PDA

View Full Version : McDonald's AA game/Irving

Mr Blue Devil
03-29-2010, 10:07 AM
My brother is in Ohio as he is each yeah working with the McD's All Americans. He works the players out, runs drills and you'll most likely see him manning the ball racks for tonight's 3 pt shootout. He is also helping in the skills challenge which Kyrie is in. This is all on ESPN2 at 7:30 tonight.

Anyway he got to spend a lot of time with Kyrie and said he is the best PG in the nation for sure. He said Harrison is good, just different from KI. He also accidentally hit HB in the head with a ball :)

Anyway, he got to spend some time with Jay Williams too who is gonna play some pick up ball with them tomorrow.

Larry Bird is also there!

stillcrazie
03-29-2010, 10:10 AM
My brother is in Ohio as he is each yeah working with the McD's All Americans. He works the players out, runs drills and you'll most likely see him manning the ball racks for tonight's 3 pt shootout. He is also helping in the skills challenge which Kyrie is in. This is all on ESPN2 at 7:30 tonight.

Anyway he got to spend a lot of time with Kyrie and said he is the best PG in the nation for sure. He said Harrison is good, just different from KI. He also accidentally hit HB in the head with a ball :)

Anyway, he got to spend some time with Jay Williams too who is gonna play some pick up ball with them tomorrow.

Larry Bird is also there!

Thanks; great to hear. Hope you can keep the good news coming!

Daniel tosh
03-29-2010, 11:15 AM
Speaking of the 3 point shoot-out,does anyone know who is participating?

Daniel tosh
03-29-2010, 01:48 PM
Anyone know where I can watch the events tonight?

Welcome2DaSlopes
03-29-2010, 01:52 PM
EspnU at 9.pm

cbnaylor
03-29-2010, 02:03 PM
If you prefer to watch it live, it will be on ESPN 2 @ 7:30-9:00pm

whereinthehellami
03-29-2010, 02:46 PM
Ballislife (http://www.ballislife.com/profiles/blogs/day-1-of-mcdonalds-allamerican?xg_source=activity) has a blog entry for the first day of practice. Their assessment of Kyrie is ...

"The East squad looked really strong. Kyrie Irving was the best player on the court. His speed and ball handling ability in addition to his scoring ability made him unstoppable. I don't think he missed more than a hand full of shots and dished out some nice passes on top of that."

Tappan Zee Devil
03-29-2010, 04:04 PM
Anyone know where I can watch the events tonight?

The Duke women are playing a rather important game tonight.

JohnGalt
03-29-2010, 04:29 PM
Ballislife (http://www.ballislife.com/profiles/blogs/day-1-of-mcdonalds-allamerican?xg_source=activity) has a blog entry for the first day of practice. Their assessment of Kyrie is ...

"The East squad looked really strong. Kyrie Irving was the best player on the court. His speed and ball handling ability in addition to his scoring ability made him unstoppable. I don't think he missed more than a hand full of shots and dished out some nice passes on top of that."

Be careful with these. Go back and read what they said about Paulus and McRoberts. I'm pretty sure Kyrie is in a different boat, but if you read, the "experts" spoke gushingly of Paulus and McRoberts...

Welcome2DaSlopes
03-29-2010, 07:39 PM
Chealse Grey wins first compition, the skills compition. lets go duke.

bluedevil2012
03-29-2010, 07:45 PM
Anyone know why Kyrie isn't participating in the 3-pt contest?

http://www.mcdonaldsallamerican.com/2010_POWERADE_Jam_Fest_Participants.pdf

Welcome2DaSlopes
03-29-2010, 07:51 PM
He participated in the skills compition, idk if you can do more than one.

bluedevil2012
03-29-2010, 07:54 PM
He participated in the skills compition, idk if you can do more than one.

Harrison Barnes, Doron Lamb, and Cory Joseph are in both.

Welcome2DaSlopes
03-29-2010, 07:56 PM
I hate that they don't show us everything, not to be picky

AlaskanAssassin
03-29-2010, 07:58 PM
Kyrie was last in the skills challenge, lol.

Welcome2DaSlopes
03-29-2010, 08:01 PM
He must have given up after a bad pass or two.

GMR
03-29-2010, 08:06 PM
Does anyone know what the date, time and station the McDonald's games are going to be shown?

GMR

Welcome2DaSlopes
03-29-2010, 08:07 PM
The game is on Thursday on espn.

AlaskanAssassin
03-29-2010, 08:09 PM
The game is on Thursday on espn.

Wednesday 8pm

nic7095
03-29-2010, 10:35 PM
Barnes and Bullock both looked good in the 3 point shootout losing in the finals. Hopefully Irving can take over the actual game though.

DevilHorns
03-29-2010, 11:03 PM
Ryan Kelly won the 3 point contest last year I think. And Mason won the dunk contest.... I think.

Welcome2DaSlopes
03-29-2010, 11:04 PM
Ryan Kelly won the 3 point contest last year I think. And Mason won the dunk contest.... I think.

No but Mason should have, imo he was cheated out of it, and that's not with my duke bias, he was flat out the better dunker.

juise
03-29-2010, 11:12 PM

Avery Bradley ended up winning. Mason and Favors were also in the finals. Ryan Kelly edged Tommy Mason Griffin in the 3-point finals.

whereinthehellami
03-30-2010, 09:28 AM
And Drew won the 3 point contest the year before Kelly IIRC.

whereinthehellami
03-30-2010, 09:31 AM
Be careful with these. Go back and read what they said about Paulus and McRoberts. I'm pretty sure Kyrie is in a different boat, but if you read, the "experts" spoke gushingly of Paulus and McRoberts...

As they should have as they were really good. I would have liked to see Paulus develop without all of the injuries that he had while at Duke. And McRoberts was a third team All-ACC (?) player so I think that worked out okay.

DukieTiger
03-30-2010, 11:55 AM
^It gets overlooked, given the expectations heaped upon Greg, but Paulus was All ACC as well- 2nd team in his Jr. year I believe. And we all remember how great GP looked when he had plenty of people to throw passes to... so it's no surprise that he would look good when throwing passes to McRob, Louis Williams, etc...

Mr Blue Devil
03-30-2010, 12:08 PM
If you all watched the 3 pt shootouts last night, that was my brother who ran from rack to rack to help move up the next ball :)

He got to speak with Evan Turner last night and met Larry Bird today.

They have the annual staff game later today and my brother will match up against Jay Williams. I asked if he could take video and he said he would never let that video see the light of day!

JohnGalt
03-30-2010, 12:22 PM
^It gets overlooked, given the expectations heaped upon Greg, but Paulus was All ACC as well- 2nd team in his Jr. year I believe. And we all remember how great GP looked when he had plenty of people to throw passes to... so it's no surprise that he would look good when throwing passes to McRob, Louis Williams, etc...

You all misunderstood what I was saying. Paulus and McRoberts made large contributions during their time at Duke. I agree with that. I wouldn't label either of them a bust. However, the McDonald's game breakdown for both of them concluded they would both have solid to very successful NBA careers. I think we can agree in that regard they were a little off, although McRoberts has had a few good showings of late.

COYS
03-30-2010, 12:53 PM
You all misunderstood what I was saying. Paulus and McRoberts made large contributions during their time at Duke. I agree with that. I wouldn't label either of them a bust. However, the McDonald's game breakdown for both of them concluded they would both have solid to very successful NBA careers. I think we can agree in that regard they were a little off, although McRoberts has had a few good showings of late.

With regard to McRoberts, if reports about his own practice habits are true, those breakdowns may have been accurate if he had put in the time to further develop his game, and if he had avoided the back injury which sapped some of his explosiveness. Paulus may have had borderline quickness for the NBA to start, but his injuries certainly didn't help and may have pushed him under the line, as well, so to speak.

There are no guarantees for Kyrie, but he certainly seems to possess the physical tools to succeed in the NBA as long as he remains healthy AND continues to work hard at his game. I think the McD AA breakdown of Kyrie is certainly accurate in saying that he has lottery potential.

CDu
03-30-2010, 12:56 PM

I agree that quality of pass receivers was part of the problem for Paulus. But another part of the reason why Paulus looked so good in high school and the all star game is because the quality of the defense in high school and the all star game is much much lower. At Duke, defenders eventually learned to apply heavy pressure to Paulus, and he never really proved able to be a playmaker against pressure defense. He tended to have to turn his back to the defender to protect his dribble, which stripped him of his ability to attack and make great plays. That's a big part of why we changed our offense in his junior year so that he wasn't the primary ballhandler (instead we went to the weave offense).

flyingdutchdevil
03-30-2010, 01:01 PM
I agree that quality of pass receivers was part of the problem for Paulus. But another part of the reason why Paulus looked so good in high school and the all star game is because the quality of the defense in high school and the all star game is much much lower. At Duke, defenders eventually learned to apply heavy pressure to Paulus, and he never really proved able to be a playmaker against pressure defense. He tended to have to turn his back to the defender to protect his dribble, which stripped him of his ability to attack and make great plays. That's a big part of why we changed our offense in his junior year so that he wasn't the primary ballhandler (instead we went to the weave offense).

Great analysis. Completely agree.

CLT Devil
03-30-2010, 01:11 PM
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5ow5CV8fVak

Check the 0:44 mark...hopefully we see a lot of this in the future; Kyrie crossing up Kendall Marshall.

It's always a fun game to watch, and usually the Dukies don't do too well aside from JJ. I remember D. Ewing in particular looking very pedestrian...a lot is due to the highlight reel nature of the event. Still going to annoint Kyrie if he kills it though;)

SilkyJ
03-30-2010, 02:00 PM
Crap, I thought all this stuff was tonight and missed it.

Anyone know where you can catch a replay? Online or TV?

roywhite
03-30-2010, 02:05 PM

The game itself is on tomorrow night 3/31 at 8:00 PM Eastern on ESPN.

The slamjam stuff is always replayed, usually several times; check the ESPN2 listings. I watched last night, and there was not a lot to it. Most impressive thing IMO was watching Cory Joseph shoot 3's. Didn't see much of Kyrie, who apparently went out early in the "Skills" competition.

