PDA

View Full Version : Tourney commercial you're sickest of?

TNDukeFan
03-28-2010, 03:19 PM
It's easy for me:
1. Chad Ocho Cinco sports drink with the inane kids' music
2. Southwest Airlines - bare men's chests

Welcome2DaSlopes
03-28-2010, 03:21 PM
HAHAHA Great Thread, way to many to mention for me though.

Richard Berg
03-28-2010, 03:24 PM
I've had the "five dollar foot-longs" song stuck in my head for better than a week now... :(

wilko
03-28-2010, 03:25 PM
I love them all as long as Duke keeps winning...

i havent even noticed the Chad 85 one to tell the truth..

I like the Bags fly Free one.... butt then I used to moon people so what do I know..

I like the vitamin water with the pillow head dude.
However my most fave is the Bouncy girl in the red dress shoe shooping while making a call. My 7 yo called her a hot chick so how can you go wrong?

TNDukeFan
03-28-2010, 03:27 PM
"Bouncy" is one of the most appropriate adjectives I've read lately...:D

CameronBornAndBred
03-28-2010, 03:28 PM
The autotuned bud light commercial.

DukieBoy
03-28-2010, 03:30 PM
It's got to be the baggage men from the airline flashing the airplane. It was ok the first time, but entirely annoying by now

Dr. Tina
03-28-2010, 03:31 PM
I'm sick of just about all of the commercials being featured on MMOD.

94duke
03-28-2010, 03:37 PM
the hp ads are just plain dumb.

basket1544
03-28-2010, 03:39 PM

This is the one commercial on that I can't stand. I grab the mute button every time it comes on.

Welcome2DaSlopes
03-28-2010, 03:40 PM

HAHA that's probably the only one I like.

Jderf
03-28-2010, 03:46 PM
I'm considering purchasing Lipitor just because of seeing the commercial so many times... maybe after I buy myself a pair of those ochocinco shoes. Does anyone else think there is something inherently wrong with advertising for prescription drugs?

Merlindevildog91
03-28-2010, 03:46 PM

The guy is throwing a party with only a six-pack? Shades of college!

I do like the Bud Light commercial where the engaged couple is picking out "their" china and the groom-to-be scans case after case of beer for their wedding gift list. Wish my cousin who's getting married in the fall would let her fiance do this. It'd be a lot more palatable to buy a case of beer than a thousand-dollar gravy boat.

TNDukeFan
03-28-2010, 03:49 PM
... maybe after I buy myself a pair of those ochocinco shoes.

Shows you how annoying it is, I forgot what they were even selling.

Jim3k
03-28-2010, 03:50 PM
AXE deodorant -- with the hose-water armpits.

Welcome2DaSlopes
03-28-2010, 03:52 PM

I hate the body wash commercial when all that stuff falls in the shower.

OldSchool
03-28-2010, 03:54 PM

Yeah, that's the worst.

On the other hand I'm still searching for that Taco Bell with all the hot models working behind the counter...

94duke
03-28-2010, 03:55 PM
I hate the body wash commercial when all that stuff falls in the shower.

Man, I like that one. :)

Kdogg
03-28-2010, 03:59 PM
I've had the "five dollar foot-longs" song stuck in my head for better than a week now... :(

I still have the Isuzu Amigo commercial (1998) set to the Slinky song in my head. They played that commercial four to six times an hour.

DevilHorns
03-28-2010, 04:04 PM
The cokezero mascot cam!!! newsflash coke corporation, UNC is not in the tourney. stop using this dumb commercial!

BD80
03-28-2010, 04:06 PM

Does anyone like this commercial?

CAN anyone like this commercial?

I can't believe someone even suggested the concept, let alone having the concept make it all the way to the screen during some pricey ad time.

3rd Dukie
03-28-2010, 04:09 PM

THIS!!!! By a mile.
Assuming this is the same as the synthesizer or whatever it is. That commercial should be against the law and used at Gitmo to make the terrorists talk.

In second place would be ANY census commercial.

Eckster
03-28-2010, 04:10 PM
It's got to be the baggage men from the airline flashing the airplane. It was ok the first time, but entirely annoying by now

That's the one that that I've been pushing mute for. Annoying indeed.

