PDA

View Full Version : Does anyone else...

Lord Ash
04-01-2010, 10:01 PM
... get into bed and night and stare at the ceiling in the darkness, trying not to get giddy thinking about the possibility of a historic #4?

Because I do. It does not aid my ability to fall asleep quickly.

Dr. Tina
04-01-2010, 10:04 PM
I think about Duke winning NC #4, but then I get nervous about thinking about it because I don't want to jinx it. I've been like that with just about every game, but it's gotten worse after Duke advances each round.

Lord Ash
04-01-2010, 10:07 PM
Oh no, it is not good for karma.

But maybe by acknowledging it we undo that karma?

Except that by saying we undo the karma, are we just reversing it back again?

(Did that AH nevermind! Wait; are we at bad karma, or good? Ah I think it just changed because I asked!)

Newton_14
04-01-2010, 10:17 PM
... get into bed and night and stare at the ceiling in the darkness, trying not to get giddy thinking about the possibility of a historic #4?

Because I do. It does not aid my ability to fall asleep quickly.

I am there with you partner. And it will get worse as we move forward towards Saturday night. I will be a mess by then though. I am bouncing back and forth between giddy and nervous as hell.

The thing is our guys can do this. They really can. It is right there for the taking. Just play 2 more games they same way you played against Baylor and it is a done deal. So I am giddy as heck thinking about that.

But there is no guarantee. They could also lose Saturday. So I am nervous. No, petrified.

All the hating we have endured in the past 6 to 9 years. From every turn. Fans, Radio, TV, Print Media, Blogs, Article comments, hate hate hate and more hate, even rival recruits dissing our coach. It can all be made right Monday Night. The thought of watching Scheyer, Zoubs, and LT jumping up and down to the tune of "One Shining Moment" gives me chills. I can see it, I can taste it. It is right there for the taking. If ever there was a team that deserves to win this thing, it is this years Duke Blue Devils. No offense to any of the other 3 teams. They are all very deserving. But the constant Duke hate our guys have endured their entire careers sets them higher up the list of "deserving" in my eyes. Not selfish. Just facts.

So yeah, sleep is not easily done. Concentration is interrupted every few minutes. Our guys can do this. It is right there for the taking. It really is. Did I say that already? I guess I did. Sorry, but I am just giddy and not thinking clearly. Our team just might win the National Championship this Monday. It's all I can think about.

Thanks for the thread. I needed it!

Go Duke!

sagegrouse
04-01-2010, 10:18 PM
I am making no plans beyond Saturday evening, and then we shall see. If feel good about this team and the games, but I have learned that "you never know."

Anyway, tomorrow is a travel day, arriving in Indianapolis around 8-9 PM.

I am sleeping well.

sagegrouse
'But this is the period in which my lek is most active, so I have other things to think about. :):rolleyes: Damn those Golden Eagles that keep soaring by."

Ultrarunner
04-01-2010, 10:22 PM
Oh no, it is not good for karma.

But maybe by acknowledging it we undo that karma?

Except that by saying we undo the karma, are we just reversing it back again?

(Did that AH nevermind! Wait; are we at bad karma, or good? Ah I think it just changed because I asked!)

I think you just summed up Duke fandom at the quantum level. Not that we ever over-think something. :confused:

dukeimac
04-01-2010, 10:27 PM
Just how are you guys dealing with the 2012 thing?

moonpie23
04-01-2010, 10:41 PM
remember 04 and 99...and even 02......

cautious......focus....

snowdenscold
04-02-2010, 12:46 AM
remember 04 and 99...and even 02......

cautious......focus....

Yeah I can't afford to feel the way I did in 2004 (especially after having my hopes up late in the 2nd half). It was too devestating. I'm taking the pessimistic approach and expecting us to lose to WV and being happy w/ a Final Four. I'm not on the court so my mental attitude doesn't affect us, right? ;)

OldPhiKap
04-02-2010, 12:58 AM
I am at total peace.

We have a great coach and a really strong team. If we play as well as we can, we can do it all.

The Tao of Duke.

It's all good.

Lord Ash
04-02-2010, 01:17 AM
I am having a similar reaction, to be truthful, at all other times... I am very happy with the year we have had so far, and will be satisfied whatever happens.

But man... wouldn't it be cool...

NO! Won't think that way. Picked WVU to win it all!

Duke Mom
04-02-2010, 02:19 AM
Whatever happens, this was/is a great team to love, so as far as I'm concerned, any emotional investment has been more than worth it. But I sure can understand the jitters out there ... so if you're having trouble sleeping - instead of counting sheep - close your eyes and count treys....see 'em?
hear 'em? SWISH! :rolleyes:

Sure has been fun getting here!

Kewlswim
04-02-2010, 02:28 AM
Hi,

I don't have the confidence a lot of people seem to have. I sure hope that Mazzuola isn't making fun of us like he did a couple of years ago when this contest is over, but you never know. :(

GO DUKE!