COYS
03-30-2010, 02:29 PM
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5ow5CV8fVak

Check the 0:44 mark...hopefully we see a lot of this in the future; Kyrie crossing up Kendall Marshall.

It's always a fun game to watch, and usually the Dukies don't do too well aside from JJ. I remember D. Ewing in particular looking very pedestrian...a lot is due to the highlight reel nature of the event. Still going to annoint Kyrie if he kills it though;)

And that's going to his left =). Definitely loved seeing that, though.

CDu
03-30-2010, 02:40 PM

You didn't miss much if you were looking to get a glimpse of Irving in action. The only air time Irving got was giving bro hugs to players after they finished their events.

Irving lost in the preliminary rounds of the skills competition, and they only aired the finals. He didn't compete in the 3pt contest or the dunk contest.

SilkyJ
03-30-2010, 02:44 PM
You didn't miss much if you were looking to get a glimpse of Irving in action. The only air time Irving got was giving bro hugs to players after they finished their events.

Irving lost in the preliminary rounds of the skills competition, and they only aired the finals. He didn't compete in the 3pt contest or the dunk contest.

Yea I picked up on that from the other posts. Guess I'll have to watch him tmrw night.

I should have been clearer though, I was really just interested in watching the dunk contest...meaningless, I know, but fun to watch so wanted to check it out. I'm sure I'll find some highlights or a re-air at some point.

whereinthehellami
03-30-2010, 03:17 PM
I dind't see anyone with sick hops that have rattled the rims like in past contests.

studdlee10
03-30-2010, 03:23 PM
I dind't see anyone with sick hops that have rattled the rims like in past contests.

I don't know...I thought Perry Jones was pretty darn impressive for a kid that is 6'10. Those guys never win it, but his agility and athleticism for a guy his size is just breathtaking.

NSDukeFan
03-30-2010, 03:38 PM
I don't know...I thought Perry Jones was pretty darn impressive for a kid that is 6'10. Those guys never win it, but his agility and athleticism for a guy his size is just breathtaking.

And just picture him added to an already athletic Baylor team. Could be scary.

DeBlueDevil
03-30-2010, 05:18 PM
I think that Josh Selby is going to be a player too....I hope he ends up at Kansas tho...think he'll fit a little better than if he goes to Kentucky.

Also, all i can say is WOW!!! you didn't say he made Kendall Marshall fall!!!! From what i've seen and read on both KI and KM...i don't think Marshall can even come close to matching up with Kyrie. From what I've read Marshall has usually gotten the bad end of a matchup with Ty Thornton as well. Hope ol' Roy is doing his homework..

Haha that bad part is...I found myself routing against Marshall and Barnes in the skills competition and against Barnes and Bullock in the three point. These kids haven't even put on a unc jersey yet haha! The unc recruits weren't very impressive last night either

Greg_Newton
03-30-2010, 05:27 PM
I was really impressed at how athletic Ray McCallum was. He's reminded me of Duhon in how much of a solid, pure PG distributor he seems to be, but I hadn't realized that he elevates better than any PG prospect besides possibly Selby.

I also think that Brandon Knight may end up being quite overrated. He strikes me as a high-volume jump shooter who isn't particularly impressive at anything else. Reminds me of an Iverson with better size and a slower first step, or a better-shooting, slightly less explosive Boynton.

I may change my tune tomorrow night, but right now I'd take McCallum over Knight any day of the week. The PG matchups should be quite interesting tomorrow...

arydolphin
03-30-2010, 06:03 PM
I don't want to get too excited about Kyrie, but Jay Williams was just asked the question "Does Irving remind you of yourself?". Here was his response on Twitter: "A lot more controlled and can run a team better than I could at that age. SPECIAL"

http://twitter.com/RealJayWilliams/status/11330063929

wacobluedevil
03-30-2010, 06:24 PM
Reggie Rankin at ESPN.com has a piece up about various McDonalds' players, and Irving receives high praise.

"Irving is smooth and knows how to play the position. He makes difficult plays looks easy with his court awareness. Duke needs a point guard who can set up people, create for himself and play hard-nosed defense. Irving does all of those things."

http://sports.espn.go.com/ncaa/recruiting/basketball/mens/news/story?id=5040936

AlaskanAssassin
03-30-2010, 06:36 PM
While we're linking, here is a nice write up on Kyrie (and his comparison to JayWill): http://www.slamonline.com/online/college-hs/high-school/2010/03/a-thoroughly-unique-event-the-cyp-tournament/

arydolphin
03-30-2010, 07:10 PM
More J-Will on Twitter about Kyrie: "For all #Duke fans: the best comparison I can give Kryie Irving is that he is a perfect mix between myself and Chris Duhon."

http://twitter.com/RealJayWilliams/status/11333024341

JaMarcus Russell
03-30-2010, 07:17 PM
In case anyone is interested, here is a little clip of Kyrie along with Kendall Marshall, Harrison Barnes, and Reggie Bullock from Draft Express.

Reggie kind of puts his foot in his mouth halfway through the clip, and even Barnes decides to cut him off :D

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=arv-P1UyCyQ

licc85
03-30-2010, 07:24 PM
J will + Duhon???? That's a little unrealistic, since he's probably smaller than either of them. He will never have the kind of upper body strength and raw athleticism that jason had, but he's probably just as good of a shooter as jay, if not better, and i would say he's ahead of duhon as far as ball skills and court vision, and he's probably quicker than either of them. Duhon never really shined as a pure point guard until his senior year. No, I wouldn't compare him to either of those guys, kyrie is just kyrie, he's a unique and special player who will be a great floor leader right away next year. I can't wait.

BlueintheFace
03-30-2010, 07:27 PM
In case anyone is interested, here is a little clip of Kyrie along with Kendall Marshall, Harrison Barnes, and Reggie Bullock from Draft Express.

Reggie kind of puts his foot in his mouth halfway through the clip, and even Barnes decides to cut him off :D

Hahahaha
Reggie said Andre couldn't guard him and Kyrie couldn't guard Marshall.

Then Reggie started to say that Kyle Singler couldn't guard him or somebody else on UNC and the two other tarheels grabbed the mic from him before he could finish his sentence.

Very wise...

licc85
03-30-2010, 07:32 PM
Hahahaha
Reggie said Andre couldn't guard him and Kyrie couldn't guard Marshall.

Then Reggie started to say that Kyle Singler couldn't guard him or somebody else on UNC and the two other tarheels grabbed the mic from him before he could finish his sentence.

Very wise...

can't wait for this guy to play his first game at cameron, I think he's in waaaaay over his head.

roywhite
03-30-2010, 07:34 PM

Ha...pretty funny. Young guys goofin' around, but I won't have any problem rooting for Kyrie, and uh....not rooting for Marshall, HB, and Bullock.

Kdogg
03-30-2010, 07:37 PM

Barnes must not know much about UNC because Roy's in his seventh season.

chrisheery
03-30-2010, 07:54 PM
He also might know something about talking through his nose. He sounds like the nerds on saved by the bell.

billyj
03-30-2010, 08:37 PM
Harrison Barnes is hilarious, they definitely cornered Kyrie Irving there.

Dukeknights
03-30-2010, 08:40 PM
Harrison Barnes is hilarious, they definitely cornered Kyrie Irving there.

But Irving stood his ground, honestly I thought Irving owned them all in the interview(jokes wise). Irving and Barnes were much more outgoing and well spoken. Kendall Marshall seemed like a nice young man and very humble. As for Bullock, can't say I liked him too much.

airowe
03-30-2010, 08:48 PM
J will + Duhon???? That's a little unrealistic, since he's probably smaller than either of them. He will never have the kind of upper body strength and raw athleticism that jason had

He's actually taller than J-Will. 6'3" or 6'4" This kid is gonna be special.

Remember what J-Will said about Nolan before the season?

airowe
03-30-2010, 08:55 PM
Kyrie Irving Takes Over Media Day @ McDonald's.

Part 1 (http://theshiver.com/2010/03/kyrie-irving-takes-over-media-day/)

Part 2 (http://theshiver.com/2010/03/kyrie-irving-takes-over-media-day-part-2/)

dukelifer
03-30-2010, 08:57 PM
But Irving stood his ground, honestly I thought Irving owned them all in the interview(jokes wise). Irving and Barnes were much more outgoing and well spoken. Kendall Marshall seemed like a nice young man and very humble. As for Bullock, can't say I liked him too much.
All four guys were having a good time and I imagine they will continue to hang out together while at school. On the court- they will bring it. Should be fun.

Daniel tosh
03-30-2010, 09:19 PM
Bullocks laugh is really annoying.

CDu
03-30-2010, 09:19 PM
He's actually taller than J-Will. 6'3" or 6'4" This kid is gonna be special.

Remember what J-Will said about Nolan before the season?

Again, this depends upon whom you ask. Scout and ESPN have him at 6'1".

But I think what the previous poster was referring to was mass. Williams and Duhon were around 190, whereas Irving is around 170. Of course, he'll put on some weight/strength when he gets to Duke.

dukelifer
03-30-2010, 09:21 PM

Well he may be taller- but JWill was not that tall either.

airowe
03-30-2010, 09:28 PM

But I think what the previous poster was referring to was mass. Williams and Duhon were around 190, whereas Irving is around 170. Of course, he'll put on some weight/strength when he gets to Duke.

"He's pushing 6'3"" -- Evan Daniels. This evening.

Those scout and espn articles are not updated very often.

I do agree on the mass thing, although Kyrie hasn't started training at Duke yet...

dukelifer
03-30-2010, 09:29 PM
Bullocks laugh is really annoying.

Of all the players coming in, Bullock is likely to be the best of the bunch. His game is much better suited to college and he will be a difficult cover-because he has real range. Here is hoping Felix can learn to play D very fast.

AlaskanAssassin
03-30-2010, 09:36 PM
Feel bad for Kyrie in that video, wished he had another dukie with him.

Daniel tosh
03-30-2010, 09:39 PM

Should have been Barnes but oh well....

