PDA

View Full Version : Geno Auriemma wants to be Duke MENS coach

billy
03-28-2010, 09:21 AM
On ESPN's Outside the Lines this morning, Geno says that he'd leave UCONN to be the Duke men's coach (if the opportunity were there). When asked if he'd coach only at Duke, he said Carolina too.

Cockabeau
03-28-2010, 09:23 AM
Great coach.
Would be a great hire,imo...

dukelifer
03-28-2010, 09:31 AM
On ESPN's Outside the Lines this morning, Geno says that he'd leave UCONN to be the Duke men's coach (if the opportunity were there). When asked if he'd coach only at Duke, he said Carolina too.

Odd- UConn's men's head coaching job will likely be open sooner. Maybe he just likes the area.

DukeGirl4ever
03-28-2010, 09:32 AM
I saw that as well! I would have loved to play for a guy like GENO! He gets the most of his players and while some think he's a tough guy, he truly cares for his girls.

He said he would take the job if Coach K came to him and said he was going to retire and needed someone to take over the job.

DukeGirl4ever
03-28-2010, 09:33 AM
Odd- UConn's men's head coaching job will likely be open sooner. Maybe he just likes the area.

His comment to that was he didn't want to ruin both programs at UCONN if he took over the men's job and left the women's program for someone else. :p

GODUKEGO
03-28-2010, 09:48 AM
I watched the interview with him and found it to be interesting. He comes across as very confident bit not arrogant. I have always wondered if he thought about crossing over to the men's game.

yancem
03-28-2010, 10:02 AM
I would think that switching from the women's game to the men's would be similar to going from college to pro. The game is different and success in one does not necessarily translate to success at the other. Geno is a hell of a coach and I would guess that if anyone could successfully make the switch it would be him but I don't think it would be an easy transition nor would there be any guarantees.

Mike Corey
03-28-2010, 10:16 AM
Coach Auriemma's comments about Duke's Jessica Foley a few years back make it very hard to like him.

DevilHorns
03-28-2010, 10:38 AM
I would think that switching from the women's game to the men's would be similar to going from college to pro. The game is different and success in one does not necessarily translate to success at the other. Geno is a hell of a coach and I would guess that if anyone could successfully make the switch it would be him but I don't think it would be an easy transition nor would there be any guarantees.

No offense, but I dont see it that way at all. WBB is much different than MBB. This guy has mastered, and I mean MASTERED, coaching the woman's game. The men's game is a different beast all together.

Devilsfan
03-28-2010, 11:15 AM
K would have to approve this and he's a "family" man so this is all just talk.

DueBlevil
03-28-2010, 11:37 AM
No offense, but I dont see it that way at all. WBB is much different than MBB. This guy has mastered, and I mean MASTERED, coaching the woman's game. The men's game is a different beast all together.

Did you read the post that you quoted...?

BlueintheFace
03-28-2010, 11:37 AM
this would make no sense whatsoever and would not happen.

He has zero experience in the men's game, but more importantly, zero experience recruiting high level prospects out of high school on the mens side. Anybody will tell you that this is night and day.

Hiring him would be even more of a reach for the program than hiring a truly dominant coach from division III ball.

hudlow
03-28-2010, 11:42 AM
I think he'd be good for Carolina...

hud

ScreechTDX1847
03-28-2010, 11:46 AM

In an interview at the beginning of the season he said he would be an assistant at Syracuse.:confused:

DukeGirl4ever
03-28-2010, 12:15 PM
this would make no sense whatsoever and would not happen.

He has zero experience in the men's game, but more importantly, zero experience recruiting high level prospects out of high school on the mens side. Anybody will tell you that this is night and day.

Hiring him would be even more of a reach for the program than hiring a truly dominant coach from division III ball.

The question was brought up as a what if question....he wants to stay in the women's game. So, I think to discredit him on something he isn't even considering is a bit off base, IMO.

