PDA

View Full Version : K running out of time?

DUKIECB
03-30-2010, 02:23 PM
Mr. Goodman seems to think so. Link (http://msn.foxsports.com/cbk/story/coach-k-up-against-the-clock)

If you had to give odds on which coach is most likely to make another final four in the next five years how could K not be at or near the top of the list? I think his odds are pretty good and with the talent we have coming in the next couple of years, the odds are as good as any other coach in the country.

Sounds like plenty of time to me!:D

VaDukie
03-30-2010, 02:37 PM
I wouldn't go so far as to call Goodman a Duke hater, but he certainly peddles the narrative that we've fallen off. Going to the Final Four - even winning it all - won't be enough to silence these haters just like you could never counter the Duke gets all the calls crowd. They only see what they want to see.

Already we're seeing this year's Final Four bad mouthed, pretty much because Kansas and Kentucky are missing. Believe it or not, they award NCAA Titles for every season, regardless of who's there. Well guess what, its not our fault that other teams didn't win their games.

If anyone out there thinks that this season will silence the critics I think you're in for a bad surprise. We're never going to win the battle of public opinion so just enjoy winning the games on the court.

Indoor66
03-30-2010, 02:51 PM
Way too many thin skinned people around here. Get tough. Go Duke.

CameronBornAndBred
03-30-2010, 02:54 PM
Ever since I read his writings last week about how Duke would lose in the tourney due to their "lack of size", I've decided he's an idiot. I'll still read him, I need a laugh now and then.

OldPhiKap
03-30-2010, 03:04 PM
I wouldn't go so far as to call Goodman a Duke hater, but he certainly peddles the narrative that we've fallen off. Going to the Final Four - even winning it all - won't be enough to silence these haters just like you could never counter the Duke gets all the calls crowd. They only see what they want to see.

Already we're seeing this year's Final Four bad mouthed, pretty much because Kansas and Kentucky are missing. Believe it or not, they award NCAA Titles for every season, regardless of who's there. Well guess what, its not our fault that other teams didn't win their games.

If anyone out there thinks that this season will silence the critics I think you're in for a bad surprise. We're never going to win the battle of public opinion so just enjoy winning the games on the court.

No matter who wins the actual games played this weekend, I'm still voting for Kansas for this year's Helms Trophy.

Kedsy
03-30-2010, 03:12 PM
Mr. Goodman seems to think so. Link (http://msn.foxsports.com/cbk/story/coach-k-up-against-the-clock)

If you had to give odds on which coach is most likely to make another final four in the next five years how could K not be at or near the top of the list? I think his odds are pretty good and with the talent we have coming in the next couple of years, the odds are as good as any other coach in the country.

If I were speaking to him, I would refer him to my own theory (posted here at the end of January):

http://www.dukebasketballreport.com/forums/showthread.php?p=356205#post356205

If I'm right, we're going to see several more great Duke seasons over the next few years.

Jim3k
No matter who wins the actual games played this weekend, I'm still voting for Kansas for this year's Helms Trophy.

Wha-at!? Nothing for the White Phantoms of Chappa Heeya?

anon
In the same article, this guy says that Zoubs and Thomas didn't live up to the hype and then suggests that Duke will be much worse off without them.

Do news outlets still hire editors?

Duvall
03-30-2010, 03:13 PM
Wha-at!? Nothing for the White Phantoms of Chappa Heeya?

They'll be too busy celebrating their real national championship this week.

...oh, hey - JJ Redick. I guess this is the last of the custom titles.

dukelifer
03-30-2010, 03:17 PM

Well there are many, many coaches that will never ever make the FF. This year 3 of the 4 have made it before. There is only a select group who make it and will continue to make it. Izzo and Williams seem to lock up one or two spots every two years or so. So the odds are that it is going to be tough- which makes his getting there 11 times in the last 24 years all the more remarkable. At his rate, he should see at least one more before he is finished.

Greg_Newton
03-30-2010, 03:25 PM
If I were speaking to him, I would refer him to my own theory (posted here at the end of January):

http://www.dukebasketballreport.com/forums/showthread.php?p=356205#post356205

If I'm right, we're going to see several more great Duke seasons over the next few years.

That's pretty awesome, BTW. Sometimes I think the major networks would do better to outsource their Duke coverage to various DBR posters, as posts like this are generally more interesting and well thought-out than the Duke articles on their sites (although I have to give credit to Dana O'Neill, Tim Hall and of course Al Featherson for doing it right).

I don't really mind Goodman's article, though. He's just trying to stir up interest in the final 4, and possibly a little bit of goodwill for Duke. I think a lot of opposing fans view K as this unstoppable robot, and probably don't think about how they won't get to watch one of the great ones for much longer. Even if you're a hater, you should at least grudgingly appreciate being able to watch what he does so well while he's still doing it...

I don't think he's right by any means, but I don't think this article is bad for Duke.

Jderf
03-30-2010, 04:46 PM
It's just not a very sophisticated or insightful article (the kind of article of which there is no shortage on the web). I don't really see any meaningful talking points here. Obviously, Duke will have a fantastic shot at a final four next year whether or not Kyle stays. Obviously, that might still not happen (the final four, that is). Obviously, Coach K is nearing retirement, so with a little bad luck he might not make it to another final four. There's the article in three sentences. Not really a big deal.