Welcome2DaSlopes
03-30-2010, 09:39 PM

Josh should have been there, but he got snubbed

DevilHorns
03-30-2010, 09:49 PM
Should have been Barnes but oh well....

Forget that. We don't need him. And you know what, we don't want him. He's the most full of himself high school player since Brandon Jennings.

licc85
03-30-2010, 09:53 PM

wow reggie bullock has a really annoying laugh, and he doesn't sound too intelligent . . he reminds of ed from the lion king:
http://www.vectorjunky.com/gallery/t/The-Lion-King-ED003.jpg

Daniel tosh
03-30-2010, 09:54 PM
Forget that. We don't need him. And you know what, we don't want him. He's the most full of himself high school player since Brandon Jennings.

You're right about us not needing him.As for Bullock I know he was just joking around(atleast I think he was)he really needs a reality check.

DevilHorns
03-30-2010, 09:55 PM
You're right about us not needing him.As for Bullock I know he was just joking around(atleast I think he was)he really needs a reality check.

Yea they were all just goofing around. I like how Kyrie was using "we."

UrinalCake
03-31-2010, 10:32 AM
Enjoyed seeing these guys being kids and joking around together. The familiarity that the players have with each other starting in high school is part of what makes the rivalry so great. And is it just me or does Kendal Marshall look a lot like Jeff Capel?

NashvilleDevil
03-31-2010, 10:53 AM
Kyrie is freakin' hilarious. Cannot wait to see that swag on the court next year.

JohnGalt
03-31-2010, 11:49 AM
Of all the players coming in, Bullock is likely to be the best of the bunch. His game is much better suited to college and he will be a difficult cover-because he has real range. Here is hoping Felix can learn to play D very fast.

Now I was under the impression that Bullock has been underperforming throughout the latter half of his high school career, that he's been slowly sliding down the rankings. Is that not true? I've heard the same for Marshall so maybe where I've read things they've just gotten the names backwards or something, but I'd love to be clued in on where you hear that Bullock's game is the most advanced.

Cisco
03-31-2010, 01:36 PM

You DO realize how good Brandon Jennings is, Right? lls. Averaging about 16 and 6 in his rookie NBA season.

airowe
03-31-2010, 01:50 PM
Now I was under the impression that Bullock has been underperforming throughout the latter half of his high school career, that he's been slowly sliding down the rankings. Is that not true? I've heard the same for Marshall so maybe where I've read things they've just gotten the names backwards or something, but I'd love to be clued in on where you hear that Bullock's game is the most advanced.

While I think Bullock could create some serious matchup problems on the outside (think Graves with more athleticism) when looking at his high school stats, you must remember that his school, Kinston High, dropped down to 2A competition this year. I'm guessing they didn't have too many 6'6" SG/SF in Eastern NC 2A Level Basketball this year...

ChicagoCrazy84
03-31-2010, 02:06 PM
You DO realize how good Brandon Jennings is, Right? lls. Averaging about 16 and 6 in his rookie NBA season.

Doesn't give you the right to be so self-indulgent... Wait, maybe it does.

What I would give to see Carrick Felix posterize HB next year in Cameron! :D

JasonEvans
03-31-2010, 03:12 PM

Dawkins should have been there, for sure.

-Jason

TheBrianZoubekExperience
03-31-2010, 04:03 PM
Loved the video. I have to admit I really like Barnes. Pretty funny though that he was making a rather weak argument about Coach K having 3 titles and Roy having 2 in five years. Thought Kyrie should have replied with something like "well I know you are heading to UNC so you're not familiar with math but as a Duke player I'm pretty sure 3 is more than 2" or something like that. Barnes seems to have a pretty dominant personlaity pushing Irving away from grabbing the mic, etc.

I thought the most interesting part was towards the end where Barnes goes "we can compare pro success if you really want" kind of mocking a duke/unc comparison. Really hoping we can change that perception over the next few years.

Class of '94
03-31-2010, 04:20 PM
Loved the video. I have to admit I really like Barnes. Pretty funny though that he was making a rather weak argument about Coach K having 3 titles and Roy having 2 in five years. Thought Kyrie should have replied with something like "well I know you are heading to UNC so you're not familiar with math but as a Duke player I'm pretty sure 3 is more than 2" or something like that. Barnes seems to have a pretty dominant personlaity pushing Irving away from grabbing the mic, etc.

I thought the most interesting part was towards the end where Barnes goes "we can compare pro success if you really want" kind of mocking a duke/unc comparison. Really hoping we can change that perception over the next few years.

Barnes can bring up the recent past to talk about Roy and try to negate Coack K's accomplishments; but then try to allude to Carolina's historic trend of NBA players when talking about pros. I don't think the perception will ever go away; but that's all it is. The fact is that Carolina hasn't produced a dominant hall of fame player since Worthy and Jordan from the early 1980's; and since the early 90's, Duke has produced more NBA players (and more successful, I might add) than UNC. Nuff said....Carolina has been living off Jordan's success for years; and Barnes' arguments sound like a recycling of what Ol Roy probably told him during his recruitment.

NashvilleDevil
03-31-2010, 04:29 PM

I thought it was funny but I don't think Barnes has that dominant a personality. I think he was trying to hard to be funny and it fell flat. I think all 4 are good kids but Kyrie just seems to have that magnetic personality where people just like the guy. Check the Kyrie Irving Cam on another thread to see this.

AlaskanAssassin
03-31-2010, 05:14 PM
Harrison comes off as a jerk to me. ughh

jwillrockyou
03-31-2010, 05:27 PM
i thought they all seemed nice. they were clearly joking around. i thought harrison didn't give kyrie the mic because kyrie has such an outgoing personality that none of them would get any words in if kyrie got the mic. ;)
also, i thought reggie bullock was really funny. he was obviously kidding 'cause there's no way he actually thinks singler is bad. that would make him just plain stupid.
overall though, kyrie seems like he is going to be an awesome addition to the program: fun, friendly personality not to mention his killer skills. these videos made me a little less sad to be losing zoubs, lt, and jon

SeattleIrish
03-31-2010, 05:30 PM
They all seemed like good kids - not taking themselves too seriously and jabbing each other without taking it/making it personal.

All four seem like guys who could represent both schools well.

s.i.

p.s. - I did like how they were trying to retract some of the comments (Bullock?) made about Duke's wings. I noticed he didn't say anything about beating Seth or Nolan out on the wing!

baby-face dawkins
03-31-2010, 06:41 PM
I know they're all just having fun but to me Harrison comes off as a little annoying. Just my opinion, maybe I'm just bitter still

northernduke
03-31-2010, 07:11 PM
They all seemed like good kids - not taking themselves too seriously and jabbing each other without taking it/making it personal.

I actually sensed it got a little personal at the end. Look at Kyrie's facial expression. He did not look nearly as jovial as he did at the commencement of the video. I don't think Bullock's jabs were too big of barbs, but I think it was HB not letting him speak that got under his skin. Just my perception - and I only think it enhances the rivalry!

roywhite
03-31-2010, 07:29 PM
I know they're all just having fun but to me Harrison comes off as a little annoying. Just my opinion, maybe I'm just bitter still

Carlton from the Fresh Prince of Bel Air.

Welcome2DaSlopes
03-31-2010, 07:31 PM
Carlton from the Fresh Prince of Bel Air.

The earlier seasons of course, later on he was actually a pretty cool guy.

moonpie23
03-31-2010, 07:37 PM
cj leslie is having a difficult time dunking..

Welcome2DaSlopes
03-31-2010, 07:43 PM
Still a beast

billyj
03-31-2010, 08:00 PM
Is it me or is the slam dunk contest a little bit short of expectations?

Welcome2DaSlopes
03-31-2010, 08:01 PM
Is it me or is the slam dunk contest a little bit short of expectations?

it's not you,

DevilHorns
03-31-2010, 08:03 PM
Haha announcer just said Roy Williams is blessed to be able to play in the NIT tourney tonight.... Im sure he was trying to set up how he's blessed to have Hawashaun Bawhns coming next year... haha

DevilHorns
03-31-2010, 08:09 PM
I think Barnes has missed 6 shots so far.

BD80
03-31-2010, 08:11 PM
I found Harrison to be well-spoken and engaging. A couple thoughts came to mind:

Kyrie seemed genuine when he said Harrison was supposed to come to Duke, and Harrison seemed almost embarrased at that point.

Harrison's rhetoric about 2 NCs in five years and suggesting that Coach K's NCs were "old" just might have been a regurgitation of ol' roy's recruiting mantra.

It seems like Harrison wants to be the group leader, or at least the center of attention. It isn't that he wouldn't parcel attention out to others, it just seems like he wants to be in control. I am not sure that he would be satisfied with the attention that Kyrie garners. I wonder if that was a factor in his decision, or if it was an element that ol' roy used in his recruiting pitch. Further, it will be interesting to see how his "leadership" will go over with the leftover tarheels. To me he was like one of those annoying soccer parents who wants to control everything. Just my take.

Welcome2DaSlopes
03-31-2010, 08:11 PM
Kyrie is NASTY

BigZ
03-31-2010, 08:13 PM
Irving is dominating this game. He has 3 baskets and is making every play for the east.

dukeballer2294
03-31-2010, 08:18 PM
did any1 see marshall have a wide open layup, stop, then almost get blocked, i mean not all 6'0 guys can dunk but he cant make a layup either?

BD80
03-31-2010, 08:19 PM
did any1 see marshall have a wide open layup, stop, then almost get blocked, i mean not all 6'0 guys can dunk but he cant make a layup either?

Kendall is SSSLLLOOOOOWWWWWWWWW!

DukieTiger
03-31-2010, 08:20 PM
Irving is dominating this game. He has 3 baskets and is making every play for the east.

He's picking guys' pockets, setting guys up (they aren't finishing just yet) pushing the tempo and basically just all over the court. He's gonna be a lot of fun to watch. He's going to turn into a beautiful basketball player. Not the most "athletic" PG in this game, but you can tell he just gets "it."

