PDA

View Full Version : Caveman TV show

JasonEvans
05-18-2007, 03:24 PM
Many of us have said we had high hopes for this show but are skeptical if it will work. I think any and all questions about its potential for humor will be resolved by watching this special preview clip that ABC has put on their website.

http://abc.go.com/fallpreview/cavemen/index?u=0

-Jason "scary thought-- that's the best stuff they've got... the cream of the crop in terms of promoting this show... wow! :eek: " Evans

ehdg
05-18-2007, 04:09 PM
You've got to be Kidding me!! ABC takes a flyer on this and CBS cans a good comedy in Class. Damn the heads of these networks or programming are buffoons!!

dukeblueyes
05-18-2007, 04:45 PM
They took a throwaway joke and turned into 30 seconds of torture. Remind me why Arrested Development isn't still on?

JasonEvans
05-18-2007, 05:02 PM
They took a throwaway joke and turned into 30 seconds of torture. Remind me why Arrested Development isn't still on?

Arrested Development was clearly (K)Nighted-- no question about it.

-Jason "if I use it enough, it will catch on, right?" Evans

dukeblueyes
05-18-2007, 05:07 PM
ABC: "I've made a huge mistake."

Mal
05-18-2007, 06:32 PM

Dude, maybe 14 people on this board will get that joke, but I laughed audibly. Nice one. NO TOUCHING!

As for that clip - egads! I think the ads were pretty genius, but this looks cringeworthy. Somehow the clip reminded me of that movie Multiplicity, except with no wit and no Michael Keaton.

JasonEvans
05-18-2007, 10:04 PM

Replace ABC with GOB.

-Jason

Duke4Ever32
05-18-2007, 10:09 PM

Okay, can someone explain this quote for those of us not in the 14??

Lavabe
05-18-2007, 11:55 PM
Let me guess Jason ... they live in Cobb County? I can see all sorts of creationism/evolution jokes in the one episode the series will get.

With any luck, the show will be like H. neanderthalensis and go extinct ... but more quickly.

How did this show survive focus groups? Could the exec pull the plug on it before it comes to TV? Pretty please?? So easy a caveman could cancel it!

This clip actually has me longing for the early 70's short-lived TV series, Planet of the Apes. At least that show had good make-up (the first couple of movies were classic; the TV series was mediocre at best).

Cheers,
Lavabe

dukeblueyes
05-19-2007, 12:26 AM
"I've made a huge mistake." = oft repeated line on Arrested Development.

Caveman tv show = blatant ripoff of Unfrozen Caveman Lawyer (Phil Hartman on SNL)...
"Ladies and gentlemen of the jury, I'm just a caveman. But there is one thing I do know - when a man like my client slips and falls on a sidewalk in front of a public library, then he is entitled to no less than two million in compensatory damages, and two million in punitive damages."

Edit: I love the internet: http://vids.myspace.com/index.cfm?fuseaction=vids.individual&videoID=652695596

-jk
05-20-2007, 05:55 PM
I just love throwing fuel on the fire...

What do Sophocles, Shakespeare, Dickens, I Love Lucy, All in the Family, MASH, and The Simpsons all have in common?

Each brought forth brilliant discussions on Human Nature. It really didn't matter the setting or the characters. They had fabulous writing, and dealt with timeless issues intelligently and compellingly.

The Cavemen commercials hint at such an awareness, which leads to their popularity. (Mind you, I think their gecko is merely cute and clever. Certainly no hint of timelessness there.)

Given how few sitcoms last beyond six weeks, I sincerely doubt the writers can pull off a full season, much less a dozen or more. The commercials have pretty much tapped out the gags.

IANAC (I am not a critic), nor have I read any reviews.

-jk

TillyGalore
05-21-2007, 03:59 PM
I'm starting to wonder if I am the only person who can't stand the caveman commercials.

Thus, I will NOT be watching this series. Much to my chagrin my boyfriend will. Guess I'll head to the other room and watch some other mindless drivel, or read a book.

I just don't get it!

Jfrosh
05-21-2007, 04:39 PM
I'm starting to wonder if I am the only person who can't stand the caveman commercials.

I love the commercials and wish they would make more. But that clip was just terrible. I see this as being a polar opposite to what happened with the Transformer movie. After the trailer came out it went from being a "maybe I'll see the dvd" to a must see movie. After I saw this clip Caveman went from "I'll check it out to see how they do it" to "I won't waste my time."

feldspar
05-21-2007, 04:43 PM
I couldn't tell from the commercials, but were the actual Geico actors used in the pilot? If not, stupid decision by the producers. I find those guys funny and have become emotionally invested in them as characters. To try and build a series around a different set of characters seems to be shooting yourself in the foot before you've even started the race.

Perhaps that's why the scenes are falling flat to most people.

BlueDiablo
05-21-2007, 05:30 PM
I find those guys funny and have become emotionally invested in them as characters.

You're emotionally invested in characters in the Geico commercials? That must take some guts to admit.

The website says that "Cavemen" will be a satire of race relations in America. Doesn't that seem somehow wrong?

feldspar
05-21-2007, 05:33 PM
You're emotionally invested in characters in the Geico commercials? That must take some guts to admit.

I think you know what I was trying to say.

billybreen
05-21-2007, 05:49 PM

You are not! Thankfully TiVo spares me from most of the pain.

BlueDiablo
05-21-2007, 06:00 PM
You are not! Thankfully TiVo spares me from most of the pain.

I don't really care for them, either. Then again, I'm a bit biased because I had a bad experience with Geico car insurance.

Raleighfan
05-22-2007, 09:54 AM
I couldn't tell from the commercials, but were the actual Geico actors used in the pilot? If not, stupid decision by the producers. I find those guys funny and have become emotionally invested in them as characters. To try and build a series around a different set of characters seems to be shooting yourself in the foot before you've even started the race.

The guys in the clip don't appear to be the same cavemen in the commercial. On the topic of Geico commercials, my favorites are the ones with "real" Geico customers accompanied by a celebrity. And of those, my favorite is the one featuring Little Richard...."mashed potatoes, ga-ravy, and cranberry sauce...WOOO!"

TillyGalore
05-22-2007, 10:37 AM
On the topic of Geico commercials, my favorites are the ones with "real" Geico customers accompanied by a celebrity.

My favorite is the voice over guy in the background. I love his voice!!

I also like the commercial where the gecko is talking to his lizard friends about spreading the word about Geico and the lizard runs off. :D :D

DevilAlumna
05-22-2007, 06:43 PM
I, umm, really *LOVE* those Allstate commercials with the 24 president... really.

(Thanks for sponsoring DBR, Allstate!)

Clipsfan
05-23-2007, 09:38 PM

I can't help thinking that the scene is falling flat with most people because it is a bad scene. As was mentioned above, it is a bad joke that gets dragged out way too long. Additionally, I don't think they are anywhere near as clever as they must think that they are equating races.

ehdg
05-24-2007, 03:55 PM
I, umm, really *LOVE* those Allstate commercials with the 24 president... really.

(Thanks for sponsoring DBR, Allstate!)

These are nice commercials but one question I'd like to know already who Stan is!!