What people don't want to acknowledge sometimes when it comes to the (oh dreaded/boring) women's game is that while there are differences in X's and O's, etc. to the men's game, great coaches are great motivators and get the best out of their players. Geno is one of those people.

You need to have both to be a successful coach. I'm sure Geno would struggle in his first few years IF he decided he wanted to come to the men's game (again, he DOESN'T WANT TO....that was the questioning of the interview). But, he's smart enough to figure out the nuances of the men's game. And, last time I checked, Coach K struggled a bit his first few years. You don't walk in to a program and have instant success.

I'm almost as much of a GENO fan as a Coach K fan. People ridicule him b/c he's honest and says exactly what's on his mind. I personally wish there were more people like that instead of those who say what you want to hear. I can think of a few of them in the men's game, and I'm sure all of you could as well.

Indoor66
03-28-2010, 12:22 PM
The question was brought up as a what if question....he wants to stay in the women's game. So, I think to discredit him on something he isn't even considering is a bit off base, IMO.

What people don't want to acknowledge sometimes when it comes to the (oh dreaded/boring) women's game is that while there are differences in X's and O's, etc. to the men's game, great coaches are great motivators and get the best out of their players. Geno is one of those people.

You need to have both to be a successful coach. I'm sure Geno would struggle in his first few years IF he decided he wanted to come to the men's game (again, he DOESN'T WANT TO....that was the questioning of the interview). But, he's smart enough to figure out the nuances of the men's game. And, last time I checked, Coach K struggled a bit his first few years. You don't walk in to a program and have instant success.

I'm almost as much of a GENO fan as a Coach K fan. People ridicule him b/c he's honest and says exactly what's on his mind. I personally wish there were more people like that instead of those who say what you want to hear. I can think of a few of them in the men's game, and I'm sure all of you could as well.

Well stated and I agree with you. I admire Geno's accomplishments. He has an incredible record and no hint of doing anything wrong. I also like his honest directness with the press. He doesn't pull punches. I like that.

DevilHorns
03-28-2010, 12:51 PM
Did you read the post that you quoted...?

I did. Though his remark was guarded, I still think it was too generous. I dont think Geno would have any chance at success going from a top womens program to mens. Its completely different. I dont think that "if anyone could do it, he could" as the quote says. I flat out think none of them could right away. Theyd have to try success at smaller mens programs to see if they have a knack for it, then maybe someday work for a powerhouse like Duke or Carolina.

uh_no
03-28-2010, 01:23 PM
I did. Though his remark was guarded, I still think it was too generous. I dont think Geno would have any chance at success going from a top womens program to mens. Its completely different. I dont think that "if anyone could do it, he could" as the quote says. I flat out think none of them could right away. Theyd have to try success at smaller mens programs to see if they have a knack for it, then maybe someday work for a powerhouse like Duke or Carolina.

If you have qualms about X's and O's, roy williams met with geno last year so that roy could incorporate sets from geno's offense into his own....so we have one of the premeir (snicker) coaches in the mens game taking offense lessons from geno.....i'd say thats not a bad hint

that said, i think his biggest issue would be with recruiting and connecting with the 'guys' in the early years....because obvioulsy you can't do it the same as you do it with girls...like some of his rules...that one player has to high five the entire bench for every made 3? wouldn't fly for guys...just an example....so obviously he'd have to bring on board some men's coaches as assistants that had been around the game to show him the ropes

ultimately i don't think he's going anywhere....what is so enticing about the womens game is that you don't have to worry about losing a player after a year...and compromising academics for athletic success...so for a coach who just wants to coach people to win, and have years to develop them, the womens game is an absolutely great opportunity...the closest you get to that setup in a big mens program is duke....obviouslyj academics are key, people hang around and you don't have to deal with people stealing laptops.....so that would be my guess as to why he would say duke

lastly, he would never say anything about the uconn mens job, mostly because of the contentions with jim, if he said yeah that's something i'd like to do...i'm not sure that would buy him any brownie points....so obviously he took a good road out of it saying he didn't want to ruin two programs

DukeGirl4ever
03-28-2010, 01:37 PM
ultimately i don't think he's going anywhere....what is so enticing about the womens game is that you don't have to worry about losing a player after a year...and compromising academics for athletic success...so for a coach who just wants to coach people to win, and have years to develop them, the womens game is an absolutely great opportunity...