DukieTiger
03-31-2010, 08:21 PM

I thought Marshall was like 6'4?

Welcome2DaSlopes
03-31-2010, 08:22 PM

even worst

FireOgilvie

He is 6'4", yes. Even JJ would have dunked that. Wide open.

dukeballer2294
Kendall is SSSLLLOOOOOWWWWWWWWW!

i just realized "best passer in this class" really means "best talent around him to be able to disguise the point's lack of skill"

moonpie23
03-31-2010, 08:24 PM
dang...had to go play in the sandpile and i thought i'd paused the game...

what did kyrie do? Tell tell tell

nic7095
03-31-2010, 08:27 PM
Had a nice layup, hit a 3, had a steal, a few assists. Looks real good

Cisco
03-31-2010, 08:29 PM
He was in for the teams first 13 points

he had 7 points and 3 assists.

Do the math, he accounted for all their points

gumbomoop
03-31-2010, 08:32 PM
Having seen KI on ESPN in a high school game a couple months back, and now having seen him for 5 minutes tonight, the only question I have is whether he'll be at Duke more than one year.

It's quite easy to imagine he's the most talented PG ever out of Jersey, not to mention a bunch of other states. The Devils will surely be a running team next season, and lots of guys are going to receive passes-for-layups from KI, probably including the MPs, who are going to get a chance to run on the break, along with NS [I hope], SK, CF, and DD.

KI is super, scintillating, and spectacular all by his lonesome.

FireOgilvie
03-31-2010, 08:41 PM
Why has Kyrie been sitting on the bench for so long? Terrible.

moonpie23
03-31-2010, 08:42 PM
huh ! :mad:

HWNSNBM IS a tarhole !! ....i am getting that same irritating feeling watching him....

tdrake51
03-31-2010, 08:44 PM
I would like to see more of Kyrie too.. seeing too much Marshall... although it is nice to see him struggle

BD80
03-31-2010, 08:47 PM
... KI is super, scintillating, and spectacular all by his lonesome.

So Kyrie and Kyle will be the "Killer Ks?"

MartyClark
03-31-2010, 08:48 PM
I have watched the last 6 or 7 minutes of the game, only to see Kyrie Irving. This is terrible basketball! It reminds me of the NBA Allstar game for which you could not pay me to attend. I will keep watching, in hopes of seeing Kyrie, but this is really painful.

dukeballer2294
03-31-2010, 08:50 PM
is it required that every tv timeout 10 new players come in or is it just an unwritten rule for the game?

tdrake51
03-31-2010, 08:51 PM
the game looks completely different with Kyrie in the game

MChambers
03-31-2010, 08:51 PM
The Devils will surely be a running team next season, and lots of guys are going to receive passes-for-layups from KI, probably including the MPs, who are going to get a chance to run on the break, along with NS [I hope], SK, CF, and DD.
Who is SK? I get SC, RK, and KS, but is SK some new outrageous Coach K recruit that no one (other than Watzone) knows about?

baby-face dawkins
03-31-2010, 08:52 PM
wow Irving is absolutely filthy right now!

tdrake51
03-31-2010, 08:52 PM
Who is SK? I get SC, RK, and KS, but is SK some new outrageous Coach K recruit that no one (other than Watzone) knows about?

I was thinking the same thing

DukieTiger
03-31-2010, 08:54 PM
Kyrie must already have 5 steals. He's dominating. I want to see him and Knight matchup more in the second half.

MartyClark
03-31-2010, 08:54 PM
Okay, I'm glad I watched. The game is awful but Irving looks good.

tdrake51
03-31-2010, 08:55 PM
Kyrie has a great first half... brought some much needed composure and leadership to the court

vb5678
wow Irving is absolutely filthy right now!

He's just so quick....steal at midcourt, fake the pass then finish, then a great decision on the break with a behind the back pass, a steal off of fab melo and a finish, then break down the D, drive and pass to teammate for finish. That was in the span of like 2 minutes. Kyrie looks siiick!

billyj
Kyrie is a WOW. He will be really really good for Duke.

soccerstud2210
03-31-2010, 08:58 PM
KI stat line ?

Greg_Newton
03-31-2010, 09:01 PM
Wow. Kyrie is even better than I expected. He, Barnes and Sullinger are in a league of their own, and honestly he's been far and away the best player on the court. What is that, 13 and 7 in 7 minutes?

I can see where his on-ball defense could use some work, but I'd be hard pressed to find another weakness in his game. And something tells me that should improve in Durham...

roywhite
03-31-2010, 09:06 PM
Wow. Kyrie is even better than I expected. He, Barnes and Sullinger are in a league of their own, and honestly he's been far and away the best player on the court. What is that, 13 and 7 in 7 minutes?

I can see where his on-ball defense could use some work, but I'd be hard pressed to find another weakness in his game. And something tells me that should improve in Durham...

Kyrie looks really good. Actually, I've been encouraged by some things he's done on defense (if I can use the term in the McD game). He's got really quick hands, good timing on steals, can move his feet really well, and plays "center field" well when the opponents try to make long passes.

And, by the way, he can pass, dribble, and shoot pretty well, too. :)

moonpie23
03-31-2010, 09:07 PM
love the way he moves....

dukeballer2294
03-31-2010, 09:08 PM

i agree with ur first point but i think u may need to add selby to the list. hes just such an athlete and a scorer. pjIII and tobias harris have also impressed me aswell

TheBrianZoubekExperience
03-31-2010, 09:13 PM
Barnes can bring up the recent past to talk about Roy and try to negate Coack K's accomplishments; but then try to allude to Carolina's historic trend of NBA players when talking about pros. I don't think the perception will ever go away; but that's all it is. The fact is that Carolina hasn't produced a dominant hall of fame player since Worthy and Jordan from the early 1980's; and since the early 90's, Duke has produced more NBA players (and more successful, I might add) than UNC. Nuff said....Carolina has been living off Jordan's success for years; and Barnes' arguments sound like a recycling of what Ol Roy probably told him during his recruitment.

Yup. I thought it was somewhat telling that he had been sold on the fact that guys from Duke don't have the same success as guys from UNC. Seems like Roy/UNC sold him on UNC's recent success (not counting the last few months) and UNC's ability to prepare him for the NBA. Whether accurate or not, seems like thats what Barnes thinks now.

gumbomoop
03-31-2010, 09:22 PM

It's my creative, if embarrassing, spelling of Seth Curry. I messed up. KI and SC deserve better, as do all avid readers of my every word. I apologize and promise to use the Duke Player Names Abbreviation SpellCheck System from now on.

Devilsfan
03-31-2010, 09:29 PM
SK is super Kyrie. He'll change for practice in a phonebooth outside Bassett.

phaedrus
03-31-2010, 09:43 PM
Wow, sounds like KI is having the most impressive McDonald's game since Greg Paulus.

moonpie23
03-31-2010, 09:52 PM
are white kids allowed to play? i don't see any....any on the bench???

FireOgilvie
03-31-2010, 09:53 PM

None this year.

billyj
03-31-2010, 10:00 PM
Kyrie didn't do too well in the 2nd half.

DukeBlueNV
03-31-2010, 10:01 PM
incase u didnt get ur fill with only one duke recruit playing tonight... dunno if anyone else noticed but looks like hariston's team will be on on espnu at 2pm and rivers' at 4....

Cisco
03-31-2010, 10:01 PM
Lol @ his half layup half dunk. Ugly. He shouldve just layed it in

FireOgilvie
03-31-2010, 10:04 PM

I think the highest rated white player this year is Nate Lubick... ESPN has him at 48.

roywhite
03-31-2010, 10:05 PM
Lol @ his half layup half dunk. Ugly. He shouldve just layed it in

A little extra mustard on that one, KI...your college coach wouldn't like that too much.

What an exciting player Kyrie can be; glad to see him coming to Duke.

FireOgilvie
03-31-2010, 10:07 PM
The energy/overall level of play dropped by about 80 percent in the last 12 minutes. It was pretty terrible to watch. No one wanted to pass the ball or play defense.

Neals384
03-31-2010, 10:15 PM
I suppose this is not very meaningful in an all-star game, but I had KI's four shifts (each about 4 minutes) at +2, +8, +4 and -9, total +5.

arnie
03-31-2010, 10:17 PM
i just realized "best passer in this class" really means "best talent around him to be able to disguise the point's lack of skill"

Marshall reminds me of a slow Jeff Capel. His "defensive" play on the game winning shot was hysterical as he fell down trying to take a charge against Knight. Marshall might as well transfer now as he simply doesn't fit Roy's constant fast break style.

roywhite
03-31-2010, 10:24 PM
Marshall reminds me of a slow Jeff Capel. His "defensive" play on the game winning shot was hysterical as he fell down trying to take a charge against Knight. Marshall might as well transfer now as he simply doesn't fit Roy's constant fast break style.

From Nolan Smith's twitter

http://twitter.com/ndotsmitty

# Yo @kendalmarshall who flops in a Mcdonalds All-American Game!!?? Lol you my man tho! Congrats on making that joint! 19 minutes ago via Echofon

Boston Dukie
03-31-2010, 10:25 PM
The people who keep saying things like "Paulus was a McD All American and hate a great McD game, so be careful with projecting Irving" are going to be way off on this one.

Iriving is in a completely different league

Barnes was a fool not to pair with him

KI is going to make everyone on Duke much, much better. The plumlees have to be drooling right now

Welcome2DaSlopes
03-31-2010, 10:30 PM
Can we please stop having a conversation and adding Harrison Barnes in it. Seriously, he's not god.

proelitedota
03-31-2010, 10:39 PM
Anywhere that I can catch the replay?:confused:

NVm, I got it.
http://www.justin.tv/assiago/archive

pantone287
03-31-2010, 10:41 PM
They're replaying it throughout the night on ESPNU.

ChicagoCrazy84
03-31-2010, 10:42 PM
So what was KI's final line? Does anyone know? And who ended up winning MVP?

Osiagledknarf
03-31-2010, 10:46 PM
Please someone just took over the TV and I would like to see this game.... The Justin.tv doesn't work.. anyone have anything else?

