PDA

View Full Version : Question from a unc fan

TheFan
03-26-2010, 01:45 AM
obviously this is a "what if" question...

Kentucky vs unc for the national championship...who you take?

Duvall
03-26-2010, 01:47 AM

Kentucky, ten times out of ten, without hesitation or reservation.

Fortunately, this point is extremely moot.

DevilHorns
03-26-2010, 01:47 AM

"Who you take?" --- meaning who I think will win... .well this year, uh, ya, don't need to answer that.

Who would I want to win? I would have to say UK..... (especially since it would be erased from the record books in about 3 years anyway :D)

SoCalDukeFan
03-26-2010, 01:48 AM
UK

And then we wait a year or two and the NCAA takes it away because Calipari did something wrong.

SoCal

TheFan
03-26-2010, 01:50 AM
yea I meant who would you pull for..

don't need to get responses to the who you think would win..lol.. although we only lost by 2 this year

Emeritus
03-26-2010, 01:57 AM
Up until this year when "The Devil Went Down to Kentucky" (apologies to Charlie Daniels) I would have said UK in a nanosecond. Now I would just hope they would play 10 overtimes, every player would foul out, and Huck & Crook would settle it with pistols at 10 paces.... I have massive hatred for both!

RockLobster
03-26-2010, 01:58 AM

don't need to get responses to the who you think would win..lol.. although we only lost by 2 this year

UK, but believe me, I would take no pleasure in doing so.

Welcome2DaSlopes
03-26-2010, 02:17 AM
I never pull for unc, unless it helps duke in a big way. So by defult UK

BlueDvl817
03-26-2010, 02:17 AM
Kentucky, for the reasons already mentioned. I mean, as our hated rival, I could never pull for UNC on principle, and most of my friends are UNC fans who get pretty smug when they have a year like last year. But while I hate to admit it, I have more respect for the UNC program, especially after UK stooped to hiring such a blatant cheater before this season.

DevilHorns
03-26-2010, 02:21 AM
Kentucky, for the reasons already mentioned. I mean, as our hated rival, I could never pull for UNC on principle, and most of my friends are UNC fans who get pretty smug when they have a year like last year. But while I hate to admit it, I have more respect for the UNC program, especially after UK stooped to hiring such a blatant cheater before this season.

True, I'll always respect UNC. I don't think they'd ever stoop so low to get someone like Cal.

Here comes a topic.... though I'd say Duke fans in general respect UNC, would you say UNC fans respect Duke?

TheFan
03-26-2010, 02:32 AM
Yes, I think unc fans respect duke without question. I know I do and I think fans of both schools take pride with being rivals with a respected program.

the unc vs duke game is in a class of its own

licc85
03-26-2010, 03:15 AM
neither, that would be the saddest NCAA championship ever. Although I will admit that I respect carolina infinitely more than UK. I disapprove of Calipari and everything he stands for. In addition, UK fans are MUCH more unpleasant and disrespectful of Duke than UNC fans in my experience as a whole.

BD80
03-26-2010, 06:24 AM

OK Fan, who would you rather get "lucky" with ... Rosie O'Donnell

http://newsbusters.org/static/2007/11/2007-11-05Rosie.jpg

or Roseanne Barr?

http://cdn-media.channelme.tv/media/images/000000/67/61/Njc~NzYx_large.jpg

moonpie23
03-26-2010, 06:27 AM

UK troll, all day long..........UK.

Chris4UNC
03-26-2010, 06:58 AM

Well, Carolina only lost by 2 points to Kentucky this year at Kentucky but really.....why are you asking this? If they played right now, here today, Kentucky would win without a doubt.

Chris4UNC
03-26-2010, 07:00 AM
neither, that would be the saddest NCAA championship ever. Although I will admit that I respect carolina infinitely more than UK. I disapprove of Calipari and everything he stands for. In addition, UK fans are MUCH more unpleasant and disrespectful of Duke than UNC fans in my experience as a whole.

....have a best friend who is a huge Duke fan. His work often takes him to Kentucky and he has said the same about UK fans.

hudlow
03-26-2010, 07:00 AM
UK troll

I didn't know there were any unc fans this year.