I couldn't agree with you more. Can you imagine what it felt like as a fan/coach to know Maya Moore as a freshman was PHENOMENAL and you had her for 3 MORE YEARS? That's why the women's teams can be so dominant. They get a good player, they're not going anywhere unless they transfer. For the men, that's why it's so hard. You play a guessing game from year to year whether or not your elite players will return.

I also agree with the recruiting comment. That would be an issue I think for Geno in the men's game. He's a great recruiter, though, for the women, but I'm not sure how they guys would take him.

DukeBlueNikeShox
03-28-2010, 01:50 PM
He applied for the Duke Women's head coaching job; Duke chose to hire Gail instead...

Geno once said he'd coach the Sixers.

BD80
03-28-2010, 02:14 PM
Geno is too much ego to ever leave the uCon women's team.

The comment about Duke (or unc) is just that - ego. He would never be seriously considered by either.

His disputes with Pat Summit say enough about Geno for me.

RoyalBlue08
03-28-2010, 02:16 PM
Well, it's good to know that once K retires, our 742nd choice is available. But perhaps someone higher on the list might want the job too....

uh_no
03-28-2010, 02:34 PM
Geno is too much ego to ever leave the uCon women's team.

The comment about Duke (or unc) is just that - ego. He would never be seriously considered by either.

His disputes with Pat Summit say enough about Geno for me.

not sure if you watched the interview, but i failed to see any ego....he talked a lot about being scared of failure...that doesn't sound like an ego issue to me

he never said he thought he would be considered, or that it was his dream job or anything like that....if you had actually watched the interview, you'd know that he said if coach k called him up and said come coach, he would....he never pretended it was plausible...it was more in jest, as the following UNC comment showed....he's not stupid....

pat is the one that has a problem with geno.....she ended the rivalry...had wanted to for years....she just had been 9-2 in the last 11...waited till she got a few in a row and cut the deal off....

CameronBornAndBred
03-28-2010, 02:42 PM
pat is the one that has a problem with geno.....she ended the rivalry...had wanted to for years....she just had been 9-2 in the last 11...waited till she got a few in a row and cut the deal off....
Exactly. They both have an ego, but they've also both earned it. But Pat is the one who I will always have disdain for, she has a bad attitude against other teams and tries to flex her influence...remember her I'm a real wanker for saying this.I'm a real wanker for saying this.I'm a real wanker for saying this.I'm a real wanker for saying this.I'm a real wanker for saying this.ing about the Crazies? You know what the Crazies did? It was horrible, they gave her and Tennesses respect by showing up and being themselves. Geno's been to Cameron as well, and never had an issue. He still brings his team, and it's great. I think it's a sign of respect that he says he would want to coach the Blue Devils, he sees a program that strives for excellence, just like his does. He's great to hate, but he has my respect. I can't say the same for Pat.

BD80
03-28-2010, 02:45 PM
not sure if you watched the interview, but i failed to see any ego....he talked a lot about being scared of failure...that doesn't sound like an ego issue to me

he never said he thought he would be considered, or that it was his dream job or anything like that....if you had actually watched the interview, you'd know that he said if coach k called him up and said come coach, he would....he never pretended it was plausible...it was more in jest, as the following UNC comment showed....he's not stupid....

I couldn't believe what I was reading -

Geno no ego??

Pat caused the series break-up?? (ask the Tenn fans)

UNTIL I saw where you were from.

Never mind.

uh_no
03-28-2010, 02:56 PM
I couldn't believe what I was reading -

Geno no ego??

Pat caused the series break-up?? (ask the Tenn fans)

UNTIL I saw where you were from.