Welcome2DaSlopes
03-31-2010, 10:47 PM
So what was KI's final line? Does anyone know? And who ended up winning MVP?

Harrison Barnes and Jarred Sullinger CO MVP's

TheBrianZoubekExperience
03-31-2010, 10:49 PM
Looks like there will be more from the UNC guys. The DX guy who posted the previous video just tweeted "We have a UNC-Duke trash-talking session part two. Reggie Bullock went a little overboard. Says Coach K "looks like a rat." And a lot more." http://twitter.com/DraftExpress/status/11401527549

proelitedota
03-31-2010, 10:52 PM
Please someone just took over the TV and I would like to see this game.... The Justin.tv doesn't work.. anyone have anything else?

What browser are you using?

The game start around 5:00 PM, so there is some buffering involved since the last archive is from 4:27 PM to 6:27 PM. They changed the archive clips so that it's hours inside of 5 minutes in length.

Inonehand
03-31-2010, 11:39 PM
Looks like there will be more from the UNC guys. The DX guy who posted the previous video just tweeted "We have a UNC-Duke trash-talking session part two. Reggie Bullock went a little overboard. Says Coach K "looks like a rat." And a lot more." http://twitter.com/DraftExpress/status/11401527549

So, instead of simply making a mistake in the first video, he's proving himself an idiot in the second?

Dukeknights
03-31-2010, 11:43 PM
So, instead of simply making a mistake in the first video, he's proving himself an idiot in the second?

yes, I already don't like Bullock.

Even though Barnes stabbed us in the back, I do like his personality.

I like Marshall and Barnes. Bullock has a high ego and like Marcus Ginyard, says whatever whenever.

BigZ
03-31-2010, 11:46 PM
I don't even remember Paulus being that great in the McDonald's game, I do remember thinking that McRoberts was going to be star watching that game.

Dukeknights
03-31-2010, 11:48 PM
I don't even remember Paulus being that great in the McDonald's game, I do remember thinking that McRoberts was going to be star watching that game.

McRoberts had all the tools and athleticism to be great. If he had put in more work effort and stayed at least one more season he could have been special.

IMO.

Heelo
03-31-2010, 11:55 PM
Thought Kyrie was clearly the best player on the floor tonight.

Chris Paul comparison isn't far off.

JaMarcus Russell
04-01-2010, 12:07 AM
Here is the box score in case anyone is interested http://www.mcdonaldsallamerican.com/2010_AAG_mens_results.html

I thought that Kyrie was among the best players on the court tonight, along with Sullinger, Tobias Harris before his injury, Josh Selby, and Harrison Barnes.

I actually thought this was a very sloppy game, almost as bad as last year's Jordan Classic. Kyrie was great in the last 4-5 minutes of the first half though. He seemed to play very well with Harris and CJ Leslie in the open court, and I also thought he was the best point guard in the half court sets. The Nike Hoop Summit (which is by far the best of the all-star games) should be fun to watch in a few weeks. It's a shame Tobias got hurt though. He would have been very useful for the US team going up against some great post players from Canada and Europe.

COYS
04-01-2010, 12:14 AM
Thought Kyrie was clearly the best player on the floor tonight.

Chris Paul comparison isn't far off.

He showed really quick hands and feet on defense when he put his mind to it. Something tells me he won't have much of a choice but to put his mind to it next season, haha. He also has longer arms than I realized. I'm not sure he's quite as fast as Chris Paul, but he's not far off. He's got some really quick moves off the dribble. He also always keeps his head up in the open court and made great decisions on the break, for the most part. I think that the game confirmed what many have already been saying. He's a perfect match for Duke's man-to-man defensive system. As for the offensive side, I anticipate us running a lot more next year and I expect us to spread the floor more to open up driving lanes. The key for Irving, with all freshmen, will be how quickly he adjusts to the speed of the game. His overall ability will help ease the transition, but he will have to prove he can be a good decision maker in the half court (the fast break will be no problem for him, I believe) and avoid mental lapses on defense. He seems to have a really quick release on his jumper, which should serve him well.

Also, especially if Kyle comes back next year, we'll have to see how Kyrie plays off the ball. Both Kyle and Nolan will do a lot of the creating on offense. I'm sure Seth will get a chance as well. Of course, the nature of an allstar game makes it easier to look comfortable with the ball in your hand since most players are looking to score, but Kyrie definitely played his best when he was able to run the offense. I'm sure he'll do that plenty next year, but he'll also have to work off the ball from time to time and will have to be content being a spot up shooter.

Obviously, freshmen don't always pan out as you hope, but Kyrie was everything I expected in this game based on the reports and the writeups by DBRers that had seen him play. I have no doubt that he'll be an impact freshmen next year and certainly has a chance to be special.

BlueintheFace
04-01-2010, 12:15 AM
Reggie Bullock said coach K "looks like a rat" today. Video coming tomorrow.

COYS
04-01-2010, 12:23 AM
Reggie Bullock said coach K "looks like a rat" today. Video coming tomorrow.

Between Barnes, Bullock, Curry and Irving Duke and UNC will both have loads of talented youngsters to make next year's games really interesting. Hopefully our newcomers will make Bullock look even more foolish after we trounce them twice next year.

Bo_Spice
04-01-2010, 02:15 AM
I love how all the UNC recruits talk so much smack, I saw a video today where Reggie Bullock said "Duke has sorry wing players, Andre Dawkins can't guard me (Bullock), Kyrie can't guard Kendall (Marshall), and Singler can't guard Harrison" Kid is a joke! For the simple fact he's not even going to be a starter next season.

Kyrie summed it up perfectly, "UNC is in the Not Invited Tournament, while we are in the Final Four! We are in the Final Four! We are in the Final Four!!"

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=arv-P1UyCyQ&feature=player_embedded

licc85
04-01-2010, 02:16 AM
The full replay is on espn3.com for those of you who were asking. Kyrie didn't get as much playing time as I was hoping, imo he was definitely the best point guard in the game. He should have had about 3 or 4 more assists, but fab melo stuffed the crap of out some of those shots. The east always fell behind when he was on the bench. BRANDON KNIGHT IS OVERRATED. so is joe jackson.

gumbomoop
04-01-2010, 07:40 AM
The people who keep saying things like "Paulus was a McD All American and hate a great McD game, so be careful with projecting Irving" are going to be way off on this one.

Iriving is in a completely different league

Barnes was a fool not to pair with him

KI is going to make everyone on Duke much, much better. The plumlees have to be drooling right now

Agree with every word here.

Though accurate, I'll ignore the ref to HB.....

...... to focus on:

1. I have no idea whether KI can match GP's heart, but he can overmatch every physical skill, and it's not close. As BD rightly says, not even close, completely different league. Completely. Different. League.

2. Yep, everyone - everyone - much, much better. Drooling MPs for alley oops, everyone on fast break. I trust Andre and Seth and Nolan [I hope] are ready to run. And ready to receive lots of drive/dish passes back out to wing for open 3s.

Durhamrocks68
04-01-2010, 08:14 AM
I'm very psyched for his arrival. Last night just confirmed what I already knew. We have an elite PG coming to Durham who will make everyone better. Nice feeling to have heading into a possible NCAA Championship!

sdotbarbee
04-01-2010, 08:47 AM
I wish that KI and Marshall were separate teams so we could see KI dominate him. Marshall looked bad, he was slow and when he did finally get to the basket he got blocked. He consistently got beat off the dribble and then tried to flop at the end which gave Knight a wide open look and he knocked it down. Can't wait for KI to dominate him next year.

slower
04-01-2010, 09:23 AM
I love how all the UNC recruits talk so much smack, I saw a video today where Reggie Bullock said "Duke has sorry wing players, Andre Dawkins can't guard me (Bullock), Kyrie can't guard Kendall (Marshall), and Singler can't guard Harrison" Kid is a joke! For the simple fact he's not even going to be a starter next season.

Kyrie summed it up perfectly, "UNC is in the Not Invited Tournament, while we are in the Final Four! We are in the Final Four! We are in the Final Four!!"

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=arv-P1UyCyQ&feature=player_embedded

Looks like Bullock is going to be VERY easy to dislike. Plus, he don't seem too smart. Loved when Kyrie asked him if he spoke English! :D

Not too sure about Marshall - he honestly seemed to believe that the NIT was just as good as the NCAA tourney.

Barnes, at least, realized that Bullock stuck his foot in his mouth. Got to admit, we'd probably like Barnes if he was one of ours (even though he seems completely rehearsed and image-conscious at all times. Looks like he thinks he should always be the alpha dog in every situation, even though Kyrie seemed more articulate and quick.).

KI, though, is SHARP! Looks like the total package.

flyingdutchdevil
04-01-2010, 09:29 AM
Not too sure about Marshall - he honestly seemed to believe that the NIT was just as good as the NCAA tourney.

Had Duke gone to the NIT, would you want Kyrie to talk about how the NIT is absolute crap? I personally would be pissed off if he did. A recruit should always support his team, especially if they are doing poorly. I hate to say it, but I really like Marshall - seems like a genuine guy who supports his school 100% of the way.

Agree on your analysis of Barnes and Bullock though.

baby-face dawkins
04-01-2010, 09:32 AM
Well here is part 2... Bullock is definitely easy to dislike

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-QfKjcZenGo

...but after last night's game I can't wait for Kyrie to dominate

slower
04-01-2010, 09:34 AM
Had Duke gone to the NIT, would you want Kyrie to talk about how the NIT is absolute crap? I personally would be pissed off if he did. A recruit should always support his team, especially if they are doing poorly. I hate to say it, but I really like Marshall - seems like a genuine guy who supports his school 100% of the way.

Agree on your analysis of Barnes and Bullock though.

I kinda see your point, but I think he should have just not said anything about the NIT (nobody prompted him to talk about it, did they?) instead of trying to force such a pathetic comparison. Kyrie would proabably be smart enough to say that the team was playing better at this stage of the season and focus on next yesr, INSTEAD of implying that all postseason tournaments are equal (which is what Marshall seemed to be saying).

