PDA

View Full Version : Proud to be a Duke fan

CampbellBlueDevil
03-27-2010, 12:19 AM
I've just started viewing these forums within the past month and I've become accustomed to the intelligent and mature discussions found here. So today I went on to the IC forum to see what the UNC faithful are saying about the NIT and their team next year. I was honestly taken aback by the vast difference between these two forums. There was some honest and respectful discussion from some of the IC members, but for the most part it lacked in these areas.

I just glanced at the Duke-Purdue thread and they followed it with such hate as if they were avid Purdue fans. Between the claims that Coach K casts a negative shadow on college basketball as a whole and the complete disregard of credit for the teams within the NCAA tournament I found it quite disgusting.

So as the title says, I thank all the fellow Duke fans out there and particularly those that post on these boards. Now, lets take out Baylor in the Elite Eight!

Dukeknights
03-27-2010, 12:22 AM
i am also proud to be a Duke fan, not just now but all the time. Our program is run the right way and we have high academic standards that our players maintain.

This year's Duke team has been a great and fun team to watch. Everyone is a team player, everyone knows their roles. No one goes out of their elements to try to be someone they aren't. Also, this has been K's best coaching job in a while(IMO), and he has had a lot of them.

mgtr
03-27-2010, 12:46 AM
I just glanced at the Duke-Purdue thread and they followed it with such hate as if they were avid Purdue fans. Between the claims that Coach K casts a negative shadow on college basketball as a whole and the complete disregard of credit for the teams within the NCAA tournament I found it quite disgusting.

Right -- it sure was stupid to make him coach of the Olympic basketball team (twice!) Will these idiots never learn?:rolleyes:

-bdbd
03-27-2010, 02:19 AM
Right -- it sure was stupid to make him coach of the Olympic basketball team (twice!) Will these idiots never learn?:rolleyes:

Well, they ARE Carolina fans. Does that answer your question??

But back to the original post for this string: I enjoy going around to other fan sites and just lurking sometimes. Look, if their programs were awful then the sites would be empty. So I go in feeling like a kindred spirit most of the time, generally looking for other fans of the sport who have a different perspective. As you'd expect, some fan sites obviously take some pride in mature, civil, coherent, reasonable conversation. Recent ones I've seen that come to mind - Stanford, Navy and maybe UVA. Some others are just like IC, and generally over the top stupid and embarrassing. Honestly, if I were a proud alum of some of these schools I'd be sincerely embarrassed at just how uncivil, petty and plain stupid much of the conversation gets on these sites. Sites in this ugly vein that come to mind: IC, Kentucky, and Maryland (I swear there must be a system spell-checker there that forces everyone to use a "oo" spelling of "Duke") and maybe Fla. On these sites I tend to get bored quickly, b/c the "dialogue" often consistes of poor grammar, lots of explitives, lots of Kindergarten-type name-calling, "our school/coach/players can do no wrong" diatribes - and if you dare to insinuate otherwise you will be shouted down and insulted repeatedly, and rants on how EVIL/nasty/unethical/ugly the other teams are, as well as how the powers-that-be (refs, NCAA, announcers, vendors, etc) conspire to harm their team.

Sometimes it really makes you laugh at just how dumb, pathetic it gets. Like the man said, it really makes you proud to be a Duke fan. This is a class bunch at DBR, by and large, and the point is proven by the number of opposing fans who come here with the expectation of reasonable, respectful conversation.

:D:D:D

cptnflash
03-27-2010, 02:26 AM
Nothing makes you appreciate being a Duke fan like visiting a UNC message board. I actually have a lot of respect for UNC's basketball program, and therefore I sincerely hope that their fan base is inadequately represented by the small subset that chooses to express their opinion on the internet.

4decadedukie
03-27-2010, 08:15 AM
I am always proud to be affiliated with Duke, and competitive intercollegiate athletics is only one element of that pride (albeit a very visible one)!

davekay1971
03-27-2010, 08:32 AM
Nothing makes you appreciate being a Duke fan like visiting a UNC message board. I actually have a lot of respect for UNC's basketball program, and therefore I sincerely hope that their fan base is inadequately represented by the small subset that chooses to express their opinion on the internet.

In general, with a very obvious exception for DBR (credit the mods while we're patting ourselves on the back), the internet, like am sports radio call-ins, tend to represent the worst subset of fans. As anyone who lives and works in NC knows, most Carolina fans are decent enough sports fans. At the same time, the UNC fanbase has a definite tendency toward arrogance, myopia, and disrespect for other programs. Basically, they are absolutely convinced that theirs is far and away the best program in college ball.

It's a bad time to look at IC. They're as bitter and unpleasant over there as I've ever seen. A huge percentage of threads and comments over there would be locked or deleted on DBR. It's ugly.

GODUKEGO
03-27-2010, 08:34 AM
1. Thirteen of the hardest working, tenacious, well spoken, nicest gentlemen

2. The best venue in college sports. If you have not been to Cameron GO!!

3. The best Coach plus he is the USA coach!!

4. We do it the right way graduating our players. We are tied for sixth place with a rate of 92%.

http://tidesport.org/Grad%20Rates/2010_Mens_Bball_PR.pdf

5. The tenth best University in the world.

http://colleges.usnews.rankingsandreviews.com/best-colleges/national-universities-rankings

6. Lead by the Crazies, the best fans in the world.

And anyone wonders why there is so much envy and hate towards Duke!!!

TheFan
03-27-2010, 11:10 AM
you say tar holes ...I say fill in the blank.(there is a d and a coupld of OOs and a K). there is no difference between fan bases

I see a lot of criticism about IC..and its true its not a good board. but neither is devil den which is the duke opposite of IC

if you want a classy unc board go to carolinablue.com..its not as classy as this board but its better than IC

SoCalDukeFan
03-27-2010, 05:44 PM
Unfortunately I am banned from IC.

I merely asked if anyone was having an NIT Selection Show viewing party.

SoCal

Eckster
03-27-2010, 07:00 PM

SoCal

Badge of honor! :rolleyes:

bhop22
03-27-2010, 07:10 PM
That is AWESOME!!!

Scorp4me
03-27-2010, 11:17 PM
I'm proud as well. After being picked preason tied number 1 in the ACC they finished tied number 1. Won both the preseason NIT and the ACC tournaments. Finished the year ranked in the top 5 and chosen the third number 1 seed. Won over 30 games and is still playing. All in a year when a lot of the lower seeds have already lost (including all of the other #1 seeds). And in general been a fun team to watch improve, grow, and just a great group of guys to pull for.

And yet I heard on one of the local stations yesterday how if Duke lost to Purdue...Purdue which was a great team...that it would be a monumental loss and erase all of the positive gains Duke basketball has made this year. They won...and still some idiots will claim if Duke loses tomorrow and doesn't make it to the Final Four it will be further evidence of Duke's decline.

Yet more evidence of the ridiculous argument that overall program success is measured soley by 6 games in a one and done tournament.

weezie
03-27-2010, 11:36 PM

SoCal

You Devil, you!!!:cool:

CDu
03-27-2010, 11:46 PM
Judging a fan base based on internet message boards is a pretty poor measurement. There are wonderful fans of all of those other teams, just like there are classless Duke fans. Be thankful that DBR is generally a higher-quality message board than most. But I wouldn't jump to generalizations about fan bases.