Never mind.

Pat doesn't even DENY that she was the one who ended the break up....she said 'I don't like the way he recruits.'

she said this because he went after maya moore....and pat didn't like this becuase she was from georgia....which was 'her' territory in her mind.....so if you have any evidence (direct quotes preferable which indicate that geno ended the series, please let me know, i'd be glad to hear them

also some indication of his ego would be nice.....as if no mens coaches have an ego anyway

Cameron
03-28-2010, 03:04 PM
He applied for the Duke Women's head coaching job; Duke chose to hire Gail instead...

This never happened.

But your comment about the Sixers assures me that you are being sarcastic. That last one was pretty funny.

Classof06
03-28-2010, 03:10 PM
What'd he say about Jessica Foley a few years ago?

JG Nothing
03-28-2010, 03:35 PM

I seriously doubt the rivalry was ended simply so Summitt could get out while she was ahead. As with many events in college sports (e.g., recruitment, transfers, coaching changes, etc.), the real story never makes it to the general public.

DukeBlueNikeShox
03-28-2010, 03:35 PM
The Duke job became open in 91-92. He was a year removed from coming off his first Final Four and had graduated the best player in program history, Kerry Bascom, who was also a Kodak All-American. He was a young coach, who was looking to go to a place where he thought he could be really successful. Before UConn hired him, they were down to Geno and Nancy Darsh, who took the Ohio State job. When Geno found this out, he said, "Damn, she can have this job, and I'll take the Ohio State job." So he was definitely looking to move. Duke was a gold mine and had lots of potential, so he was very interested.

"Part of me would love to give the men's game a try. I think it's probably too late for me, now that I've hit fifty years old, but strictly from a competitive standpoint, I really, really, really would love to sit across the sidelines from some of the guys I've never coached against but have tremendous respect for, like Phil Martelli, like Bobby Knight, like Roy Williams. Give me a level playing field, and let me see if I can adjust to that game. Part of me would love to do that.

Then there's another part of me that despises the entire culture. You can't get guys to play hard anymore. If a player jogs, the coaches clap, because it passes for working hard. If a guy makes an attempt to do something, it's cause for celebration. What happened to doing your job because you're supposed to? It's the culture. From the time those kids are thirteen, someone is kissing their *** and telling them how great they are. So the entitlement level is so high that coaches have to worry almost more about staying on their star's good side so they don't turn on them, because they are so used to having their way. I'm not sure I'd want any part of that....

The other thing about the men's game is when someone makes a good offensive play they act like they have won the lottery. I love watching Richard Hamilton play....Nine different announcers went absolutely berserk every time. Richard got on the floor and moved without the ball. He's very good at it, but they were acting like they'd never seen it before. The fact that so few people in the NBA game do an essential skill is bizarre. It's absolutely bizarre. It would be like in baseball saying, "Wow, look at Alex Rodriquez pick up that ball and turn the double play." Well, that's what he gets paid to do. But in pro basketball, anyway, basketball has become something other than it was intended to be."

(excerpt taken from "Geno In Pursuit of Perfection", written by Geno Auriemma with Jackie MacMullan)

JG Nothing
03-28-2010, 03:39 PM
Pat doesn't even DENY that she was the one who ended the break up....she said 'I don't like the way he recruits.'

she said this because he went after maya moore....and pat didn't like this becuase she was from georgia....which was 'her' territory in her mind.....so if you have any evidence (direct quotes preferable which indicate that geno ended the series, please let me know, i'd be glad to hear them

also some indication of his ego would be nice.....as if no mens coaches have an ego anyway

Please backup your assertion about Moore's recruitment. The idea that Summitt simply thought Georgia was her recruiting territory is ridiculous. ask Andy Landers. :rolleyes:

BD80
03-28-2010, 03:42 PM

I said "cause" the break-up. Pat did end the series, if nothing else because she was fed up with Geno. Even he admitted he was too much of a smart-a$s.