RepoMan
04-01-2010, 09:41 AM

I don't have that reaction at all. They're just a bunch of kids, having the time of their lives -- top dogs at the end of their high school careers.

Of course, there is no denying that Bullock has one of the goofiest laughs ever broadcast.

slower
04-01-2010, 09:41 AM

Bullock appears to be a COMPLETE douche. Not only did he say that K looks like a rat, he went BACK to it at the end of the segment.

After watching Part 2, Marshall seems rather likeable and Barnes (though likeable on the surface, in an Eddie Haskell sense) looks like he might be the kind of guy who always checks himself out every time he passes a mirror.

flyingdutchdevil
04-01-2010, 09:43 AM
I kinda see your point, but I think he should have just not said anything about the NIT (nobody prompted him to talk about it, did they?) instead of trying to force such a pathetic comparison. Kyrie would proabably be smart enough to say that the team was playing better at this stage of the season and focus on next yesr, INSTEAD of implying that all postseason tournaments are equal (which is what Marshall seemed to be saying).

Umm... last time I checked they were high schoolers without PR representation. They aren't coached in public speaking and they were in a comfortable environment with their peers. And I completely disagree - Kyrie would be smart enough to say something else? We don't know that at all. Kyrie did say somethings that got under my skin, like when he asked Barnes why he didn't go to Duke (but it was nowhere near the bone-headedness that came from Bullock).

Lastly, Marshall said that they are both NCAA Tournaments, which is correct. He wasn't comparing them at all, merely stating that UNC did make it to a post-season tourney. Of course Marshall knows the difference! He used his best common sense to try and not insult UNC, which I found to be quite tasteful.

Wow - I need to stop defending this guy. That said, I merely have to look at Barnes and Bullock and get angry again.

Mike Corey
04-01-2010, 09:48 AM
Teenagers goofing around.

Cut'em a little slack.

Starter
04-01-2010, 09:50 AM
Bullock was just messing around. But if it makes Cameron a harsher environment for him, people can absolutely think what they want.

Barnes seems like a smug clown. Looking forward to wiping the smile off his face next year.

yancem
04-01-2010, 09:51 AM

...but after last night's game I can't wait for Kyrie to dominate

It's funny, after all of the back and forth of Mr. Tiger's (aka Marshall's dad) comments on message boards I had gotten a really bad impression of Marshall but after watching a few of these videos, he comes across as a very likable guy. Also, while I think the assessments about his athletic ability are accurate, he does seem to be a very good passer and I think has the ability to be a very solid college pg. Unfortunately he choose to go to unc which, unless O'Roy changes his offense (what are the chances of that?), probably isn't the best fit for his game.

Oh, and I have heard several reports about Barnes being 6'8". He looked to be pretty much the same height as Bullock who I thought was listed as 6'5"-6'6".

Underdog5
04-01-2010, 10:03 AM
In addition to his offensive skill and ability to push the rock, I think he will be able to put the kinda ball pressure on opposing points that will really help our defense. And FWIW, I play some pick up with some folks in BK that our close to his family and they are all very excited about him being at Duke. Have to admit that I'm still trying to squash my fandome of HB but I'm sure seing him in the wrong color blue will help (I hate Rhode Island, Columbia and Baruch for this reason alone).

Kyrie will make us much better on both ends of the floor! I can't wait.

slower
04-01-2010, 10:06 AM
Umm... last time I checked they were high schoolers without PR representation. They aren't coached in public speaking and they were in a comfortable environment with their peers. And I completely disagree - Kyrie would be smart enough to say something else? We don't know that at all. Kyrie did say somethings that got under my skin, like when he asked Barnes why he didn't go to Duke (but it was nowhere near the bone-headedness that came from Bullock).

Lastly, Marshall said that they are both NCAA Tournaments, which is correct. He wasn't comparing them at all, merely stating that UNC did make it to a post-season tourney. Of course Marshall knows the difference! He used his best common sense to try and not insult UNC, which I found to be quite tasteful.

Wow - I need to stop defending this guy. That said, I merely have to look at Barnes and Bullock and get angry again.

Nice to know that "we don't know...at all" what Kyrie would say, but that you apparently have insight into the mind of Kendall Marshall (how do YOU know that "Marshall knows the difference"?) - who, as I stated, seems like a likeable guy.

And I believe that Kyrie said that Barnes was "supposed to go to Duke", didn't he? I didn't hear him ask him why he didn't go to Duke.

Anyway - whatever.

Mike Corey
04-01-2010, 10:18 AM
Kyrie didn't say anything wrong.

Barnes did get a little gesticulated when asked on camera though, didn't he?

David
04-01-2010, 10:25 AM
Although the McD's game is almost unwatchable (that was basketball they were playing?), I was really impressed by Kyrie's game. Through my (biased) eyes, he was the best player on the floor. Very excited to have him on our team next season.

jipops
04-01-2010, 10:28 AM
These are just kids having fun. The Carolina guys all look like good kids to me. They'll just be unfortunate enough to be playing for an extremely lame fair weather fan base in ridiculously colored uniforms.

Indoor66
04-01-2010, 10:51 AM
It's my creative, if embarrassing, spelling of Seth Curry. I messed up. KI and SC deserve better, as do all avid readers of my every word. I apologize and promise to use the Duke Player Names Abbreviation SpellCheck System from now on.

Why not just write their names?

UrinalCake
04-01-2010, 12:07 PM
I think it's great that these kids all know each other so well and can bust on each other. I thought both clips were really entertaining and I'm looking forward to yet another chapter in the rivalry, and some awesome games between Duke and UNC next year.

That said, Reggie Bullock reminds me of the guy that gets way too drunk when he's out partying, and all of his buddies have to rein him in before he urinates on a police officer.

kong123
04-01-2010, 12:12 PM
As a UNC fan, KI scares the heck out of me. His presence next year will convert the perimeter style offense to the more balanced style of offense Duke has been missing since 2001. If Duke wins the title, you may lose your entire starting 5, if not- and Singler and Smith come back, Duke has to be a favorite to win it all.

I must admit that KM seems to be extremely slow. Hopefully he will be able to comfortably adapt to the pace he will be asked to play next year. HB looks to programmed at all times to me, but there is no doubt that he is really talented and a winner. Bullock, he may have said some stuff that he will regret, but he is just a kid with a microphone shoved in his face. Who knows what those kids were saying off camera, perhaps it was worse than what he said on camera, the difference is, the others already know better. He didn't say anything that Duke fans haven't heard before. Its all in fun. Why make more of it than that? Oh yeah, because he is going to UNC.

And by the way, KM knows that the NIT is a crap tournament compared to the NCAA tournament. Everyone knows that. If you are really questioning if he is aware of the difference, then you really need to wake up. That video was funny, I was not offended by KI's NIT comments, I saw them as funny and as something I may hear from one of my Duke friends.

Devilsfan
04-01-2010, 12:28 PM
Bulluck is lucky Duke didn't want anything to do with him. Can you imagine that clown in a highly disaplined program that requires intelligence on and off the court like Duke?

kong123
04-01-2010, 12:43 PM
Bulluck is lucky Duke didn't want anything to do with him. Can you imagine that clown in a highly disaplined program that requires intelligence on and off the court like Duke?

are you serious?

DukieTiger
04-01-2010, 12:44 PM
Marshall seems like a genuinely nice/likable guy. I also think his relative slowness is overstated, and that he will be a solid player for UNC- though not the savior that some of their fans are expecting.

Barnes seems very mature, but also just incredibly put-on. It's really weird. You can tell he has a pretty dominant personality. Dominant, but not as charismatic as Kyrie, in my mind.

Bullock, I imagine, will learn a lot between now and next March.

flyingdutchdevil
04-01-2010, 12:48 PM
are you serious?

While I agree with you that Bullock is probably a decent guy and a very talented player, the only knowledge that we have of him is that video. Marshall and Barnes were respectful and honored the rivalry - Bullock had his head up his....well...you know.

That said, they are 18 year old kids. I can only assume that UNC and Duke kids alike are pretty immature in general (I remember myself and my friends as freshman at Duke. We weren't the most mature folk on campus...).

kong123
04-01-2010, 12:58 PM
Kids are kids, they were all laughing and having fun. Wouldn't you have loved to of been there? Do you have a UNC friend that loves to dig into you about different things concerning the rivalry? Is he/she a bad person? Fact is, this is the only thing you know about him other than he is going to play at UNC next year. Give him a break, stop judging simply because you need something negative to say about him

I have been coming to this forum for a year now, and I enjoy this forum above the UNC forums because the people here always seem to be above the low blow comments made on other boards. While I do think some of those comments are clever and ultimately funny, too much of that sort of stuff takes away from the credibility of the forum. Don't be so judgmental of these young kids at this point. They are experiencing and learning so much right now. If he says the same thing next year after he takes his first class, then jump all over him.

Andre Buckner Fan
04-01-2010, 01:06 PM

I'm a Duke grad but it's comments like this that make me shake my head at Duke fans. Duke players don't have a monopoly on intelligence or discipline. What we have is a great coach and usually teachable players.

Bullock is just playing around but he's going to get himself in trouble because those things he's saying won't help him on the court but could easy inspire other teams.

But UNC fans should be worried by this video because you guys need a glue player who brings his own discipline and heart to the floor. Hansbrough was that. He left the team, they get one bad loss at CoC and BAM, this season happened.

That was an extremely talented team. Next year will be an extremely talented team, but without a Hansbrough-like player it will underperform again, because Coach Roy Williams cannot or will not discipline or mold his teams. He's at their mercy but he keeps bringing in wildly talented but selfish players who are only looking for a quick National Championship before their destined jump to the NBA where they'll all be the next Jordan...

and without an unselfish, talented glue player who leads like Sean May or Tyler Hansbrough... that success won't happen. And I'm looking at the UNC roster and I don't see it there now, and this video (while not conclusive at all) makes it look like no leaders are coming in this class.

