PDA

View Full Version : Non-Duke Elite 8 Discussion

Welcome2DaSlopes
03-27-2010, 04:59 PM
Discuss....

Welcome2DaSlopes
03-27-2010, 05:00 PM
Butler is looking pretty good, hope they win. Always root for the underdog unless they're playing Duke.

slower
03-27-2010, 05:24 PM
Does it seem to anybody else that Gus Johnson and (in particular) Len Elmore are pulling for K-State to beat Butler? I'm multi-tasking and only half watching, but it seems as if they get excited every time KSU has possession and not overly thrilled about any of Butler's possessions. I don't know, maybe it's just me.

I'll try to listen more carefully to the second half, but I'm just wondering if CBS would prefer KSU to advance instead of Butler.

NM Duke Fan
03-27-2010, 05:26 PM
When your guards have 2 points combined at the half, you are in a bit of trouble! Perhaps the double overtime game took a lot out of their legs . . . and good D by Butler.

diveonthefloor
03-27-2010, 05:35 PM
Hey guys, Butler is pretty darn good....

The prospect of Butler in the Final Four is actually a bit scary.

Massive home court advantage....it would be almost bizarre.

DevilHorns
03-27-2010, 05:37 PM
Hey guys, Butler is pretty darn good....

The prospect of Butler in the Final Four is actually a bit scary.

Massive home court advantage....it would be almost bizarre.

Last year MSU had the homecourt. Right?

Vincetaylor
03-27-2010, 05:40 PM
I felt like Elmore was cheering for KSU against Xavier too. He is constantly pointing out calls that go against KSU.

Eternal Outlaw
03-27-2010, 05:40 PM
Does it seem to anybody else that Gus Johnson and (in particular) Len Elmore are pulling for K-State to beat Butler? I'm multi-tasking and only half watching, but it seems as if they get excited every time KSU has possession and not overly thrilled about any of Butler's possessions. I don't know, maybe it's just me.

I'll try to listen more carefully to the second half, but I'm just wondering if CBS would prefer KSU to advance instead of Butler.

I've noticed it. I'm one of the few (it seems at least) that isn't a Gus Johnson fan but it is worse today since he has clearly called the game differently depending on who has the ball.

mehmattski
03-27-2010, 06:19 PM
I had been listening on the radio until just now, and I don't really detect any difference from Gus Johnson. KSU just hit a three on an inbound play to bring the game to 49-42, and Gus announced it as if it were a death announcement.

slower
03-27-2010, 06:26 PM
I had been listening on the radio until just now, and I don't really detect any difference from Gus Johnson. KSU just hit a three on an inbound play to bring the game to 49-42, and Gus announced it as if it were a death announcement.

I don't know. It sure seems like they want KSU to win. Maybe they just wanted a close game. But it sure seems like Gus goes into his "crazy, growling Gus" voice every time KSU does something.

FireOgilvie
03-27-2010, 06:26 PM
I don't know. It sure seems like they want KSU to win.

I think they want a close game.

BlueintheFace
03-27-2010, 06:28 PM
The more I watch Len Elmore games, the more convinced I am that race significantly effects his outlook on basketball games and how he does his commentary. It's unfortunate to say the least.

MChambers
03-27-2010, 06:35 PM
I think Gus may explode. Wow, is he charged up! I actually enjoy it.

slower
03-27-2010, 06:38 PM
I think Gus may explode. Wow, is he charged up! I actually enjoy it.

Don't get me wrong. I LOVE Gus! It just surprised me that he seemed to be getting more excited about KSU plays than Butler. Nothing Elmore does surpises me (he's a douche).

Okay, I was wrong. Gus is the man!

NM Duke Fan
03-27-2010, 06:41 PM
Hayward for Butler sure makes some assertive plays, that drive to the basket was huge. Butler in general really plays TEAM basketball, like watching their style!

mehmattski
03-27-2010, 06:41 PM
What amazing defense by Butler on that last KSU possession. Such intensity and hustle!

slower
03-27-2010, 06:44 PM
I never would have picked Butler to win that game.

jkidd31
03-27-2010, 06:49 PM
Tickets just became harder for UK fans to get if they win.

Daniel tosh
03-27-2010, 06:51 PM
Has anyone noticed the resemblence between Brad Stevens and Scheyer just If I was the only one who noticed.

DevilHorns
03-27-2010, 06:52 PM
Wow Butler has beaten Cuse and K-State in route to the 4. Now they go back home to Indy. What a story.

CoachJ10
03-27-2010, 06:55 PM
Congrats to Butler...but man, that was a very poor job of coaching by Frank Martin. He did very little from an x/o perspective to help his tired team execute better...but more importantly, he was not the leader that his tired and frustrated team needed to rally around.

Really makes you appreciate what Coach K brings to the sidelines for our team.

mgtr
03-27-2010, 06:56 PM
I think that Butler just played a whole lot smarter than K-State in last 2 minutes of the game. Very impressive. The tape of this game should be a great one for coaches to study in the future.

mehmattski
03-27-2010, 06:56 PM
Very much like Duke's defense this year, Butler held KSU to a season-low 56 points. Just the third time they'd even been held under 70 points. There were 63 possessions in the game, and so it was their third-worst efficiency of the season (ahead of wins over Texas and Missouri).

Kansas State is the 5-th best offensive rebounding team in the country, grabbing 40.8% of their missed shots. But today KSU was dominated on their offensive glass, getting only 27.5% of their missed shots.

Just a great, great defensive effort there by Butler.

jkidd31
03-27-2010, 07:00 PM
Too bad K State didn't fold like that against Xavier. I would have loved to have seen Butler/Xavier play again. When they played this season the ending was really controversial.

Mudge
03-27-2010, 07:05 PM
--er, eh, I mean Gordon Hayward and Butler are HEADING TO INDY FOR THE FINAL FOUR.... HOOOOSIERS!!!

theAlaskanBear
03-27-2010, 07:14 PM
Is Wall incapable of committing a charge??

I cant believe Im saying this, but GO WVU!

HCheek37
03-27-2010, 07:19 PM
not to look wayyyy ahead but a Duke vs Butler matchup would be very interesting...

Hayward and Singler are very similar players
Mack and Smith would have a good showdown in the backcourt

what an unathletic display that will be ;)

ArtVandelay
03-27-2010, 07:19 PM
What I still cannot understand is why Elmore attributes everything that happens in basketball to fatigue. Since like 5 minutes into the game he was harping about how K St. looked slow. Then when Butler lost the lead, it was because they were getting tired b/c of KSU's depth.

Just like how Duke's problem is that they are fatigued from all those minutes they've played this year. Is he even aware that things other than fitness play a role in the outcome of a game?

Welcome2DaSlopes
03-27-2010, 07:22 PM
Is Wall incapable of committing a charge??

I cant believe Im saying this, but GO WVU!

Agreed

FireOgilvie
03-27-2010, 07:27 PM
Great win for Butler. They've come a long way since the beginning of the year when they lost to pretty much every big name team they played (they lost their first 3 against ranked teams).

wgl1228
03-27-2010, 07:36 PM
Kentucky's defense is not smothering why do teams fail to shoot well against them? Its been like that all year.

DevilHorns
03-27-2010, 07:37 PM
Kentucky's defense is not smothering why do teams fail to shoot well against them? Its been like that all year.

They are blocking/contesting shots in the paint well, at least today.

mehmattski
03-27-2010, 07:44 PM
Dick Enberg helpfully reminds us that "the mathematics say that three is greater than two."

basket1544
03-27-2010, 07:47 PM
Verne's been driving me insane, but that's for a different thread.
I'm sitting here after cheering for Baylor's women to beat Tennessee (and thus play Duke's women) in a quandry over cheering for West Virginia to beat Kentucky. My mom says I should just watch the game without cheering for a specific team... what's the fun in that?!

DevilHorns
03-27-2010, 07:49 PM
Verne's been driving me insane, but that's for a different thread.
I'm sitting here after cheering for Baylor's women to beat Tennessee (and thus play Duke's women) in a quandry over cheering for West Virginia to beat Kentucky. My mom says I should just watch the game without cheering for a specific team... what's the fun in that?!

I think we match up better against WVU, plus we would welcome the chance for revenge (not thinking ahead of course, just an idea)

RoyalBlue08
03-27-2010, 07:52 PM
So what is the under/over on eventual college degrees for the players in this Kentucky/WVU matchup?

