PDA

View Full Version : MBB: Dayton 79, UNC 68 NIT Final

hudlow
04-01-2010, 05:39 PM
I hope the Flyers beat the Tar Heels like red-headed step children tonight.

hud

OldPhiKap
04-01-2010, 05:58 PM
I hope the Flyers beat the Tar Heels like red-headed step children tonight.

hud

Damn straight!

Devil in the Blue Dress
04-01-2010, 06:00 PM
Damn straight!

How about a little Pinot Grigio with that?

OldPhiKap
04-01-2010, 06:03 PM
How about a little Pinot Grigio with that?

Better make it a double.

Not to hijack, but did you see the Spring game?

Devil in the Blue Dress
04-01-2010, 06:08 PM
Better make it a double.

Not to hijack, but did you see the Spring game?

Yes, I did. I'll PM my report.

ChicagoCrazy84
04-01-2010, 06:32 PM
Go Flyers baby!!

Welcome2DaSlopes
04-01-2010, 06:38 PM
Let's go dayton, win this one.

Indoor66
04-01-2010, 06:54 PM
Given the long standing ties between NC & Dayton (NC has the product of Dayton's own on Wright Brothers on it's license plate) it is only appropriate to say:

GO DAYTON!

Indoor66
04-01-2010, 07:01 PM
How can one watch lousy basketball when NCIS re-runs are on? :cool:

dairedevil
04-01-2010, 07:45 PM
From what I've seen, I'm glad that Duke isn't playing Dayton. Super-quick, long & lean, forcing turnovers. They are giving unc a game...fast paced, quick shots, steals, splitting the defense (that is, when unc remembers to play defense)..it's kinda fun right now. unc down 8 with 3 1/2 minutes in the first.

GoingFor#5
04-01-2010, 07:53 PM
From what I've seen, I'm glad that Duke isn't playing Dayton. Super-quick, long & lean, forcing turnovers. They are giving unc a game...fast paced, quick shots, steals, splitting the defense (that is, when unc remembers to play defense)..it's kinda fun right now. unc down 8 with 3 1/2 minutes in the first.

Didn't we play them a few years back? I know it was a different team, but I remember being impressed by them when Oliver Purnell was coaching there.

westwall
04-01-2010, 07:56 PM
-- 45 to 32! As a former Flyers fan (before I enrolled at Duke) and as a present Duke fan, I couldn't be happier so far. GO Dayton!

Son of Mojo
04-01-2010, 07:58 PM
Oh I really want Dayton to win just for hearing that moron Gottlieb prattle on just now. The holes ready to win the big-boy title NEXT year??? Maybe it's my shade of glasses but I don't see where they become instantly better by having 3 freshmen come in with two starting seniors leaving, their best big man probably leaving, and their "star" freshman building his stock in the *snicker* NIT. C'mon Dayton!!! I want to go find a # 67 shirt & hat tomorrow!!

HowBoutDemDevils
04-01-2010, 07:58 PM
What is Doug Gottlieb smoking? He said Tarholes could win a national championship next year...

NovaScotian
04-01-2010, 08:01 PM
I'm at the gArden right now. Nice crowds for both teams. Dayton's band is hilarious and their mascot is a goofy pilot. I just heard one Carolina fan say to another "they played so bad all year, why should tonight be any different?" kind of like the reverse Four Questions. (Passover joke!)

any other dukies at the game?

Welcome2DaSlopes
04-01-2010, 08:06 PM
What is Doug Gottlieb smoking? He said Tarholes could win a national championship next year...

It must be illegal, because that came out of nowhere.

dairedevil
04-01-2010, 08:06 PM

Not that I would take the time to fact-check, but didn't some think that they could win it again this year? Just hoping for a "Not Important Tournament" runner -up banner to be hung in the dean dome.

rthomas
04-01-2010, 08:12 PM
Dayton is the team that beat WVU last year to eliminate us just before the Sweet 16 last year.

Kewlswim
04-01-2010, 08:19 PM
Now now. If UNC wins this post-season NIT thingie so be it. The Duke team has its eyes on a bigger prize: FF NCAA Tournament Champions

We are already:

Pre-Season NIT Champions
Co-Regular Season ACC Champions
ACC Tournament Champions
NCAA South Region Champions

GO DUKE!