MChambers
04-01-2010, 01:07 PM
Kids are kids, they were all laughing and having fun. Wouldn't you have loved to of been there? Do you have a UNC friend that loves to dig into you about different things concerning the rivalry? Is he/she a bad person? Fact is, this is the only thing you know about him other than he is going to play at UNC next year. Give him a break, stop judging simply because you need something negative to say about him

I have been coming to this forum for a year now, and I enjoy this forum above the UNC forums because the people here always seem to be above the low blow comments made on other boards. While I do think some of those comments are clever and ultimately funny, too much of that sort of stuff takes away from the credibility of the forum. Don't be so judgmental of these young kids at this point. They are experiencing and learning so much right now. If he says the same thing next year after he takes his first class, then jump all over him.

I'm kind of shocked by all the reactions to the video. I haven't watched the video, because I just don't care what high school kids say. I'm sure all three UNC recruits are decent kids and I look forward to watching them play (and, I hope, lose to) Duke. I think folks are making way too much of this.

sandinmyshoes
04-01-2010, 01:11 PM
I though Kyrie had a solid game, as these all-star venues go. He showed flashes of amazing skill, but he did have more turnovers than assists. He has the physical skills to be a star, and I think Coach K can fine tune his game on every level. I was more excited by the flashes of his defensive potential than by all the dipsy-do moves. The young man has exceptional hands on both ends of the court.

Barnes is just an efficient player. Not particularly splashy, but just sound and more than capable in every category.

Marshall still impresses me. His style would not, I should think, match up well with an all-star venue. But he lead the teams in assists, and I think that in a college game, he'd have drawn that foul on Knight at the end of the game. It's interesting that the East coach put him back in for the final moments of the game.

Two interesting rumors I've heard from the McDonald's game is that UNC is looking at Ray McCallum, and that Duke is looking at CJ Leslie. Supposedly both programs are keeping out feelers depending on what happens with player movements following the season.

I think Leslie is a gifted athlete, but he could use a dose of Coach K style discipline and focus to carry his game even further.

kong123
04-01-2010, 01:17 PM
word is, Justin Watts is transferring and RM has been contacted by Roy and something was "worked out". But, you cannot really believe any of these rumors, most are false, but every once in a while one of them comes true. Having another 5* point guard on the team that is lightning quick would definitely be a nice addition for us. Some one is going to have to stay in front of KI!

whereinthehellami
04-01-2010, 01:17 PM

The whole "they are kids" thing is lame. I have a 5 year old that is more savy and aware than Bullock. And Bullock isn't/wasn't funny. Dumb comes more to mind than funny. He associated a rival coach with looking like a rat.

kong123
04-01-2010, 01:22 PM
Have you never heard that comparison before? Have you never seen the comparison picture that floats around the internet?

I am sure you're 5 year old is a great kid, but bagging on this kid who comes from a rough town in eastern NC just because of a few comments is pathetic. You guys say horrible things about Roy and that doesn't seem to bother you much.

Andre Buckner Fan
04-01-2010, 01:25 PM
Have you never heard that comparison before? Have you never seen the comparison picture that floats around the internet?

Sure it's all around the internet. But if Kyrie had ripped on Roy would you be okay with that?

Indoor66
04-01-2010, 01:29 PM
word is, Justin Watts is transferring and RM has been contacted by Roy and something was "worked out". But, you cannot really believe any of these rumors, most are false, but every once in a while one of them comes true. Having another 5* point guard on the team that is lightning quick would definitely be a nice addition for us. Some one is going to have to stay in front of KI!

Who is RM? Can you use names?

Channing
04-01-2010, 01:33 PM
Who is RM? Can you use names?

i have been trying to figure that out too...Ray McCallum maybe (although I havent heard him and UNC in the same sentence at all).

kong123
04-01-2010, 01:35 PM
Two interesting rumors I've heard from the McDonald's game is that UNC is looking at Ray McCallum, and that Duke is looking at CJ Leslie. Supposedly both programs are keeping out feelers depending on what happens with player movements following the season.

Ray McCallum

MChambers
04-01-2010, 01:36 PM

So Ol' Roy wants four point guards: Drew, Strickland, Marshall, and McCallum. Marshall is being recruited over before he arrives on campus? He'll certainly have a lot of choices for pgs to throw under the bus.

flyingdutchdevil
04-01-2010, 01:37 PM
I am sure you're 5 year old is a great kid, but bagging on this kid who comes from a rough town in eastern NC just because of a few comments is pathetic. You guys say horrible things about Roy and that doesn't seem to bother you much.

I'm calling it like I see it. I haven't commented negatively on any recent UNC kids (except for Henson, but his "lean" body is just too much fun not to make fun of). And that's because they have respected, but also right-fully hated, Duke. Bullock was out of line, especially considering a) he's going to posted all over the internet and b) hasn't even stepped foot on UNC soil and he's already saying terrible things.

Also, there is an enormous difference between a fanbase and a player (or worse, a future player) bad-mouthing another program. By signing up to play for a school like Carolina (or Duke), you are also signing up to be a role model.

kong123
04-01-2010, 01:40 PM
Sure it's all around the internet. But if Kyrie had ripped on Roy would you be okay with that?

People ripping Roy is nothing new. The difference in my opinion is, we do not take it as personally as you do. You guys have nicknames for our coaches and players that are not flattering, big deal. We are all grown ups and should understand that sticks and stones may break my bones but words will never hurt me.

In a true rivalry, fans talk crap about each other. You guys are in the final four, enjoy it.

kong123
04-01-2010, 01:42 PM
I'm calling it like I see it. I haven't commented negatively on any recent UNC kids (except for Henson, but his "lean" body is just too much fun not to make fun of). And that's because they have respected, but also right-fully hated, Duke. Bullock was out of line, especially considering a) he's going to posted all over the internet and b) hasn't even stepped foot on UNC soil and he's already saying terrible things.

Also, there is an enormous difference between a fanbase and a player (or worse, a future player) bad-mouthing another program. By signing up to play for a school like Carolina (or Duke), you are also signing up to be a role model.

This is probably the first time he has ever said anything that has been posted everywhere. Think he will learn from this?

juise
04-01-2010, 01:45 PM
This is probably the first time he has ever said anything that has been posted everywhere. Think he will learn from this?

I'm thinking Duke's wings will teach him a lesson a next year. So, yes, I think he will eventually learn from this. :)

slower
04-01-2010, 01:48 PM

Bullock not only said it once, but he also came back to it at the end of the video, even AFTER Barnes and Marshall kept telling him to (basically) shut the h*ll up. and who gives a crap if he's from a "rough" town? Kinston is a rough town? Did not know that.

So what if K said that Bullock looked like a certain kind of animal (not that he ever would)? Different story, I suppose, right?

We say things about Roy because he acts like a douche and brings it on himself.

chrisheery
04-01-2010, 01:56 PM
Bullock not only said it once, but he also came back to it at the end of the video, even AFTER Barnes and Marshall kept telling him to (basically) shut the h*ll up. and who gives a crap if he's from a "rough" town? Kinston is a rough town? Did not know that.

So what if K said that Bullock looked like a certain kind of animal (not that he ever would)? Different story, I suppose, right?

We say things about Roy because he acts like a douche and brings it on himself.

Kinston definitely has some really rough areas, but what town in NC (with more than 10,000 people) doesn't outside of Chapel Hill and towns in the outerbanks? Can't think of any off the top of my head.

Anyway, being from a rough place doesn't give you the right to be an idiot. I love motivation.

Bullock, like Mazzola, is going to find out what it feels like when Duke wants to get even with you.

magjayran
04-01-2010, 02:20 PM
I'm DVRd the game and I'm watching it now. So far, the only thing I've seen Harrison Barnes do is hang back, not play defense, and cash-in on outlet passes with no one around to contest his shot. Skinny egg-headed clown. I'm glad he's at UNC. Now when someone says Duke players flop I can point out Tyler Hansbrough and when people say that Duke players are nerds I can point to Harrison Barnes.

Exiled_Devil
04-01-2010, 02:57 PM

Its one thing for fans and anti-fans to to use Coach K's rodent-name insult. Its entirely another for someone who will be representing a program that is supposed to have values and be respectable to do the same.

If Roy has any decency in him, he will squash Bollock for that comment when he gets on campus. And partially for self-protection. That lack of discretion ends up with McCants-like issues down the road.

Delaware
04-01-2010, 03:03 PM

Just asking, but why are you pointing out that he came from a rough town in eastern NC?

CrazieDUMB
04-01-2010, 03:14 PM
Come on people, lighten up. The kid is a high schooler, he's clearly just joshing around with his friends with a little trash talk. That probably won't be allowed once he's on campus, so hey, let loose while you still can. I really don't care what an 18 yr old thinks about my favorite basketball team.

TheBrianZoubekExperience
04-01-2010, 03:28 PM
I linked to the DX tweet last night and thought it was going to be a lot worse. Seeing the context it really wasn't that bad. Dumb to say, but not really that bad. Everyone was joking around. The more interesting parts of the videos to me were that Barnes seemed to have been persuaded that UNC produces much better NBA talent than Duke and the part where Kyrie was saying Barnes was supposed to come to Duke with him. They didn't elaborate enough to draw much from it but it was interesting to hear a little about what Barnes thinks of the programs and that he probably was leaning Duke for awhile.

As for the game, I thought Barnes looked good. I can see him doing very well in college. I've seen him before but last night he did look pretty smooth. I think Marshall is a bit overrated but I really like Bullock. Kyrie will be great but I think he will be more of an all around talent that grows with the program for a few years (I'd guess he stays 2 or 3 years) than an instant college superstar. I think the Chris Paul comparisons are a bit of a stretch but I think Kyrie could be pretty close in college.

Someone mentioned heights...I wouldn't read much into that video. I've seen Barnes before and I think he's a legit 6'7-6'8 in shoes, probably 6'6 barefoot. As a SF in college he'll have plenty of size. Hopefully Ed Davis leaves or UNC will be really poised for a deep run.

But -----right now the focus is on Duke and the final four. Go Duke!

kyriecrazy2013
04-01-2010, 03:36 PM
If Duke wins the title, you may lose your entire starting 5, if not- and Singler and Smith come back, Duke has to be a favorite to win it all.

