PDA

View Full Version : Stay on campus or go to indy?

prattball
03-29-2010, 11:13 PM
So I am a senior at Duke and am really pumped for this years team. Was wondering if I could get some input from past Dukies who have had the chance to experience the final four? I have tix but a lot of people have told me that being on campus for celebrations is a once in a lifetime opportunity. I felt the same way of actually being at the stadium for the games.

Have any of you had the experience of either 1) being on campus for a final four/national championship? or 2) actually attending a final four/national championship?

Thanks

hc5duke
03-29-2010, 11:19 PM
So I am a senior at Duke and am really pumped for this years team. Was wondering if I could get some input from past Dukies who have had the chance to experience the final four? I have tix but a lot of people have told me that being on campus for celebrations is a once in a lifetime opportunity. I felt the same way of actually being at the stadium for the games.

Have any of you had the experience of either 1) being on campus for a final four/national championship? or 2) actually attending a final four/national championship?

Thanks

I was in Cameron in '01 and in San Antonio '04. If you can go, there is no question about it, go to the game.

mr. synellinden
In my opinion this is a no brainer. If Duke wins, you will want to be on campus to celebrate with your fellow students. As a senior, this is a once in a lifetime opportunity. You will never again have the chance to experience winning as a college student. As an alum, you will hopefully have many chances to go to the Final Four when Duke is playing.

I have been both on campus (as a student) and in the stadium (as an alum) when Duke has won the NC, and if I had to do it over again I wouldn't change that.

coldriver10
I'm a current Duke grad student who was an undergrad during the 2004 FF and who was also initially struggling a bit with the dilemma. I will say that Cameron usually opens for the championship game and, I believe, also for the semis (though memory is failing me here). Ultimately, I've decided to stay in town in case they make it to the finals. The atmosphere on campus is electric, watching it in Cameron with thousands of fellow students would be amazing, and the bonfire/celebration if we were to win would be a once-in-a-lifetime opportunity. That's my take.

But going to Indy would be cool, too! (though not nearly as convenient if we don't make it to the finals)

Welcome2DaSlopes
03-29-2010, 11:20 PM
Well i don't have experience with this but i'll just say, you can get tickets almost anytime, but being on campus with your classmates your last year is as you said a once in a lifetime opportunity.

DevilHorns
03-29-2010, 11:23 PM
I am as Dick Vitale said so eloquently "It starts with J, and it ends with S. And you put all the other letters in it, and it spells J-E-A-L-O-U-S"

wilson
03-29-2010, 11:24 PM
In my opinion this is a no brainer. If Duke wins, you will want to be on campus to celebrate with your fellow students. As a senior, this is a once in a lifetime opportunity. You will never again have the chance to experience winning as a college student. As an alum, you will hopefully have many chances to go to the Final Four when Duke is playing.

I have been both on campus (as a student) and in the stadium (as an alum) when Duke has won the NC, and if I had to do it over again I wouldn't change that.+1 to this. I was on campus for '01 and '04, and the buzz there is different, and more impossible to replicate, than the one at the games. Go to the Final Four when you can actually afford it.
Can you sell your tickets?

pacificrounder
03-29-2010, 11:25 PM
My only experience is with graduating college and the unfortunate realization that even when you meet up with your buddies as Alums, it is never quite the same. Sell the tickets, stay on campus, and GO DUKE!

RoyalBlue08
03-29-2010, 11:29 PM
I never went to a Final Four, but I was on campus for the celebration in '01 and I wouldn't trade that experience for anything.

juise
03-29-2010, 11:31 PM
I also was on campus as a freshman ('01) and went to San Antonio ('04) my senior year. It's really hard to compare the experiences because I can't tell you what it's like to attend a game where Duke wins. I can tell you that being in the stadium when Duke loses and then walking back to car amongst celebrating (UCon(n)... blech) fans is really depressing.

Celebrating on campus was incredible. The benches burned like no other. Security locked down the campus, so it was really a unique experience. I think I agree with those who said to stay on campus.

The only caveat I would throw out in the opposite direction is that we had AMAZING seats in 2004. We were in the first row behind the band (and the band was in chairs on the floor). We had similar seats for the Atlanta regional and it was so special. I cannot imagine ever having better seats to a tournament game. But then again, I am less affluent than some Dukies. I know that not everyone can get front row of the student section either. It's certainly not as special as being in Cameron.