FireOgilvie
03-27-2010, 07:57 PM
So what is the under/over on eventual college degrees for the players in this Kentucky/WVU matchup?

I might be wrong, but I thought Huggins' teams always had good graduation rates. I actually think Calipari puts up good numbers as well... although obviously this Kentucky team has a number of future NBA players that will be making millions in the league instead of getting their degree.

DevilHorns
03-27-2010, 07:58 PM
I dont think WVU hit a 2-pt shot in the paint that half. Kinda like Duke first half last game.

OldSchool
03-27-2010, 08:01 PM
I wonder if DeMarcus Cousins would be as highly regarded if he did not have John Wall feeding him so many passes leaving him with a 2-ft shot.

Cousins does have pretty sound footwork and a couple of good low-post moves, but the basis for the hype about Cousins being the best big man in the country to a significant extent should be credited to John Wall.

FireOgilvie
I dont think WVU hit a 2-pt shot in the paint that half. Kinda like Duke first half last game.

...and WVU is being outrebounded 25-12 according to ESPN and still winning. Crazy.

Welcome2DaSlopes

I don't think they have a two point fg all half. Just three's and Free Throws.

basket1544
03-27-2010, 08:03 PM
Well Kentucky's turnovers are helping West Virginia win.

Bob Green
03-27-2010, 08:04 PM

WVU has scored 28 points on 8 made 3-pointers and 4 free throws. They have not made a 2-point shot.

DevilHorns

You're right. Wow to the power of wow.

Newton_14

They did not hit a 2 point shot from anywhere in that half. They had 8 three's and a couple of free throws. That's it. Bizarre.

RoyalBlue08
03-27-2010, 08:08 PM
I might be wrong, but I thought Huggins' teams always had good graduation rates. I actually think Calipari puts up good numbers as well... although obviously this Kentucky team has a number of future NBA players that will be making millions in the league instead of getting their degree.

Huggins went something like 8 straight seasons without graduating a single player from Cincy. He is the poster boy for not graduating players. I don't think anyone on Kentucky is going to class anymore. (Not putting this on Cal, they are all NBA guys so more power to them.)

Welcome2DaSlopes
03-27-2010, 08:11 PM
Hey as long as they can win this game, idc if they never make a two point fg

OldSchool
03-27-2010, 08:13 PM
I don't think anyone on Kentucky is going to class anymore. (Not putting this on Cal, they are all NBA guys so more power to them.)

Cousins was quoted the other day as saying that when he goes to class there are something like 30 people waiting outside for an autograph. I wonder if that's partly because it's a rare sight to see him in class?

DevilHorns
03-27-2010, 08:15 PM
I realize they won't be able to shoot lights out from 3 pt land all game long (well, most likely), but they're missing a lot of half-contested shots from inside the arc. They need to nail those or this half will be all KY.

Why am I watching this game as if its KY's to lose? I hate having that mindset. Any of these teams can really take it. I dont think KY is as good as people think they are. Sure they can run like crazy and are very good at it, but they are very raw, turn it over a lot, and are out of position a lot. And that technical, man, this is the elite 8! How do you get a tech at this stage!

mgtr
03-27-2010, 08:17 PM
Cousins was quoted the other day as saying that when he goes to class there are something like 30 people waiting outside for an autograph. I wonder if that's partly because it's a rare sight to see him in class?

The implication here is that Cousins can actually write!:D

FireOgilvie
03-27-2010, 08:17 PM
Huggins went something like 8 straight seasons without graduating a single player from Cincy. He is the poster boy for not graduating players. I don't think anyone on Kentucky is going to class anymore. (Not putting this on Cal, they are all NBA guys so more power to them.)

Haha well forget what I said about Huggins then. I think it must have just been Calipari I was thinking about then... it's hard to keep all of these coaches I hate straight in my head.

roywhite
03-27-2010, 08:19 PM
Kentucky has not shot well from 3-pt range during the tournament...they are certainly not unbeatable.

OldSchool
03-27-2010, 08:20 PM
I dont think KY is as good as people think they are. Sure they can run like crazy and are very good at it, but they are very raw, turn it over a lot, and are out of position a lot. And that technical, man, this is the elite 8! How do you get a tech at this stage!

I think if I had one very good on-ball defender, I would have everyone else stay home on their man and not help out on Wall, just take my lumps with Wall trying to score himself.

He is most dangerous when he draws the second defender because he is so good at finding the open guy for a layup. I think taking that away would disrupt a lot of what Kentucky does.

DevilHorns
03-27-2010, 08:23 PM
Did any of you guys catch that quick camerawork on Cousins about to be lectured by Cal?

Cousins commits the dumb hopeful reach foul, and then looks incredibly dumbfounded for at least 40 seconds, goes to sit on the bench.... Cal comes over, and Cousins still with a look of disgust.... Cal just walks away. He knows theres nothing he could say.

Wow.

mehmattski
03-27-2010, 08:24 PM
Cousins pulls a Chris Paul like move on Da'Sean Butler. Just a little "love tap" lands him on the bench with three fouls.

Newton_14
03-27-2010, 08:29 PM
I am really really hoping for a Kentucky "Meltdown" in this game of epic proportions.

Keep hitting those 3's mountain men. Make em all!

FireOgilvie
03-27-2010, 08:30 PM
There is nothing I hate more during a game than when they decide to switch to some really zoomed out view from the basket on the other side of the court. Just stick to the sideline view!

SCMatt33
03-27-2010, 08:33 PM
Cousins is really showing his immaturity. The last couple of plays he thought he should have gotten a foul, and made a big show of it. Meanwhile, WVU took the ball right into the lane for an easy layup while he's still on the other side of the court, having given up on the play.

DevilHorns
03-27-2010, 08:39 PM
Mazulla wrecked us a few years back, but i cant help but like this kid. He is fearless.

MChambers
03-27-2010, 08:41 PM
Mazulla wrecked us a few years back, but i cant help but like this kid. He is fearless.

I'm cheering for Huggins, and I feel dirty. I think I'll take a shower after the game.

Welcome2DaSlopes
03-27-2010, 08:43 PM
Cousins pulls a Chris Paul like move on Da'Sean Butler. Just a little "love tap" lands him on the bench with three fouls.

Yea but i'm pretty sure it wasn't on purpose.

Newton_14
03-27-2010, 08:46 PM
I'm cheering for Huggins, and I feel dirty. I think I'll take a shower after the game.

You should not feel dirty at all. This is real easy for me. Huggy is no saint, but at least when he came to WVU he did not kick off half of the existing team to bring in his own recruits right away. I will pull for him over Cal no matter what.

Come on WVU, hold on and do this!!

OldSchool
03-27-2010, 08:47 PM
Kentucky getting frustrated and beginning to lose its poise.

MChambers
03-27-2010, 08:48 PM
You should not feel dirty at all. This is real easy for me. Huggy is no saint, but at least when he came to WVU he did not kick off half of the existing team to bring in his own recruits right away. I will pull for him over Cal no matter what.

Come on WVU, hold on and do this!!

I'm rooting for a meteor first, and Huggins second.

RoyalBlue08
03-27-2010, 08:49 PM
I'm rooting for the less talented team in every game as long as Duke is still in this tournament. So go WVU. Keep knocking down those shots.

OldSchool
03-27-2010, 08:51 PM
Surprising that Huggins isn't trying harder to get that fourth foul on Cousins - that could really change the complexion of the game.

DevilHorns
03-27-2010, 08:52 PM
surprising that huggins isn't trying harder to get that fourth foul on cousins - that could really change the complexion of the game.

well that should have been a charge call! Ergh!

ice-9
03-27-2010, 08:53 PM
If Kentucky even made a decent percentage of their 3-point shots instead of going 0 for however many (16? 17?), they would have a comfortable lead.

Let's hope WVU pulls this one out because I'd expect some reversion to the mean if Kentucky makes it to the Final Four.

DevilHorns
03-27-2010, 08:54 PM
Ebanks thinking too much about a master dunk. So stupid. Just get the 2 pts.

Welcome2DaSlopes
03-27-2010, 08:55 PM
HAHAHA they could have had it twice. smh

OldSchool
03-27-2010, 08:59 PM
Did any of you guys catch that quick camerawork on Cousins about to be lectured by Cal?

