PDA

View Full Version : Lance Thomas appreciation

dukelifer
03-28-2010, 09:34 PM
Probably no one on this team has gotten less exposure on this team lately than Lance Thomas. Well, tonight Lance was the difference. Here is a player- who has embraced a role of being a defensive stopper and an energy guy. He is the consummate glue guy- he got three tough boards for extra possessions and a follow jam that saved the game for Duke. Lance has been a warrior and is as tough as they come. He found his role on this team of stars- he has done everything asked of him- and I for one am extremely happy for this guy.

scottdude8
03-28-2010, 09:43 PM
As much as I love Lance, and as great as he was on defense, I have to disagree that he was "the difference" tonight. Again, while his defense was fantastic and much needed, his continued propensity to force up bad shots down low, especially against the best shot-blocker in the nation in Udoh, was very frustrating, and really was a problem for our offense. If he had kicked out a few of those offensive rebounds we could've gotten much better looks... obviously it didn't end up hurting us, but it was frustrating to say the least.

dukestheheat
03-28-2010, 09:45 PM
THANK YOU LANCE and you were great tonight; I think your rebound dunk was one of the best plays of the game for Duke and it was a real momentum builder for the team. Your energy and commitment on that play helped make the difference for Duke tonight. Also, you had a couple rebounds and kick outs that helped the others hit threes!

Thank you so much for your efforts!

dukestheheat.

Grey Devil
03-28-2010, 09:45 PM
Lance doesn't get the recognition he deserves. That guy is a beast! I love his attitude. Coach K often talks about how much he loves this team because they play together so well and they care so much for each other (maybe it's the players that say that). From where I'm watching Lance's personality is is the primary reason for that. Just watch him (only him) sometime during a game. He's always enthusiastic, slapping teammates on the back, cheering them on, getting in their face when they need it. Most of the rest of their personalities seem relatively laid back to me, compared to Lance. (Not knocking being laid back -- you've got to have cool characters in the pressure situations they are all in.)

Lance is the MAN!

Grey Devil

dukelifer
03-28-2010, 09:46 PM
As much as I love Lance, and as great as he was on defense, I have to disagree that he was "the difference" tonight. Again, while his defense was fantastic and much needed, his continued propensity to force up bad shots down low, especially against the best shot-blocker in the nation in Udoh, was very frustrating, and really was a problem for our offense. If he had kicked out a few of those offensive rebounds we could've gotten much better looks... obviously it didn't end up hurting us, but it was frustrating to say the least.

Well he figured it out in the last 2 minutes- he kicked them all out.

Kedsy
03-28-2010, 09:55 PM

Well, we were trailing by a point toward the end of the game and on three consecutive possessions he got a big offensive rebound. Twice he did, in fact, kick it out to teammates who hit three-pointers, and the third time he dunked the putback, got fouled and made the free throw. Those three o-board conversions brought us from down 1 to up 8, and we won by 7. I think that's what the original poster meant when he said Lance was the difference, your personal frustration notwithstanding.

killerleft
03-28-2010, 09:57 PM

Yeah, Lance needs that scolding after his great role in the Duke win today:rolleyes:. Nothing like bringing a man's man back down to Earth after he worked hard enough to burst the heart of a buffalo.

Good work, scottdude!

strawbs
03-28-2010, 09:59 PM
i honestly was pissed with lance tonight until that put back dunk. I thought he played a horrible first half, he was soft with the ball, and other then the dunk in the first minute of the game looked bad. Then I looked at the box scores and saw that he had 8 offensive rebounds. I guess i was too much of a nervous wreck throughout the game to realize what a great contribution he was making on the glass. Nice second half LT!

moonpie23
03-28-2010, 10:01 PM
his continued propensity to force up bad shots down low, especially against the best shot-blocker in the nation in Udoh, was very frustrating, and really was a problem for our offense. If he had kicked out a few of those offensive rebounds we could've gotten much better looks... obviously it didn't end up hurting us, but it was frustrating to say the least.

did you miss the title of the thread? buzz-stripper !!!

DevilHorns
03-28-2010, 10:02 PM
i honestly was pissed with lance tonight until that put back dunk. I thought he played a horrible first half, he was soft with the ball, and other then the dunk in the first minute of the game looked bad. Then I looked at the box scores and saw that he had 8 offensive rebounds. I guess i was too much of a nervous wreck throughout the game to realize what a great contribution he was making on the glass. Nice second half LT!

For any other team, his energy on the glass and the automatic impulse to go back up with it is THE RIGHT PLAY. Baylor could just flat out block. His put back dunk-and-1 got me the loudest i was all night. I think for me that was when I knew it was ours.

scottdude8
03-28-2010, 10:04 PM
Wasn't trying to "scold" Lance as one of you said... just wanted to put the whole game in perspective. I agree Lance was the man in the last five minutes, especially after Zoubs fouled out... but again, his poor choices on the offensive end (at least in the first half, I agree he was much better in the 2nd) were part of the reason we were down 3 at half.