ABC!

hud

Chris4UNC
03-26-2010, 07:09 AM
True, I'll always respect UNC. I don't think they'd ever stoop so low to get someone like Cal.

Here comes a topic.... though I'd say Duke fans in general respect UNC, would you say UNC fans respect Duke?

You can't make a generalized statement about either group of fans. You are going to have all kinds of fans on both sides. I have heard fans of UNC and Duke make grossly inappropriate and unfounded comments. Anyone who knows and respects the game of basketball on either side of this war will always have respect for their arch-rival. What I love about this rivalry is that it goes beyond basketball. I have attended all manner of events involving these two schools and trust me, it could be a basket weaving contest and each side would be pumped up and ready for the kill.

Chris4UNC
03-26-2010, 07:11 AM
yikes!

Chris4UNC
03-26-2010, 07:12 AM
UK, but believe me, I would take no pleasure in doing so.

how original

Chris4UNC
03-26-2010, 07:16 AM
I didn't know there were any unc fans this year.

ABC!

hud

Excuse me? Win or lose I wore my colors with pride this year. I saw plenty of proud UNC fans wearing their Carolina blue. With a storied history like both Duke and UNC basketball have a bad season is no reason to crawl under a rock.

Chris4UNC
03-26-2010, 07:17 AM

UK, win at any cost.

jdj4duke
03-26-2010, 07:45 AM
Hijacked by IC!

Doesn't Duke have a game tonight?

bluepenguin
03-26-2010, 08:12 AM

Did you mean "for whom would you pull?" ;)

Nrrrrvous
03-26-2010, 08:20 AM
You can't make a generalized statement about either group of fans. You are going to have all kinds of fans on both sides. I have heard fans of UNC and Duke make grossly inappropriate and unfounded comments. Anyone who knows and respects the game of basketball on either side of this war will always have respect for their arch-rival. What I love about this rivalry is that it goes beyond basketball. I have attended all manner of events involving these two schools and trust me, it could be a basket weaving contest and each side would be pumped up and ready for the kill.

We would definitely kill them in basketweaving, even though it's a required course for graduation for them.

cspan37421
03-26-2010, 08:30 AM
Let's see. On the one hand,

UNC:

Seems to have run a clean program for a long time
Seems to have a coach with a clean record
Has academics that are broadly considered "public ivy"
Offers some joint courses with Duke, which is THE University of North Carolina :-)

UK

ummm ... better shade of blue is all I can come up with

I guess you know where I stand!

NYDukie
03-26-2010, 08:34 AM
I would root for UNC and let me explain based on the following points:

1. My take is that many posters here who state they would root unequivocally for UK are residents of North Carolina, and as a result have to deal day in and day out with ribbing that naturally occurs between Duke and UNC fans. Given the ebb and flow of which team is perceived top dog at specific moment of time, the receiving of criticism leads one side to root for UK rather than either Duke or UNC. I think if Duke had won the more recent championships, more Duke fans, not all, would be a more tolerant of a UNC win over UK for a championship. By myself residing in NYC, I don't have to deal with this and because of this, feel differently about this.

2. For me, UK and Calipari represent many aspects of what is wrong is college athletics. Calipari getting out of dodge just in time to avoid the rap at UMass and Memphis along with his used car salesman approach just makes need to take a shower right now. Plus the way he tries to "rationalize" UK's view amongst the media and national fan base is nauseating as though we should feel sorry for disrespecting them when many felt KU was the best team or they were the weakest #1. Hello, how many Duke articles must I reference about our #1 seed selection???? Hey Cal, you have 4 first rounders this year, borderline all lottery and probably 6-7 NBA players right now on your team, get over it! You guys have the "X" on your back, embrace it as it is what you always have wanted. Don't try to act like we are a bunch of idiots and don't realize you're trying to play us all as fools. As for their fan base, it goes without saying, with some exceptions, that there is great sense of entitlement amongst them more than any of the top programs. It is to be expected amongst the KU's, UCLA's, Duke's, UNC's and UK's to some extent but they are just too much in my opinion.