Cousins commits the dumb hopeful reach foul, and then looks incredibly dumbfounded for at least 40 seconds, goes to sit on the bench.... Cal comes over, and Cousins still with a look of disgust.... Cal just walks away. He knows theres nothing he could say.

Wow.

One thing about Huggins. None of his players would dare disrespect him the way Cal's players do from time to time.

DevilHorns
03-27-2010, 09:03 PM
One thing about Huggins. None of his players would dare disrespect him the way Cal's players do from time to time.

Cousins has no respect for Cal. Just got another glimpse.

DevilHorns
03-27-2010, 09:05 PM
Thank you Jay Bilas. I love how he's talking about how UK is not adapting with Mazulla out. It makes Cal look like an Idiot.

MChambers
03-27-2010, 09:07 PM
Jay just said that boxing out Cousins is like trying to move a parked car out of a space.

3rd Dukie
Cousins has no respect for Cal. Just got another glimpse.

I saw that as well.
Strikes me as a bit of a punk.
Can you even begin to imagine someone acting that way to Mike???

OldSchool
I'm betting Wall tries to single-handedly put the team on his back right now. He can score a blizzard of points in a hurry, but it's going to take a team effort by KY to mount a comeback.

3rd Dukie
03-27-2010, 09:08 PM
Has anyone even seen PP this half?

MChambers
03-27-2010, 09:10 PM
After getting WVa in a trap, with not a lot of time on the shot clock, a Ky player fouls, and as they go to timeout, Calipari is visibly upset. Not the way to lead a team. Nice to see. :)

OldSchool
03-27-2010, 09:10 PM

I saw him doing his JJ Redick impression, poorly at that.

Welcome2DaSlopes
03-27-2010, 09:11 PM

Na I think he went home early.

Kdogg
03-27-2010, 09:11 PM

Only if you count that 0% graduation rate at Ciny good. Really it takes skill to have a player for four years and still not have them graduate. At least Cal had programs at Mephis to get non pro players ready for life after basketball. It's one of the few things I give him credit for.

dairedevil
03-27-2010, 09:13 PM
Watching Kentucky makes me wonder how Calipari sells himself as such a great coach. These guys may be talented, but they are not much of a team. Imagine if they played defense - like Purdue. They've missed half their free throws. turnovers, bad shots, stupid fouls. What a waste! It pains me to say that Huggins looks like the better coach in this game.

If we can get by Baylor tomorrow, what would a game look like against wvu?

DevilHorns
03-27-2010, 09:14 PM
BS over and back calls. These refs, ergh!

Newton_14
03-27-2010, 09:14 PM
WHy is Mazzula on the bench??? WHat is Huggy thinking? He should have come in at the 5 minute mark.

Welcome2DaSlopes
03-27-2010, 09:15 PM
He's fouled out now.smh

GODUKEGO
03-27-2010, 09:16 PM
2:22 left up by 11

Newton_14
03-27-2010, 09:16 PM
Ref's doing all they can now to pull Kentucky out. The backcourt call and now the ridiculous foul call on Mazzula.

arrrrghhh

jkidd31
03-27-2010, 09:17 PM

Not totally a fair statement, when Huggins was at UC, he had quite a few JUCO's play for him who did get their degrees from UC. The way the graduation rates are calculated, these players don't count.

DevilHorns
03-27-2010, 09:18 PM
Now KY pressures and realizes what they could have done for the last 5 minutes. What a crap coaching job by Cal.

DevilHorns
03-27-2010, 09:20 PM
Bledsoe is completely Choke City this game. Freshman pressure.

jkidd31
03-27-2010, 09:21 PM
If we can get by Baylor tomorrow, what would a game look like against wvu?

Better then 2008. This team could grind one out.

DevilHorns
03-27-2010, 09:21 PM
we're talking about the game in the "non-duke elite 8" thread.

GO WVU!

Newton_14
03-27-2010, 09:22 PM
There is a thread on this game already. We have been discussing it since the tip-off...

DevilHorns
03-27-2010, 09:23 PM
Dumb foul. Woulda been 10 seconds. Come on WVU make those FTs!

dairedevil
Ky starting to hit some 3's. Duke fans know the game isn't over..we've seen 10 pts in less than 1 minute. And John Wall could take over like JWill.

WV has to hit the free throws.

Welcome2DaSlopes
Make these free throwssss!!!!!!!!!!

DevilHorns
03-27-2010, 09:25 PM
Please stop sucking up all that is J Wall. These announcers are a little ridiculous. If he's such a good student lets see if he gives any thought to stay at school and get a degree. Easy answer, he's going pro.

OldSchool
03-27-2010, 09:26 PM
Bledsoe is completely Choke City this game. Freshman pressure.

If Kentucky loses, you could argue that they lost this game at the free throw line, hitting only 52% for the game on 27 attempts with Bledsoe only 1 for 6 (and Wall only 50%).

DevilHorns
03-27-2010, 09:29 PM
If Kentucky loses, you could argue that they lost this game at the free throw line, hitting only 52% for the game on 27 attempts with Bledsoe only 1 for 6 (and Wall only 50%).

They've been a poor FT shooting team all year. This was an achilles heel for them. Not really an anomaly.

jkidd31
03-27-2010, 09:29 PM
The coaching, or lack there of, by Cal is a joke. His T/O 6 seconds before the under 4:00 time out makes you scratch your head.

Welcome2DaSlopes
03-27-2010, 09:30 PM
Please stop sucking up all that is J Wall. These announcers are a little ridiculous. If he's such a good student lets see if he gives any thought to stay at school and get a degree. Easy answer, he's going pro.

That doesn't reflect on him being a good student or not. If I was in his position and had a 4.0 I would still go pro. Not everyone has to stay all four years to be considered a good student.

jkidd31
03-27-2010, 09:31 PM
WVU has missed a few f/t down the stretch.

OldSchool
03-27-2010, 09:31 PM
They've been a poor FT shooting team all year. This was an achilles heel for them. Not really an anomaly.

Wall 76%, Bledsoe 69% for the season

DevilHorns
03-27-2010, 09:32 PM
That doesn't reflect on him being a good student or not. If I was in his position and had a 4.0 I would still go pro. Not everyone has to stay all four years to be considered a good student.

You're right. Just irritation on my part. To be fair, when we had JJ his senior year ESPN was pretty much JJ's show. J Wall has his own dance for crying out loud. He's on the big stage. It makes sense to talk him up.

Welcome2DaSlopes
Letss GOOOOO

Mcluhan

:rolleyes:

The wise choice would be to go pro.

Was there a lot of hand-wringing about Pete Sampras turning pro at 16? I don't recall.

Delaware
03-27-2010, 09:33 PM
... UK boosters and Calipari can't buy a championship!

HateCarolina
4.1 seconds and WVU has it!!!

Welcome2DaSlopes
You're right. Just irritation on my part. To be fair, when we had JJ his senior year ESPN was pretty much JJ's show. J Wall has his own dance for crying out loud. He's on the big stage. It makes sense to talk him up.

I do agree with you on that point though, everything this kids does is mentioned as greatness, I know he's good but geessh stop shoving him down our throats.

jkidd31
03-27-2010, 09:34 PM
Cousins and Wall can leave Lexington a week earlier then planned.

Newton_14
03-27-2010, 09:36 PM
Bye Bye Cal!! Ha Ha. I love it. Looks like that little video they made before the tourney started came back to bite them.

Just proves it takes more than talent to win this tournament.

theAlaskanBear
HEEEEELLLLLLLLLLLLLLL YES!

Huggins is the anti-Calipari! Now 8-1 vs Calipari coached teams.

NYDukie
the last #1 standing...let's keep it moving forward boys. I know it is one of those "tourney" year but lets get to the Final 4. Nice "meltdown" UK as many posters will know what I mean by the digs some reporters made to Coach K. And to most of the "experts", stop hating...LOL

TampaDukie
03-27-2010, 09:37 PM
Before the tourney started, I remember seeing so many "experts" predicting that Duke would be the first 1 seed bounced from the tournament. Feels nice to be the last one standing. It would be even nicer to be the only one to make it to Indy!

DevilHorns
03-27-2010, 09:38 PM
I wonder how letdown the UK fans really are. They havent seen these boys grow up over several seasons. This is pretty much a completely new crew. And guess what. They wont see this crew again next year. Time to fall in love with a random new group of kids. This is UK basketball. How can anyone be a fan of this?

TheRob8801
03-27-2010, 09:38 PM
You know what was great about this game?