Welcome2DaSlopes
03-28-2010, 04:12 PM
Does anyone like this commercial?

CAN anyone like this commercial?

I can't believe someone even suggested the concept, let alone having the concept make it all the way to the screen during some pricey ad time.

If it's the one I'm thinking of then I find it kind of funny.

SCMatt33
03-28-2010, 04:29 PM
the hp ads are just plain dumb.

If you're talking about the ones with Rhys Darby (the guy from New Zealand who was in "Flight of the Conchords"), I have to disagree. I think he (and New Zealand accents in general) are hilarious. If you haven't and ever get the chance, watch him in that show (it was on HBO for two seasons), he's the best part.

Orange&BlackSheep
03-28-2010, 04:33 PM
I want to kill the guy that likes the "3 pointer" ....

RoyalBlue08
03-28-2010, 04:35 PM
I'm getting pretty sick of the Census ads. I wish I didn't already mail it in or else I would throw it out just to protest them advertising so often.

Greg_Newton
03-28-2010, 04:39 PM
If you're talking about the ones with Rhys Darby (the guy from New Zealand who was in "Flight of the Conchords"), I have to disagree. I think he (and New Zealand accents in general) are hilarious. If you haven't and ever get the chance, watch him in that show (it was on HBO for two seasons), he's the best part.

I have to admit, the one where he visits the shipping warehouse makes me laugh ("Roight, roight, I suppose you get the full business process optimization from that there...").

Richard Berg
03-28-2010, 04:50 PM
I think the Census ads are actually pretty good. US .gov ads are usually far worse. They did a good job not being "out of touch" / big brotherish while still hitting a variety of target demos with just 2 ads.

The one with the lovely lady walking around the city playing air-phone is nice. Ok, not really. Just the actress. And her boots. Well dressed, mmmm.

Andre Buckner Fan
03-28-2010, 04:53 PM

I love that show! The ads are only good because Rhys Darby is in them...

Duke79UNLV77
03-28-2010, 04:55 PM
Hello, Enterprise, I'm at the Repair Shop.
(1995 called. It wants its commercial back.)

The Taco Bell shrimp blogger.
(Too absurdly unbelievable.)

BlueandWhite
03-28-2010, 05:39 PM
THIS!!!! By a mile.
Assuming this is the same as the synthesizer or whatever it is. That commercial should be against the law and used at Gitmo to make the terrorists talk.

In second place would be ANY census commercial.

Agree with both of the above, also the AXE ad.

Re: the US Census ad bombardment...our tax dollars being spent for this?

hc5duke
03-28-2010, 05:44 PM
volkswagen. bring back "unpimp zee auto".

94duke
03-28-2010, 06:00 PM
volkswagen. bring back "unpimp zee auto".

It's punch-"bug" not punch-"any darn VW we see."

theAlaskanBear
03-28-2010, 06:10 PM
Hate the airline commercial. Hate the Taco Bell commercials. Hate the time warner commercials, BECAUSE THIS IS THE WORST CABLE EXPERIENCE I HAVE EVER HAD WITH TIME WARNER.

Haha, but back to the Tube. GOOOOOOOO DUKE!

pfrduke
03-28-2010, 07:01 PM
I would not like to meet the VW guy's sister. That's all I'm saying.

bluedevil2012
03-28-2010, 07:33 PM
The infiniti commercial, "roy williams inspiration"

Underdog5
03-28-2010, 07:39 PM
...where the guy attacks his friend.

brevity
03-28-2010, 07:42 PM
Before the tournament started I would have guaranteed 2 things:

1. All the 1 seeds would win the first round.
2. The nation would be tired of Luke Wilson.

Surprisingly, AT&T's commercials haven't been as annoying as I thought they would be. They've shown a variety of his ads over the past few weeks so we wouldn't get tired of seeing the same one over and over. (Hint, hint, Southwest.) Even people on this thread have overlooked him.

You really have to consider this a shocker of Northern Iowa levels. I was prepared to add Luke Wilson to the Hall of Fame of NCAA Tournament overexposure, currently headed by Bob Seger and the Pennzoil voiceover guy.