Orange&BlackSheep
03-29-2010, 11:34 PM
in '91 and '92 and he thinks those two weekends were amongst his life's best. I know he would tell you to go ...

O&B Sheep

Devil07
03-29-2010, 11:36 PM
Not to be pessimistic, but I'll also say that staying on campus can be a lot better in the event of a loss. I had the option to go to San Antonio in '04 but decided to stay around campus in the hopes of a huge celebration. We all know how that one turned out and I was VERY glad not to have to a) deal with UCONN fans and b) to stick around to watch UCONN beat Ga. Tech. Staying on campus to me is the way to go. If we lose it's less painful and if we (hopefully) win you get a once in a lifetime celebration. Trust me, as an alum I can tell you that it will never be as fun as being a student. You'll hopefully have the chance to go to a final four as an alum and it will be the same as going now. But you'll never be able to go back to campus as a student (unless you're planning on being a grad student but even that I think is different than undergrad). Either way, what a nice problem to have!

El_Diablo
03-29-2010, 11:37 PM
If we win it all, you'll be happy either way.

David
03-29-2010, 11:38 PM
I am class of '93 and stayed on campus for all three FFs ('90, '91, '92) during my time at Duke. As another poster suggested, the scene on campus is absolutely electric and I would not trade this experience for anything. You have a lifetime to see Duke play in a FF in-person. Since graduating, I have attended three FFs in-person (94, 99, 01). Thus, my advice would be to stay on campus.

As a potential compromise, a couple of my friends from Duke went to the FF game in '91 (also in Indy) and then returned to campus for the championship game. Thus, they got to see Duke beat UNLV in-person and then enjoy the Monday night celebration on-campus. Pretty good weekend, eh?

prattball
03-30-2010, 12:16 AM
Thanks for all of the replies.... Now that I have the student section tix I know for sure that I want to be at the semis. It's the nat'l championship game that is in question. In regards to selling tickets, we have to show up with our own credit card and duke ID to enter into the stadium so we won't sell the tickets.

There will be 600 Duke students in Indy (known from people who entered in lottery) to celebrate with, but I agree the atmosphere on campus would not be replicable.

lifelongdevil
03-30-2010, 12:18 AM
I am in the same situation. Heard that all the lottery tickets hadn't been claimed, so I was able to get student section tickets. Even have a free place to stay in Indianapolis.

Unfortunately have a midterm and paper Mon and Tuesday.

Don't these professors know where the priorities are?

DevilHorns
03-30-2010, 12:21 AM
I am in the same situation. Heard that all the lottery tickets hadn't been claimed, so I was able to get student section tickets. Even have a free place to stay in Indianapolis.

Unfortunately have a midterm and paper Mon and Tuesday.

Don't these professors know where the priorities are?

Im pretty sure when we won in 2001 they gave the students a break for the following few days. Did you try to bargain with the Profs? Most of them are very reasonable and very understanding of the situation.

juise
03-30-2010, 12:25 AM
Im pretty sure when we won in 2001 they gave the students a break for the following few days. Did you try to bargain with the Profs? Most of them are very reasonable and very understanding of the situation.

I don't remember that. I remember sheepishly ducking out of my Tuesday physics recitation so that I could make the welcome home party in Cameron. I definitely didn't have any profs cancel class or assignments.

Richard Berg
03-30-2010, 12:29 AM
Yet another 01 + 04 alum here. The atmosphere in front of Cameron's projection screen, and around the quad after we beat Zona, was one-in-a-lifetime. Don't miss it.

And that's as someone who:
- was in the front row of the band each time
- lived in San Antonio, & thus had far more opportunities to have fun with my buddies during the long weekend after the UConn loss
- coincidentally, had the exact same experience in the 2002 women's FF

If you want to travel in the postseason, the ACC tourney is where it's at in my opinion. No worries about buying tix last minute; constant basketball for several days in a row; well known rivalries with equally passionate fans day-in-day-out; and you never have to drive far from Durham.

DevilHorns
03-30-2010, 12:30 AM
I don't remember that. I remember sheepishly ducking out of my Tuesday physics recitation so that I could make the welcome home party in Cameron. I definitely didn't have any profs cancel class or assignments.