Cockabeau
04-01-2010, 08:51 PM
Aw shucks!

sagegrouse
04-01-2010, 08:55 PM
Dayton is the team that beat WVU last year to eliminate us just before the Sweet 16 last year.

You know, despite my best efforts, I have never been able to scan properly modern American poetry. Could we try this in prose instead?

sagegrouse

Cockabeau
04-01-2010, 08:58 PM
I bet LMAC wishes he could have that one back.
Give me Carrick anyday of the week.

But it must be nice to have coach that recruits over x 2 with Barnes and Bullock coming in next year.

Cockabeau
04-01-2010, 09:06 PM
Roy loses again...:D:D:D

arnie
04-01-2010, 09:07 PM
I'm almost disappointed - wanted to see what the fools would do if they won. Today, they claimed on radio that there path to the "championship" was tougher that ours.

Welcome2DaSlopes
04-01-2010, 09:07 PM
HAHAHA way to end a season.

HowBoutDemDevils
04-01-2010, 09:08 PM
Rotflmao!!!

YourLandlord
04-01-2010, 09:10 PM
If anyone can find a "UNC 2010 NIT Runner Up" T shirt I will pay top dollar.

arydolphin
04-01-2010, 09:11 PM
I'm really going to enjoy seeing that NIT Runner-up banner in the Dean Dome next year. I wonder if there will be a pregame ceremony at the start of next season?

Welcome2DaSlopes
04-01-2010, 09:12 PM
Rotflmao!!!
This say it all, seriously ahah

If anyone can find a "UNC 2010 NIT Runner Up" T shirt I will pay top dollar.

CLASSIC, I will as well.

weezie
04-01-2010, 09:14 PM
Yeah, kind of surprising, especially after their spurt at the opening of the 2nd half.
Have to admit, the players sure looked pitiful as they lined up for the handshakes at the end. They just never had enough to buy a clue this year.

We don't want to anger the basketball gods though.....

moonpie23
04-01-2010, 09:14 PM
rosemary st is safe....

moonpie23
04-01-2010, 09:16 PM
join me in not expending energy to revel in the heels loss tonight....

dukebluelemur
04-01-2010, 09:18 PM
revel? I kinda wanted a UNC NIT CHAMPS T-Shirt....

LSanders
04-01-2010, 09:18 PM
From IC:

If we win, should we hang the banner?

Posted: Today 9:13 PM

Re: NIT Banner

Drive over to Dayton and take a look at it. It will always be known as the year UNC started the season ranked in the top 10, made the NIT finals, lost, and I'm a real wanker for saying this.I'm a real wanker for saying this.I'm a real wanker for saying this.I'm a real wanker for saying this. won the NCAA tournament when they were supposed to be mentally tired.

:D:D:D:D

Newton_14
04-01-2010, 09:24 PM
Way to go Dayton. Glad to see the light blue go down hard and loved the look on Roy's face once it was clear it was over.

In other news, surprised to see no one mentioning Bullock saying K looks like a rat in that video of him, Kyrie, and Marshall. Am I late on that and it was discussed in another thread or something?? Classy quote by the heel recruit that was...

2010 67th Place Finish- unc@ch

dukelifer
04-01-2010, 09:26 PM
Way to go Dayton. Glad to see the light blue go down hard and loved the look on Roy's face once it was clear it was over.

In other news, surprised to see no one mentioning Bullock saying K looks like a rat in that video of him, Kyrie, and Marshall. Am I late on that and it was discussed in another thread or something?? Classy quote by the heel recruit that was...

2010 67th Place Finish- unc@ch

Yes- discussed in the McDonald's thread.

Newton_14
04-01-2010, 09:29 PM
Yes- discussed in the McDonald's thread.

Thanks. I will have a look. The local radio guys were playing it over and over today.

dukelifer
04-01-2010, 09:32 PM
Several thoughts. First Graves is serving Bullock notice. He is not giving up his spot in the line up. Nice shooting performance by him. Without his threes- UNC loses very big. Dayton was fast and everyone can score. Definitely a recipe to beat UNC this year. Not sure this little run helped UNC- they never really got on a roll and their issues are still there. Well they get Barnes for a year. A lot will depend on what happens to Drew in the off season. Time to put UNC to bed for the year and concentrate on more important things.

Welcome2DaSlopes
04-01-2010, 09:34 PM
Does anyone have the video of it?

