PDA

View Full Version : respect thread for coach drew and baylor players

dustin8131
03-28-2010, 11:46 PM
The whole program was class in all of the post game and in game struggles i noticed baylor always helping players up and giving atta boys throughout. i was impressed with the post game presser

Welcome2DaSlopes
03-28-2010, 11:48 PM
Great Game Baylor, good luck next year, unless you play us again of course.

SoCalDukeFan
03-28-2010, 11:49 PM
the first person I would try to get is Drew.

Baylor was a shambles and he has built something special.

SoCal

cptnflash
03-28-2010, 11:49 PM
The whole program was class in all of the post game and in game struggles i noticed baylor always helping players up and giving atta boys throughout. i was impressed with the post game presser

100% agree. Postgame prayer, full respect given to Duke throughout their press conference despite obvious emotional devastation, played hard throughout... class act all the way. I'm rooting for Baylor from here on out (except when they play us).

DevilHorns
03-28-2010, 11:51 PM
Baylor played an excellent game. Hats off to em.

What they said in post-game conference showed me that their talent is matched only by their character. Now thats a team (unlike UK the day before in post-game conf).

dustin8131
03-28-2010, 11:58 PM

What they said in post-game conference showed me that their talent is matched only by their character. Now thats a team (unlike UK the day before in post-game conf).

i agree 100 percent

coldriver10
03-29-2010, 12:02 AM

What'd the UK players say?

I agree 100% with this thread. I can see them being a really easy team to root for (unless they're playing Duke, of course). When you think about all they've been through in the past several years, their year really was incredible. I wish them continued success.

Classof06
03-29-2010, 12:15 AM
Quite simply, I can't remember having such respect for a Duke opponent following a Duke win. Scott Drew has done a phenomenal job at Baylor and Carter, Udoh and Dunn are flat-out players. On paper, this was a problematic matchup for Duke and that was clearly illustrated this evening.

Baylor and its fans have absolutely nothing to hang their heads over. As long as Drew stays in Waco, I have no doubts the Bears will be back again.

prefan21
03-29-2010, 12:22 AM
First off, having been at the game, the fans were great. Loud, positive, and very pro-Baylor without being nasty about Duke. Individually, they behaved like Baptists and knew everything about their team.

Second, I came away with a ton of respect for Baylor's program and coach Drew. He exudes class and it was reflected in his team's post-game interviews. To think they've come this far 7 years after being in basketball purgatory speaks volumes about his talent. Ekpe Udoh, Tweety Carter, and LaceDarius Dunn are all studs but their entire team gave us all we could handle.

I heard they also have a talented F/C and PG coming in next year. The future looks bright for Baylor basketball.

Andre Buckner Fan
03-29-2010, 12:45 AM
I'm glad someone made this thread.

LaceDarius and Tweety were breaking my heart as they corralled their emotions in the presser. Excepting Acy they all played really classy and hard-nosed basketball. All the best for their program in the future, I would have been voting for them if they hadn't been playing Duke.

But regardless Baylor Basketball is back.

gumbomoop
03-29-2010, 12:46 AM
The future looks bright for Baylor basketball.

Especially if Dunn and Udoh return.

licc85
03-29-2010, 12:48 AM
We should thank Baylor's coaches and players for giving us such a tough game. The goal in the NCAA tournament (other than to survive and advance) is to improve with every game, and I think that's what happened in this game.

SicEm
03-29-2010, 12:54 AM
Thanks Duke fans. Some of the most classiest fans I have encountered this season. I wish Duke the best of luck in the Final Four and will be pulling for them.

I was at the game in Houston, and it was hard to believe we had made it this far. I couldnt believe we were playing Duke in the Elite Eight. While I wish the Bears would of won, I had an amazing time at the game. Every Duke fan I met exhibited class and I made some new friends.

While I have always been apathetic towards Duke, you will find me pulling for Duke in most games from here on out.

I heard they also have a talented F/C and PG coming in next year. The future looks bright for Baylor basketball.

Yes, Perry Jones (F/C) will be joining Baylor next year. He is one of the top recruits in the nation. We also have Stargell Love (PG) joining us next year.

dustin8131
03-29-2010, 01:03 AM
I'm glad someone made this thread.