I think we match up better against this WVU team than Kentucky if we could get by Baylor.

It was a perfect storm for WVU against the Wildcats. Kentucky couldn't drain the 3's...and because they fell behind, the pressure got to the young guys...because the pressure got to the young kids they missed a lot of FTs...because they missed alot of FTs they couldn't regain the lead...

WVU didn't look impressive to me in the least and looked very vulnerable off the miss.

I hate to look ahead, because Baylor is going to be a tough game...but if we edge past them, I like our chances against Huggins' boys.

DurhamMatt
03-27-2010, 09:39 PM
So now who is the favorite to win the title?

Caddiesense
03-27-2010, 09:41 PM
Maybe I'm biased, but I think we may be the only thing standing between you guys and a NC. I think, at least matchupwise, we probably offer you the toughest on paper compared with WVU or any of the other bracket.

jkidd31
Before the tourney started, I remember seeing so many "experts" predicting that Duke would be the first 1 seed bounced from the tournament. Feels nice to be the last one standing. It would be even nicer to be the only one to make it to Indy!

Touche'....lets just hope one #1 makes it to Indy.

Welcome2DaSlopes

Duke sucks in the tourny remember, so anyone but them(insert smily here)

SoCalDukeFan
I wonder how letdown the UK fans really are. They havent seen these boys grow up over several seasons. This is pretty much a completely new crew. And guess what. They wont see this crew again next year. Time to fall in love with a random new group of kids. This is UK basketball. How can anyone be a fan of this?

It is Calipari Basketball, which is now Kentucky basketball.

SoCal

GoingFor#5

I'm sure we are, but let's just take care of business.

FireOgilvie
03-27-2010, 09:42 PM

I would say obviously WVU along with the winner of the Duke/Baylor game. The other half of the bracket has had so many upsets it's looking pretty weak.

_Gary
03-27-2010, 09:44 PM
I'm sure we are, but let's just take care of business.

I'll say this right now: The winner of tomorrow's Duke/Baylor game is a huge favorite to win the national title. And I think the winner does win the title. You read it here first (maybe). :D

diveonthefloor
03-27-2010, 09:44 PM
There may be many pundits saying Baylor is the fav for the Nat Title now.

Let's prove them wrong.

jkidd31
03-27-2010, 09:45 PM
I would say obviously WVU along with the winner of the Duke/Baylor game. The other half of the bracket has had so many upsets it's looking pretty weak.

I wouldn't discount the winner of UT/MSU, or even Butler. To knock off #1 & #2 back to back is impressive. Plus Friday night they get to sleep in their own beds.

DukeDevilDeb
It is Calipari Basketball, which is now Kentucky basketball.

SoCal

... that they won't join the growing list of schools whose Final Four appearance has been vacated because of Calipari! :rolleyes:

Go US!!! Go Devils!

3rd Dukie

I think we match up better against this WVU team than Kentucky if we could get by Baylor.

It was a perfect storm for WVU against the Wildcats. Kentucky couldn't drain the 3's...and because they fell behind, the pressure got to the young guys...because the pressure got to the young kids they missed a lot of FTs...because they missed alot of FTs they couldn't regain the lead...

WVU didn't look impressive to me in the least and looked very vulnerable off the miss.

I hate to look ahead, because Baylor is going to be a tough game...but if we edge past them, I like our chances against Huggins' boys.

I agree. I might be very wrong, but WV reminds me more of Purdue than of anyone else. We proved we can handle that style.

Just my .02.

mgtr
03-27-2010, 09:46 PM
Kentucky administratioon has to be wondering if they screwed up big time giving Cal a great contract. He has all the talent in the world and con't win when it counts. Well, so much for one and done ball! Who does he have coming in for next year?

Welcome2DaSlopes
03-27-2010, 09:47 PM
Kentucky administratioon has to be wondering if they screwed up big time giving Cal a great contract. He has all the talent in the world and con't win when it counts. Well, so much for one and done ball! Who does he have coming in for next year?

Brandon Kight? Maybe, hopefully not.

DevilHorns
03-27-2010, 09:49 PM
Some quotes from Wildcatnation.net:

"I have a VERY empty feeling inside knowing that most of these players will not be back. It is just sickening. We had a golden opportunity to win this whole thing and completely choked"

"What's sad folks is that i sincerely thought deep down we had the team to do it this year...................."

"Bledsoe - no where near ready for the NBA but he wants to leave.

Orton - a joke that we would be consided in the 1st round but he wants to leave as bad as anyone."

"Cal HAS to practice FT's. It's a matter of practice. You can't just be good at it. You have to practice them!!!!! Wake up about the FT shooting John!"

alteran
03-27-2010, 09:51 PM
Tickets just became harder for UK fans to get if they win.

Not a problem. :D

Exiled_Devil
03-27-2010, 09:52 PM

In the first 10 minutes, WVU at their best looked exactly like us at our worst. I like that kind of match-up, too.

Delaware
03-27-2010, 09:54 PM
What's wrong with Kentucky? They haven't been to a final four SINCE 1998. Is this the end of them being a dominant program? They've only been past the Sweet 16 five times SINCE their last title in 1998. They are on the downside for sure.:D

DevilHorns
03-27-2010, 09:58 PM
what's wrong with kentucky? They haven't been to a final four since 1998. Is this the end of them being a dominant program? They've only been past the sweet 16 five times since their last title in 1998. They are on the downside for sure.:d

meltdown!

GoingFor#5
03-27-2010, 09:58 PM
What's wrong with Kentucky? They haven't been to a final four SINCE 1998. Is this the end of them being a dominant program? They've only been past the Sweet 16 five times SINCE their last title in 1998. They are on the downside for sure.:D

The funny thing about this is I am surprised. Given what you hear from the media, you would think Kentucky is in the Final 4 every other year while Duke routinely loses in the 1st and 2nd round.

jipops
03-27-2010, 10:03 PM

As many, many teams have seen, it is a gigantic mistake to discount Butler. I think they have been one of the more impressive teams in the tournament. They have been terrific on D and really know how to control the ball. Butler is the real deal, there is no weak on that side of the bracket.

DevilHorns
03-27-2010, 10:05 PM
Also from his twitter: "Jones and Ebanks just did a mocking version of the John Wall dance"

BobbyFan
03-27-2010, 10:06 PM
I wouldn't discount the winner of UT/MSU, or even Butler. To knock off #1 & #2 back to back is impressive.

Yeah, although some of the seeds in the FF may be relatively low, all are essentially top 25 teams and each has a realistic chance in a single game scenario.

Mudge
03-27-2010, 10:07 PM
Joe Mazzulla has Bootsied a high seed for the second time in 3 years, just like he did to Duke two years ago-- dude scores 16 against Kentucky today, when his season high was 8 points till now.

OldSchool
03-27-2010, 10:08 PM
As many, many teams have seen, it is a gigantic mistake to discount Butler. I think they have been one of the more impressive teams in the tournament. They have been terrific on D and really know how to control the ball. Butler is the real deal, there is no weak on that side of the bracket.

Butler hasn't lost since 2009. They are mentally a very tough basketball team.

Jarhead
03-27-2010, 10:10 PM
Yeah, and they are still obsessing over Laettner.

KandG
03-27-2010, 10:14 PM

Wouldn't discount Baylor or Butler. Butler has really, really impressed me this weekend, more than the Spartans or the Vols.

And though some in this thread are saying WVA's pressure is similar to Purdue's, West Virginia is a much better team. I just want us to take that next step, and lay it all out there tomorrow against Baylor. If we win tomorrow, then we can start dreaming bigger dreams.

GODUKEGO
03-27-2010, 10:14 PM
John Wall in a pressure game, 7-18 from the field, 1-5 from 3, 4-8 from the line, 5 turnovers and 5 fouls. Defensively, he consistency got beat. If you recorded the game go back and watch how many times he was missing in action on defense.

gumbomoop
03-27-2010, 10:17 PM
As many, many teams have seen, it is a gigantic mistake to discount Butler.

It's a gigantic mistake for any team, or anyone, to discount any of the remaining 6 teams.

Jay Bilas, among others, has repeated frequently that "There are no great teams this year." Sure looks that way.

Surely there is no obvious favorite, including Duke. Frankly, right now each of the remaining 6 should "like their chances." Lord knows I like ours, but only because our guys are capable of winning 3 more tough, tough games.