To answer the initial question, I vote for the HP ads. They aren't bad, but they bring the flow of the telecast to a screeching halt. And they feel twice as long as they are.

Welcome2DaSlopes
03-28-2010, 07:43 PM
...where the guy attacks his friend.

OMG co sign, one of the dummest i've seen all year.

hc5duke
03-28-2010, 07:57 PM
2. The nation would be tired of Luke Wilson.

this at&t vs verizon pissing contest has made me vow never to watch another movie with luke wilson.

why can't we have more catherine zeta jones t-mobile commercials?

4decadedukie
03-28-2010, 08:15 PM
Vikings - credit card series.

biscuit30
03-28-2010, 08:24 PM
The Buffalo Wild Wings commercials have to go. They never show the food and the place isn't that great anyway.

cptnflash
03-28-2010, 08:30 PM
Any/all of the Enterprise Rent-a-Car commercials. I can just imagine the director saying, "OK, we're gonna do another take... try to smile even wider this time, there were a couple of your teeth that I couldn't see on that last one."

Matches
03-28-2010, 08:32 PM
Three words: Bags. Fly. Free.

cspan37421
03-28-2010, 08:46 PM
For me it's that annoying State Farm guy who, in at least one of the commercials, constantly interrupts the State Farm agent.

And I don't care how many drivers you guys have!

Richard Berg
03-28-2010, 09:02 PM
The Taco Bell shrimp blogger.
(Too absurdly unbelievable.)
Listen closely. The blogger's last line is "I had to try it." Mum's the word on what he thought of the experience.

It's believable all right.

Dukie@Wake
03-28-2010, 09:08 PM
The cokezero mascot cam!!! newsflash coke corporation, UNC is not in the tourney. stop using this dumb commercial!

Absolutely. Maybe Luke Wilson can book tickets to the NIT Final four as well...:D

Grey Devil
03-28-2010, 09:31 PM
Not to sound too arrogant or anything, but I have a Tivo and never have to see any stupid (or even intelligent) commercials. I highly recommend it to everyone and anyone.

And for those who have to see the game from the opening tip, I just say "you get what you pay for." I wait until approximately 40-45 minutes after the scheduled tip-off time, turn on my recording of the game, zap through all the commercials and half time (well sometimes I watch some of the half time highlights), stop and play back outstanding plays all I want (in slow motion, too, so I can see how it really went, compared to the commentators). I usually catch up in time for the last four minutes of live action, so I can still get the adrenaline rush of the suspenseful last few minutes (assuming they are suspenseful). Plus I have it to watch again later after I've read all the comments you guys make and I get to see who really knows what they're talking about. (Usually Jumbo is the one who gets it right!)

Try it. You'll like it.

Grey Devil

SharkD
03-28-2010, 10:50 PM
Taco Bell's "shrimp blogger." Whichever ad exec thought this up should be shot. Anyone who feels compelled to eat "shellfish" from Taco Bell deserves whatever intestinal parasites they contract. Their "beef" is bad enough.

State Farm commercial where the guy is making fun of Geico and Progressive as he walks into a cafe. First, there's the guy at the table who makes the "funny" face at the camera, then the cameraman gets distracted by the mildly attractive waitstaff while Mr. I'm Too Smug for My Own Pants keeps yammering away about how every other insurance company sucks.

Pacific Life whales dancing. I hated this commercial last year, too, if for no other reason that the crappy "pep band" music that sounds like it was composed on an old-school NES console.

AT&T's "Did you see dat!? He did not just dunk on my guy!" So the dorky, "white sounding" black guy (in suspenders and a tie, no less) is lame because he doesn't have AT&T and can't annoy the strangers around him 200% more since he can't have a loud speakerphone conversation and watch full motion video clips at the same time, like all his "urban" friends, eh? AT&T seems to enjoy ethnic stereotypes.

The Masters. A tradition, repeated ad nauseam, like no other.
Southwest's Braveheart tribute bags fly free. I'm pretty sure it's a pastiche on the scene in which William Wallace's forces lift their kilts and flash the English.

Also in that commercial, but not in the tourney: UCONN.