LaceDarius and Tweety were breaking my heart as they corralled their emotions in the presser. Excepting Acy they all played really classy and hard-nosed basketball. All the best for their program in the future, I would have been voting for them if they hadn't been playing Duke.

But regardless Baylor Basketball is back.

my thoughts exactly

smvalkyries
03-29-2010, 01:53 AM
The Baylor Bears have certainly earned my respect both for their hard nosed and excellent play and for the class with which they conducted themselves both during the game and especially in the presser (I will even forgive Acey for a little heat of the moment bump). The charge call was a heart breaker but not one whimper from the Bears (and as biased as I am I thought it was a block). I most certainly will be rooting for Baylor in the future and expect to see them high in the pre-season national rankings for 2010-11.
Not sure I want to play them in a home and home because I like them so much but it is a thought.

ElSid
03-29-2010, 02:12 AM
Fairly new to this board, as evidenced by my number of posts...but:

Very impressed with the quality of contribution by the Baylor folks who came onto the board to post. Thanks for that.

I was very worried for this game and rightly so. Baylor gave Duke a huge scare. I would say it played out pretty close to how we called it on these boards pregame. Rebounding. Shooting better. Attacking the zone, etc.

Amazing game in one of the best tourney's ever. Happy to be a part of it. Thanks to Baylor for being a classy opponent.

Let's go DUKE!

Shammrog
03-29-2010, 06:08 AM
Thanks Duke fans. Some of the most classiest fans I have encountered this season. I wish Duke the best of luck in the Final Four and will be pulling for them.

I was at the game in Houston, and it was hard to believe we had made it this far. I couldnt believe we were playing Duke in the Elite Eight. While I wish the Bears would of won, I had an amazing time at the game. Every Duke fan I met exhibited class and I made some new friends.

While I have always been apathetic towards Duke, you will find me pulling for Duke in most games from here on out.

Yes, Perry Jones (F/C) will be joining Baylor next year. He is one of the top recruits in the nation. We also have Stargell Love (PG) joining us next year.

I told a friend after the game that you were the best team we played all year. You should be very proud of Coach Drew and your program.

slower
03-29-2010, 07:25 AM
Excepting Acy they all played really classy and hard-nosed basketball...

Didn't see the post-game, but I hope Acey had his s**t together better than on the court. Other than him, no issues with the Baylor squad. Drew is definitely a keeper and their fans seem pretty classy. Bright future for them.

theAlaskanBear
03-29-2010, 07:48 AM

Stargell Love, if I'm not mistaken, it Quincy Miller's PG, and he says he is underrated (tho all teammates will talk up their friends), so its worth noting. Here's hoping you enjoy as much success with Love as we do with Miller!

Btw, I just became a Baylor Bear fan....as long as they are not playing against Duke! It will be REAL EASY to root for Baylor among those hated big-12 teams.

Duke05
03-29-2010, 07:58 AM
If you didn't get to watch Baylor's postgame comments, here's a transcript: http://www.baylorbears.com/sports/m-baskbl/recaps/032810aah.html

I echo all the comments above. We need more teams like Baylor in college basketball.

northernduke
03-29-2010, 08:37 AM
I hope Dunn comes back next year, because he has the potential to be a really special player in his senior season. If they get Dunn, Udoh and Acy back next year, that's a formidable trio for any team to go up against. Here's to another run from the Bears next year (hopefully we can avoid 'em ;))!

GODUKEGO
03-29-2010, 08:51 AM

I was at the game in Houston, and it was hard to believe we had made it this far. I couldn't believe we were playing Duke in the Elite Eight. While I wish the Bears would of won, I had an amazing time at the game. Every Duke fan I met exhibited class and I made some new friends.

While I have always been apathetic toward Duke, you will find me pulling for Duke in most games from here on out.

Wouldn't you just love to post this on the Terps web site. This is why I am so proud to be a Blue Devil. Thanks for this post. My wife and I were at the ACC Tournament sitting in the Carolina section. We were making some noise for State in the semi's against GA Tech. After the game, we past a Carolina fan still sitting behind us and he smiled at us and said "Thanks and have a great day". Opinion is, we are always being judged because of who we are and what we represent.

camion
03-29-2010, 09:03 AM
The game last night was what college basketball should be about. Both teams played their hearts out and both teams really played like teams. Either would have been a good representative in the final four. I salute the Baylor team and fans; they have every right to be proud.

whereinthehellami
03-29-2010, 09:21 AM
There has been some smoke surrounding Drew (http://sports.espn.go.com/dallas/ncb/columns/story?columnist=caplan_jeff&id=4979714) and his ethics. I admire success more when corners aren't cut to achieve it.

