PDA

View Full Version : Robert Brickey

dukestheheat
04-01-2010, 10:48 PM
Had a great chat with him yesterday, and I can say that he's one of the kindest, finest people I've met. We chatted about his family, faith, his current coaching role at NCCU, Duke's current team and a certain DUNK he had versus Scott Williams over at UNC! (We were at Duke at the same time).

I reminded him of this dunk and the fact that the referee had called a walk on him on that play (and it was NOT a walk!) and he remembered the play!

He said 'yes, when I got back home that night, my roommate had it on the tape and he showed me the film, and I really didn't walk on it. That was Dick Paparo who called me for walking, and I felt like I should call him up and get on him about that call!' Duke was playing the holes over at The Hill, and Brick just wound up his dunk and jumped higher than I've ever seen him jump. He crammed the ball right over Williams' head and then the ref whistled him! It was criminal I tell you, criminal.

dth.

dukelifer
04-01-2010, 10:52 PM
Had a great chat with him yesterday, and I can say that he's one of the kindest, finest people I've met. We chatted about his family, faith, his current coaching role at NCCU, Duke's current team and a certain DUNK he had versus Scott Williams over at UNC! (We were at Duke at the same time).

I reminded him of this dunk and the fact that the referee had called a walk on him on that play (and it was NOT a walk!) and he remembered the play!

He said 'yes, when I got back home that night, my roommate had it on the tape and he showed me the film, and I really didn't walk on it. That was Dick Paparo who called me for walking, and I felt like I should call him up and get on him about that call!' Duke was playing the holes over at The Hill, and Brick just wound up his dunk and jumped higher than I've ever seen him jump. He crammed the ball right over Williams' head and then the ref whistled him! It was criminal I tell you, criminal.

dth.

Got to play pick up with him long after his playing days. He took it easy on us and played for fun.

magjayran
04-02-2010, 01:27 PM
I was 10 years old when he threw that one down and even back then I knew he didn't walk. Terrible call. The next day at school that's all anyone wanted to talk about. Interestingly enough, JD Alleva was in my class back then.

Duke79UNLV77
04-02-2010, 04:09 PM
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oqAZZSqM-Io

DukieInBrasil
04-02-2010, 04:20 PM
great video collection. RB wasn't a great shooter, but man could he dunk the ball!!!

ChemGod
04-02-2010, 11:39 PM
I played pickup with him when at Duke...pretty much made no sense to box him out. He just soared over you for the rebound!

Spam Filter
04-02-2010, 11:47 PM
To this day I'm convinced we'd have beat Seton Hall and then Michigan had Brickey not been undercut and injured in that game.

_Gary
04-03-2010, 12:42 AM
To this day I'm convinced we'd have beat Seton Hall and then Michigan had Brickey not been undercut and injured in that game.

No doubts in my mind. We were having our way with Seton Hall, big time, before his injury. After he went down the entire game changed. We definitely would have had NC #1 a couple of years earlier had Robert not gone down that day.

trinity92
04-03-2010, 08:55 AM
Brickey remains one of my favorite duke players ever. If anyone happens to have his jersey anywhere, I'd be very interested.

cruxer
04-03-2010, 09:28 AM
No doubts in my mind. We were having our way with Seton Hall, big time, before his injury. After he went down the entire game changed. We definitely would have had NC #1 a couple of years earlier had Robert not gone down that day.

I always felt Carlesimo "ordered a hit" on Brickey and have never forgiven him for it. A small (granted evil) part of me cheered when Sprewell choked him out! I've since learned to work through my anger issues....

hq2
04-03-2010, 10:39 AM
That was one of many memorable dunks the Brickeyman had. Someone should create a highlight reel of them all; some were truly incredible. I'd have to say next to Grant Hill, he was the best Duke dunker of all time.

miramar
04-03-2010, 03:38 PM
He had an outstanding block on a last-second Jeff Lebo jumper where he came out of nowhere to seal the victory against Carolina.

Serious hops.