OldPhiKap
04-01-2010, 09:51 PM
Luckily, I can multi-task.

Go Devils!

GTH,C!!!!!!!

Welcome2DaSlopes
04-01-2010, 09:54 PM
Never forget where you're from, with that said, GO DUKE!!!!!!!!!

OldPhiKap
04-01-2010, 09:57 PM
Great to see Dayton win.

Great to see the Heels lose.

But, Carolina will return a pretty good team. I'd love to think otherwise but they have a very good core coming back.

So enjoy it now. I am. But they will challenge for the top of the conference next year, and any ACC team at the top is capable of a deep run.

juise
04-01-2010, 09:57 PM
I didn't care enough to watch, but I am enjoying it. The gap between last Sunday night's victory and this Saturday night's game seems like an eternity. A Heel loss is my second favorite basketball outcome (after a Duke win), so why not enjoy it? I'm just disappointed they (1) didn't finish under .500, and (2) ended up with 20 wins.

dukelifer
04-01-2010, 10:02 PM
Great to see Dayton win.

Great to see the Heels lose.

But, Carolina will return a pretty good team. I'd love to think otherwise but they have a very good core coming back.

So enjoy it now. I am. But they will challenge for the top of the conference next year, and any ACC team at the top is capable of a deep run.

Good players, yes- good team? That will depend on improving Chemistry which is still not there.

OldPhiKap
04-01-2010, 10:12 PM
This is the first time in years where I kind of like all four teams. Duke head and shoulders above, of course, but if we don't do it I'm fine with whomever.

Having said that -- GO DUKE!!!!

Welcome2DaSlopes
04-01-2010, 10:23 PM
Smh can't even win in the NIT, almost everygame went down to the wire, and their last win, a foul should have been called at the end. smh

dukeimac
04-01-2010, 10:33 PM
Funny, I was looking forward to their back-to-back title shirts.

Johnboy
04-01-2010, 10:39 PM
Sounds like someone could make some coin selling "UNC 2010 NIT Runner-up" shirts to fans of rival ACC schools - at least, those who made the NCAAT.

Newton_14
04-01-2010, 10:44 PM
Funny, I was looking forward to their back-to-back title shirts.

You say that in jest I am sure but would you believe there were heel fans crowing about that on 2 different talk radio shows yesterday and today? Calling it a case of back to back "National" titles, sorta like that whole "Helms" title deal.

I am very glad they lost. It is fitting to me that a team like Dayton won it. I would much rather see a mid-major with a solid winning record win the NIT, than a BCS team without a winning record that only won 5 conference games all year win it.

I did not realize this but I caught the last 2 minutes of the game and the announcers said that just like Baylor, all of Dayton's losses this year were less than 10 points. No one blew them out. So even though they missed out on the Big Dance they played good basketball and won the NIT. Good for them.

jimmymax
04-01-2010, 10:47 PM
Yea, no negative energy here. I wanted to see that NIT NC banner right there with the Helms one...

moonpie23
04-01-2010, 10:50 PM
WE'RE 67 ! WE'RE 67 ! WE'RE 67 !

dang,...why did i go there?

devildeac
04-01-2010, 10:52 PM
What dukimac said. One word: Huggins

Look at my DBR name. I root for Duke. Always. In fact, when the deacs rolled over and soiled the bed/played dead at home this year against the 'holes, I seriously considered changing my screen name to devild***:mad:.

OldPhiKap
04-01-2010, 11:12 PM
Good players, yes- good team? That will depend on improving Chemistry which is still not there.

I hope you are right, obviously. But I would bet that Carolina will be better for losing some of the upperclassmen and will be in the mix for the conference race next year.

This last three weeks, as much fun as it is to say that they are playing in a secondary tourney, has helped the younguns.

DU82
04-01-2010, 11:13 PM
Congratulations Dayton, on joining Duke in winning NIT Titles this season.

(Did everybody else forget about this, or was it buried in another thread?)

-bdbd
04-01-2010, 11:33 PM
Ya know, I tried. I really did. I told myself that it is good for the ACC if, in a "down" year, we can win both tournaments. So "Go ACC" right?

Well I just couldn't pull it off. I just kept imagining the stupid taunting we'd have to endure from Kerlina "fans" claiming that their NIT championship was, via some absurb leap of illogic, more valuable than Duke's Final Four appearance. You know that it would have come.

So in the end I was pretty happy.