If it was Maya Moore, isn't she the one that that ESPN recruited for uCon? Complete with special tour of the facilities. Even uCon admitted that was a violation, although they called it a "cough, cough" secondary violation. What was the NCAA going to do? Punish one its top women's programs for being in bed with its top promoter?

As for his ego, simply search auriemma on YouTube. I find him insufferable.

And TWO books about himself? Why?

CameronBornAndBred
03-28-2010, 03:43 PM
For those that doubt Pat Summitt ended the UCONN games...
http://sportsillustrated.cnn.com/2007/basketball/ncaa/06/08/uconn.tennessee/

DukeBlueNikeShox
03-28-2010, 04:06 PM
Pat ended the rivalry because she accused Geno was cheating in recruiting and violating NCAA rules. Tennessee filed a 32 page complaint to the NCAA, highlighted by 11 potential NCAA violations and 8 separate incidents. The Tennessee athletic director called UConn's compliance department, but UConn wouldn't respond to them (which rubbed Tennessee the wrong way). Pat was also upset that despite some of the blatant violations (even the recruits admitted some of the incidents), the NCAA would only give UConn a slap on the wrist. Some of the things she accused Geno & UConn of doing:

Diana Taurasi and Sue Bird giving Maya Moore a ride to the TipOff Banquet in Atlanta to receive an award for being National HS POY. Both Taurasi and Bird had to provide documented evidence that they were playing in Russia at the time and it was physically impossible for them to do so

Geno using pro players to influence and mingle with recruits. When Caroline Doty went on her visit to UConn, Sue Bird and Diana Taurasi just happen to be in Geno's office, where they all ate burgers from Wendy's and talked. Being an impressionable high school teenager, Doty was absolutely delighted. However, Pat claimed this was a direct recruiting violation: Contact between former players and recruits must be incidental and very limited and not arranged by the school or allowed or facilitated by the school. Doty didn't help matters when she told the media about the incident.

The final straw was that Geno arranged for Maya Moore to receive a tour of ESPN and to discuss potential internship opportunities. Although no one from UConn gave Maya a ride to ESPN, she admitted that she didn't know anyone at ESPN (which indicated that it was arranged by UConn). This was the only violation NCAA confirmed and gave UConn a secondary violation.

Other alleged incidents: Fans making custom signs for recruits at the SuperShow and giving them to recruits and their parents; media interviewing recruits at practice; Taurasi and Bird serving as recruiters and hostesses for recruits; pro players (UConn alumni) practicing with the team on a regular basis.

No one has investigated how Maya Moore's mom was able to move from Atlanta to Connecticut and purchase a big house...

NovaScotian
03-28-2010, 08:18 PM
I said "cause" the break-up. Pat did end the series, if nothing else because she was fed up with Geno. Even he admitted he was too much of a smart-a$s.

If it was Maya Moore, isn't she the one that that ESPN recruited for uCon? Complete with special tour of the facilities. Even uCon admitted that was a violation, although they called it a "cough, cough" secondary violation. What was the NCAA going to do? Punish one its top women's programs for being in bed with its top promoter?

As for his ego, simply search auriemma on YouTube. I find him insufferable.

And TWO books about himself? Why?

let's not throw stones: how many books has coach mike written about himself?

also, what did geno say about jessica foley?

DukeBlueNikeShox
03-28-2010, 08:28 PM
Geno tried to recruit Jess in 2001, but she wasn't interested in UConn. Jess told Geno that she was only interested in Duke and Stanford, because in Australia, those schools are considered to be very prestigious. Geno said: "That's probably because they've got the biggest logos and after 75 Foster's, that's all they can see."

94duke
03-29-2010, 12:56 AM
Geno tried to recruit Jess in 2001, but she wasn't interested in UConn. Jess told Geno that she was only interested in Duke and Stanford, because in Australia, those schools are considered to be very prestigious. Geno said: "That's probably because they've got the biggest logos and after 75 Foster's, that's all they can see."