CDu
03-27-2010, 10:22 PM
There is a legitimate chance that Butler will be favored in their Final Four game. They'll be playing an injured MSU squad or a lower-seeded Tennessee squad. And it will be a home game for them either way. Crazy.

Lulu
03-27-2010, 10:38 PM
Isn't it a little presumptuous to say that Ky lost? Shouldn't we wait to see whether or not their whole season is vacated?

Devilsfan
03-27-2010, 10:49 PM
You can buy the best team ever but you still have to coach them. When your kids are mostly top NBA picks you have to wonder what incentive do they have in missing so many shots? They'll probably say that they were so young and the pressure just got to them. I just don't buy it.

DukeDevilDeb
03-27-2010, 10:57 PM
I went to the Kentucky basketball website, both curious and afraid of what I might see there.

You should take a look too: http://www.ukathletics.com/sports/m-baskbl/recaps/032710aaa.html

It is a very even-handed and correct article, giving West Virginia its due and saying that Kentucky played badly. One quote:

"The young Wildcats could have used West's famous shooting touch in this one. They were awful from 3-point range, missing their first 20 attempts and finishing a stunning 4 of 32 (12.5 percent). DeAndre Liggins finally hit a 3 with 3:29 left to end the drought, but by then it was too late."

You know what, I'm glad John Wall didn't come to Duke. I'm really pleased with the kids we have. And I am so, so proud of them!

Go Devils!

Eckster
03-27-2010, 11:10 PM

Kentucky did have a great season: only lost two games and were dominant in the tourney...until today. They shot poorly (pitiful from 3 and free throws horrible) and seemed to not know how to handle themselves in that situation. That can happen to any team on any given night but remember: they are (were) a very young team. Yes they had a lot of talent but experience matters as the number of teams gets smaller in the tournament. Still though, once the dust settles, I doubt anyone in Kentucky administration think they screwed up in their hire based on not winning this game. It was Cal that put together the team that even made it possible. Does anyone think this team would have been even this good w/o Cal being named the coach last year and getting the players he did?

Lulu
03-27-2010, 11:11 PM
You can buy the best team ever but you still have to coach them. When your kids are mostly top NBA picks you have to wonder what incentive do they have in missing so many shots? They'll probably say that they were so young and the pressure just got to them. I just don't buy it.

What in the world are you suggesting? I'd just like to be clear before this goes any further.

devildeac
03-27-2010, 11:12 PM
I felt like Elmore was cheering for KSU against Xavier too. He is constantly pointing out calls that go against KSU.

I am surprised he did not blame Duke for all the calls that went against KSU.:rolleyes:

weezie
03-27-2010, 11:29 PM
Well, somehow, the ky loss will be part of the vast pro-Duke conspiracy.

I very much enjoyed the exchange between Cousins and Cal midway during the 2nd half....they sure looked deeply unhappy with each other....

Mcluhan
03-27-2010, 11:30 PM
John Wall in a pressure game, 7-18 from the field, 1-5 from 3, 4-8 from the line, 5 turnovers and 5 fouls. Defensively, he consistency got beat. If you recorded the game go back and watch how many times he was missing in action on defense.

Looks strikingly like the type of line that is judged pretty darn good when put up by our big 3. Looks like the kind of line JWill was fully capable of putting up in seasons when he was dominating the college basketball landscape.

John Wall is not overrated.

devildeac
03-27-2010, 11:49 PM
Country roads,
Take me home...

:D

proelitedota
03-27-2010, 11:54 PM
http://memphissport.net/index.php?option=com_k2&view=item&id=382:west-virginia-73-kentucky-66&Itemid=177
:cool:

rthomas
03-27-2010, 11:59 PM
Country roads,
Take me home...

:D

Word.

GODUKEGO
03-28-2010, 12:15 AM
he was dominating the college basketball landscape.

John Wall is not overrated.

Dominating in his 16.6 points per game???, dominating in his 46% field goal %???, dominating in his 33% three point percentage???, dominating in his 4 turnovers per game??? Judging on his defense tonight dominating defensively???. Joe Mazzulla who has shoulder problems and said could barely shoot played nine less minutes than Wall and scored two less points than the player that was guarding or trying to guard him. Where exactly is he DOMINATING???

dom·i·nate: To exert a supreme, guiding influence on or over, To control, govern, or rule by superior authority or power

-bdbd
03-28-2010, 12:44 AM
Not there yet, but I think the WVU-KY result puts an additiional emotion into the Duke-Baylor game Sunday afternoon. All week I've been thinking, "Boy wouldn't it be great to get back to the Final Four. But then we play KY..." (sort of an inevitability feeling - I really expected them to walk away with it).

But now, well, the FF will be up for grabs for and ANYONE of the four teams can win it. If Duke (or Baylor for that matter) advances, they would NOT be considered any sort of a longshot by the oddsmakers. Wow! What a transformation in the last 9 days!!!

:D :D :D :D

Go Duke! Beat Baylor!!

Welcome2DaSlopes
03-28-2010, 12:59 AM
Wow! What a transformation in the last 9 days!!!

:D :D :D :D

Go Duke! Beat Baylor!!

True indeed

cptnflash
03-28-2010, 01:20 AM
Somehow West Virginia has already become the new consensus favorite to win it all. I was just listening to Mad Dog radio on Sirius/XM, and the host was talking about how WVU would beat the hell out of Duke IF we got by Baylor. Then he said, and this is close to an exact quote, "Here's the difference between West Virginia and Duke. West Virginia earned their way to the Final Four, starting with a win in the Big East Tournament. Nothing was handed to them." And I'm thinking, yeah, like the ACC regular season and tournament titles were just given to us? Really? We were just handed a #1 seed for no reason?

I swear, other than the nerds with computers (Pomeroy, Basketball Prospectus, etc.), no one thinks we're any good!

Welcome2DaSlopes
03-28-2010, 01:22 AM
Somehow West Virginia has already become the new consensus favorite to win it all. I was just listening to Mad Dog radio on Sirius/XM, and the host was talking about how WVU would beat the hell out of Duke IF we got by Baylor. Then he said, and this is close to an exact quote, "Here's the difference between West Virginia and Duke. West Virginia earned their way to the Final Four, starting with a win in the Big East Tournament. Nothing was handed to them." And I'm thinking, yeah, like the ACC regular season and tournament titles were just given to us? Really? We were just handed a #1 seed for no reason?

I swear, other than the nerds with computers (Pomeroy, Basketball Prospectus, etc.), no one thinks we're any good!

Hey but he had you listening right? to him I think that's what it's all about.

DevilHorns
03-28-2010, 01:24 AM

Thats fine. Let em hate. Lets take care of Baylor first. Think about WVU later. If WVU comes in with that attitude, riding the waves of the new "prohibitive favorite"... well, then they never truly learned anything from beating UK.

BulldogDancer81
03-28-2010, 03:57 AM
So it looks like I'm a little late to the party but that might be due to the celebration of my alma mater's first ever Final Four!!!! GO BULLDOGS!!!

But I just wanted to say how impressed and pleased I am with the respect everyone has shown Butler on this thread. It is not very often that I go to Big 6 message boards where they give us any credit. Usually it's a bunch of excuses as to why the other team lost not why Butler won. It's nice to see what I have known for a long time that the fans on this board are respectful and know their basketball.

Butler has shown night in and night out that if the defense is there all the way that they can win. And I have a feeling you guys here can relate to that because Duke also prides itself on great defense. Focus on defense is one of the main reasons why I feel in love with Duke 10 years ago. I still love the Blue Devils and I want them to go all the way to the National Championship game. That being said if they meet Butler I hope you all understand that I would have to cheer for my Bulldogs. But if Butler slips up against Mich St or Tennessee I am 100% behind Duke.

Oh and to the poster who said Butler vs. Duke would be an interesting matchup I agree 100%. Two great defensive teams, 2 versatile forwards, in my opinion the two classiest coaches in the game right now. It would be great.

Now just go out and beat Baylor tomorrow!!

Saratoga2
03-28-2010, 07:52 AM
When I did my brackets, I couldn't have been much further off on the West and Midwest where I had only Kansas St. I now realize Butler is an excellent and well coached defensive team with this kid Haywood being a top notched player.

On the East and South side I had the final 4 just right and had WVa beating Kentucky. My prediction was also for Duke to beat Baylor and to go on to the finals beating WVa. Hope that is right.