I actually began in the Fall of 2002, I just remember when we made the 4 in 2004 that those who were around for 2001 said they were given a break after the championship. I guess tt was probably on a prof by prof basis then. Still, it doesnt hurt trying. Especially small seminars where you only have to convince 2-3 nerds of the 9 to come on board with the delay. The other 6 are die hard fans :)

mehmattski
03-30-2010, 12:48 AM
I have a ticket as well, and I never thought twice about going. Price isn't the issue, since student tickets are only $25 for all three games.

My decision is definitely swayed by this being my seventh year as a Duke student, and remembering how depressed the campus was after we lost in 2004. If it were just a ticket in the nosebleeds that you paid $400+ for, then I would argue for staying on campus. But being in the student section should Duke win it all, that's once-in-a-lifetime as well.

Plus, doesn't Coach K say that the only time we should rush the court is if we win a Nat'l Championship? Wouldn't you want to be a part of that?

See you in Indy!

uh_no
03-30-2010, 02:49 AM
I have a ticket as well, and I never thought twice about going. Price isn't the issue, since student tickets are only $25 for all three games.

My decision is definitely swayed by this being my seventh year as a Duke student, and remembering how depressed the campus was after we lost in 2004. If it were just a ticket in the nosebleeds that you paid $400+ for, then I would argue for staying on campus. But being in the student section should Duke win it all, that's once-in-a-lifetime as well.

Plus, doesn't Coach K say that the only time we should rush the court is if we win a Nat'l Championship? Wouldn't you want to be a part of that?

See you in Indy!

Agree 100%

i hate to call some of the posters on this thread selfish, but they are being quite so

aren't crazies known for putting it all on the line to be the sixth man? isn't that why students show up at the games?

so now, for the most important games of the year, students are willingly turning down opportunities to support the team so they can be on campus to enjoy the afterparty.....how does that sound? selfish? yeah....

boy would IC love to see the comments hear....duke fans not wanting to be fans so they can party....sounds like a great group of student fans!

Starter
03-30-2010, 05:31 AM
I was a senior in 2001 and had the opportunity to be media credentialed for Minneapolis. I decided to stay on campus, and I have not regretted that decision once. I will never, ever experience that feeling again, to celebrate the team's ultimate victory at the school I loved, with the people I loved, as a senior. My decision had nothing to do with partying -- though make no mistake, I had a blast that entire extended weekend (AND, I'll add, made it to class on Tuesday morning at 9). And it certainly had nothing to do with being "selfish." It had everything to do with pouring my heart and soul into a team and my school for four years, and wanting to share our finest moment with the people who meant the most to me at my favorite place in the world.

Now I knew every single player on the team, some quite personally, and most if not all would remember me today. But my relationships with them paled in comparison to those I had with my best friends, who had come to be my brothers. That's who I wanted to share the evening with. If that's wrong, I wouldn't have wanted to be right.

jkidd31
03-30-2010, 06:40 AM
Thanks for all of the replies.... Now that I have the student section tix I know for sure that I want to be at the semis. It's the nat'l championship game that is in question. In regards to selling tickets, we have to show up with our own credit card and duke ID to enter into the stadium so we won't sell the tickets.

There will be 600 Duke students in Indy (known from people who entered in lottery) to celebrate with, but I agree the atmosphere on campus would not be replicable.

If they win and you decide to return to campus you can drop the championship game ticket(s) off at me place in Cincinnati. I'll make sure you have gas money for the trip home :)

I actually have a friend who goes to the Final Four every year and he'll try to get me a ticket should we beat WVU.

hurleyfor3
03-30-2010, 08:52 AM
Go to Indy. Part of the fun at the Final Four is the whole spectacle -- the other fanbases, the arena all decked out and so on. Once you're out of college it won't matter as much as it does now. Go.

DukieBoy
03-30-2010, 09:02 AM
For anyone who doesn't go to the game, I'll gladly take the tickets :D

But addressing the question, being only a freshman at IU, I haven't experienced anything close to that for a basketball program. HOWEVER, I was at Butler for a couple of their tourney games with some friends and that campus was so fun to be at during the games. I can't imagine that same atmosphere at the FF.

dyedwab
03-30-2010, 09:19 AM
As a senior in '91, a bunch of friends and I had pledged that we would go to the FF if we made. We had been the previous three years, and Indy was the CLOSEST it had been to campus in all four of those years.