Ok, I said my peace and I know some will think it is blasphemous but it just comes from a big time Duke fan's different perspective who lives outside the "triangle" or North Carolina area. I'm interested to see how those who are outside feel about this, too!

moonpie23
03-26-2010, 08:35 AM
mods, please lock this stupid thread...

why is there a troll thread baiting us to come up with "good" things to like or respect about the 68th ranked team in the country...???

G man
03-26-2010, 08:43 AM
the utter nausea that I feel when I see kentucky blue can only be eclipsed by my disdain for Carolina blue, but I respect Carolina a lot more than I do Kentucky

tele
03-26-2010, 08:45 AM
neither, that would be the saddest NCAA championship ever. .

I think the original post must be talking about the NIT championship.

Buckeye Devil
03-26-2010, 08:46 AM
If Calipari is coaching UK, I could not root for the Mildcats. I could easily favor UK if Tubby Smith was the coach or some other respectable person.

If Tyler Hanstravel or some other despicable player was playing for UNC, it would be impossible for me to favor the 'Holes.

I would crawl in bed and hope for the Second Coming.

Poincaré
03-26-2010, 09:51 AM
Anyone who would root for UNC is crazy. I do not consider this a friendly rivalry. Carolina must burn!

Furthermore, consider this. Any UK championship under Calipari will be vacated at some point, whereas a UNC championship would not. If UK wins, nobody wins!! Isn't that the perfect ending?

94duke
03-26-2010, 09:56 AM
I would root for the meteor.

jipops
03-26-2010, 10:05 AM
I wouldn't watch it. The college basketball season would be over for me at that point. I would be fully vested in the NBA playoff chase.

monkey
03-26-2010, 10:11 AM
Is "head under pillow, hands on ears, shouting la la la throughout the game" an option?

RoyalBlue08
03-26-2010, 10:15 AM
I'd root for Kentucky, their victory is the most likely to be vacated.

Matches
03-26-2010, 10:20 AM
Surely such a thing would not be on TV. The FCC is pretty strict about obscenity on the airwaves.

Andre Buckner Fan
03-26-2010, 10:40 AM
If "Coach" Roy Williams thinks that one bad basketball season is worse than a tragedy in Haiti, then I'd have to say that a UK-UNC finals would be worse than the Gulag.
:D

bluedevil2012
03-26-2010, 10:50 AM
I'd have to root for UK, b/c if Carolina won another NC, then they'd have 2x as many as Duke, and Roy would have as many as Coach K. Unacceptable.

Son of Mojo
03-26-2010, 11:12 AM
I'm in agreement of throwing out the entire discussion because the prospect of these two playing for the title has just given me a stomach ache. However, as an alternative, how about a steel cage match between.......hmmmm, Cousins and Beaker? Then you could throw in Roybag and Calipari as managers to interfere and be chaired. To throw our slant into it, we could have a set of our own refs/enforcers: Christensen, Davidson, Boozer, Brand, James, and Singler (and I'm sure some others could participate) with Buckner as the in-ring ref. As some spice Ashley Judd could be a ring announcer. Let Beaker and Cousins do all their dirty work and plays to both be disqualified so neither win!! Ok............I have put entirely too much thought into this. Back to work and to concentrate on our game tonight.

left_hook_lacey
03-26-2010, 11:13 AM
If you asked me this years ago, I would have responded quickly and confindently that I would never cheer for UNC. But things change, I would pull for UNC in that game today. It wouldn't be that I would be pulling for UNC as much as rooting against Kentucky. I am really disgusted with the state of that program right now. When I was watching Kentucky play Cornell last night, my blood really started to boil.

I felt like I was watching real college basketball team(Cornell) playing against an NBDL team(Kentucky). On one side, you have a team full of players that could care less about college in general, and probably could care less about the "Kentucky" across their jerseys.

On the other side, you have a team full of players that will be part of the future of this country, and have dedicated themselves to academics at a young age, and they simply love to play basketball. That's what a college team is supposed to be.