I see the keys to th Baylor game as: 1) Rebounding advantage, 2)Free throw shooting advantage, 3) Turnover advantage, 4) Solid and consistent defensive effort, 5) Solid offense from the big 3 with a growing offensive presense from the combined front line.

Looking forward to 5:00 pm. Those who wish to belittle Dukes road through the tournament should see that we had to beat a really good Purdue team and will face a quality opponent in Baylor. If we get that far, WVa was good enough to win the Big East tournament and take an underachieving Kentucky team out. There is no easy road to the finals, you have to earn it. You don't hear Kansas crying like Kentucky. They blew it and are big enough to admit it.

dukelifer
03-28-2010, 08:08 AM

On Friday- KY was the king and they were going to smoke the field. The experts really seem to not be very expert.

jkidd31
03-28-2010, 08:52 AM
Yeah, and they are still obsessing over Laettner.

Very true, I live in NKY and UK fans are still adament he should have been kicked out of that game. I've rewatched that game many time and IMO if Laettner hadn't dpne that Duke rolls them. That whole thing really fired UK up.

jkidd31
03-28-2010, 08:57 AM

Watching Sports Center, Digger and Davis expect Baylor to run all over us. Baylor is "too athletic". Vitale "Duke finds a way to get it done".

gumbomoop
03-28-2010, 09:04 AM
I just wanted to say how impressed and pleased I am with the respect everyone has shown Butler on this thread. It is not very often that I go to Big 6 message boards where they give us any credit. Usually it's a bunch of excuses as to why the other team lost not why Butler won. It's nice to see what I have known for a long time that the fans on this board are respectful and know their basketball.

Butler has shown night in and night out that if the defense is there all the way that they can win. And I have a feeling you guys here can relate to that because Duke also prides itself on great defense. Focus on defense is one of the main reasons why I feel in love with Duke 10 years ago. I still love the Blue Devils and I want them to go all the way to the National Championship game. That being said if they meet Butler I hope you all understand that I would have to cheer for my Bulldogs. But if Butler slips up against Mich St or Tennessee I am 100% behind Duke.

For obvious reasons, I'm totally biased in favor of Duke. That said, the "Butler story" is perhaps the most wonderful in college bball the last 2-3 years. Brad Stevens seems a perfect fit, a first-rate coach. Butler's players seem not to have gotten lots of offers from high majors, but they can play. They can play, every one of their 8-rotation. They do play. I'd sure like to have several of them on my team. No one could possibly say Butler hasn't earned its way to the FF. They appear to have been a bit underseeded, but they just went out and outplayed 2 strong teams in S16 and E8, including a gutty comeback yesterday when it appeared K-State might have captured the momentum.

I'm with Brad Stevens in wanting the FF in Hinkle, with its storied history that matches Cameron Indoor Stadium. I'm pretty sure Brad and I won't get our wish, but spiritually [?] at least, that's where a FF in Indy should be played.

Go Butler! Go Duke!

P.S. Both Duke and Butler will be preseason top 10 next year. I sure hope Stevens stays, and Hayward, too. They may well be the "rising-est" coach and player in the country. A great, great story.

ice-9
03-28-2010, 09:18 AM
I hate Calimari as much as the next guy, but let's be real -- WVU was very, very lucky to win that game. C'mon. 4-32?? That's ridiculous! And MANY of those shots were wide open.

If Kentucky had a normal shooting night (33% vs. 13%) they would have DESTROYED West Virginia.

Also, Wall had a terrible shooting game, yes. But look at that guy streak down the court. How many times did he find DeMarcus Cousins for the open dunk? This guy is an NBA player. The only real knock against him is his flat footed defense, but imagine what a demon he could've been if he had a decent coach. ;)

Frankly I'm relieved Kentucky lost. Because if you played this team 10 times, they'll probably beat you more than 5 times.

That said Mazzula played like a warrior. Stopping his penetration has to be at the top of the list to beating them.

The real NCAA championship game is going to be WVU vs. Duke/Baylor.

Tennessee, there's no way they can win this.

Michigan State has already outperformed by getting this far.

Butler is a legitimate championship contender, but they're not as talented as the three remaining teams in the East and South brackets.

Indoor66
03-28-2010, 09:23 AM
I hate Calimari as much as the next guy, but let's be real -- WVU was very, very lucky to win that game. C'mon. 4-32?? That's ridiculous! And MANY of those shots were wide open.

If Kentucky had a normal shooting night (33% vs. 13%) they would have DESTROYED West Virginia.

Also, Wall had a terrible shooting game, yes. But look at that guy streak down the court. How many times did he find DeMarcus Cousins for the open dunk? This guy is an NBA player. The only real knock against him is his flat footed defense, but imagine what a demon he could've been if he had a decent coach. ;)

Frankly I'm relieved Kentucky lost. Because if you played this team 10 times, they'll probably beat you more than 5 times.

That said Mazzula played like a warrior. Stopping his penetration has to be at the top of the list to beating them.

The real NCAA championship game is going to be WVU vs. Duke/Baylor.

Tennessee, there's no way they can win this.

Michigan State has already outperformed by getting this far.

Butler is a legitimate championship contender, but they're not as talented as the three remaining teams in the East and South brackets.

IF is the biggest word in sports and life. That is why they play the game. You can talk the game or you can play the game. WVa played.

ice-9
03-28-2010, 09:27 AM
Sure, but LUCK is a real variable in basketball games.

How unlucky were we that JJ Redick had the worst game of his career in the Sweet 16 against LSU? It doesn't mean that the team that year was bad -- we just couldn't overcome an uncharacteristically bad shooting night.

So yeah we can rip Cal and UK for losing and all that, but let's give them a little bit of respect. Many of the 3-pointers missed were WIDE OPEN. It had nothing to do with what WVU did. If anything, it allowed WVU to sag and prevent dribble penetration and Cousins from getting much air.

WVU was lucky to beat UK.

And no, I had WVU beating UK in my bracket.

dukelifer
03-28-2010, 09:28 AM

Well sometimes you have to find other ways to win if the shots are not falling- and sometimes they do not fall- no matter how wide open. UK needed to find another way and that night they could not. That's the tourney.

CDu
03-28-2010, 09:29 AM

Who cares what Mad Dog thinks? If we win, we win. If we lose, we lose. It doesn't matter what radio personalities think. They're paid to draw listeners, not be insightful.

Personally, I don't think its unreasonable at all to consider WVU the favorites. They've beaten better teams than us, and they've had more big wins. I wouldn't say we've been handed an easy path, but our path has indeed been easier (especially at the top) than WVU's path. WVU played better opponents in the Big East and has now beaten a better opponent in the NCAA tournament. WVU has beaten OSU, Georgetown twice, and now Kentucky. Two of those wins are better than any win we have, and the other two are basically as good as our best win.

But it all comes back to "who cares?" We'll either win or lose, and that's all that matters. Don't let the talking heads rile you up.

sagegrouse
03-28-2010, 09:30 AM
Very true, I live in NKY and UK fans are still adament he should have been kicked out of that game. I've rewatched that game many time and IMO if Laettner hadn't dpne that Duke rolls them. That whole thing really fired UK up.

The funny thing is, Kentucky Nation has managed to turn a sizable portion of the country against Laettner. Through his entire previous career (and this was Christian's third-to-last game) Laettner was viewed as a choir boy who could do not wrong. Oh, there was the technical here and there, but he was a real hero; besides, Christian looked like a choir boy.

The guy people ganged up on was Bobby Hurley. Most of that seemed to be related to his facial expressions on TV. He had a scowl that wouldn't quit. Of course, the ACC students, out of total physical jealousy of a small white guy who became an All-American, rode him pretty hard. (Hurrr-leeeee! Hurrr-leeeee!)

Revisionist history is now the opposite; talk about deleting Trotsky from Soviet history! "Christian was despised," UK fans now say. We have seen really dumb blogs this year that put Laettner near the top of the most disliked college players of all time. Can only be a function of no-life Kentucky fans taking it out on a rival who went 10-10, 10-10, 30 points against them in one of the best games of all time. Hurley? Oh, yeah! He was on that team wasn't he? No memory, except a latent sympathy for getting plowed into by a drunk driver after only seven games in the NBA.