I can't remember having a better time. Still remember it with a smile. And to top it off, I've been immortalized on the official NCAA highlight film of that championship. After they show the Brian Davis dunk that clinched the Kansas game, one of the crowd shots is me going crazy - shot by the NCAA camera man literally standing two feet from me (and me not knowing or caring).

That said, I hear that campus was awesome that night. But here's the other thing. The hangover from that win last for weeks. The campus was just a happier place for the rest of the year.

Like I said, you can't go wrong.

I envy your dilemma.

Chitowndevil
03-30-2010, 09:22 AM
Duke '99 here, Ph.D. '04. I was devastated when we lost, but I was there in '99 and on campus in '01. There is NO comparison. GO TO INDY.

DevilBen02
03-30-2010, 09:28 AM
Not to be pessimistic, but I'll also say that staying on campus can be a lot better in the event of a loss. I had the option to go to San Antonio in '04 but decided to stay around campus in the hopes of a huge celebration. We all know how that one turned out and I was VERY glad not to have to a) deal with UCONN fans and b) to stick around to watch UCONN beat Ga. Tech. Staying on campus to me is the way to go. If we lose it's less painful and if we (hopefully) win you get a once in a lifetime celebration. Trust me, as an alum I can tell you that it will never be as fun as being a student. You'll hopefully have the chance to go to a final four as an alum and it will be the same as going now. But you'll never be able to go back to campus as a student (unless you're planning on being a grad student but even that I think is different than undergrad). Either way, what a nice problem to have!

I wouldn't let the fear of a loss make the decision. I was also in San Antonio in '04 and had a great time despite the loss. Sure, it was depressing on Saturday night, but we found a great place that served ultra-cheesy nachos and frozen, blended Jack-and-Cokes to wallow in our sorrow. The next couple of days, we still enjoyed the crowds and atmosphere around the games, and we were big Yellow Jackets fans on Monday. Being at a Final Four is a great experience regardless of how your team does.

That being said, I was also on campus in '01 (my junior year) and wouldn't trade that celebration for anything. There will (hopefully) be other opportunities to go to the games in future years, but that in-college experience is something you can never have again.

hurleyfor3
03-30-2010, 09:44 AM
One other point: I know 80+ year old Cubs fans who had a chance to go to the 1945 World Series but didn't, thinking they'd just go the next time the Cubs were in it.

They're still waiting.

ArtVandelay
03-30-2010, 09:53 AM
Never been to the Final Four, but I will echo the sentiments of those who say that being on campus (if we win it all) is something you don't want to miss. I was there in '01, and that was one of the craziest nights of my time at Duke. I will probably remember that night (at least the earlier part of it, anyway) forever. I think I agree that you can always attend the actual Final Four some other time after you're out of school.

On the flip side, if we lose, you can guarantee that it's going to be like a funeral there. I was also there in '99 for the UConn loss, and that was one of the most painful nights of my time at Duke.

BlueHeaven
03-30-2010, 10:08 AM
I'm so old, I was on campus for the '86 NC game where we lost in the last 45 seconds to Louisville. I have to say, there is nothing like it and I still talk about it. The school set up a giant monitor on the residential quad and everyone sat out on blankets and watched the game. It turned into a giant party, although somewhat morose when we lost. There was a big rally when the team returned, again on the quad, where they all talked from a stage. I'm not sure why the university didn't think of putting us all in Cameron then, but man was it fun. Again, in '88 we went to the Final Four and the campus was in a frenzy. I have a vague memory of classes being cancelled, but I wasn't a regular at some of them anyway, so I could be wrong. I agree with whomever said you'll have plenty of opportunity to go when you graduate, but won't be able to experience it on campus again. Duke is special--stay and revel in our success:)

BlueHeaven
03-30-2010, 10:16 AM
BTW, I was a sophomore that year, fwiw, in calculating my oldness. In a testament to Duke fans, the campus was also raucous when we won the NCAA men's soccer tournament in 87 or 88. I could go on and on. I have a Chronicle framed from '91 in my office "Duke kicks Kans-a**... Campus in fiery toilet-papered uproar after win!"

hurleyfor3
03-30-2010, 10:21 AM
BTW, I was a sophomore that year, fwiw, in calculating my oldness. In a testament to Duke fans, the campus was also raucous when we won the NCAA men's soccer tournament in 87 or 88. I could go on and on. I have a Chronicle framed from '91 in my office "Duke kicks Kans-a**... Campus in fiery toilet-papered uproar after win!"