And what's worse, after every steal and fast-break dunk, these Kentucky players pounded their chests, yelled into the crowd as if they accomplished something great, while the Kentucky faithful in the stands applauded it. Congratulations Kentucky. You have a semi-pro team that could care less about your school or you program.

Kentucky players, if you want to impress me, get accepted to Cornell, that's something to really pound your chest about.

Sorry, I'm venting.

p.s. CBS, for the last time, please stop praising Calipari for having several 30 win seasons in a row. His last season at Memphis was vacated.

dairedevil
03-26-2010, 11:34 AM
If it weren't for the stench around Calipari, I would have to say UK. I know that their fans can be really obnoxious (as just about any schools fans can be), but you gotta laugh that they can wear this with pride:

http://www.zazzle.com/we_love_our_cousins_in_kentucky_tshirt-235459851227661754

I've got family in Kentucky, and they had a facebook thread about how cool this was, gotta get one, etc. All I could think was, do you really want to walk around with that on your chest? Talk about stereotypes!

Devilsfan
03-26-2010, 11:46 AM
Ky 2010 would beat unc 2009. Wall > Lawson, Cousins > Hanstravel, Bledsoe = Green, Patterson > Davis etc. etc. etc. And I'd say as sleezy as he is, Cal > ol'roy.

GODUKEGO
03-26-2010, 11:53 AM
I am really disgusted with the state of that program right now. When I was watching Kentucky play Cornell last night, my blood really started to boil.

I felt like I was watching real college basketball team(Cornell) playing against an NBDL team(Kentucky). On one side, you have a team full of players that could care less about college in general, and probably could care less about the "Kentucky" across their jerseys.

On the other side, you have a team full of players that will be part of the future of this country, and have dedicated themselves to academics at a young age, and they simply love to play basketball. That's what a college team is supposed to be.

And what's worse, after every steal and fast-break dunk, these Kentucky players pounded their chests, yelled into the crowd as if they accomplished something great, while the Kentucky faithful in the stands applauded it. Congratulations Kentucky. You have a semi-pro team that could care less about your school or you program.

Kentucky players, if you want to impress me, get accepted to Cornell, that's something to really pound your chest about.

Sorry, I'm venting.

p.s. CBS, for the last time, please stop praising Calipari for having several 30 win seasons in a row. His last season at Memphis was vacated.

I agree 100% with you. Kentucky’s graduation rate scorecard for its black players for the last six years reads like this: 18, 17, 9, 17, 17, zero. On Maddog radio yesterday three straight calls were from Kentucky fan's and alumni defending this by saying there players go to the pros and do not need a degree. I did research and over the last 30 years they have had 36 players play in the NBA. This includes some that played just one or two years. If you do the math thirteen players on a roster over thirty years they had 390 players with 36 going to the NBA. The other 354 who did not get drafted and did not graduate where are they now. They run a puppy mill in Lexington.

http://www.boston.com/bostonglobe/editorial_opinion/oped/articles/2010/03/16/ncaa_fouls_on_grad_rate_commitment/

Welcome2DaSlopes
03-26-2010, 11:57 AM
Ky 2010 would beat unc 2009. Wall > Lawson, Cousins > Hanstravel, Bledsoe = Green, Patterson > Davis etc. etc. etc. And I'd say as sleezy as he is, Cal > ol'roy.

I don't know about that, The Heels had more experience and were together a lot longer. But that doesn't mean they would have won, interesting game though.

ReformedAggie
03-26-2010, 12:12 PM
I'd watch cricket.

uh_no
03-26-2010, 12:16 PM

sort of like how UK almost lost to miss st the other week....and how they couldn't pull away from a nonathletic cornell team.....they might be talented, but they're inexperienced and clearly not the smartest players

kmspeaks
03-26-2010, 12:38 PM
The answer to this question requires only 3 letters
ABC

TheFan
03-26-2010, 01:27 PM
trolling- Snarky and semi-insulting comments mainly to get under the skin of posters

moonpie- how is asking for an opinion on who you would cheer for "semi-insulting" and aimed to get under the skin of posters

magjayran
03-26-2010, 01:36 PM
I cheer for Kentucky to beat UNC every year when they play each other in basketball anyway. No brainer for me.