Makes me even happier that she is the one who buried that dagger-3 as time expired to beat them on their own floor. :)

cptnflash
03-29-2010, 01:05 AM
Auriemma will never be the Duke men's coach, because K is going to live forever.

uh_no
03-29-2010, 01:10 AM
Makes me even happier that she is the one who buried that dagger-3 as time expired to beat them on their own floor. :)

i'll take a last second prayer loss anyday if it comes along with 6 national titles and the two longest winning streaks in women's basketball history....

BD80
03-29-2010, 01:27 AM
i'll take a last second prayer loss anyday if it comes along with 6 national titles and the two longest winning streaks in women's basketball history....

Man it must suck that the uCon men's team is so bad you come to a Duke bboard to brag about WOMEN'S basketball.

darthur
03-29-2010, 02:13 AM
Man it must suck that the uCon men's team is so bad you come to a Duke bboard to brag about WOMEN'S basketball.

His affiliation is listed as Pratt '10...

Personally, I think Auriemma is hilarious. I know a lot of people don't like him, but for the most part, I see him primarily as a badass coach who also has a joke for every occasion.

brevity
03-29-2010, 03:06 AM
Auriemma will never be the Duke men's coach, because K is going to live forever.

Maybe. But will he coach forever, or just enjoy a really long retirement?

I can't believe people on this board are choosing sides in the Pat Summitt vs. Geno Auriemma war. They're both fragile head cases with matching egos. There is a third option called Neither, and I wish fans, the media, and especially high school recruits would wake up and realize this. The women's sport can't move forward otherwise.

CameronBornAndBred
03-29-2010, 09:33 AM
There is a third option called Neither, and I wish fans, the media, and especially high school recruits would wake up and realize this. The women's sport can't move forward otherwise.
There's a few highly touted recruits heading to Duke this year that voted neither. :D

dukeimac
03-29-2010, 09:38 AM
Are you serious? Geno Auriemma as Duke's mens coach, seriously?

To say that is like saying the women's game is every bit as comparable to the men's game. The best attribute a women's coach has to have is they need to be able to deal with emotional women.

JG Nothing
03-29-2010, 09:43 AM

To say that is like saying the women's game is every bit as comparable to the men's game. The best attribute a women's coach has to have is they need to be able to deal with emotional women.

Wow. Are you trying to be offense or just are you just that clueless?

DukeGirl4ever
03-29-2010, 10:19 AM

As an EMOTIONAL WOMAN, I can tell you that I was much less of a basket case in college compared to the knuckleheads on our men's team that needed to be babied all the time.

Just ask anyone from Kentucky who is more emotional or a basket-case - I'm thinking the men's team takes the cake.

Sorry for my EMOTIONAL post. And if you really think that, I can honestly say as a woman coaching both young men and ladies, THE BOYS WERE MUCH MORE IMMATURE when it came to dealing with their emotions!

BD80
03-29-2010, 10:31 AM
... Just ask anyone from Kentucky who is more emotional or a basket-case - I'm thinking the men's team takes the cake. ...

Ouch! I thought they usually let a body stop twitching before they perform an autopsy!

The comment was 111% dead on, but it was like using a bazooka to stop a kitten!

DukeGirl4ever
03-29-2010, 10:34 AM
Ouch! I thought they usually let a body stop twitching before they perform an autopsy!

The comment was 111% dead on, but it was like using a bazooka to stop a kitten!

Sorry, the emotional woman comment made me, well...EMOTIONAL!

BD80
03-29-2010, 10:41 AM
Sorry, the emotional woman comment made me, well...EMOTIONAL!

Apologies? Hell no! Thanks for the amusement. :D

I do need some help finding shards of dukeimac. I think you blew bits of him into the dearly departed Public Policy board!

Indoor66
03-29-2010, 12:42 PM
Never cross a Pennsylvania Dutchwoman! :D

DukeGirl4ever
03-29-2010, 01:14 PM
HAHA - PA Dutch! You are DEAD ON!