DukeFanSince1990
03-30-2010, 04:51 PM
Ever since I read his writings last week about how Duke would lose in the tourney due to their "lack of size", I've decided he's an idiot. I'll still read him, I need a laugh now and then.

He really said that? How did he get that job?

Jarhead
03-30-2010, 05:00 PM
I think UNC has already claimed the Helms Trophy now that they have won more games than they lost. That's the reason they went to the NIT.

hurleyfor3
03-30-2010, 05:11 PM
...oh, hey - JJ Redick. I guess this is the last of the custom titles.

There may be one for Cameron at 9314, not sure.

RoyalBlue08
03-30-2010, 05:17 PM
This is such a silly idea. If Kyle comes back, we are going to be preseason #1. Even if he doesn't, we still might be (haven't given this a ton of thought, but assuming all the top players on most of this year's contenders leave for the pros, I think we are as good a choice as anyone for early season hype). While expectations in no way assure success, a more informed article might point towards this having the possibility of being the first in a run of Final Fours.

BD80
03-30-2010, 05:32 PM
The article would have been fine if it had closed with a sentiment along the lines of: enjoy it while you have the chance to watch one of the greatest coaches in history on the biggest stage the sport provides.

CameronBornAndBred
03-30-2010, 07:55 PM
He really said that? How did he get that job?
http://www.dukebasketballreport.com/forums/showthread.php?t=20352

dukemsu
03-30-2010, 09:26 PM
In a week full of poorly written, slanted, and just plain wrong articles about Duke Basketball, this is the worst one I've read. Well done, Jeff.

Anyone who follows the program at any level of depth knows the recruiting arrow is pointed upward, despite Barnes going to UNC. K is as active and motivated as he's been in years.

I honestly can't figure out where Goodman is going with this.

dukemsu

greybeard
03-30-2010, 10:33 PM
In the same article, this guy says that Zoubs and Thomas didn't live up to the hype and then suggests that Duke will be much worse off without them.

Do news outlets still hire editors?

Terrific!

DukeDevilDeb
03-30-2010, 10:46 PM
In a week full of poorly written, slanted, and just plain wrong articles about Duke Basketball, this is the worst one I've read. Well done, Jeff.

Anyone who follows the program at any level of depth knows the recruiting arrow is pointed upward, despite Barnes going to UNC. K is as active and motivated as he's been in years.

I honestly can't figure out where Goodman is going with this.

dukemsu

with his college choice NOW? Betcha a dollar he has had some regrets. Especially with the Heels down by 2 at the moment in the NIT semis! :D

devildeac
03-30-2010, 11:45 PM
There may be one for Cameron at 9314, not sure.

Hmm, wonder if ANYONE will ever find out...

And to stay on topic, I think K just might have several more years of coaching left and perhaps just a few more fine recruits suiting up over that time:rolleyes:;).

BD80
03-30-2010, 11:52 PM
Possibly the worst no-call ever in basketball wins the game for unc.

I guess all ACC schools within 8 miles of Durham get all the calls!

tecumseh
03-31-2010, 10:30 AM
Coach K looks pretty good to me and I spend my time around old people and if you take care of yourself and get a little luck you can usually go pretty hard until 70.

Myself, although he would not want to admit it to jinx himself I think Coach K is shooting for 1,000 wins. At his recent rate of winning that is only like 5 years. So I give him until he is a bit of 1,000 wins depending upon his team....if he has a great time coming back he really loves he stays another year.

OldPhiKap
03-31-2010, 10:54 AM
Coach K looks pretty good to me and I spend my time around old people and if you take care of yourself and get a little luck you can usually go pretty hard until 70.

Myself, although he would not want to admit it to jinx himself I think Coach K is shooting for 1,000 wins. At his recent rate of winning that is only like 5 years. So I give him until he is a bit of 1,000 wins depending upon his team....if he has a great time coming back he really loves he stays another year.

I think he will coach until the fire goes out or the body gives out. I don't know about the latter, but I think the former is a LONG time from now.

He has coached with more passion over the last two years than he has done in a long time. He is just starting another wind.

tecumseh
03-31-2010, 10:56 AM
Hey he is 20 years younger than JoPa

NashvilleDevil
03-31-2010, 11:05 AM
Hey he is 20 years younger than JoPa

This is true but JoePa is in a sport where you can delegate all responsibility. He is a figurehead and a great one at that.

ReformedAggie
03-31-2010, 11:45 AM
calling Coach K old is ridiculous.

OldPhiKap
03-31-2010, 11:48 AM
70 is the new 55.

hurleyfor3
03-31-2010, 12:04 PM
70 is the new 55.

Especially when it comes to speed limits. :eek:

I think first K wants to surpass all of Dean Smith's achievements (he will never say this, of course). Three is already greater than two, but there's also total wins, total Final Fours, total ACC championships, etc. After that... who knows.

OldPhiKap
03-31-2010, 12:54 PM
Especially when it comes to speed limits. :eek:

I think first K wants to surpass all of Dean Smith's achievements (he will never say this, of course). Three is already greater than two, but there's also total wins, total Final Fours, total ACC championships, etc. After that... who knows.

I think K is only about 13 wins behind the Shnoz.