PDA

View Full Version : Serena, Lindsay, and Womens Basketball

tecumseh
03-30-2010, 10:31 AM
I don't think of myself as a misogynist and I love to watch Serena or Lindsay Vonn but I think the way TV works it works against womens basketball. You cannot tell speed so it is impossible to say hey that woman is no Michael Phelps, ditto Lindsay Vonn. They all look good and impressive and it is exciting and some things like figure skating or Vonn hitting big air over a jump is obviously hard and impressive.

It may be me but watching the womens game last night was very unimpressive. I have watched too many mens game and the level is so high it is hard not to compare and say geez they look slow and earthbound. Not sure the WNBA can ever overcome this.

Duvall
03-30-2010, 10:38 AM
Thanks. Got any other likes or dislikes you want to share? Brussel sprouts? Folk music?

DukeGirl4ever
03-30-2010, 10:38 AM
I don't think of myself as a misogynist and I love to watch Serena or Lindsay Vonn but I think the way TV works it works against womens basketball. You cannot tell speed so it is impossible to say hey that woman is no Michael Phelps, ditto Lindsay Vonn. They all look good and impressive and it is exciting and some things like figure skating or Vonn hitting big air over a jump is obviously hard and impressive.

It may be me but watching the womens game last night was very unimpressive. I have watched too many mens game and the level is so high it is hard not to compare and say geez they look slow and earthbound. Not sure the WNBA can ever overcome this.

That game was slow...but I have seen games that are very exciting and have a good tempo. I remember the Duke/Stanford game a few years ago at Cameron. That was such a fast-paced game, our girls pressed and were up and down the court. Last night's game had a defensive, half-court tone to it.

The difference in women's bball, IMO, is the 10 second rule - THERE IS NO 10 SECOND RULE IN THE BACK COURT. I HATE THAT! It makes it very difficult to press a team because they have all day to get the ball across half court. Change that rule, I think it may help.

Of course, speed is a factor as well, and that will never change.