)

I will relay, however, that the program she is entering is called: Above and Beyond: Physics, Astronomy, and Astrobiology; and, that she is applying to Duke next year as her first choice.

ricks

ricks68
04-02-2010, 08:56 PM
She did get financial aid for more than half of it, but it is very expensive and she was considerably short the rest.

ricks

miramar
04-02-2010, 09:10 PM
And yet they hate us! What's not to like?

diablesseblu
04-02-2010, 09:37 PM
What a great story.....and a terrific way to kick off Final Four weekend!

Go Devils!

DukieInKansas
04-02-2010, 09:46 PM
The call goes out: "Houston, we have a problem" and an amazingly quick response to fill a need. Thank you, Houston!

You make us all proud to be part of such a wonderful group.

Let's Go, Duke.

DukieInKansas
04-02-2010, 09:48 PM
Here is a link to the program she wants, and will now, attend: http://www.tip.duke.edu/summer_programs/SFS_docs/PARI.pdf

(At least if I topeka'd it correctly. :D )