MChambers
03-29-2010, 09:41 AM
We also have Stargell Love (PG) joining us next year.
Baylor's definitely gonna have representation on the All Name Team. Losing Tweety will hurt, but adding Stargell Love is pretty good.:)

Nice comments coming from Baylor. Seems like a class program.

CDu
03-29-2010, 09:50 AM
There has been some smoke surrounding Drew (http://sports.espn.go.com/dallas/ncb/columns/story?columnist=caplan_jeff&id=4979714) and his ethics. I admire success more when corners aren't cut to achieve it.

Yeah, Drew seems like a nice guy, but those are some shady stories. Especially the hiring of Dwon Clifton during the John Wall recruitment. He's made amazing strides with that program, but negative and potentially dirty recruiting tactics are not commendable.

I do feel bad for Carter and Dunn. Those guys showed a lot of toughness and class in their post-game comments. I feel bad for Udoh as well, who was a force on both ends of the court. Baylor was probably the best and toughest team we played this year, and it took a great effort from our guys to overcome them. As Drew said in the post game, Duke's team won it, Baylor definitely didn't lose it. Neither team deserved to lose.

DukieInKansas
03-29-2010, 09:51 AM
I was very impressed with the 3 student athletes that had to face the press, a practice that seems a little cruel at times. I found an email address for someone in the athletic department at Baylor and let them know. Don't know if the kids will ever find out that people were impressed but I hope the word of this thread gets to them.

Very impressive team - both in talent and character.

jv001
03-29-2010, 10:00 AM
If you didn't get to watch Baylor's postgame comments, here's a transcript: http://www.baylorbears.com/sports/m-baskbl/recaps/032810aah.html

I echo all the comments above. We need more teams like Baylor in college basketball.

Thanks for the link. I enjoyed the presser. I will like many Duke fans root for Baylor when they're not playing Duke. Like what Drew said about his team. They grew as players and grew spiritually. Go Duke!

slower
03-29-2010, 10:04 AM

The mental image of Bob Knight "cornering him in a bathroom" is priceless. The Freaking General, STILL striking fear in the hearts of lesser men!

edgeBear
03-29-2010, 10:07 AM
Thanks to all who gave respect for Baylor and Scott Drew.

... I'm still a little bitter about yesterday, but by the time Saturday rolls around I'm sure I'll be pulling for Duke against WVU. I may do the same for the title game if Duke wins. Depends on if Butler is there too.

Good luck

CameronBornAndBred
03-29-2010, 10:16 AM
I was very impressed with the 3 student athletes that had to face the press, a practice that seems a little cruel at times...
Very impressive team - both in talent and character.
Ditto to that. They were quiet classy in their post game, and obviously emotional. I hope they continue success under coach Drew, teams like that are good for college basketball. As far as Acy, I can forgive him for that bit at the end of the game. It's hard enough not to get caught up in the emotions on our side of the tv, it has to be even harder on the court, and their game had just taken a turn for the worse. The T was the right call, so he paid the price.

Andre Buckner Fan
03-29-2010, 10:50 AM
Thanks to all who gave respect for Baylor and Scott Drew.

... I'm still a little bitter about yesterday, but by the time Saturday rolls around I'm sure I'll be pulling for Duke against WVU.

Thanks for the comment EdgeBear. In a game like that where both teams could have won and neither team deserved to lose, I'd be slightly bitter too (not bitter at Baylor, just bitter at the refs and how the cookie crumbles). I had a list of calls that were driving me crazy (probably most of them weren't as bad as I thought they were, but they definitely had me yelling at the TV).

I'd have taken at least till Wednesday before I was recuperated enough to post a classy comment like yours though, so I appreciate it.

davekay1971
03-29-2010, 10:59 AM
I had a feeling prior to the tournament that getting to the final four would mean us having to beat Baylor. It was a heck of a task, and Baylor is a heck of a team.

