PDA

View Full Version : Nice DBR, Nice...

ClosetHurleyFan
04-01-2010, 07:35 AM
Reminds me of the year you posted the article of Jordan becoming new Carolina coach, and my dumb-a-s-s believed it for a half second.

weezie
04-01-2010, 08:01 AM
What day is it?????!

MChambers
04-01-2010, 08:09 AM
I've forwarded the link to several UNC acquaintances (not sure friend is the right word).

oso diablo
04-01-2010, 08:51 AM
posted/linked on f/b. see if i can reel in a few

Lid
04-01-2010, 09:06 AM
Got me! I was wondering yesterday what today's article would be, but even so, I swallowed this one hook, line and sinker. I guess I really do just want to believe the best of people, even ol' Roy. My second thought, though, was that it was all a big recruiting ploy to increase his chances with Rivers.

In any case, nice! I haven't done more than chuckle at one of these stories in quite a few years, but this one did it.

Delaware
04-01-2010, 09:09 AM
Brilliant!

hurleyfor3
04-01-2010, 09:18 AM
Funny. Although I was hoping for something relating to unc, Butler and the 1924 national championship (such as each school will relinquish claim to it if the other wins its resepctive tournament).

gus
04-01-2010, 10:29 AM
I read it on my commute this morning, and admit that I didn't even suspect it was a joke. I was actually impressed with Ol' Roy for a minute. I should have been a little suspicious and topeka'd the story. Live and learn I guess.

sagegrouse
04-01-2010, 10:40 AM
I believed every word of it. Now I am disillusioned.

sagegrouse

OldPhiKap
04-01-2010, 10:50 AM
You could tell it was fake because Roy didn't speak of himself in the third person. If y'all can change that, you may catch some West Coasters as they roll into the office.

EDIT to add: Great job on the article, though -- very funny!

Lord Ash
04-01-2010, 10:50 AM
*sigh*

I believed every word of it. I am a moron.

alteran
04-01-2010, 10:54 AM
Kudos to DBR-- way better than the usual April 1 fare you see around the internets.

flyingdutchdevil
04-01-2010, 10:55 AM
You could tell it was fake because Roy didn't speak of himself in the third person. If y'all can change that, you may catch some West Coasters as they roll into the office.

EDIT to add: Great job on the article, though -- very funny!

Was also a little surprised that Roy didn't rip on Strickland in the article. Had he did, that would have made it significantly more realistic.

That said, I completely believed the article until I read this thread. With Roy, anything is believable.

snowdenscold
04-01-2010, 10:58 AM
I was had...

pbc2
04-01-2010, 10:59 AM
Considering Roy charges charities for his picture, I was skeptical...

Indoor66
04-01-2010, 10:59 AM
I was had...

Always realize that something nice about Roy has to be BS.

Biscuit King
04-01-2010, 11:03 AM
I bought it 100%. Didn't figure it out until I started topeka'ing around for a link to the interview, so that I could send it to my UNC friends and say, "Wow, what a classy move by Roy." When I couldn't find a link, I started getting suspicious....

Great job, DBR! And too bad it's not true, because UNC's general funds could definitely use the money.

FishStick
04-01-2010, 11:44 AM
Before I realized the post was a joke, I felt bad for disliking Roy as much as I do. Now I can hate him freely again.

HaveFunExpectToWin
04-01-2010, 11:48 AM
*sigh*

It's because all of the quotes are what a completely normal person in this situation should say. Giving up the salary may be a stretch, but taking responsibility, poking fun at yourself for saying dumb things, etc should be expected.

What's truly unbelievable is what a maroon Roy actually is.

delfrio
04-01-2010, 11:54 AM
The best part would be if the article was picked up and people actually put pressure on Roy to do this.

jwillrockyou
04-01-2010, 12:50 PM
Before I realized the post was a joke, I felt bad for disliking Roy as much as I do. Now I can hate him freely again.

i was the same! i read it late last night and completely believed it and then felt really bad for hating so much on roy this year (some of his quotes this year have taken away really any respect i had for him). i don't know if i am now happy that i get to go back to hating him or sad that that's one less respectable person in this world

Andre Buckner Fan
04-01-2010, 01:11 PM
The best part would be if the article was picked up and people actually put pressure on Roy to do this.