Cameron
04-02-2010, 04:54 AM
At times I am at peace. Other times, I am a basket case. These past five days, massive rollercoasters of emotion. This is what we play for at Duke. National championships. But the road we have taken to get here has been a long and challenging one. Not that we've exactly been sloughing it in the basketball ghetto since our last Final Four six years ago (in fact, with more victories than any other program over the past decade, it's been quite the contrary), but I think many here would agree that Easter and golf have been just about the only good things April has had going for it of late. I'd include March in there, too, but one can't deny the brilliance we've painted in gyms across the ACC since '99; nine in 12, baby. And those mean a lot to this Blue Devil fan.

The thought of Coach raising a fourth NCAA championship trophy is almost enough to make me cry. Like a lot of you, I've been overcome with random bouts of giddiness all week long. Thank you for your envy, but please quiet now; I'm trying to listen to No. 4 make its way to the very top of Cameron. Oh what I wouldn't do to guarantee this for our leader, our emotional rock, our Casey Stengel. Our Coach.

And for our seniors. They've come so far, and fought so hard together in order to get Duke back to its rightful place in the hoops universe. Thick as thieves they are. I can't think of a group of players more deserving in the history of the program to bring home the one that separates K from Dean for good and closes the door on the GOAT discussion.

But I'm terrified of Saturday and can hardly stand the thought of those last minutes leading up to the game. And yet, I doubt I will have ever felt so alive. As Norman Dale once said, Welcome to Indiana basketball.

Cameron
04-02-2010, 04:56 AM
Then I think of this, and that peace comes rushing back.

Some people dream about playing in the NBA, and that's always been a dream of mine. The (big) dream of mine is to be in the Final Four and play for the national championship and to win. That's something I've always wanted to do. To have an opportunity to do that is great. I'm not going to let it slip away. I'm going to make the most of it.

-Jon Scheyer

BlueHeaven
04-02-2010, 07:36 AM
Yes. Totally giddy, over the moon thrilled to death and can't wait.

blu62
04-02-2010, 07:45 AM
Each game they play, I hope they win mostly because I don't want it to be over. It will be bitter sweet to see the seniors play their last game. Whatever happens, they have had a glorious run!

Chard
04-02-2010, 09:58 AM
I'm pleasantly surprised by the team making it to the Final Four. Going into the season I thought that anything better than the great 8 would be gravy and anything less would be a shame for the senior class. Well, serve up the biscuits because they made it.

I began to believe this team could make a serious run after the Wisconsin game. Yeah, that game. I saw the parts there for a NC team and I thought that all they needed was some seasoning.

As the season progressed and other teams out there showed their stripes I began to believe a little more.

Once Duke almost pulled out the win at Maryland and then won the regular season I began to believe a little more.

After Duke won the ACC tournament and then received a 1 seed in the South I was in full on rabid belief mode! I have the ESPN bracket to verify that!

The way the brackets have panned out, I have a very good feeling but I'm still nervous about WVU. I'm not more nervous than I was before the Cal and Purdue and Baylor games. Those are very good teams that are better than people think.

Saturday is going to be a full on, drag out bar fight. I think I'll have to have at least one adult beverage during the game just to calm my nerves. I think Duke can win but we'll just have to see what happens. Either way, I'm very happy for the team and their success this year.

Matches
04-02-2010, 11:39 AM
Quite honestly, I've been skeptical of this team for most of the year. It felt to me like another in the line of very good but not great teams we've had over the last 5-6 years. I viewed Sweet 16, or maybe Elite 8, as the ceiling.

Seeing the team improve and claw its way into the Final 4 has been a joy to watch. I'm thrilled beyond belief, and at this point I totally believe Duke can win it all. Not that it's a done deal, by any means - but that it is an attainable goal if the ball bounces our way this weekend.

Great show all around.

rsvman
04-02-2010, 04:50 PM
Anything that happens from here on out is gravy, in my opinion.

If somebody had told me at the start of the season that we would:

1) Win the preseason NIT,
2) Beat the Tar Heels not once, but TWICE,
3) Win the regular season ACC,
4) Win the ACC tournament championship,
5) Rack up over 30 wins or more, and
6) Make it to the Final Four

I would have been ECSTATIC! This team has done all that. This team has had a GREAT, no, an OUTSTANDING season no matter what happens tomorrow.

That's my attitude and I'm sticking to it. :cool:

CDu
04-02-2010, 04:59 PM
If somebody had told me at the start of the season that we would:

1) Win the preseason NIT,
2) Beat the Tar Heels not once, but TWICE,
3) Win the regular season ACC,
4) Win the ACC tournament championship,
5) Rack up over 30 wins or more, and
6) Make it to the Final Four

I would have been ECSTATIC! This team has done all that. This team has had a GREAT, no, an OUTSTANDING season no matter what happens tomorrow.

I wholeheartedly agree. And yet, if we lose tomorrow, I'll still be very disappointed. Yes, in a few days/weeks I'll be able to look back and enjoy the season for as outstanding as it was (for all the reasons you mentioned). But just knowing how close we came, to the point of being a coin-flip pick to win it all, would be really tough to swallow.

Let's hope we have a great next few days and we don't have to worry about it!