But again, to clarify, I love Lance, I love his defense, I love his intensity... I just don't think it is fair to say he was "the difference" tonight given his immense struggles offensively in the 1st half.

Vincetaylor
03-28-2010, 10:04 PM
ESPN has Lance with 8 offensive rebounds!! Think about how many points came from those rebounds. Huge game for Lance tonight. Huge. Sure he made some mistakes, but so did everyone else...except for maybe Nolan.

AZLA
03-28-2010, 10:05 PM
Lance's play was stunning and came at the right time Duke needed it most. I was astonished as to how quickly and high he jumped through the crowd and even more awestruck by his ability to finish even while taking a solid hack to his right arm. For some reason I was reminded of Battier in 2001 against Arizona, emerging from the scrum with a twisting backhanded tip in. Maybe it was the timing late in a tight game or just that it was completely unexpected. Either way, Thomas (and Zoubek), despite a few struggles today, exemplified the heart that gets teams to the Final Four. Great job, Lance!

Newton_14
03-28-2010, 10:07 PM

Well here is the thing. Lance has been much maligned and criticized forever, yet the +/- numbers consistently show we are a much better team with him on the floor, but that is not my main point. The main point is this is an appreciation thread for Lance, so it is not a thread to point out shortcomings. Give the guy props for a change. He was absolutely a difference in this game and had he not made the 3 plays Kedsy pointed out, we likely do not win that game today.

Way to go Lance! Your plays today helped push the team over the hurdle! Your reward is a free trip for you and your teammates to the Final Four!!

sweetchiba51
03-28-2010, 10:07 PM
Funny how much folks were trashing the guy the whole game on these boards, then he does what he has been doing all year like: rebounding, making key plays, defense, etc...and here comes all of this love. Folks, Lance is a role player not an offensive juggernat...His performance tonight is no different than any other night....You know what you are going to get out of him....heart, toughness, passion, and the will to win...If anyone on this board who trash talks Lance can show proof that they have done better or had the privilage to wear D U K E across thier chest by all means proove it....The kid deserves better treatment...

GO DUKE!

Dr. Tina
03-28-2010, 10:08 PM
Thank you, LT....your 7 points and 9 rebounds (8 offensive!!!) were big for us, especially those last 3...resulting in 2 3's and a slamdunk by you! I have enjoyed listening to your NCAA tournament interviews because you are so hungry and driven. You won't accept anything less than a championship and it shows!

DukeDevilDeb
03-28-2010, 10:09 PM
For any other team, his energy on the glass and the automatic impulse to go back up with it is THE RIGHT PLAY. Baylor could just flat out block. His put back dunk-and-1 got me the loudest i was all night. I think for me that was when I knew it was ours.

When Lance hit the dunk, then the and one... I knew we were going to do it. He is a terrific teammate and a super kid. I have had him in class twice (as a sophomore and a senior), and he has matured in ways I didn't know were possible. If I could, I would delete scottdude8's comment because it has no place on a thread in which we are praising one of our three great seniors.

Lance has been terrific all tournament. I've never seen a kid work harder or give more... He isn't a three point shooter or a dribble-driver... he just goes after the ball like his life depends on it. And those three offensive rebounds that he kicked out to the three-boys... well, those were absolutely huge in putting Baylor away! :)

WE'RE GOING TO INDY!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

DukeGirl4ever
03-28-2010, 10:09 PM
UGH! Negativity....grr...

Lance Thomas, in my eyes, is the reason we won that basketball game! Yes, Nolan and Jon made shots down the stretch, but how in God's name do you think we had those 2nd chance opportunities?

It was a total team effort tonight, as always, which is why I no longer can vote for MOTM - this team is functioning as one single unit, no one more important than the other (hey, we are going to Indy, and Hoosiers is the greatest movie ever made) :D

I still have no idea how Lance came up with those boards/loose balls, but this lady is VERY happy and APPRECIATIVE that he did.

BlueintheFace
03-28-2010, 10:13 PM
Battier-tip-esque

rfaison
03-28-2010, 10:40 PM
Battier-tip-esque PERFECT! Isn't it FABULOUS to have so many memories of players and games from our Duke past?! What a blessing to have such fun for so many years ...

DukieInBrasil
03-28-2010, 10:41 PM
I too was frustrated with LT consistently getting blocked for much of the game, not so much for the blocks but for not realizing that he was trying to go back up on one of the best shot-blockers in the country. But to his immense credit, he did figure it out and started making the right plays, in fact as Kedsy pointed out, he was part of all of the big plays near the end that pulled us from down one to up 7 or 8. I nearly jumped out out of my skin on his follow-dunk, with the and-one? AWESOME. I apologized on the in-game thread for my negativity during the game. Here, I have to offer praise, b/c there is a very real possibility that this team would not be going to Indy if LT hadn't been a player making the plays (as K likes to say) that won the game. Of all the guys on the team, LT probably gets the least love, which is a shame b/c he does so much of the effort stuff that every great team needs in order to be great. It's too early to tell if this team is "great", but w/o LT our season might be over already, having fallen short of greatness. Even if I don't trust LT's offense so much, I have complete trust that LT is going to do everything in his power to help get the team the W. Go LT!!! Go Duke!!!