As to the q's re whether UNC improves next year... In all seriousness, I ask "How could they get any worse??" I mean, with 7 AA's you pretty well assure a winning season at a minimum. With that talent level this Kerlina team did about as poorly (+/- 2 wins) as they possibly could have. So, yeah, Barnes alone should be worth a couple wins -- via talent and VIA CHARACTER. But, to those who think that this influx will lead to a top-10 ranking all season, I point you back to a very talented Duke frosh class in 1983 -- Dawkins, Bilas, Allarie, Henderson, that had, I think, a losing season and finished it with a 40 point loss to UVA in the ACCT. As UK discovered, Rookie talent isn't everything. UNC won't turn around this ugly situation overnight. I promise you.

DevilHorns
04-01-2010, 11:40 PM
obviously you know absolutely nothing about "carma". lol.

Mazulla, by slapping the floor a few years ago, will soon learn all he needs to know about Karma.

-bdbd
04-01-2010, 11:48 PM
Rthomas - Congratulations on findig a new adopted home and doing well in the career for which Duke helped prepare you. But in the end, isn't Duke, coming earlier in your life - those important "formative years" - really part of your self-identity? I too have move around and had other loyalties, but there is just no way I could ever root against Duke, K and all of the terrific values that it stands for. You don't have to do it loudly, peer pressure being what it is, but in your heart you'll alway be a Blue Devil.

P.S. No matter how much I liked my "second home" there's just no way I could ever feel as huge a loyalty to any team run/led/coached by someone with the, er, character of Huggy-baby.... You may be aware of some, but do a Google search and you'll really be amazed at how much BS he's been involved with over the years.

:cool:

"Once a Devil, always a Devil" (good luck!)

scheyeronfire
04-01-2010, 11:49 PM
I'm just happy that a team won the NIT that can appreciate it. I would bet anything that had UNC won, the players wouldn't have looked anywhere near as happy as Dayton did.

peblnh8
04-01-2010, 11:50 PM
I can't imagine anyone from <anywhere/duke> being that loyal to morgan stanley and the state of new york...

hmmm... but maybe I misunderstand the employer / employee relationship....

Neals384
04-02-2010, 12:25 AM

Oh, he couldn't have really meant NCAA championship. He musta just misspoke - thinks they can win the NIT championship next year.

Welcome2DaSlopes
04-02-2010, 12:32 AM
Yea didn't they say the same thing at the beginning of this year?

4decadedukie
04-02-2010, 07:15 AM
I have a friend who has two Dayton undergraduate degrees and an MBA plus an MPP from Duke. I simply cannot wait to congratulate her. GO FLYERS - GREAT WIN.

4decadedukie
04-02-2010, 07:18 AM
revel? I kinda wanted a UNC NIT CHAMPS T-Shirt....

How about the "UNC NIT RUNNERS-UP" T-shirt?

sagegrouse
04-02-2010, 07:48 AM

First, JWill, at the anchor desk but off-camera, said, "But they lost 16 games this year." And it was soon to be 17. :)

I think we should be deliriously happy when anyone pumps up UNC's chances. That kind of talk throws meat to the UNC fans, infects the players, and builds the program up for a big letdown. By the end of this year, with some good close wins in the NIT (I love saying that), UNC showed it was a Top 50 team, which it wasn't during the regular season. The poor play was due in part to the ridiculous pre-season hype: co-champs in the ACC and (what was it?) #5 nationally in the preseason polls. Don't you think this UNC team drank that Koolaid and, when it turned out to be bad, went into a near-total collapse?

Let the buildup begin for next year! Let it be written that HB and his cohorts will immediately restore Columbia blue to its former glory!

Or not.

sagegrouse

oldnavy
04-02-2010, 07:50 AM
I hope you are right, obviously. But I would bet that Carolina will be better for losing some of the upperclassmen and will be in the mix for the conference race next year.

This last three weeks, as much fun as it is to say that they are playing in a secondary tourney, has helped the younguns.

They have to be better, but yet they will still have the same weaknesses. Lack of an on court leader (Senior leader = Graves?, please!) weak at the PG position (Marshall is not the answer). Their outside shooting and wings will be better, but I think that the frontcourt will be about as effective as it was this year. And let's not forget they return Ol Roy, who has not been the most effective coach this year without a speedster at PG, so we have to see if he can adjust his approach to the game....

hudlow
04-02-2010, 08:10 AM
I guess it just wasn't meant to be.

