PDA

View Full Version : On a lighter side!! Good Luck Rituals!!

GODUKEGO
03-29-2010, 10:09 PM
Does anyone also have a good luck ritual etc.. before a Duke game. My wife and I right before a game, throw a Duke basketball back and forth for a certain number of times. At the beginning of the season, I looked at the schedule and considering the ACC and NCAA Tournaments, I estimated it would take 36 wins to win the Championship. So without missing we would throw the ball back and forth 36 times. At the beginning of the ACC tournament, I adjusted it to 35 times. Are we the only wackos out here??

moonpie23
03-29-2010, 10:11 PM
can't talk about it....

DukeGirl4ever
03-29-2010, 10:13 PM
Does anyone also have a good luck ritual etc.. before a Duke game. My wife and I right before a game, throw a Duke basketball back and forth for a certain number of times. At the beginning of the season, I looked at the schedule and considering the ACC and NCAA Tournaments, I estimated it would take 36 wins to win the Championship. So without missing we would throw the ball back and forth 36 times. At the beginning of the ACC tournament, I adjusted it to 35 times. Are we the only wackos out here??

HA! That is different and pretty neat!
I do have good luck rituals but they are pretty boring. My Facebook Status for the past 2 months (with only 1 loss in that stretch) must be posted with less than a half hour before game time and says LET'S GO! DO WORK BOYS!
I also have a picture of Jon for my profile pic....I changed that when I started to do my statuses...so that must mean it works! :D

I also wear the same sweatshirt and sweatpants for every game and sit in the exact spot on my sofa. Like I said, a little boring, but I'm not changing this routine anytime soon!

GODUKEGO
03-29-2010, 10:14 PM
can't talk about it....

Too funny!!!

DukeGirl4ever
03-29-2010, 10:15 PM
can't talk about it....

Oh, THAT sounds interesting...and I'm left to speculate :eek:

HCheek37
03-29-2010, 10:16 PM
Before each game I close my eyes and pray to my grandfather and Duke Basketball Letterwinner, Herbert Cheek ('37).

At games I attend in person I'll wear this years shooting shirt over my signed Nolan Smith jersey and remove it prior to tip-off just like the players :)

CA Cameron Crazie
03-29-2010, 10:20 PM
We pull the sofa bed out and watch in the living room. The bed has been out for a month now =) We have our spots to sit in and our dog has to sleep in her bed next to us. During the Baylor game, she was confused because she wanted to get up and we made her go back to bed. We noticed that she had moved when Baylor had made their run and we weren't willing to risk it =)

Mrezt
03-29-2010, 10:28 PM
I have to wearing the right sweatshirt. There is a specific one, and usually i switch out specific t-shirts underneath. also during the game i change something (where i'm sitting, what im drinking, anything) and the team starts playing better/worse i adjust accordingly. During the Baylor game, Duke played the worst when my bag of chips was open, so near mid point of the 2nd half i closed it and put it completely away

Dr. Tina
03-29-2010, 10:32 PM
I dress up in all my Duke apparel on the day of a big game. I put on my Duke hat, t-shirt and/or sweatshirt, and blue and white spirit beads. I do this on game days...and days after we've won or lost. I show my Duke pride no matter what! I've been in blue so much this year that one of my students asked me why I wear blue all the time...LOL!

This past weekend I wore Duke stuff Friday, Saturday, and Sunday for good luck in the South Regional. I also brought a Duke bear in with me while I was watching the game. Today I wore my brand new Kyle Singler designed 17-0 shirt!

dukebluelemur
03-29-2010, 10:34 PM
I have two Duke shirts left over from my time at Duke, and the last championship. I was wearing Shirt 1 for the Cal game. I then, foolishly, had Shirt 2 on for the Purdue game.

At halftime, I went and dug the shirt from the Cal game shirt out of the smelly laundry hamper and switched.

I also wore it for the Baylor game.

Thanks from the rest of you would be sufficient, cash rewards would be appropriate though.

Welcome2DaSlopes
03-29-2010, 10:39 PM
can't talk about it....

Ditto

dukeblue1206
03-29-2010, 10:53 PM
I have a few Duke jerseys and I wear the same one each game as long as it is a win streak. When they lose I switch to a different jersey and the other one finally gets washed. I also do not touch the volume on my surround sound as long they are playing well. I know that is a little crazy. My dog has a ritual and that is to run and hide under the bed cause she knows I am about to start yelling and clapping. All she has to do is see me get in the seat I always sit in to watch the game and turn the surround sound up and she tucks tail and heads to the bedroom.

Lord Ash
03-29-2010, 10:53 PM
The ring goes on. Talk to the old fellow Tent #1er, who asks about the ring. Ring gets kissed at tip, and then at half, and anytime in between that it needs it.

That's about it.