ACCBBallFan
03-29-2010, 11:16 AM
I too am glad this thread was started. I watched the post game on ESPN News and was very impressed with how the Baylor players and the coach handled themselves, for example not complaining about the technical on Acy or the charge into Zoubs.

The playeres were impressive and then when Drew thanked the reporter for the question about the post game huddle and said that they always pray afterwards and think all teams should do likewise, even more impressed.

The team reflects the coach.

Of course Nolan and Jon and coach K were also impresasive but much easier to do after a win. I like how Jon spoke about the other things that Kyle did besides shooting 0/10.

slower
03-29-2010, 11:20 AM
I watched the post game on ESPN News and was very impressed with how the Baylor players and the coach handled themselves, for example not complaining about the technical on Acy...

Why WOULD they have complained about it?

Andre Buckner Fan
03-29-2010, 11:39 AM
Why WOULD they have complained about it?

Because the media baited them with every question and they didn't take the bait.

NYC Duke Fan
03-29-2010, 11:41 AM
Someone had mentioned the Kentucky post game conference and someone had asked what had been said there.

Can anyone shed some light?

Thank You

mehmattski
03-29-2010, 12:07 PM
Someone had mentioned the Kentucky post game conference and someone had asked what had been said there.

Can anyone shed some light?

Thank You

Kentucky senior Ramon Harris said "I feel like we beat ourselves more then they beat us. I still think we're the best team in the country, hands down."

http://www.cbssports.com/collegebasketball/story/13123295/kentucky-doesnt-get-its-moneys-worth-out-of-calipari?tag=headlines;headlines

Devilfam
03-29-2010, 12:29 PM
I agree with the comments re Baylor fans and players. I was at the game and they were loud and enthusiastic. But when the end came, they acted with good sportsmanship and class. I sat in front of a group from Baylor that 1) were very knowledgeable about college basketball in general and Duke players in particular and 2) cheered loudly and complained about the officiating just like we would and 3) congratulated us on the win at the end. I contrast this with my experience at the 2004 Final Four in San Antonio where the fans from the team that took us out in the semis were way more obnoxious even after they had won!

slower
03-29-2010, 12:45 PM
Because the media baited them with every question and they didn't take the bait.

Okay - I didn't watch it.

CA Cameron Crazie
03-29-2010, 02:28 PM
I was also impressed with the Baylor team overall, with the exception of Acy who, even before the T, seemed to showboat more than necessary. With the talent that both Dunn and Carter have, it was nice to see players who want to play, be good sports, and not worry about getting in the opponents' heads or playing to the crowd. The post game presser proved that.

throatybeard
03-29-2010, 03:40 PM
Kentucky senior Ramon Harris said "I feel like we beat ourselves more then they beat us. I still think we're the best team in the country, hands down."

http://www.cbssports.com/collegebasketball/story/13123295/kentucky-doesnt-get-its-moneys-worth-out-of-calipari?tag=headlines;headlines

http://www.okulaja.de/site/sites/all/themes/okulaja/images/oak2.jpg

Son of Jarhead
03-29-2010, 03:42 PM
Baylor fans discuss this thread on their own board...

http://www.baylorfans.com/forums/showthread.php?t=189121

I was, like everyone here it seems, impressed with Baylor's team. That was one tough game, both teams played at a high level. It was one of those games, as several have put it, that we won, but they did not lose... we had to earn it.

Brim
03-29-2010, 04:45 PM
I'd like to add my name to the last and tip my hat in respect to a great Baylor team. They played a wonderful game against Duke, and they have a great bunch of players who really impressed me.

Early on in the game, I was struck by Baylor's good sportsmanship. I remember one play when Nolan was driving to the basket and he got fouled by -- I think it was LaceDarius Dunn -- not a hard foul, but it was a foul that knocked him to the ground. The player (Dunn) got up, patted Nolan on the back to see if he was okay, a gesture to indicate that he didn't mean to give him a hard foul. He seemed genuinely sorry. This impressed me. This guy's got real character.