I imagine that some Coke marketing executive bangs his head against his desk until he loses consciousness, every time that ad airs, distraught over the millions of dollars spent advertising their brand with not one, but two teams that failed to make the tournament field.

--

However my most fave is the Bouncy girl in the red dress shoe shooping while making a call. My 7 yo called her a hot chick so how can you go wrong?
I'm a big fan of the girl in the red dress and boots, or to be more precise, I'm a big fan of her hips and the way she uses them.

BDevilU
03-28-2010, 10:59 PM
B-A-G-S F-L-Y F-R-E-E

*gags*

"I wear no pants!" is also really, really disturbing.

Shirtless dudes and pantless dudes. Never a good thing while trying to watch a game.

Now, if there were ladies starring in these commercials....

DukeCO2009
03-28-2010, 11:03 PM
He's Henry, Clay Henry
He's a fireman and a Jared fan fr...

Whoops, wrong year.

mgtr
03-28-2010, 11:03 PM
Well, I am definitely tired of the Coke Zero schtick, and of the anti-Geico/Progessive commercials. But I am getting to really, really hate the Southwest Airlines commerical. C'mon guys -- if you are doing a major NCAA buy, you need more than two commericals. On the other side, I love the Acura ZDX commercial, largely because of the son "Pa' Bailar". Took a bit of research to figure that one out. Neat song.

BD80
03-28-2010, 11:23 PM
Southwest's Braveheart tribute bags fly free. I'm pretty sure it's a pastiche on the scene in which William Wallace's forces lift their kilts and flash the English.

... .

Ohhhhhhh. Kinda sad when that has to be explained.

Matches
03-29-2010, 08:34 AM
[list=1]
AT&T's "Did you see dat!? He did not just dunk on my guy!" So the dorky, "white sounding" black guy (in suspenders and a tie, no less) is lame because he doesn't have AT&T and can't annoy the strangers around him 200% more since he can't have a loud speakerphone conversation [i]and

Yes! This one is totally ridiculous. The commercial is misleading because it makes it appear that these folks are actually watching a game live in unison. It sells it as if watching highlights is some sort of social experience. Do all those people not already know who won the game? Can the dude who has to hang up to download highlights not just watch them in a few minutes (most likely after AT&T drops all his friends' calls)?

I also agree with those who are fans of the girl in the red dress. That's a nicely done spot.

CrazyNotCrazie
03-29-2010, 09:12 AM
Whoever does Capital One's advertising is just horrible. Their ads are terrible, and actually make me less inclined to use their product.

I also agree that the Chad Ocho Cinco ads are bad, particularly because I still have no idea what product they are marketing.

grossbus
03-29-2010, 09:18 AM
"I do like the Bud Light commercial where the engaged couple is picking out "their" china and the groom-to-be scans case after case of beer for their wedding gift list."

here is a case of bad marketing...the product is actually miller lite.

brevity
03-29-2010, 09:24 AM
I also agree with those who are fans of the girl in the red dress. That's a nicely done spot.

Palm commercial, red dress. Found it:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_1OHlFOee2w

moonpie23
03-29-2010, 09:30 AM
I wait until approximately 40-45 minutes after the scheduled tip-off time, turn on my recording of the game, zap through all the commercials and half time (well sometimes I watch some of the half time highlights), stop and play back outstanding plays all I want (in slow motion, too, so I can see how it really went, compared to the commentators). l

THIS.......is why we're getting off to slow STARTS GREY!!!!!
;)

you are LATE pulling your WEIGHT!!

if i'm not right there, rooting for the team from the git-go, i feel like we're not at full strength..... lol

DukieInKansas
03-29-2010, 10:02 AM

For some reason, that one makes me laugh the most. :D

DukieInKansas
03-29-2010, 10:05 AM

Thank you! It annoys me that they are punching for any VW seen. It's only for the Bugs. And Cruiser Bruisers - cuz you get to hit harder! ;) (Yes- I know Cruisers aren't VWs.)

pamtar
03-29-2010, 10:16 AM

Thank you.

noyac
03-29-2010, 11:16 AM
For me it's that annoying State Farm guy who, in at least one of the commercials, constantly interrupts the State Farm agent.

And I don't care how many drivers you guys have!