I would love that! Or if someone congratulated him after reading the article. :D

He would announce it this way:

"Roy Williams read this article about Roy Williams, " said Roy Williams. "And Roy Williams has decided to abide by what fake Roy Williams did."

mph
04-01-2010, 02:42 PM
Very well done! In retrospect, I should have picked up on the fact that FWilliams spoke 20 sentences without using dadgum.

Highlander
04-01-2010, 02:49 PM
I read through twice trying to find the April Fool's article for the year when I saw this thread. Can't believe I didn't see it for what it was.

Kudos DBR.

ClosetHurleyFan
04-01-2010, 02:53 PM
so the UNC grad picked up on it before the Duke folks, hmmmmmm;);)

Kewlswim
04-01-2010, 02:59 PM
It's because all of the quotes are what a completely normal person in this situation should say. Giving up the salary may be a stretch, but taking responsibility, poking fun at yourself for saying dumb things, etc should be expected.

What's truly unbelievable is what a maroon Roy actually is.

Hi,

I even thought, "Wow, this must be what the UNC brass saw in this guy when they hired him. The powers that be at UNC must be really glad they are now going to get the coach they hoped for." I should know by now Ole Roy would never step to the plate. I still feel foolish for defending Roy thinking the media had distorted his quotes about Haiti.

GO DUKE!

Delaware
04-01-2010, 03:09 PM

But your a closet Hurley fan and therefore, ahem, smart! :D

BobbyFan
04-01-2010, 03:59 PM
Reminds me of the year you posted the article of Jordan becoming new Carolina coach

When was this? I remember about 10 years ago cnnsi or sportingnews putting up a similar April Fool's joke on their front page that got me.

mph
04-01-2010, 04:00 PM

You guys have a better understanding of Roy's character so it's natural you'd see through reports that he'd taken responsibility for this season. ;)

Johnboy
04-01-2010, 04:36 PM
I should have been a little suspicious and topeka'd the story.

Topeka'd - well played.

DevilWearsPrada
04-01-2010, 04:53 PM
Dadgum it. hehehe Ole Roy and the boys play for the Nit 2nt.

ClosetHurleyFan
04-01-2010, 04:54 PM
When was this? I remember about 10 years ago cnnsi or sportingnews putting up a similar April Fool's joke on their front page that got me.

It was before Roy came back, about time Doherty imploded. First of all, they had the whole site Carolina blue, which should have tipped you off. And when you clicked on the link they posted, the whole background disappeared into a little message in the middle of screen that said "Happy April Fools Day". It was really funny, even for a Carolina fan.

ClosetHurleyFan
04-01-2010, 04:57 PM
But your a closet Hurley fan and therefore, ahem, smart! :D

And let me tell you, when you attended UNC during the Laettner back to back era, as a Carolina fan you really had to stay in the closet about your Hurley admiration. I tell everyone, you dont know Duke hatred at its peak unless you were a Carolina undergrad during the Laettner era. If UNC hadnt won it all in 1993, I may have had to pack it all in.

sagegrouse
04-01-2010, 05:16 PM
Now get a look at this one from the LSU Web site!

http://tinyurl.com/y9t6ywp

sagegrouse

DukeDevilDeb
04-01-2010, 05:19 PM
*sigh*

Not only did I believe every word of it, but I went on Inside Carolina looking for the Carolina Fan's reaction to it.

I am a double moron:o:o

Delaware
04-01-2010, 05:53 PM
And let me tell you, when you attended UNC during the Laettner back to back era, as a Carolina fan you really had to stay in the closet about your Hurley admiration. I tell everyone, you dont know Duke hatred at its peak unless you were a Carolina undergrad during the Laettner era. If UNC hadnt won it all in 1993, I may have had to pack it all in.

As a Duke fan living in the area from that era, I remember it well... if UNC had not won it in 93, Tar Heel world may have come undone... Dean had to get a 2nd title to match K, Duke was the white knight/darling for having vanquished those thugs from UNLV, etc.... UNC fans (a lot of my coworkers) felt as though all the oxygen/attention was 8 miles away. 1993 saved a lot of light blue folks from jumping off the top of the Dean Dome!

hurleyfor3
04-01-2010, 06:10 PM
Not only did I believe every word of it, but I went on Inside Carolina looking for the Carolina Fan's reaction to it.

I am a double moron:o:o

IC... where every day is April Fool's Day.

hudlow
04-01-2010, 07:08 PM
Roy may be crazy, but I never figured him for real stupid.

hud