I'm not sure how much Acy's shove takes away from the character of the team as a whole. Obviously what he did was a stupid move, and I'm sure he feels really dumb for doing it.

killerleft
03-29-2010, 04:57 PM

Great point. Maybe Seth Greenburg and his guys should be required to watch the Baylor presser and explain why whining Hokies are all the rage in Blacksburg.

elvis14
03-29-2010, 05:49 PM
I gained much respect for the Baylor players (except Acy who's behavior was awful before earned the T) and coaches yesterday. I hope they have much success next year and in the future.

Ajax BU
03-29-2010, 06:17 PM
Thanks for the kind words guys.

I was at the game, and after buying my tickets from a Duke fan I ended up sitting amongst blue shirts. Although I did later move to an open seat next to my family in a Baylor section I just wanted to let you guys know that the respect is mutual.

Your fans were incredibly classy for the entire time I was there. I was shaking hands and meeting several of the Duke faithful. I was constantly being reminded to not to feel shy about cheering on my team (I never do :)). I even had a few laughs as I was told while moving to my seat that restroom breaks during the game were for Duke fans only :p. I even heard some of the same thoughts that have been discussed in this thread. Before tipoff I was told "May the best team win" which is always good to hear. At the end of the day we were just rooting on our team.

I had a blast at the game and met many very nice fans, I am rooting for Duke from here on out--unless another Duke vs Baylor match-up occurs (like women's basketball tonight). I wish more schools would have fans like Duke.

BenK
03-29-2010, 06:19 PM

A lot of that "smoke" is whining from Ricky Barnes--who has, coincidentally I'm sure, lost his last four games to the Bears. There isn't any evidence of "cutting corners" in Drew's recruiting, but there is evidence of a lot of hard work.

Coach K put NYT resident gossip columnist Thayer Evans in his place when asked about Drew's "reputation."

"Q. Scott Drew doesn't exactly have a sterling reputation among coaches in the Big 12. What do you know about his reputation?
COACH KRZYZEWSKI: I don't know any. I'm not a Big 12 coach, so, do you want me to give the numbers to all the Big 12 coaches and you can ask that question?

Q. I have those numbers.
COACH KRZYZEWSKI: Okay.

Q. But I just wondered what you knew about him. Do you know anything at all?
COACH KRZYZEWSKI: I just know that they have a really good team, and that's what we're trying to beat tomorrow. So, yeah. Are you writing a gossip column now? Has the New York Times gone to that? Are there not other stories, other leads (smiling). All right"

Good luck to Duke in the Final Four. Hope to see you next year in Houston again for a rematch.

Cheshire Bear.
03-29-2010, 06:23 PM
Acy isn't intimidated and plays with a chip on his shoulder. He plays angry and if he does something, he's the type to let you know. With that said, he's a good guy and normally can keep it under control. I'm sure he was just a little frustrated in knowing that our season was about to be over. He's very intense and very intimidating to most other teams. Respect to Zoubek for stepping in front of him and getting the charge. Most Big 12 big men would've moved out of the way. I think he's posterized every big in the conference at this point haha.

We have a high character team. All of them are good guys and good players. We're proud of our bunch and it feels good to know that others are recognizing it, too. All the kinds words are much appreciated.

npdevil27
03-29-2010, 06:47 PM
Not sure if it's been mentioned yet, but I really gained a lot of respect for Drew after the technical was called on Acy - he didn't flip out or berate the refs or any other such nonsense that a lot of other coaches probably would have resorted to.
So hats off to Drew on his composure and class in that situation.

chrishoke
03-29-2010, 07:03 PM
Great thread. I watched the presser live and was moved and impressed. Fierce competition, great sportsmanship. Props to Baylor and their fans.

Dukie@Wake
03-29-2010, 08:43 PM
Anyone think Coach Drew and Jim Nance could pass for brothers? BU will be a consistent force in the Big XII for years to come.

Newton_14
03-29-2010, 09:05 PM
I was really impressed with the Baylor team as well. First off, from a basketball standpoint, they have one heckuva team. IMO that is the best team we have played all year hands down, no contest. It took an incredible effort from our guys to pull out the win.

I went to GoDuke.com and read the entire post-game pressers from both squads. I came away respecting the heck out of Drew, his kids and the program. Drew appears to be a man of great faith and instills that in his players. I applaud him for that and for the post-game prayer at midcourt and asking the opposing team to join in. I think that is great. Not sure if our guys joined in that or if they were still celebrating but hope they joined in.