I agree it is the state farm series. He walks in to a cafe' spinning and talking about insurance. If you notice the guy sitting outside the cafe' looks at the camera like what the hell is this guy talking about.

hc5duke
03-29-2010, 12:17 PM
Palm commercial, red dress. Found it:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_1OHlFOee2w

much improvement from this palm pre commercial (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dKSD30jl_h0). still wouldn't touch a palm device with a 10-ft pole... been burned by palm too many times before, never again.

duke4life32182
03-29-2010, 12:22 PM
Gotta love the direct tv commercial now as John C was right, you don't have to look for the upsets. They find you.

ncexnyc
03-29-2010, 12:37 PM

ABSOLUTELY! This one is soooooooo gross. It's almost as gross as the radio commercial they keep playing here in Fayetteville for some pillow case, where the catch phrase is "Your sleeping with your head in the toilet."

UrinalCake
03-29-2010, 12:46 PM
I've been watching a lot of games at work using the online stream and have probably seen the Iron Man 2 trailer a hundred times. I still have no idea what the bad guy says. Something about sharks coming to a nascar race? I dunno.

Duke Mom
03-29-2010, 01:26 PM
Agree that all the commercials mentioned here are pretty annoying, but I do love both versions of this beer commercial - all done without a word being spoken.

- A couple sitting silently in beach chairs looking at the ocean, he turns away for a long stare at a hottie in a bikini - while she, still maintaining her straight ahead ocean gaze, picks up a lime wedge and squirts it on him.

- Same couple, but this time she takes a long look at another guy and while her head is turned, he vigorously shakes her beer bottle assuming it will make a big mess when she takes the cap off, but - when he turns away, clever girl takes his beer, instead.

nathancjack
03-29-2010, 01:29 PM
love the bouncy red girl - no idea what the ad is for

getting awfully tired of the skiing goat, but love the girls running on the beach

would be happy to pay for bags just to punish southwest

jump for the remote when the guy gets all excited, sings like peter frampton and calls his friends just because his wife brings home a six pack of miller/bud lite.

i cant get enough of the australian dude in the hp commercials, he's hilarious

gross, yes, but i think the arm pit hose ads are pretty funny

Matches
03-29-2010, 01:31 PM
I've been watching a lot of games at work using the online stream and have probably seen the Iron Man 2 trailer a hundred times. I still have no idea what the bad guy says. Something about sharks coming to a nascar race? I dunno.

Apparently Iron Man comes from "family of thieves and butchers".

The Losers ad during last night's game was pretty cool though.

Merlindevildog91
03-29-2010, 01:32 PM
"I do like the Bud Light commercial where the engaged couple is picking out "their" china and the groom-to-be scans case after case of beer for their wedding gift list."

here is a case of bad marketing...the product is actually miller lite.

Mea culpa. I don't drink beer. Rum yes, beer no.

cspan37421
03-29-2010, 01:35 PM
would be happy to pay for bags just to punish southwest

I agree it's an awful (and overplayed) commercial - but to me, their point is valid and notable. It's the way things used to be in airline travel (well, up to 2 bags) and some of us feel those days were preferable.

One frustrating experience I had was when I had purchased a RT on Delta for departure on travel date T, return on travel date T+3. Between those dates, Delta instituted their bag fee and charged me extra $$ on the return trip, without notice.

While it isn't going to bankrupt me, that kind of treatment leaves a bad taste in your mouth, and I haven't flown Delta since. Southwest treats people right (people who can fit in one seat, that is), and I am loyal to them for that.

hc5duke
03-29-2010, 01:39 PM
One frustrating experience I had was when I had purchased a RT on Delta for departure on travel date T, return on travel date T+3. Between those dates, Delta instituted their bag fee and charged me extra $$ on the return trip, without notice.

Flew on Continental on travel date T, and around day T-10, they decided to charge for bags. Fortunately for us, because we had purchased the tickets day T-30 or something, we did not have to pay for our bags that time.

back on topic, I agree these SWA commercials are lame. I always liked their "wanna get away" commercials a lot better anyway.

Devilsfan
03-29-2010, 02:01 PM
I stopped drinking Coke since they have been running a comercial with a school that wears some silly light blue color.