Dukeknights
03-28-2010, 10:41 PM
i really get frustrated when he continuslously gets blocked every play LOL.

but every night he is great defensively and rebouding wise.

weezie
03-28-2010, 11:15 PM
No, no...being there and watching what he did.... kept the big guys calm and focused, encouraged the Plum trees, kept Baylor on it's heels...
our Lance made it possible for Nolan and Jon to create their shots and when it was over, LT spoke so eloquently, was so poised and gracious...it makes my eyes tear up.
We've watched him grow so much in these past four years!
Go Lance, GO!!!!!!!!

greybeard
03-28-2010, 11:19 PM
Yeah, Lance needs that scolding after his great role in the Duke win today:rolleyes:. Nothing like bringing a man's man back down to Earth after he worked hard enough to burst the heart of a buffalo.

Good work, scottdude!

This was great! Cuddos Killerleft.

And scottdude, it didn't hurt for Lance to test the guy early. Had Lance been able to draw a foul or two, and how "they" decide what is and is not a foul on those plays inside beats me, it would have been huge. I think you have to test the guy.

Great game by Lance. Great on the ball defense, better in help defense, and insanely daring in making plays on the ball and being effective. Experience of a senior who has been through the wars and brought a set to Duke that was impressive coming in and that gets expressed every once in a while in a truly standout ways. The qualities that made Lance a highly tauted prospect coming in, the subtle things that make a guy a winner, shine through. Why does he even try to make those plays? Maybe he learned something about how inside play with the hands was being called or not earlier. In any case, great game, great daring, great will to win.

killerleft
03-29-2010, 09:34 AM
This was great! Cuddos Killerleft.

And scottdude, it didn't hurt for Lance to test the guy early. Had Lance been able to draw a foul or two, and how "they" decide what is and is not a foul on those plays inside beats me, it would have been huge. I think you have to test the guy.

Great game by Lance. Great on the ball defense, better in help defense, and insanely daring in making plays on the ball and being effective. Experience of a senior who has been through the wars and brought a set to Duke that was impressive coming in and that gets expressed every once in a while in a truly standout ways. The qualities that made Lance a highly tauted prospect coming in, the subtle things that make a guy a winner, shine through. Why does he even try to make those plays? Maybe he learned something about how inside play with the hands was being called or not earlier. In any case, great game, great daring, great will to win.

Thanks. Some people just do not realize how important players like Lance and Zoubs are to a REAL team. Lance was every bit as important to our win as even Nolan.

Coach K has made a living getting the most out of his players. All of his players! Lance has become a real force for Duke. I'd certainly rather have him on my team than a co-ACC POY such as Joe Forte (what a joke!).

davekay1971
03-29-2010, 09:39 AM
Great thread. Lance is one of those guys that Coach K always seems to find and develop, who's absolutely 100% about team. He's dedicated his college career to defense, rebounding, frequently playing the other team's biggest guy when he was completely outsized (you know, back when Z had injury issues). Whetever your definition of a glue-guy, Lance is it.

Lance, Zoubs and Scheyer all deserve to have the kind of success they've had this year.

NSDukeFan
03-30-2010, 04:47 PM
Thanks. Some people just do not realize how important players like Lance and Zoubs are to a REAL team. Lance was every bit as important to our win as even Nolan.

Coach K has made a living getting the most out of his players. All of his players! Lance has become a real force for Duke. I'd certainly rather have him on my team than a co-ACC POY such as Joe Forte (what a joke!).

I couldn't agree more. This Coach K guy knows a bit about what he is doing and has started Lance 99 times in his career. Lance will start his 100th game for Duke in the final four! I would guess the team has won at least 80 of those. Not a great statistical career like Jon's, but to be a very solid contributor to a team that has won over 110 games is a nice legacy. Maybe there is more to this basketball than how many times you score. Thank you Lance for doing all the little things that help a team win.

OldPhiKap
03-30-2010, 04:56 PM
Sign me up. Lance brings the intensity and mentality every game.

Wander
03-30-2010, 05:03 PM
I'm sure some will think this is going a bit overboard, but IF (and it's a huge if) we win the national championship, I might put the top plays in Duke basketball history as something like:

1 The Shot against Kentucky
2 Hurley 3 against UNLV
3 Dunleavy triple 3s against Arizona
4 Battier tap against Arizona
5 Lance Thomas two offensive rebounds against Baylor (the dunk and the missed Nolan free throw)