The sporting world just wasn't ready for a team who could actually win the NCAA and NIT tourneys back-to-back for the first time in the history of creation and basketball.

hud

mgtr
04-02-2010, 08:22 AM
I watched the game tonight, seeing UNC for the first time when I didn't have a horse in the race. What I noticed was that they are much less a team than a collection of players, with each player playing his own game. Kind of surprised they went as far as they did in the NIT.

moonpie23
04-02-2010, 08:34 AM
i'm not a wagering person.....but i'd wager that they will be pre-season top ten and co-#1 acc...

trust me....that baby blue is teflon...

Devilsfan
04-02-2010, 08:53 AM
I found myself almost pulling for the heels so that they could hang a Not In Tourney banner next to last years. But I just kept cheering when the Flyers hit another three. To make everything ok Ol' Roy should keep the $325,000 University pay and not take one penney of the millions of dollars he gets to round out his total compensation package. Maybe he could give $2,000,000 in cash to the Haiti Relief Fund. Step up roy and show us you're really a caring person. Rather than caring for your players like putting in your senior walk-ons for 9.5 seconds. How demeaning!

rthomas
04-02-2010, 08:53 AM
Rthomas - Congratulations on findig a new adopted home and doing well in the career for which Duke helped prepare you. But in the end, isn't Duke, coming earlier in your life - those important "formative years" - really part of your self-identity? I too have move around and had other loyalties, but there is just no way I could ever root against Duke, K and all of the terrific values that it stands for. You don't have to do it loudly, peer pressure being what it is, but in your heart you'll alway be a Blue Devil.

P.S. No matter how much I liked my "second home" there's just no way I could ever feel as huge a loyalty to any team run/led/coached by someone with the, er, character of Huggy-baby.... You may be aware of some, but do a Google search and you'll really be amazed at how much BS he's been involved with over the years.

:cool:

"Once a Devil, always a Devil" (good luck!)

I didn't say I wasn't pulling for Duke; I said I was conflicted.

http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/commons/f/fa/Ary_Scheffer_-_The_Temptation_of_Christ_%281854%29.jpg

hudlow
04-02-2010, 09:13 AM
Years ago the "Top 25" was the "Top 20" in basketball rankings. For the first time since teams were being ranked Carolina was in danger of not making the Top 20 rankings. Then all of a sudden 5 more rankings were added to the Top 20 and Carolina got in the bottom 5 preserving their streak!

Believe it or not!

Now Carolina has missed out on the NCAA this year. But next year the NCAA is surely going to expand the field to 96 to assure that almost everyone will be allowed to go to the big dance and putting the NIT out of business.

coincidence?

Believe it or not!

;) hud

davekay1971
04-02-2010, 09:14 AM
First of all, let me acknowledge that UNC did accomplish something in actually playing the NIT as if they gave a crap. That will be a building block for them next season. Frankly, I didn't think they had the heart to play with effort at this point in the season.

However, I'm thrilled that Dayton won. Dayton, both the team and their fans, will actually enjoy and honor this championship. UNC would have treated it like some kind of shame. Their students were already making plans to celebrate their NIT championship off Franklin Street, because it didn't deserve a Franklin Street celebration. The local Charlotte fans were blathering on about whether UNC should hang the NIT championship banner "when" they win. And yes, referring to an above post, the UNC fans had started to talk about how they would go further in their tournament than we would in ours, how their road to the NIT final four was harder than our road to the NCAAT final four, how it was such an accomplishment for them to go to 3 straight final fours (counting the NIT final four along with their two straight NCAAT final fours). About what you'd expect from a fanbase that happily brags about their 6 national championships.

I had hoped that UNC would lose to W&M in the first round to have a losing season. It's almost as nice to see them get just close enough to the NIT championship to get the fans talking smack again, only to watch them get drubbed by a team that is so clearly beneath mighty Carolina...

MulletMan
04-02-2010, 09:26 AM
I have a friend who has two Dayton undergraduate degrees and an MBA plus an MPP from Duke. I simply cannot wait to congratulate her. GO FLYERS - GREAT WIN.

You may congratulate me! I also have two undergrad degrees from UD along with my Duke degree.

GOOOOOOOOOOOOOO DAYTON FLYERS!!!