I didn't mean to upset anyone but those stereotypes are some of the problems in the women's game.

I wish more people would actually watch the women's game rather than assume. I have seen more level-headed play from most of the women players (except for Griner's poor judgment) than I see from many men's teams. This is one of the reasons I love DUKE so much. I don't see that whiney-baby, pamper me attitude from the guys.

uh_no
03-29-2010, 02:23 PM
This is one of the reasons I love DUKE so much. I don't see that whiney-baby, pamper me attitude from the guys.

dead effing on

dukeimac
03-30-2010, 08:40 AM
LOL, I wanted to use a few other words but I tamed it down.

I respect that a woman might find it a little offensive but I'm someone who saw things from the other side. Men might act more like boys at times but women, well the emotional word fits. As someone who has coached both men and women, I stand by my words.

DukeGirl4ever
03-30-2010, 08:51 AM

I respect that a woman might find it a little offensive but I'm someone who saw things from the other side. Men might act more like boys at times but women, well the emotional word fits. As someone who has coached both men and women, I stand by my words.

I've coached them both as well....and I think the word "emotional" can be used for Jr. High/HS girls, but I'm pretty sure the collegiate women are (for the most part) beyond the "school-girl" emotions and are there with a purpose.

I will agree on that! :p
But, you have to rephrase the "men act like boys" to "men act like babies".
Some of them....:D

bluedevil2012
03-30-2010, 10:58 AM

The problem is not that people are disputing that women are more emotional than men. The problem is that you said that the most important attribute of coaching women is controlling their emotions.

Seriously, uconn is on a 2 year, 70+ win streak, with an average margin of victory of 35. You are really claiming that Geno Auriemma accomplished this by making the uconn women control their emotions better? Good insight. Clearly it has nothing to do with how he coaches basketball:rolleyes:.

dukeimac
03-30-2010, 11:44 AM
Interesting, read what you want.

I said the coach needs to be able to deal with the emotions.

Just this year a local college coach was on the radio and talked about his teams "emotional" ride. At the start of the season, their star player went down with a season ending injury. Two weeks later the star to replace the star went down with a season ending injury.

When the radio host asked him what the toughest part of that time period was, he stated "handling emotional players who came to my office crying because they thought their season was over."

I've seen college ladies cry after losing to their most heated rival, during the regular season.

bluedevil2012
03-30-2010, 12:30 PM
Interesting, read what you want.

I said the coach needs to be able to deal with the emotions.

Just this year a local college coach was on the radio and talked about his teams "emotional" ride. At the start of the season, their star player went down with a season ending injury. Two weeks later the star to replace the star went down with a season ending injury.

When the radio host asked him what the toughest part of that time period was, he stated "handling emotional players who came to my office crying because they thought their season was over."

I've seen college ladies cry after losing to their most heated rival, during the regular season.

Tweety Carter was crying after Baylor lost to Duke...

uh_no
03-30-2010, 12:42 PM

General greivis anyone?

dukeimac
03-30-2010, 06:40 PM
Tweety Carter was crying after Baylor lost to Duke...

I said it was after a rival game during the season. I see a bite of emotions after a game that ends one career.

I believe I'm seeing your emotional side now.:mad:

I know, I know, I have to give you the last word.

bluedevil2012
03-30-2010, 06:52 PM
I said it was after a rival game during the season. I see a bite of emotions after a game that ends one career.

I'm not saying you're wrong that women are more emotional than men. And you're probably right that women's coaches have to learn to deal with emotional players. I just dispute the fact that the most important part of coaching women's basketball is controlling emotional players. Clearly Geno Auriemma has qualities beyond that. Otherwise, they wouldn't be winning so much.

Anyway, let's agree to disagree. :D

calltheobvious
03-30-2010, 06:56 PM

McRoberts?

DevilHorns
03-30-2010, 10:12 PM
Somehow I knew deep down inside that this thread would wind down to a sexism spat.