DevilHorns
03-29-2010, 10:56 PM
For both Purdue and Baylor I have begun a new ritual of not sitting down for the entire game including halftime (I literally watch the game standing up, pacing, anywhere from 5-15 feet from the screen at all times). Any time anything good happens i Tigerwoods fist pump with my right arm/fist and scream. Sometimes I just scream. If I hate the call I run close to the TV and yell at the refs and yell at life in general I guess.

I dont know if thats a goodluck ritual. But this has become the new me (though there were hints of this new me during the Duke-UNC game at the Dean Dome earlier this year as I sparingly sat during that game as well).

dukeblue225
03-29-2010, 11:10 PM
I drink a lot of water, pace across my downstairs, and occasionally do Coach K's "Leading with the Heart" prayer.

Welcome2DaSlopes
03-29-2010, 11:17 PM
For both Purdue and Baylor I have begun a new ritual of not sitting down for the entire game including halftime (I literally watch the game standing up, pacing, anywhere from 5-15 feet from the screen at all times). Any time anything good happens i Tigerwoods fist pump with my right arm/fist and scream. Sometimes I just scream. If I hate the call I run close to the TV and yell at the refs and yell at life in general I guess.

Keep that up, it may not be good for your health but we're winning.

Relics
03-29-2010, 11:26 PM
I used to black out the NORTH CAROLINA on my driver's license with Sharpie during the season. I haven't done this in a few years.

91devil
03-29-2010, 11:33 PM
On opening day of this year's ACC Tournament, on the day of our game against UAPB, and on the day of our game against Purdue, I have randomly found a penny on the ground and picked it up.

I've carried those three lucky coins with me for the past few weeks, and I'm often holding them during crunch time of our games.

Just need to randomly find one on Saturday.

BlueDevils91
03-29-2010, 11:37 PM
I used to black out the NORTH CAROLINA on my driver's license with Sharpie during the season. I haven't done this in a few years.

DBR special: Go To Hell Carolina t-shirts 20% Off this week only. Use code: FINALFOUR

http://www.diehardthreads.com/products/go-to-hell-carolina-t-shirt

Final Four > NIT.
GO TO HELL CAROLINA, GO TO HELL!

Leck
03-29-2010, 11:48 PM
i wear the same clothes i wore during the previous win. basically, same clothes during a winning streak. suits, t-shirt and jeans, sweats, whatever. not all day, but just for the game. it's probably very beneficial that i insist on watching the games alone. perhaps i've shared a little bit too much information....haha.

dustin8131
03-30-2010, 12:09 AM
I dress up in all my Duke apparel on the day of a big game. I put on my Duke hat, t-shirt and/or sweatshirt, and blue and white spirit beads. I do this on game days...and days after we've won or lost. I show my Duke pride no matter what! I've been in blue so much this year that one of my students asked me why I wear blue all the time...LOL!

This past weekend I wore Duke stuff Friday, Saturday, and Sunday for good luck in the South Regional. I also brought a Duke bear in with me while I was watching the game. Today I wore my brand new Kyle Singler designed 17-0 shirt!

that is so random that at my buffalo wild wings where i always go my buddy won a duke bear in one of those grab machines at the start of the tourney and i have kept it with me at all times. I also wear the same nolan smith jersey and cargo shorts for every game.

Jarhead
03-30-2010, 12:22 AM
Mrs. Jarhead and I have a little ritual that we go through during the game. Any time Duke scores and sets a new higher points margin we shout out new higher difference and fist bump or high five, interchangeably. If we forget to do it the margin gets smaller, or even disappears for a while. Once the margin gets comfortable we feel that we made a contribution. We have been doing this since early February, except for the last game against Maryland. We were unable to watch that game live, so we accept part of the blame for that loss.

moonpie23
03-30-2010, 12:54 AM
the first rule of fight club is....

striker219
03-30-2010, 01:18 AM
i used to black out the north carolina on my driver's license with sharpie during the season. I haven't done this in a few years.

So you're the one!!!

4decadedukie
03-30-2010, 08:54 AM
This embarrasses me, but I say a little mantra every time we are on defense (sometimes silently, sometimes not). Fortunately, my wife and children (when, for example at Thanksgiving or Christmas, we are at their homes) are DEEP DUKIES, they are therefore understanding, tolerant, and do not believe I should be committed. Obviously, I also wear Duke regalia in abundance.

jhole
03-30-2010, 09:17 AM
My Duke buddy and I ate lunch separately at Bojangles on the day Duke lost badly to NC State this year. In doing a post mortem on that loss, we found this was likely the cause, and so for the remainder of this season we will not eat at Bojangles on game day. (in fact, we are avoiding Bojangles all together during the tournament just to be safe - clearly this is working)

sdotbarbee
03-30-2010, 09:36 AM
I have been wearing the same Duke T-shirt since the game at Clemson. It got a little dirty during the ACC tourney but who cares. I also drink beer up until game time but I can't drink during the game because I am too nervous.:D

Mtn.Devil.91.92.01.10.15
03-30-2010, 09:48 AM
I make a point of wearing my faded, hole-ridden 1991 Championship Tshirt when I go to the bar to watch games.