Mod note: The headline referred to above read Duke Kicks Kans-as, except with an extra S on the end. The board won't allow the word a-s-s, but as an early '90s Chronicle editorial staffer I will allow and accept responsibility for its use here.

CrazyNotCrazie
03-30-2010, 10:41 AM
I was in Cameron for the 1994 Final Four - the games were in Charlotte so it was very tough to get tickets that year as there was almost no cost to attend. It was an incredible experience being in Cameron when we won on Saturday night, and Monday night I was really glad I didn't have to drive back after the loss. I had a grad student teaching my early morning Tuesday class and I clearly remembering him cancelling it ahead of time.

One important consideration is your seat location, if you know that ahead of time. If you will be in the lower deck, I would be more inclined to go than sitting in the nose bleeds. Yes, it is still cool to be there even if you can't see, but not nearly as cool as if you will be close to the floor.

TampaDukie
03-30-2010, 10:52 AM
I agree with the sentiment that you can't go wrong either way. That said, watching the games in Cameron as a freshman in '94 was one of my favorite experiences at Duke, and even after we lost in the championship game, we still had a subdued party on the quad. Being with all my fellow students definitely helped ease the pain of Arkansas' come back and our eventual loss.

On the other hand, I still have nightmares about attending the FF at the Trop in '99, although I chalk that up to: (1) the fact that I still can't believe that squad didn't win the NC, (2) our seats were about 3 rows from the top of the dome, and (3) we were right next to the UConn student section and had to hear that damn U-C-O-N-N cheer all night long. As much as I love this year's team and desperately want them to win, getting to the FF already feels like such a huge achievement, considering preseason expectations. Therefore, a loss will be disappointing, but not devastating the way it felt in '99. Also, it sounds like you will have much better seats than I did in St. Pete. Best of all, there probably won't be a UConn fan in sight. So you're bound to have a better FF experience than I did, if you go.

Hope you have fun either way, and Go Devils!

BTW, I'm really enjoying reading everyone's experiences watching the FF games, either in person or on campus. It's just a reminder of how great and successful this program has been. Here's to more success this weekend.

UrinalCake
03-30-2010, 10:54 AM
I wouldn't let the fear of a loss make the decision.

I agree with this. I was on campus for the 99 loss and thought that it would have been really tough to be at the game and then have to travel home... but this year is a little different. In 99 we were heavy favorites and not winning it all was devastating. This year, at least speaking for myself, I think if we lose either game I'd be disappointed but still able to celebrate the accomplishments of the season. And none of our opponents are teams that I really hate. If we lose the first game you could probably sell your tickets to the final to take a little bit of the sting out.

That said, let's just not lose 8-)

flyingdevil
03-30-2010, 12:40 PM
I finally decided to join after lurking for a while. As a senior, I've been thinking about this question for a while. However, I pretty easily decided to get my tickets for Indy. While I would love to be on campus, I really don't think it's the same atmosphere as the past. Reading some of your comments makes me want to be on campus, but I really think the student body's interest in basketball isn't what it used to be. To be honest, I was really disappointed with the celebration after Duke beat UNC this year. After experiencing the last four years, I was ready to go crazy, but many younger classmen didn't seem as excited as us seniors. I also felt like there wasn't that much buzz after we beat Baylor. Considering most of my friends (seniors) are going to Indy as well, I can't imagine staying on campus this year win or lose.

Go Duke!!!

arydolphin
03-30-2010, 12:52 PM
I was a senior in 2001, and my parents had actually won 2 tickets in the NCAA lottery so they knew that they were going to the Final Four well before Duke made it in. My mother offered me her ticket in Minneapolis, but I decided to stay on campus because it was my senior year and I wanted to be around my friends at that time. The atmosphere at Cameron was amazing, and it was also a really great night on the quad afterwards.

You really can't go wrong with either experience. Truth be told, I knew that my parents' seats were in the nosebleeds at the Metrodome, which made the decision easier to stay on campus. The student seats this year will be on the baseline at floor level, and all of the students will be together, which could create a mini-Cameron atmosphere. I'd say that if you know a bunch of people already going to Indy, then do that, but if your best friends are staying on campus, I'd want to be with them. None of my best friends went to Minneapolis in 2001, it made it easier for me to stay on campus.