When the brackets came out I was hoping that UD would get a shot at UNC, but I kept quiet. It was tough to contain my excitement yesterday. I knew that UD could beat UNC if they played well, and I was right. This was also a wonderful measure of revenge after my trip to the Dean Dome a few years ago when Hansy, Lawson, and company slaughtered UD. The UNC fans were complete donkeys to the folk from UD. Trash talking the whole way... UNC was #4 in the country at the time... Dayton was #4 in the A-10. Stay classy Chapel Hill.

For whoever was asking about the UD-Dayton game... that was in 2004, IIRC, in Cameron. Dayton hung tough and was down 6 with 3 minutes to go before Duke pulled away. UD landed a 4 seed in the tourney that year and was promptly upset by Tulsa in the first round (so sad... so sad).

But today is a day to celebrate!!! I was really proud of the UD team. They could have quit at the end of the year, but they pulled it together and made a great run in NIT. They won @Cincy, @Illinois and beat Ole Miss and UNC to win the whole thing. Not too shabby a run.

Good times.

1 down.... 1 to go!

El_Diablo
04-02-2010, 09:34 AM
The front page article on "New Banner for the Dean Dome" claims UNC is the 66th best team in the country.

There were 65 teams in the NCAA tournament (counting the opening round game, AKA the "play-in game"). So Dayton is now #66. UNC is thus #67. Let's not give them more credit than they deserve!

Duke09
04-02-2010, 09:45 AM
How about the "UNC NIT RUNNERS-UP" T-shirt?

I'm trying to get some together. I figure if they look like this
http://store.cstv.com/marketplace/store/Vendor58/fullscale/0409-ncch2cnncc-c.jpg

But substitute national champ for NIT on top, and Runner-up on the bottom, and maybe incorporate the number 67 somewhere. If you put them on nice cotton t-shirts like American apparel, i'd definitely wear it. Anyone got some skills with illustrator?

Merlindevildog91
04-02-2010, 10:19 AM
http://store.cstv.com/marketplace/store/Vendor58/fullscale/0409-ncch2cnncc-c.jpg

But substitute national champ for NIT on top, and Runner-up on the bottom, and maybe incorporate the number 67 somewhere. If you put them on nice cotton t-shirts like American apparel, i'd definitely wear it. Anyone got some skills with illustrator?

Maybe Lance and Kyle can do something with this as part of a Visual Arts project, when they get back from Indianapolis.

calltheobvious
04-02-2010, 10:37 AM
The very same for me. I grew up in the Eastern Panhandle of WV but my father was a sports active Duke alum and an Iron Duke. Thus, I followed Duke loyally, even receiving a grad degree in History from Duke, until I went to grad school in Morgantown. I remember not going to see Duke minus Tate Armstrong get beat during a bad snow. Now I root for WVU in football and Duke in bball. This has always been clearcut until this year. I didn't go downtown to see the game two years ago because I knew WVU was going to win. My oldest friends are WVU alums. I can't really lose in this game because, like RThomas.says, the WVU team and Huggins are very likeable. I was at the game in Morgantown when Huggins elbowed the heir apparent to Dusquene's Norm Nixon and broke his jaw. A Dusquene fan demonstrably took exception and a fans brawl almost ensued - not a good idea for visiting fans in Morgantown. I might be hard to appreciate Huggins unless you have lived there. He grew up in Morgantown and you can bet he won't get a dui there.I think WVU will win. I have thought this the whole year. Duke has definitely improved since the MD game but WVU won the BE tournament and beat UK. Both teams will try to impose their will. It will come down to who makes their shots and defensive rebounds the best. Whoever wins just better win the Championship on Monday.

Well, gosh, how could anyone not love that?

hudlow
04-02-2010, 10:59 AM

Please, if someone does come up with an "NIT runners up" T shirt...please do it on a white shirt. It's going to be bad enough wearing a shirt with UNC on it, but I have to draw the line on baby blue.

hud

cf-62
04-02-2010, 01:49 PM
It happened at 2 AM last night, but Ernie Johnson and Charles Barkley rubbed the NIT runner-up in Kenny the Jet Smith's face at the end of the NBA studio show last night.

I caught the end of it live, and have been looking all day for a posting of the video - YEAH!!!!!

http://keithssportsjournal.blogspot.com/2010/04/inside-nba-has-too-much-fun.html

It had me rolling when I just saw the end, but watching the whole setup makes it even better.