Somehow, when I'm watching at home, it isn't as important.

camion
03-30-2010, 10:05 AM
The cat seeks sanctuary in the basement when the game starts. If he stays around I know I'm not really into the game yet.

DukeGirl4ever
03-30-2010, 10:27 AM
The cat seeks sanctuary in the basement when the game starts. If he stays around I know I'm not really into the game yet.

HAHA! I have the same problem with my dog, but his name is DUKE!
He hides up in the computer room b/c he has no idea who I am yelling at! :p

KyDevilinIL
03-30-2010, 11:14 AM
Oddly enough, for years I have taken great pains to wear or touch absolutely no Duke logos, shirts, hats, whatever on game days. Nothing. It started sometime in the early to mid 1990s, when we lost a home game to someone – perhaps Illinois – and I decided to blame it on the Duke hat I was wearing during the game.

It covers the entire 24-hour period of game days. At my old newspaper job in Illinois, I often worked night shifts that ended at 12:30 a.m. If it's a Friday night and Duke played on Saturday, I allowed myself to wear some sort of Duke apparel, as long as I made a point to change out of it before midnight.

6th Man
03-30-2010, 12:22 PM
I have a Jon Scheyer jersey. He was struggling in the first half against Purdue. I decided he needed some positive mojo in the second half so I put on the jersey at halftime. He played great the second half. I was torn between waiting until the second half against Baylor, but decided he needed a good game from the opening tip for Duke to have a chance. I wore it the whole game Sunday. Jon had a great game again. So...I will be wearing the jersey again Sat. night for the full game and I hope next Monday night as well.

peblnh8
03-30-2010, 12:27 PM
my parents bought me a duke watch for graduation in may 09. I've only ever worn it on game days. it's worked out well thus far ;-)

GoingFor#5
03-30-2010, 12:29 PM
Nothing in particular pre-game, but during a tournament game I will get very superstitious. If we are doing well, I will sit in the same position, keep the pillows the same way, etc. If we aren't doing well, I might open or close a window, change seating position, or something like that. The Baylor game was the most stressed I've been in a long time. I wish I wouldn't put myself through the stress, but there's nothing I can really do about it. Fandom is a rather bizarre psychological condition.

vango
03-30-2010, 12:30 PM
I forgot to put out my Duke flag on the house before the A-PB game. My Duke hoodie I normally wear was in the wash for that game too. So, the flag has remained put away and the hoodie has been nicely folded for over a week on a shelf. I'm not messin' 'round here.....

vango
03-30-2010, 12:32 PM
Nothing in particular pre-game, but during a tournament game I will get very superstitious. If we are doing well, I will sit in the same position, keep the pillows the same way, etc. If we aren't doing well, I might open or close a window, change seating position, or something like that. The Baylor game was the most stressed I've been in a long time. I wish I wouldn't put myself through the stress, but there's nothing I can really do about it. Fandom is a rather bizarre psychological condition.

I do the same thing - if we're not doing well and I move to a different position and we start performing better I do not move - I stay right where I am. :o

TallMan
03-30-2010, 12:40 PM
During my freshman year, 2000-2001, I wore a Duke 1999 t-shirt and hat (which I picked up during my college tour) to every single game in an effort to exorcise the demons of 1999. Needless to say, it worked!

I retired that garb after the season, but then I broke it out again during the 2004 Final Four run. Apparently, it only worked once. When Duke had a sizable lead on UConn with only a few minutes left (we were watching on the big screen in Cameron), my buddy exclaimed "It's over!" We've never let him hear the end of it since then. On Sunday against Baylor, my one friend in NY and I in Philly texted this friend (who is in Boston) simultaneously with a few minutes left to say "Shut Up!"

My rituals now include drinking coffee out of a special Duke mug on game days and wearing a beat up Cameron Crazies shirt that I picked up in 2002. If Duke starts playing poorly, or the other team makes a run, I move from my couch and sit on the floor for the rest of the game. Glad to know I'm not the only "weird" one out there!

Merlindevildog91
03-30-2010, 12:40 PM
I used to refuse to allow boyfriends to watch in the same room with me, but the Rev. Devildog believes that he needs to be in the same room, with Merlin the Rescue Hound between us.

Since 1990, I have refused to wear anything with a Duke logo on it for game day. Then I heard a guy on the radio disparaging superstitions, and I decided he was probably right (right after the Maryland loss). So for the next game, I wore my "Cameron Indoor Stadium is open for business" T-shirt, and we all know what happened against UNC in our house.

