PDA

View Full Version : Al Skinner fired?

dukejim1
03-30-2010, 09:07 AM
Boston Globe is reporting this. Possible coaching upgrade for the conference.

bluebear
03-30-2010, 09:13 AM
Boston Globe is reporting this. Possible coaching upgrade for the conference.

I'll be curious to hear what the rationale is behind this. I haven't personally liked Skinner as I think he hasn't done enough to reign in his players at times but he has been modestly successful. BC fired its last football coach after he wanted to interview for a pro coordinator job..Skinner had apparently been given the ok to interview for the St. John's job but this still looks like an odd pattern..

roywhite
03-30-2010, 09:41 AM
Also being reported by ESPN.

http://sports.espn.go.com/boston/ncb/news/story?id=5039956

BC did not look like a happy group this year. Trapani, for one, seemed out of sorts.

miramar
03-30-2010, 09:56 AM
It's kind of strange, especially since according to the ESPN article it has nothing to do with St. Johns. At the same time, I can't quite agree with the ESPN comment that, "Skinner is one of the most respected coaches in the game." He has done well, but too many of his players are borderline out of control. He certainly wasn't anywhere near John Thompson Sr., but this kind of behavior seems strange at a Jesuit school.

cruxer
03-30-2010, 10:05 AM
The Globe article made it seem like Skinner was fired some time ago, but it was kept under wraps while he looked for another gig. That would explain the St. Johns interview; he was apparently already unemployed.

I certainly would have lost the bet for the first ACC coach fired this year.

-c

GarrickB28
03-30-2010, 10:18 AM
I have close knowledge of the situation, and it had a lot to do with the fact that Skinner would not fire one of his assistants. BC was giving him the chance to find a new job before they announced. I thought Skinner did a good job developing Talent in Bell, Dudley and Smith. I think you cant blame Sean Williams on Al Skinner, Sean Williams had his own problems. Not like our Basketball players have never smoked pot etc...you just never hear about it here.

Orange&BlackSheep
03-30-2010, 10:20 AM
And be forced to coach against Duke yearly? I would like nothing more than him leaving Harvard so they can go back to obscurity where they belong.

mcdukie
03-30-2010, 10:25 AM
Amaker is on the short list along with Donahue from Cornell. I think Amaker could do a decent job there.

Devilsfan
03-30-2010, 10:25 AM
Hope they don't go after any retreads. A young energetic, intelligent coach would be great. We have two on our staff that would put B.C. basketball on the map, imo. They have U.S.A. coaching experience as well as coaching in the Final Four.

npdevil27
03-30-2010, 10:56 AM
I'll be curious to hear what the rationale is behind this.

According to the ESPN article, one of the big reasons is simply that the program doesn't get people in the arena.

roywhite
03-30-2010, 11:01 AM
According to the ESPN article, one of the big reasons is simply that the program doesn't get people in the arena.

Fans in the Boston area don't feel connected to a conference where the other members are located from Maryland to Florida?

Shocking. :eek:

Reddevil
03-30-2010, 11:02 AM
I have no idea why he was fired, but what always struck me about his teams was their ability to start their offense so close to the basket, and the interior passing. I've never seen anything quite like it. I always wanted to be a fly on the wall during there preseason practices to see how this gets implemented. Like him or not, he can coach. A BC game was never a pleasant experience.

OldPhiKap
03-30-2010, 11:05 AM
Fans in the Boston area don't feel connected to a conference where the other members are located from Maryland to Florida?

Shocking. :eek:

Throw in the fact that the weather's miserable in the winter, and the Celtics or Bruins are on TV . . . .

OldPhiKap
03-30-2010, 11:06 AM
I certainly would have lost the bet for the first ACC coach fired this year.

Nah, Roy's safe for at least another year.

juise
03-30-2010, 11:13 AM
Throw in the fact that the weather's miserable in the winter, and the Celtics or Bruins are on TV . . . .

And the Pats are playing for a good chunk of the season, too (granted, that's one day a week).

juise
03-30-2010, 11:14 AM
Nah, Roy's safe for at least another year.

Amazing what an NIT run will do boost morale for a desperate fan base, eh? :D

devildeac
03-30-2010, 11:37 AM
Lavin's available...

OldPhiKap
03-30-2010, 11:40 AM
^^^^ and his hair is perfect.

diablesseblu
03-30-2010, 11:50 AM
:eek:
Lavin's available...

Lavin and Swofford at ACC meetings -- how much unctuousness could one conference tolerate?

Mal
03-30-2010, 12:00 PM
^^^^ and his hair is perfect.

AaaaWOOOOOOOO! Werewolves of Boston.

roywhite
03-30-2010, 12:20 PM
:eek:

Lavin and Swofford at ACC meetings -- how much unctuousness could one conference tolerate?

Yeah, too bad Mack Brown is not around.

Swofford, Mack Brown, Ole Roy---probably just a coincidence the word is spelled unc-tuous

diablesseblu
03-30-2010, 12:30 PM
Yeah, too bad Mack Brown is not around.

Swofford, Mack Brown, Ole Roy---probably just a coincidence the word is spelled unc-tuous

Yep.......those three are the perfect trifecta.

BlueintheFace
03-31-2010, 04:56 PM
http://www.fannation.com/truth_and_rumors/view/174350-the-laziest-coach-in-college-hoops?eref=fromSI

The laziest coach in college basketball is now unemployed after Boston College fired Al Skinner. Al works Al hours, arriving around noon, playing some pickup ball, and going to a practice that, more than likely, had been planned by an assistant. Don't they know how infrequently Al is seen on the recruiting trail during the offseason, when games are really won and lost? Don't they know that if you hire Al, you must supply him with a first-class recruiting assistant, one who totally understands Al's likes, dislikes, and peculiarities? Don't they know, that, when it comes to offense, Al is, ahem, inflexible?

-The Boston Globe

OUCH!!!

devil84
03-31-2010, 05:16 PM
To consolidate the discussion on all the coaching changes (as there is usually quite a bit of overlap as coaches are considered for multiple positions), please use this thread: http://www.dukebasketballreport.com/forums/showthread.php?t=20508.

Thanks.