Gee, what would happen to the country if our political parties decided they could sell a position by just repeating lie after lie after lie about socialism and death panels? Oh yeah! This is off-topic, isn't it.

sagegrouse
'Of course, all of this garbage from the state of Kentucky is a huge compliment to Duke. Why should the most powerful program in NCAA history, supported by an entire state, go nuts over a single private school 500 miles away.'

'Re giving Hurley grief: Duke students were not immune to this pathos: against Wake Forest reserve guard Rusty LaRue, it was "Oh no! Not Rusty!" in mock horror when he entered the game.'

CDu
03-28-2010, 09:33 AM
Sure, but LUCK is a real variable in basketball games.

How unlucky were we that JJ Redick had the worst game of his career in the Sweet 16 against LSU? It doesn't mean that the team that year was bad -- we just couldn't overcome an uncharacteristically bad shooting night.

So yeah we can rip Cal and UK for losing and all that, but let's give them a little bit of respect. Many of the 3-pointers missed were WIDE OPEN. It had nothing to do with what WVU did. If anything, it allowed WVU to sag and prevent dribble penetration and Cousins from getting much air.

WVU was lucky to beat UK.

And no, I had WVU beating UK in my bracket.

Agreed. And this is the part that makes the tournament both fun and a poor indicator of who was the best team. Are we worse than NC State? Obviously not. But had we played the game we played against State in the tournament, we'd be sent home. Is Kansas worse than UNI? No, but on that night UNI had the better day. Same for Butler vs Syracuse, and Georgetown vs Ohio. In a single-elimination format with this many rounds, crazy things often happen. Of all fan bases, we should know not to bash opponents for having a bad game in the tournament.

ice-9
03-28-2010, 09:48 AM
Who cares what Mad Dog thinks? If we win, we win. If we lose, we lose. It doesn't matter what radio personalities think. They're paid to draw listeners, not be insightful.

Personally, I don't think its unreasonable at all to consider WVU the favorites. They've beaten better teams than us, and they've had more big wins. I wouldn't say we've been handed an easy path, but our path has indeed been easier (especially at the top) than WVU's path. WVU played better opponents in the Big East and has now beaten a better opponent in the NCAA tournament. WVU has beaten OSU, Georgetown twice, and now Kentucky. Two of those wins are better than any win we have, and the other two are basically as good as our best win.

But it all comes back to "who cares?" We'll either win or lose, and that's all that matters. Don't let the talking heads rile you up.

For the NCAA tournament at least, I'm not sure WVU has the harder path.

WVU:
15 Morgant St
10 Missouri
11 Washington
1 Kentucky

Duke:
16 Arkansas Pine-Bluff
8 California
4 Purdue
3 Baylor

Average seed:
WVU - 9.25
Duke - 7.75

CDu
03-28-2010, 09:53 AM
For the NCAA tournament at least, I'm not sure WVU has the harder path.

WVU:
15 Morgant St
10 Missouri
11 Washington
1 Kentucky

Duke:
16 Arkansas Pine-Bluff
8 California
4 Purdue
3 Baylor

Average seed:
WVU - 9.25
Duke - 7.75

I didn't say WVU has had a harder path in the NCAA tournament. I was referring to the entire season. They have played and beaten tougher teams this season than we have. And they've played and beaten a much better team in the tournament than we have faced. We may very well be better than WVU (Sagarin and Pomeroy certainly think so), but we haven't proven it against the top-tier level of competition that WVU has.

mgtr
03-28-2010, 10:25 AM
We may very well be better than WVU (Sagarin and Pomeroy certainly think so), but we haven't proven it against the top-tier level of competition that WVU has.

What? We beat last year's national champ twice! What more could you possibly ask!:D

Neals384
03-28-2010, 11:08 AM
You know what, I'm glad John Wall didn't come to Duke. I'm really pleased with the kids we have. And I am so, so proud of them!

Go Devils!

I agree. If Wall had come to Duke and played defense like he did yesterday, he'd be riding the pine.

Indoor66
03-28-2010, 11:10 AM
I agree. If Wall had come to Duke and played defense like he did yesterday, he'd be riding the pine.

I thought the entire KY team looked like children who had their candy taken away. Very immature.

JohnGalt
03-28-2010, 11:13 AM
I thought the entire KY team looked like children who had their candy taken away. Very immature.

I agree. I mentioned this earlier in the year. They all looked as though were entitled to the NC because of how well regarded they all came in...

Papa John
03-28-2010, 11:16 AM
Ref's doing all they can now to pull Kentucky out. The backcourt call and now the ridiculous foul call on Mazzula.

arrrrghhh

It was actually two blown backcourt calls, one completely atrocious, and both in favor of Kentucky. The first was when Patterson caught an inbounds pass and tried to hand it off to Wall, it hit Wall's leg and went bounding into the backcourt. Wall picks it up, no whistle, dribbles down and drains a jumper. And it happen right in the line of sight of two officials. That had to be one of the more horrendous blown calls I have ever witnessed in my years of watching the NCAAs. It was obvious, it was basic, and it happened right in front of the official on that side of the court.

The second missed backcourt call--the one they incorrectly ruled a violation on WVU when the Ky defender was the one who actually knocked the ball into the backcourt--was at least defensible, given that the official who made the call was shielded from the play somewhat because the players backs were turned to him, so he clearly assumed that what had transpired was the the ball was deflected off the WVU player and into the backcourt [which was an incorrect assumption].

The 5th foul on Mazzula was also, I agree, ridiculous. They had been letting a lot of contact go, allowing the players to determine the outcome, so that whistle was completely baffling. Had they been calling the game tight, that whistle would have been warranted, as Mazzula was pretty much out of control and did make some contact [with his head, I believe, while trying to avoid the contact]. But given the banging nature of the game, that was a pretty ridiculous whistle.

theAlaskanBear
03-28-2010, 11:41 AM

Well they are 18yr olds, and they can turn on ESPN every day and listen to how great they are, how they are top two in the draft, how ashley judd does the john wall dance.

Their disbelief is not nearly as sickening as ESPNs fetishizing of the KY team.

And knock on wood, i pray we dont get those godwalful refs in any of our games.

Kdogg
03-28-2010, 01:07 PM
Well they are 18yr olds, and they can turn on ESPN every day and listen to how great they are, how they are top two in the draft, how ashley judd does the john wall dance.

Wall, Cousins, and Bledsoe are all closer to 20 than 18. They should be a little more mature. Of course it was senior Harris who pulls the Ademola Okulaja.

"I feel like we beat ourselves more then they beat us,' said guard Ramon Harris. He added: 'I still think we're the best team in the country, hands down.'"

http://www.cbssports.com/collegebasketball/story/13123295/kentucky-doesnt-get-its-moneys-worth-out-of-calipari?tag=headlines;headlines

Mudge
03-28-2010, 01:27 PM
First, da Butler did it, with a Hay(ward)-maker to the jaw of Syracuse, in the Salt Palace... then Da(Sean) Butler did it again, with a Boot(sy Mazzulla), to Kentucky's backside, in the Carrier Dome...

We can only hope that the same fate does not befall Professor Plum(lee) today in Houston...

dball
03-28-2010, 01:30 PM

Their disbelief is not nearly as sickening as ESPNs fetishizing of the KY team.

And knock on wood, i pray we dont get those godwalful refs in any of our games.

Don't think KY had any 18 year olds at beginning of this season and that is normal for elite athletes. There was a thread about this some time ago. That's why Andre is 18 even though he came early to school. As I recall, Hansbrough turned 24! prior to his senior season. By contrast, Brian Zoubek is still 21 (for another week or so). Interestingly, I believe all other starters on Duke's team are 21 with the exception of Jon at 22.

Vincetaylor
03-28-2010, 01:35 PM
I actually don't mind Wall at all. I think he handles himself pretty well and I'll be cheering for him in the NBA. Calipari and the KY fans are the ones who really get on my nerves.

CDu
03-28-2010, 01:47 PM
This is neither here nor there, but CBS has to be praying that MSU and Duke win today. I just can't see a Final Four of Tennessee, Butler, WVU, and Baylor being much of a media draw.

devildeac
03-28-2010, 01:59 PM
IF is the biggest word in sports and life. That is why they play the game. You can talk the game or you can play the game. WVa played.

Where have I heard that before...;):rolleyes:

OldSchool
03-28-2010, 02:31 PM
In the first five minutes, Tennessee is shooting 100% and MSU 75% from the field, and both teams perfect from three and from the line. Wow.