Enjoy!

CF

BD80
04-02-2010, 02:09 PM
It happened at 2 AM last night, but Ernie Johnson and Charles Barkley rubbed the NIT runner-up in Kenny the Jet Smith's face at the end of the NBA studio show last night.

I caught the end of it live, and have been looking all day for a posting of the video - YEAH!!!!!

http://keithssportsjournal.blogspot.com/2010/04/inside-nba-has-too-much-fun.html

It had me rolling when I just saw the end, but watching the whole setup makes it even better.

Enjoy!

CF

"One shining moment, your spirit runs free.

One shining moment, runner-up, N. I. T."

Indoor66
04-02-2010, 02:15 PM
"One shining moment, your spirit runs free.

One shining moment, runner-up, N. I. T."

A great video - very funny. Thanks for the posting.

JasonEvans
04-02-2010, 02:19 PM
The picture of Obama at the end made me howl. Great stuff!!

--Jason "it si EJ and Charles' world, we are just living in it" Evans

77devil
04-02-2010, 02:20 PM
This isn't the first time Sir Charles has taken a good natured shot at Kenny about UNC. During the Doh years when Duke was dominating the Holes, Kenny said something about the rivalry and Charles shot back without hesitation ( paraphrasing here) "What rivalry? The way UNC just rolls over, it doesn't seem much like a rivalry these days." Kenny was speechless.

Lord Ash
04-02-2010, 02:34 PM
Chuck ranks right up there with Bob Knight in terms of guys who I just enjoy listening to.

RockLobster
04-02-2010, 03:07 PM
...I made this. Congratulations, Tar Heels! This is going to look great in the Dean Dome!

DukeDevilDeb
04-02-2010, 03:17 PM

substituting National CHUMP for National Champ? :D

shoutingncu
04-02-2010, 03:17 PM
And then there's this:

PSurprise
04-02-2010, 03:18 PM
...I made this. Congratulations, Tar Heels! This is going to look great in the Dean Dome!

To Good 'ole Runner-up Roy

hudlow
04-02-2010, 03:55 PM

That would be great on a T-shirt.

hud

CDu
04-02-2010, 04:07 PM

In fairness (and I apologize for being a spoil sport), the banners from the 1970s NIT are quite an accomplishment. In those days (when only the conference champ made the NCAA tourney), the NIT was filled with great teams. For comparison, this year's NIT would be filled with teams like Georgetown, Maryland, MSU, Villanova, Baylor, Kansas State, Pittsburgh, either Syracuse or WVU, Oklahoma State, Texas A&M, Tennessee, Wisconsin, etc. It looks funny, but an NIT Final Four wasn't too far off of an NCAA Final Four in terms of talent faced.

Nowadays, obviously it's not true anymore. Which is probably why UNC revised their banners to not highlight the NIT years. And why they won't hang a separate banner for this year's NIT run.

Duvall
04-02-2010, 04:20 PM
In fairness (and I apologize for being a spoil sport), the banners from the 1970s NIT are quite an accomplishment. In those days (when only the conference champ made the NCAA tourney), the NIT was filled with great teams. For comparison, this year's NIT would be filled with teams like Georgetown, Maryland, MSU, Villanova, Baylor, Kansas State, Pittsburgh, either Syracuse or WVU, Oklahoma State, Texas A&M, Tennessee, Wisconsin, etc. It looks funny, but an NIT Final Four wasn't too far off of an NCAA Final Four in terms of talent faced.

A counterpoint:

The banner looked *really* funny.

Cockabeau
04-02-2010, 04:34 PM
the best part is the 17 losses...

K may not lose that many in the next 4 seasons...lmao!

Knocking on wood, who....:D

Indoor66
04-02-2010, 04:39 PM

Nowadays, obviously it's not true anymore. Which is probably why UNC revised their banners to not highlight the NIT years. And why they won't hang a separate banner for this year's NIT run.

All due respect, but in the 1970's this Carolina would not have sniffed being in the NIT.

CDu
04-02-2010, 04:51 PM
All due respect, but in the 1970's this Carolina would not have sniffed being in the NIT.

Yeah, that was my point.

juise
04-02-2010, 05:08 PM
Yeah, that was my point.

Agreed. He was defending the old banners, not lending credence to Carolina's NIT "run" this season.