PDA

View Full Version : Thank You Duke Basketball

obsesseddukefan
04-02-2010, 05:43 PM
Well, in a few hours I leave and head to Indy. I wanted to make this post a thank you of sorts. A year ago on the 22nd I lost my best friend Marcus. He was 33 years of age. It crushed me and still haunts me to this day. As the time passes its gets easier to deal with but if it wasnt for my love of Duke basketball I think I would have gone down a darker path than I did. The turn around happened at Countdown To Crazieness in October. Being able to meet the players, coaches, and tell them how much Duke means to me was something that I will never forget. From that day, I took this team in my heart more than the teams of past. I remember telling Marcus "this team looks good this year" and he would always say "lets just see where the ball bounces". Well the ball has bounced to the Final Four my friend....

So I want to say thank you Duke Basketball family. Thank you for keeping me up when I was down, showing me that there is light at the end of the tunnel. I am forever grateful.

I hope to login on Monday as National Champions as everyone else here does as well, but I just want to say that no matter what happens this weekend I am proud of our team, and what they achieved. So many times we come on the boards and focus on the negative...IF we lose, lets be fair to one another, and respectful of each others posts. It is easy to lose focus in anger and defeat so lets all just console one another. BUT IF WE WIN......then let the celebration last for a long long time.

GO DUKE!

weezie
04-02-2010, 05:47 PM
What a beautiful statement. I'm sorry for your loss and I'm sure it has been a long year of remembrance for you.
This ol'DBR is lucky to have people like you here.
Best, weezie

BlueHeaven
04-02-2010, 06:00 PM
I'm so sorry for your loss, but you are among friends here! Have a safe a fun time in Indy...your friend would have wanted you to! and Let's go Duke!

moonpie23
04-02-2010, 06:03 PM
these are the ties that bind...

CameronBornAndBred
04-02-2010, 06:52 PM
Awesome post, thanks for sharing. Travel safe, have a blast!

4decadedukie
04-02-2010, 07:09 PM
I am very sorry for your loss, but equally glad that all of us share a deep passion for Duke Basketball -- both on the court and in other, critical ways. Please enjoy the Final Four; Bev and I attended in '04 (San Antonio) and -- despite the questionable loss to UConn -- it was a great, never-to-be-forgotten experience.

In addition, I hope you will permit me to add a personal observation: My father (who was a terrific man and, for many years, my best friend) passed away in late-February 2001. Bev and I traveled directly from his memorial service to the ACC Tournament. Cheering for our superb 2001 team (which reminds me of our current club in many ways), being surrounded by so many other fervent Dukies, and intensely focusing on every possession and nuance was, quite simply, the finest therapy imaginable. I suspect I truly understand -- and appreciate --your experiences with Duke Basketball's healing effects.

I deeply thank Duke Basketball for that, too.

Dukeknights
04-02-2010, 07:10 PM
I am so sorry for your loss but what a great story. Have a safe trip to Indy and lets get a W Devils!

30scheyer
04-02-2010, 08:25 PM
I am so sorry for your loss. To me this Duke team seems like a TRUE TEAM emotionally bound to each other. It is a pleasure to root for them. Enjoy the F4!

Faison1
04-03-2010, 08:28 AM
If there was ever a team that was easy to love, this one has to be on top of the list. With all the negative press, it is good to hear how important these guys are to what seems like a minority of us.

I share the sentiments above, in that individually, these guys have such a great story.....and put together, they make an amazing team.

Although I have only personally met Coach K and Nate James, I can honestly say I love all the guys. You've brought me great joy.

Good luck tonight. I know you'll play hard and leave it all out on the floor.

DukieInKansas
04-03-2010, 11:23 AM
I will also add my thanks for a fantastic season. No matter the outcome tonight, the team has been great to watch grow together.

Good luck tonight. Win or lose, you are OUR team and we are all proud of you.

Let's go, Duke!

RoyalBlue08
04-03-2010, 05:51 PM
No matter what happens tonight and this weekend, this has been my favorite Duke team to follow. I have nothing but respect and admiration for every guy on this team. And I don't think I have ever been more emotionally attached to the outcome of sporting event than I am this one. Good luck Duke!

northernduke
04-03-2010, 10:19 PM
I went into the season with tempered expectations and a vow to enjoy the ride. Well this has been the greatest season to follow in the last 10+ years. Collectively these guys make one heck of a TEAM, and their individual qualities have made it remarkably worthwhile to invest so much time and emotion into the season (regardless of how the season ends). It has truly been a united group of men going out playing hard and having fun. What could be more fun to watch?