Now, just to be on the safe side, I've worn the Cameron Indoor Stadium shirt for every game since. I also look for something with Duke on it; a license plate, sticker, a house flag, anything.

Niels Bohr, Nobel Prize Winner for Physics, had a horseshoe hanging, upside down (so the luck wouldn't run out) in his laboratory. He was asked by a reporter, "Why do you, a noted scientist, have a horseshoe here? Do you believe in luck?" Bohr replied, "As a noted scientist, I do not believe in good luck. However, I understand that a horseshoe brings good luck, whether you believe in it or not."

moonpie23
03-30-2010, 12:43 PM
"There may be another message after... ...if all goes well"

GLTBD
03-30-2010, 01:13 PM
The games I do not attend (ususally away games) I can only watch in the upstairs bedroom. The two times I watched in the basement they lost (Clemson at Clemson and UNC at CIS) last year.

CLT Devil
03-30-2010, 01:30 PM
I put on my 'special' jeans and old Duke shirt 1 hour prior to tip. I have a warmup jacket that is bad luck so nobody is allowed to open the closet it is in on game day...and not really at all this time of the year.

I also start a fire in my fireplace for every game. It's been getting warmer and warmer here so I literally cut the AC way down and fire it up...I have exactly enough wood for two more games.

I start drinking at least an hour or so before the game to settle my nerves. My wife thought it would be bad because I wouldn't be as sharp for the game, but I am literally so nervous it has no effect.

There is a watch I have when I graduated that has our three Natty Champ years on the face...bad luck, don't wear at all anymore.

Other than that, I just sit and watch and go nuts.

coldriver10
03-30-2010, 01:52 PM
Man, this thread is making me superstitious...

GODUKEGO
03-30-2010, 01:58 PM
I also start a fire in my fireplace for every game. It's been getting warmer and warmer here so I literally cut the AC way down and fire it up...I have exactly enough wood for two more games.

Other than that, I just sit and watch and go nuts.

Charlotte weather: Sat
Apr 3

Partly Cloudy

High of 77°

Three words for you "BURN BABY BURN"

Rich
03-30-2010, 02:03 PM

OK, so I have a ritual which involves wearing certain clothing while watching the game on TV. If I tape the game using my DVR and watch it after the game has finished, does the ritual work? While I don't know the result, the game has obviously been concluded, but I still feel that not doing my ritual could affect the outcome of the game (as do we all, right?). Or are rituals only worthwhile and effective in real time?

Shane05
03-30-2010, 02:19 PM
I discovered last year that when I wear Duke gear, it's actually detrimental to the team. So this year I wear blue jeans, blue t-shirt, and a blue pullover for the big games, but nothing Duke related. I bought this item last year:

http://images.footballfanatics.com/productImages/_141000/FF_141967_xl.jpg

and I keep it close by during games. But I never put it on during the game.

aro24
03-30-2010, 03:00 PM
I have a Black jersey that I have only pulled out for a handfull of games this year.........UNC games and a couple of others that I thought were big games or must wins.
So far, Duke has not lost while I have been wearing it. (all NCAA tourney games as well)

More importantly....I had it on this past Sunday.....watched the game then had to hide in the closet with my wife and little boy as a tornado tore through our neighborhood. Our neighborhood was hit pretty hard.....and ours was one of the few houses in my area without any damage.....

Could the jersey work beyond just the game ??? :confused::D

ARo24

coldriver10
03-30-2010, 03:17 PM
I have a Black jersey that I have only pulled out for a handfull of games this year.........UNC games and a couple of others that I thought were big games or must wins.
So far, Duke has not lost while I have been wearing it. (all NCAA tourney games as well)

More importantly....I had it on this past Sunday.....watched the game then had to hide in the closet with my wife and little boy as a tornado tore through our neighborhood. Our neighborhood was hit pretty hard.....and ours was one of the few houses in my area without any damage.....

Could the jersey work beyond just the game ??? :confused::D

ARo24
Knock on wood!!!

Also, I'm glad to hear your house is okay. I hope the damage done to your neighbors' homes isn't too bad and that everyone is safe.

godukecom
03-30-2010, 04:12 PM
1. I must wear a Duke shirt for the day of any men's or women's games. for big games, I pull out my very old poofy Duke slippers

2. Even if I watch on TV, I have to listen to Bob Harris. I dont care that the time delay gets annoying- i grew up listening to Bob and thats how I want to listen to every duke game. The only exception is for games I am at live

3. every door in the room I am watching must be shut

4. at every timeout (particularly down the stretch) I have to go to the bathroom (more because of nerves than anything else), but I must get back before the Duke Radio Network returns. Otherwise its bad luck.

5. Hands and feet crossed. If the other team goes on a run, reverse what foot is on top and it usually helps

6. Facebook status (new tradition this year): Lets Go DUKE!!!