I have a new team to root for in the Big 12 and hope that they can build on this season and become a solid program year in and year out. College basketball needs more programs like Baylor.

ElCid
03-29-2010, 09:26 PM
A lot of that "smoke" is whining from Ricky Barnes--who has, coincidentally I'm sure, lost his last four games to the Bears.

I second that. Having some insight into the AAU scene here in Dallas and having seen Drew in action personally,it's bs. It's overpaid coaches feeling the heat at UT and Kansas.

But let's point out a few things: There is a lot on the line if Drew were to ever be caught cheating. He'd be running the risk of getting the program the vaunted 'death penalty'. That would get him a lifetime ban from college coaching and it would cause the school to suffer millions in financial losses.
So the downside to him going the illegal route is enormous. For any sane person, the risk of getting caught paying a player even a modest amount for that amount of downside risk would just be nuts. Would you risk $10k to potentially lose $10 million? Drew knews that, he's been told that by the administration, and there are too many eyes watching for a sane person to take that kind of risk. With that kind of potential downside, he'd have to be desperate.

There is a great story to the 'smoke' rumors, but unfortunately,the story is is simply this: Inviting an up-and-comer like Scott Drew to come play in your league and then having him embarrass you puts you in a bad light in your donor community. That's the only story the facts support.

Really, are Rick Barnes/Bill Self worth more than $2 mil a piece?

If you really want to know how he recruits, I'll just tell you this: He's corny, personal, and a tad bit evangelist.

I don't know that he's a good recruiter per se, but I will tell you that it exposes quite a few coaches for being flat out lazy when it comes to recruiting.

oso diablo
03-29-2010, 10:46 PM
would love to see a regular Duke-Baylor series

jkidd31
03-29-2010, 11:05 PM
Udoh is a badI'm a real wanker for saying this.I'm a real wanker for saying this.I'm a real wanker for saying this.I'm a real wanker for saying this.I'm a real wanker for saying this.. Not quite to the Nate James level, but still. Makes you wonder what might have been if Michigan had given Tommy another seaon or two. It's not like Beliehn have been tearing it up in Ann Arbor.

JaMarcus Russell
03-29-2010, 11:55 PM
I went to GoDuke.com and read the entire post-game pressers from both squads. I came away respecting the heck out of Drew, his kids and the program.

Do you have a link to this by any chance? I went to the site, and I didn't see any post-game interviews or transcripts. Since I didn't watch ESPN News after the game, I still have no idea what anyone said after the game. I also didn't get to see our guys cutting down the nets.

-bdbd
03-30-2010, 12:28 AM
Just read the Baylor fan link. Decent thread that, subbing "Devils" for "Bears", you could generally see that sort of discussion string here. Mostly reasonable, decent comments. Obviously a couple sour grapes - to be expected after a tough loss - but after seeing some of their posters who came over to comment on DBR before the game, and those after, plus the good character and play by Udoh, Dunn, et al, I think that I'll be rooting for Baylor in the future. I can also give Acy a small 'pass' on the T given the timing - as they were about to lose, and that (not knowing Jon) his elbows-swing could have been misperceived as ill-intended, and that there was really no harm done by Acy (really hurt his own team mostly).

I think Drew will be seen more of in the future (in a very good way).

And I'm pretty confident we'll be seeing a couple of those players in the League in the future.

On to Indy Devils!!

:D

BearlyHere
03-30-2010, 07:31 AM
Makes you wonder what might have been if Michigan had given Tommy another seaon or two. It's not like Beliehn have been tearing it up in Ann Arbor.

They didn't want him to take part in the offense much. He's pretty good within 15', and can even shoot an occasional three (as he did double teamed against Hartford for the win).

I would also like to see Baylor and Duke schedule some OOC action.

Anyway, at least the Lady Bears won (although I'm not sure how).

Good Luck in Indy.

Andre Buckner Fan
03-30-2010, 10:41 AM
A lot of that "smoke" is whining from Ricky Barnes--who has, coincidentally I'm sure, lost his last four games to the Bears. There isn't any evidence of "cutting corners" in Drew's recruiting, but there is evidence of a lot of hard work.

Coach K put NYT resident gossip columnist Thayer Evans in his place when asked about Drew's "reputation."