-bdbd
03-26-2010, 03:42 PM

Chris - that sure is an unattractive faded-blue avatar there buddy - while I agree with your broad statement above, it is sort of a pretty obvious/safe one to make. There's always some fans of any team that are going to do/say stupid, inappropriate things. No doubt. But the point of the question was broader: while most Duke fans would (begrudgingly) acknowledge their "respect" for the NC b-ball program, what do you/we think would be the preponderance of views from the "wrong" (western) end of 15-501? :confused: Since years ago, when I used to date someone who graduated from and worked in Chapel Hill, I have spent time amongst the the NC faithful and even on some websites like IC. I think I can say pretty safely that there is nowhere near the level of respect or dignified discussion that is shown here amongst the Duke fans towards NC in general. A lot of that pettiness just wouldn't be tollerated over here (again, not making a "100%, blanket" statement, but I think a fair generalization).

As for the original question re NC@CH vs KY, well, I think it'd be a really good year to take that overseas early-April vacation I've been meaning to do... I think you'll find that most Duke fans, while not necessarily respecting KY and their coach, etc., generally don't care much either way about UK. I for one have long been amused at how the anger/hate in that relationship is so one-directional (beginning, oh, about 18 years ago.....). :D

hudlow
03-26-2010, 05:53 PM
Excuse me? Win or lose I wore my colors with pride this year. I saw plenty of proud UNC fans wearing their Carolina blue. With a storied history like both Duke and UNC basketball have a bad season is no reason to crawl under a rock.

In other words - you have so much Carolina attire that you don't have any choice if you want to wear clean clothes occasionally....

hud

cato
03-26-2010, 06:11 PM

Dude, UK almost lost to UNC -- this year (http://espn.go.com/ncb/boxscore?gameId=293390096)! If they had difficulty handling the keystone kops version of kerlina, imagine their trouble with a real UNC team.

And I hate to defend Roy, but last I checked, 2 > 0*.

*Losses later vacated.

moonpie23
03-26-2010, 06:25 PM
trolling- Snarky and semi-insulting comments mainly to get under the skin of posters

moonpie- how is asking for an opinion on who you would cheer for "semi-insulting" and aimed to get under the skin of posters

don't know where your definition of trolling came from, but mine is:

showing up on a chat board to throw out something you know is gonna harsh the usual suspect's mellow....

and this thread is HARSHING MY MELLOW...

don't you have some sheep to hang out with?

cato
03-26-2010, 06:54 PM
Dude, UK almost lost to UNC -- this year (http://espn.go.com/ncb/boxscore?gameId=293390096)! If they had difficulty handling the keystone kops version of kerlina, imagine their trouble with a real UNC team.

And I hate to defend Roy, but last I checked, 2 > 0*.

*Losses later vacated.

To get that bad taste out of my mouth, I thought I'd share an amusing bit from yesterday's interview with the boys:

Q. Did anybody watch the NIT game the other night?
BRIAN ZOUBEK: I didn't.
LANCE THOMAS: No, I didn't.
JON SCHEYER: No.

cspan37421
03-26-2010, 07:04 PM
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=C6cxNR9ML8k

BD80
03-26-2010, 07:52 PM
Hijacked by IC!

Doesn't Duke have a game tonight? :D Of course, by that you mean a REAL game. A game that matters!

To get that bad taste out of my mouth, I thought I'd share an amusing bit from yesterday's interview with the boys:

Q. Did anybody watch the NIT game the other night?
BRIAN ZOUBEK: I didn't.
LANCE THOMAS: No, I didn't.
JON SCHEYER: No

I would have watched it, but I don't get "The Ocho!" ("If it's almost a sport, we've got it!")

OK. I wouldn't have watched it. But it is fun to refer to the unc basketball as "almost a sport!"

JBDuke
03-26-2010, 07:56 PM
I think this has run its course, and there's not much to be gained by leaving it open.