At this rate, we'll go to overtime at 120-120.

Welcome2DaSlopes
03-28-2010, 02:38 PM
In the first five minutes, Tennessee is shooting 100% and MSU 75% from the field, and both teams perfect from three and from the line. Wow.

At this rate, we'll go to overtime at 120-120.

True indeed, this is going to be a really high scoring game, lots of excitement.

mehmattski
03-28-2010, 02:40 PM
Both MSU and Tenn seem allergic to playing defense. At this moment I would take Butler and their defense over either one.

Dukeknights
03-28-2010, 02:52 PM
Tennessee vs M-State is a great game so far.

go MSU

Welcome2DaSlopes
03-28-2010, 02:53 PM
I'm going for Tennesse on this one.

OldSchool
03-28-2010, 03:17 PM
I'm going for Tennesse on this one.

I see the problem for Tennessee being that they have to cool off from 3 pt land at some point - I can't see them hitting 2/3 from 3 in the second half.

On the other hand, I can see Sparty continuing to win the rebounding battle - MSU has 9 offensive rebounds in the first half alone.

_Gary
03-28-2010, 04:06 PM
Tennessee will more than likely disappear like they do every year in the Tournament. I think they are better than MSU, but they'll probably choke out. Just seems like their M.O. most seasons they get into the Tournament. As long as they are running and playing uptempo they are fine. But make them play half court offense and they always seem to fade. We know MSU will be steady and play hard, which usually translates to a win in these type of games.

Welcome2DaSlopes
03-28-2010, 04:15 PM
HAHAH did you just see Williams tell his teammate to stfu haha. wow

theAlaskanBear
03-28-2010, 04:28 PM
Wall, Cousins, and Bledsoe are all closer to 20 than 18. They should be a little more mature. Of course it was senior Harris who pulls the Ademola Okulaja.

"I feel like we beat ourselves more then they beat us,' said guard Ramon Harris. He added: 'I still think we're the best team in the country, hands down.'"

http://www.cbssports.com/collegebasketball/story/13123295/kentucky-doesnt-get-its-moneys-worth-out-of-calipari?tag=headlines;headlines

This is true, it is easy forget that many elite basketball prospects spend 5 years due to prep schools before joining a university.

I take back my remarks about the age, but its still a valid point.

Welcome2DaSlopes
03-28-2010, 04:32 PM
WOW what a foul, bad play

devildownunder
03-28-2010, 04:33 PM
I love that Izzo didn't call a timeout after the free throws by Tennessee. Instead, he prepared his team and trusted his guys to execute. I wish more coaches would do that because I think most teams just expect the timeout in that situation, so if you actually plan to go without one, you catch guys off guard.

Welcome2DaSlopes
03-28-2010, 04:34 PM
He should have just tried to make it, but i mean i'm no coach so maybe it was a better play.

juise
03-28-2010, 04:35 PM
Tennessee setting up for a long throw-in, down by one, on the anniversary of "The Shot." Will MSU defend the inbound passer?

juise
03-28-2010, 04:36 PM
He should have just tried to make it, but i mean i'm no coach so maybe it was a better play.

If he makes it, the inbounder can run the baseline. That may make a difference.

Welcome2DaSlopes
03-28-2010, 04:37 PM
Bad Shot

RoyalBlue08
03-28-2010, 04:37 PM
I love that Izzo didn't call a timeout after the free throws by Tennessee. Instead, he prepared his team and trusted his guys to execute. I wish more coaches would do that because I think most teams just expect the timeout in that situation, so if you actually plan to go without one, you catch guys off guard.

I got to say, you have to respect what Izzo gets out of his team every March. If I can't have K (thankfully I can!), there is no other coach in the country I would want coaching my team.

devildownunder
03-28-2010, 04:40 PM
I got to say, you have to respect what Izzo gets out of his team every March. If I can't have K (thankfully I can!), there is no other coach in the country I would want coaching my team.

Izzo is tremendous. He seems to always get the most out of his teams, and not just in March. He's a great coach, seems like a really good guy and runs a good program. How can you not like him?

devildownunder
03-28-2010, 04:41 PM
Tennessee setting up for a long throw-in, down by one, on the anniversary of "The Shot." Will MSU defend the inbound passer?

Yes. :)

devildownunder
03-28-2010, 04:43 PM
CBS says 6 out of 12 Final Fours for Izzo and MSU.

Let's see, 1999, 2000, 2001, 2005, 2009, 2010.

Impressive.

NYC Duke Fan
03-28-2010, 04:44 PM

AMEN !!! Izzo can flat out coach.

How many McDonald"s All Americans, ( not that having them is any barometer), does he get a year?

Vincetaylor
03-28-2010, 04:44 PM

Totally agree. Izzo is the man. Great, great coach. Classy guy. Probably the best tourney coach in the country right now.

wiscodevil
03-28-2010, 04:50 PM
if the games weren't to be played in Indianapolis, Baylor is the only team that scares me. I would love to play MSU and WVU. We're better than Butler too, but I could see them putting together a magical run. Baylor is the test!

ice-9
03-28-2010, 04:56 PM
Paths to the Final Four --

WVU:
15 Morgant St
10 Missouri
11 Washington
1 Kentucky

Michigan St:
12 New Mexico St
4 Maryland
9 Northern Iowa
6 Tennessee

Butler
12 UTEP
13 Murray St
1 Syracuse
2 Kansas St

Duke :D:
16 Arkansas Pine-Bluff
8 California
4 Purdue
3 Baylor

Average seed:
WVU - 9.25
Michigan St - 7.75
Butler - 7
Duke - 7.75

Note how Michigan St did it. Won by 3 vs NMS, 2 vs Maryland on a buzzer beater, 7 vs UNI and now 1 vsTennessee. Yikes!

juise
03-28-2010, 04:57 PM
Totally agree. Izzo is the man. Great, great coach. Classy guy. Probably the best tourney coach in the country right now.

I was having the same thought this morning. I know K did some amazing things in the late 80's and early 90's, but right now it's hard to argue that Izzo's the best (at coaching in the tournament, I'd still take K for any randomly selected game).

Welcome2DaSlopes
03-28-2010, 08:54 PM
Discuss

cspan37421
03-28-2010, 09:15 PM
I like Izzo, but go Butler. The "Madness" part of March Madness is the little guy who knocks off the big guy, and Butler is a smallish school that has been knocking on the door a long time. Would like to see them advance.

YourLandlord
03-28-2010, 09:30 PM
I actually think Duke has a better shot against MSU. Butler is good. MSU is a lame duck without one of its stars. Go MSU!

Leck
03-28-2010, 10:36 PM
March is where the madness happens, but April is where reality sets in. Butler gets Izzo-ed.

mehmattski
03-28-2010, 10:44 PM
A week to prepare for an experienced coach cannot be understated, but I cannot help but continue to gush about Butler's defense against Syracuse and Kansas State this weekend. They held both teams to their season lows in points and near-lows in offensive efficiency. They held one of the best offensive rebounding teams in the country (KSU) to an OR% of just 25%. It should be noted that the other three teams left are also all in the top 10 in OR%.

Tennessee barely played defense against MSU, and Butler is going to be an eye opener. While the efficiency numbers don't really bear it out, my eyes told me that Butler plays relentless, in-your-face-for-95-feet defense, and should not be discounted on this stage, with a hometown crowd. MSU should know all about playing a national semifinal game with the crowd on their side.

mgtr
03-28-2010, 10:57 PM
Of course I want (and expect) to win against Wva, but I do worry about Butler. Where do these babyfaced newby coaches get off expecting to compete against us? It is manifestly unfair that they look like college juniors and are fielding great teams. Fortunately, experience may carry the day.

Welcome2DaSlopes
03-28-2010, 11:00 PM
I made a different thread for the non duke final four game and it was moved here? how so?

greybeard
03-28-2010, 11:34 PM

Shame, on the play before, I loved it that no 35 for Tenn. broke the defense down by taking it to the midle where Williams had a screen set. However, William came completely free in front of the rim on the screen and roll. Had the guy thrown it to him, instead of rising for the jumper and getting fouled, Pearl calls time out and who knows. wouldas and couldas.

I thought that what's his name, is it Chism, for Tenn. played lackluster all game. Had he showed any energy to get the ball, especially near the rim, could have been some real separation by Tenn. I like Izzo and his team, but thought Pearl and his team were better. Oh well.