Random sidenote: Dahntay Jones was sitting out the 2001 season as a transfer, so NCAA rules at the time stating that he couldn't go on the team plane, so he had to find his own route to Minneapolis; my parents ended up on the same flight as him, and he couldn't have been nicer to them talking about the team.

bluedevilallie
03-30-2010, 01:16 PM
Hey fellow DBR's--I am an alum and may not go to Indy this weekend (having trouble working things out with work and logistics....).....but I was wondering if you weren't a student could you get on campus to watch the game in Cameron/the quad on Saturday night or monday night? I was on campus (though not a student in 2001) but I wasn't sure i was supposed to be there.....:)

DukeUsul
03-30-2010, 01:59 PM
I agree with this. I was on campus for the 99 loss and thought that it would have been really tough to be at the game and then have to travel home... but this year is a little different. In 99 we were heavy favorites and not winning it all was devastating. This year, at least speaking for myself, I think if we lose either game I'd be disappointed but still able to celebrate the accomplishments of the season. And none of our opponents are teams that I really hate. If we lose the first game you could probably sell your tickets to the final to take a little bit of the sting out.

That said, let's just not lose 8-)

What you said. I was 20 yds from the floor with the band for the 99 games. Being that close was an experience I'll never forget. Nor is the look in Khalid El-Amin's beady little eyes as he ran around the court popping his jersey.

And yes. What a long night back at the hotel and an even longer flight home the next day. We spent the whole night sullenly drinking from our bottles of "celebratory" champagne. Didn't sleep a wink. Then had to be up at 6 and on the plane while still pissed (in more ways than one). What an awful flight. Luckily we were in the back near the restroom.....

KShip21
03-31-2010, 03:18 PM
Is Cameron open to the public for these games? Is it Saturday and Monday games? Any info is appreciated!

anon
03-31-2010, 03:35 PM
Is Cameron open to the public for these games? Is it Saturday and Monday games? Any info is appreciated!

Students only.

HRAR
03-31-2010, 05:05 PM
Here's the e-mail that Duke students received from Duke about Cameron's availability for this weekend's games:

Dear Students,

What better way to celebrate a beautiful spring weekend than to cheer on the Duke Men's Basketball team to another national championship? To those of you planning to attend the game in person in Indianapolis, I wish you safe travels and loud voices! For the rest of you who will root from here, I invite you to watch the games from Cameron Indoor Stadium where we can cheer and celebrate together. The Saturday night game is scheduled to begin around 8:45 pm, so Cameron will open at 7:30 pm for students only! To repeat, access to Cameron Indoor Stadium for Saturday's game will be limited to Duke students, including undergraduate, graduate and professional students (and partners with valid spouse/partner IDs).

Access to Cameron will only be from the North entries (the K-Ville side) and access to the student bleacher sections will require a hand stamp that will be provided inside the North entry. Students can also head upstairs to the seats and sit anywhere in those sections. The center scoreboard will be lowered and the four-sided screens will provide viewing in all directions.

Other things to know:

DO NOT BRING ANY BAGS OR BACKPACKS
DO NOT BRING ANY FOOD OR BEVERAGES (Concessions will be available)
BE SURE TO CARRY YOUR IDS (carry them all day...we expect loads of visitors to the campus and you may get asked for identification)

Students hosting Blue Devil Day students can bring their newly admitted Blue Devil to the game. Details about this will be communicated from Admissions.

Students who live on campus, please be aware that all residential buildings will be on resident only access from 7pm Saturday-Tuesday at 9am. As always, be alert to any unusual situations or behaviors and call Duke Police if needed: Emergency: 911 • Non-Emergency: (919) 684-2444

I look forward to seeing you at the game and to celebrating another great win. I'll send more information about the national championship game and celebration events on Sunday.

GO DUKE!

Larry Moneta
Vice President for Student Affairs

juise
03-31-2010, 05:16 PM
Larry Moneta
Vice President for Student Affairs

Oh, Larry. I miss the days of Dr. Moneta in Blazing Seanuggets. Nothing brightened up a 9:10 class quite like it.