I love it when Coach K calls out the media for being dumb. :D

ElCid
03-30-2010, 11:02 AM
you could generally see that sort of discussion string here. Mostly reasonable, decent comments.

Shocker, ain't it?

We share a conference with some real brain trusts, lemme tell ya. You Duke fans don't know the pain!

That's what made this game enjoyable. Just two good coaches with a solid group of athletes going toe-to-toe. Dare I call them 'student-athletes?' Such a rarity these days....gotta enjoy it when you see it.

There are a whole generation of Baylor fans that are accustomed to playing Iowa State, Oklahoma State, Texas Tech. I don't have to single them out for having lower academic standards, other conference presidents do that for me.(See quote from Mizzou president). But my point is that I think playing Duke was a great experience for Baylor fans, because they see how the bar can be raised.

I think it's in both our best interests to compete against each other more frequently than we have as of late.

ReformedAggie
03-30-2010, 11:23 AM
As re a regular Duke/Baylor game serious - I dunno Bears, you guys scare the heck out of me and I "watched" most of the game with a pillow over my face :)
Class coach, class team, and good luck with all opponents except, of course, Duke.

cnote
03-30-2010, 03:50 PM
guys, just wanted to add to the 'great experience' column that I had interacting with Duke fans in Houston this past weekend.

Had the pleasure of being with a few of my friends at a Houston establishment during the UK-WVU game, and the table next to us were some Blue Devils who had flown in from California. Incredibly nice guys, with a very high basketball IQ.

I don't think you guys, coming from the basketball-loving ACC, could possibly understand how miserable it can be at times to be an enormous basketball fan, in the same conference as Texas A&M, Texas Tech, Oklahoma and the University of Texas and their fans. People down here are primarily football first, so when they try to pipe in on a sport they do not know much about, and attempt to talk loads of trash.. to say the least, it becomes quite frustrating lol.

Seriously tho, was raised watching you guys... and I still have a great disdain for Scottie Thurman for that rainbow in 94. You guys were class all the way, and hearing Coach K give us props in the media has been wonderful. As pointed out on here, Rick Barnes is on a mission right now to drag Drew's name through the mud as much as possible. As many of the reporters not deep into the pockets of UT have pointed out, 'if he does such dirty things, why aren't you going to the NCAA with it instead of the press?'

Case with that is, Barnes has had about as much talent as anyone in the nation the last several years, and manages to do not much with it. Losing to a team you're not supposed to 4 times in a row, will cause you to start pointing fingers, hoping someone will throw some ice on your hot seat.

Hope you guys don't mind me coming around some, I'm always looking for a good place to talk some hoops.

Indoor66
03-30-2010, 04:10 PM
Hope you guys don't mind me coming around some, I'm always looking for a good place to talk some hoops.

We always welcome another rational BB fan. Come on down....

DukieInKansas
03-30-2010, 04:11 PM
guys, just wanted to add to the 'great experience' column that I had interacting with Duke fans in Houston this past weekend.

Had the pleasure of being with a few of my friends at a Houston establishment during the UK-WVU game, and the table next to us were some Blue Devils who had flown in from California. Incredibly nice guys, with a very high basketball IQ.

I don't think you guys, coming from the basketball-loving ACC, could possibly understand how miserable it can be at times to be an enormous basketball fan, in the same conference as Texas A&M, Texas Tech, Oklahoma and the University of Texas and their fans. People down here are primarily football first, so when they try to pipe in on a sport they do not know much about, and attempt to talk loads of trash.. to say the least, it becomes quite frustrating lol.

Seriously tho, was raised watching you guys... and I still have a great disdain for Scottie Thurman for that rainbow in 94. You guys were class all the way, and hearing Coach K give us props in the media has been wonderful. As pointed out on here, Rick Barnes is on a mission right now to drag Drew's name through the mud as much as possible. As many of the reporters not deep into the pockets of UT have pointed out, 'if he does such dirty things, why aren't you going to the NCAA with it instead of the press?'

Case with that is, Barnes has had about as much talent as anyone in the nation the last several years, and manages to do not much with it. Losing to a team you're not supposed to 4 times in a row, will cause you to start pointing fingers, hoping someone will throw some ice on your hot seat.

Welcome, cnote. Hope to see you often - and to see Baylor do well in the Big 12.