Smith is definitely staying (according to him) and Singler may test the waters or perhaps his decision depends on the outcomes of the next 2 games.

http://blogs.newsobserver.com/accnow/dukes-smith-to-return-as-senior

Bo_Spice
04-01-2010, 03:57 PM
If Duke wins the title, you may lose your entire starting 5, if not- and Singler and Smith come back, Duke has to be a favorite to win it all.

Even if we win the national championship I really doubt Nolan and Kyle leave, both of them are 2nd round picks, and Nolan has already said publicly he wants to earn his degree.

shoutingncu
04-01-2010, 03:58 PM
...it was interesting to hear a little about what Barnes thinks of the programs and that he probably was leaning Duke for awhile.

But that goes against the storyline that HB was stringing Duke along the whole time...

Heelo
04-01-2010, 03:58 PM
Someone mentioned heights...I wouldn't read much into that video. I've seen Barnes before and I think he's a legit 6'7-6'8 in shoes, probably 6'6 barefoot.

Barnes was measured 6-8 at the Nike camp. I think that's in shoes, but that's how they measured everyone.

http://www.nbadraft.net/node/9269?players/harrison-barnes (scroll down)

Welcome2DaSlopes
04-01-2010, 04:14 PM
If Kyrie had said what Reggie said but the opposite, most of the poster would have been co/signing him saying he's a great kid, can't wait to have him. I don't have a problem with a rivil trash talking, I mean did you expect him to say something nice?

Indoor66
04-01-2010, 04:16 PM
If Kyrie had said what Reggie said but the opposite, most of the poster would have been co/signing him saying he's a great kid, can't wait to have him. I don't have a problem with a rivil trash talking, I mean did you expect him to say something nice?

As I said earlier in this thread, sometimes it is better to say nothing at all.

slower
04-01-2010, 04:22 PM

but Kyrie DIDN'T say anything like that, now did he? He didn't make a personal attack on Roy Williams' appearance early in the video, and then go there AGAIN even after his future teammates tried to shut him up. Did he?

Greg_Newton
04-01-2010, 04:46 PM

Dude, you have got to be kidding me. One of your players took a childish, personal shot at our coach. We will chastise him for this in a message board thread if we want to.

AND FWIW, I really like Kendall and I actually find Bullock kind of entertaining... he doesn't seem malicious, he just seems slightly off his rocker in a funny way. As in, I'm not sure if Kendall was joking about him not taking his medecine that day off-his-rocker... should be entertaining.

But, come on. You're. On. A. Duke. Board. Just save your righteous indignation and aggressively defensive posts... I mean, are you seriously calling posters "pathetic" for responding to one of your players calling Coach K a rat? Seriously????

kong123
04-01-2010, 05:23 PM
Just asking, but why are you pointing out that he came from a rough town in eastern NC?

He looks like he maybe a kid that wouldn't have been able to go to college if wasn't athletically gifted.

Welcome2DaSlopes
04-01-2010, 05:26 PM
He looks like he maybe a kid that wouldn't have been able to go to college if wasn't athletically gifted.

That sounds like your reading a book by it's cover, You hardly know this kid.

kong123
04-01-2010, 05:28 PM
Dude, you have got to be kidding me. One of your players took a childish, personal shot at our coach. We will chastise him for this in a message board thread if we want to.

AND FWIW, I really like Kendall and I actually find Bullock kind of entertaining... he doesn't seem malicious, he just seems slightly off his rocker in a funny way. As in, I'm not sure if Kendall was joking about him not taking his medecine that day off-his-rocker... should be entertaining.

But, come on. You're. On. A. Duke. Board. Just save your righteous indignation and aggressively defensive posts... I mean, are you seriously calling posters "pathetic" for responding to one of your players calling Coach K a rat? Seriously????

I think calling the kid stupid and saying that he isn't the kind of kid you would want playing for Duke is pathetic. Truth is, in a few years, you may wish that he was playing for you instead of your rival. My point is, if the members of this forum are as classy as you think you are, then try acting like it a bit. A guy posted earlier that Roy is a douche, is that classy? Is that an attack? Had I said that about Coack K, I would receive a ban or worse. Sure, this is a Duke board but why condone that and trash an 18 year old kid for a comment he made in jest. I doubt the comment concerning Roy was meant in jest. The point is, if this board really holds itself to a higher standard then prove it.

roywhite
04-01-2010, 05:36 PM
I think calling the kid stupid and saying that he isn't the kind of kid you would want playing for Duke is pathetic. Truth is, in a few years, you may wish that he was playing for you instead of your rival. My point is, if the members of this forum are as classy as you think you are, then try acting like it a bit. A guy posted earlier that Roy is a douche, is that classy? Is that an attack? Had I said that about Coack K, I would receive a ban or worse. Sure, this is a Duke board but why condone that and trash an 18 year old kid for a comment he made in jest. I doubt the comment concerning Roy was meant in jest. The point is, if this board really holds itself to a higher standard then prove it.

So the young player was jesting when he compared our coach's appearance to a rodent?

But insults against Roy are not meant in jest.

A Carolina fan coming here to scold Duke fans and insist they be held to a higher standard...kong, this is not working.

kong123
04-01-2010, 05:38 PM
That sounds like your reading a book by it's cover, You hardly know this kid.

Actually, I have spent some time around him and around a lot of the people in Kinston. Most kids from that area do not go to college. He is one of the lucky ones that has a bright future in front of him. He was advised to leave Kinston his senior year like Stackhouse was but decided to stay so he could be the first McDonalds All-American from Kinston. That was a nice gesture to the community and demonstrates isn't a spoiled brat kid with an inflated ego. He also wanted to play for another championship with his team, a goal which they accomplished a few weeks ago.

I know I am in the wrong place to try and defend a Tarheel recruit, I just feel bad that he is having to go through this embarrassment. I am sure he regrets saying it. It will follow him a long long time. He isn't a bad kid, he just said something in jest that offended a bunch of people.

CDu
04-01-2010, 05:39 PM
So the young player was jesting when he compared our coach's appearance to a rodent?

But insults against Roy are not meant in jest.

A Carolina fan coming here to scold Duke fans and insist they be held to a higher standard...kong, this is not working.

I just think it's funny that a UNC fan who started on this board pretending to be a Duke fan is telling Duke fans how they should act.

That being said, I don't think it's appropriate for Bullock (or anyone) to compare Coach K to a rat, nor do I think it's appropriate for Duke fans to call Roy a douche. Even in jest, neither are appropriate, and neither should be condoned. That doesn't make Bullock a bad kid (he may or may not be a bad kid) and it doesn't make those who call Roy a douche bad people (they may or may not be). But the actions aren't acceptable in either case.

I'm sure Bullock will learn that lesson.

oldnavy
04-01-2010, 05:41 PM
Bullock should fit right in with Roy on the hill. They can help each other remove the foot out of their mouth(s).

All in all, not a smart thing to say about a HOF coach, but I have heard that comment a thousand times from kids and adults alike. I am sure K has heard it as well. The thing is, Reggie Bullock is NOW a representative of the University of North Carolina at Chapel Hill, and he should be told to conduct himself as such. Have fun with the rivalry stuff, but no personal attacks.

What I find interesting in all of this is that you get a glimpse or hint about what type of personality these kids MAY have. I don't think that any of them are going to be trouble makers, but HB seems a little "programmed", and RB seems to be a little "undisciplined/wildcard“. May be way off base, but that was my first impression from the video.

slower
04-01-2010, 05:54 PM

Why, whatever do you mean he "looks" like he wouldn't have been able to go to college if he wasn't athletically gifted? ;)

slower
04-01-2010, 05:59 PM

See, I said that Roy ACTS like a douche, not that he WAS one. And what, exactly, has K done that would engender that kind of statement, huh? Seriously, man, you've GOT to bring something better if you want to get by here. Don't think that you can come in here with some knee-jerk defense of EVERY negative thing said about your precious Holes.

Bullock said what he said. Barnes didn't, Marshall didn't and Kyrie didn't.

Roy did what he did and said what he said. K didn't.

slower
04-01-2010, 06:01 PM
He isn't a bad kid, he just said something in jest that offended a bunch of people.

Maybe we're just jesting, too. ;)

He's probably not a bad kid. Too early to tell. Marshall seems like a good kid. Barnes - eh.

kong123
04-01-2010, 06:10 PM
See, I said that Roy ACTS like a douche, not that he WAS one. And what, exactly, has K done that would engender that kind of statement, huh? Seriously, man, you've GOT to bring something better if you want to get by here. Don't think that you can come in here with some knee-jerk defense of EVERY negative thing said about your precious Holes.

Bullock said what he said. Barnes didn't, Marshall didn't and Kyrie didn't.

Roy did what he did and said what he said. K didn't.

You said Roy ACTS like a douche, so that makes it ok? I am sure I could dig up plenty of other posters who are careful to qualify their descriptions of Roy like you, huh?

I will stop. I think it is unfortunate that he said what he said. If you guys want to have fun with it, fine, but if you want to characterize him as a bad person unfit to wear the Duke uniform, then I think you are living to far inside your dark blue tinted house to see my point.

Heelo
04-01-2010, 06:13 PM
Unsure why kong thinks he's going to get the last word in here...

Kedsy
04-01-2010, 06:21 PM
You said Roy ACTS like a douche, so that makes it ok? I am sure I could dig up plenty of other posters who are careful to qualify their descriptions of Roy like you, huh?

I will stop. I think it is unfortunate that he said what he said. If you guys want to have fun with it, fine, but if you want to characterize him as a bad person unfit to wear the Duke uniform, then I think you are living to far inside your dark blue tinted house to see my point.

FWIW, I agree with you (about this, anyway).

MChambers
04-01-2010, 06:23 PM
FWIW, I agree with you (about this, anyway).
Me too. Seems like this thread has outlived its usefulness.

-jk
04-01-2010, 06:31 PM
Me too. Seems like this thread has outlived its usefulness.

Indeed.

-jk