PDA

View Full Version : Duke Offers Johnny O'Bryant

flyingdutchdevil
03-25-2010, 02:25 PM
Apparently, Duke offered another 2011 recruit:

http://bluedevilinsider.wordpress.com/2010/03/25/duke-offers-center-johnny-obryant/

And they said Coach K isn't casting a wide enough net...

Cockabeau
03-25-2010, 02:29 PM
This guy is a beast....gotta love our recruiting

BlueintheFace
03-25-2010, 03:08 PM
I don't believe that is accurate.

GODUKEGO
03-25-2010, 03:12 PM
It just keeps rolling, ESPN has him ranked sixth in the class of 2011. Benefits of a year like we are having!!!

http://espn.go.com/mens-college-basketball/recruiting/

NashvilleDevil
03-25-2010, 03:12 PM
I don't believe that is accurate.

Why do you say that?

JohnGalt
03-25-2010, 03:51 PM
It just keeps rolling, ESPN has him ranked sixth in the class of 2011. Benefits of a year like we are having!!!

http://espn.go.com/mens-college-basketball/recruiting/

I don't understand this. These are just offers.

CameronBornAndBred
03-25-2010, 03:52 PM
So he was offered "a couple of weeks ago" and this is the first we've heard of it? Why the silence?

CameronBornAndBred
03-25-2010, 03:54 PM
At 6'9", he's a short center. The article calls him a forward, except for the title. I guess someone assumes he's still growing.

AlaskanAssassin
03-25-2010, 03:57 PM
K is definitely determined to get that NC within the next couple of years. I'm happy to see this.

JohnGalt
03-25-2010, 03:57 PM
At 6'9", he's a short center. The article calls him a forward, except for the title. I guess someone assumes he's still growing.

Back in November he said his 3 favorites were:
1. Ole Miss
2. Memphis

And...

3. Harvard?

...weird...well it wouldn't be the first time K snatched a big man from one of his former player's programs...

SCMatt33
03-25-2010, 04:00 PM

At the NBA level maybe. Brand and Shelden are both 6'9" and so is Hansblah. You can still dominate the middle at the college level at 6'9". It doesn't really matter what they call you.

UrinalCake
03-25-2010, 04:06 PM
Interesting; the article says that he and Tyler Adams are in touch with each other and even talked about the possibility of playing together. Can you imagine two guys totalling 500lbs patrolling the lane? That would be awesome. Not to get ahead of ourselves or anything 8-)

GODUKEGO
03-25-2010, 04:14 PM
The description attached sound excatly what we need to pick up any of the few misses of Andre, Seth or Kyrie. He sounds like Zoub since the last 10 games.

http://insider.espn.go.com/ncb/recruiting/tracker/player?recruitId=58503&season=2011&action=login&appRedirect=http%3a%2f%2finsider.espn.go.com%2fncb %2frecruiting%2ftracker%2fplayer%3frecruitId%3d585 03%26season%3d2011

Turtleboy
03-25-2010, 04:16 PM
Interesting; the article says that he and Tyler Adams are in touch with each other and even talked about the possibility of playing together. Can you imagine two guys totalling 500lbs patrolling the lane? That would be awesome. Like Brian and Miles, for example?

Hectors Grease Fire
03-25-2010, 04:26 PM
"ICan you imagine two guys totalling 500lbs patrolling the lane? That would be awesome."

Didn't do much for my JCC team

OldPhiKap
03-25-2010, 04:31 PM
"Can you imagine two guys totalling 500lbs patrolling the lane?"

Sounds like my bowling league.

airowe
03-25-2010, 04:41 PM
I'm fairly sure he doesn't have an offer, FWIW...

bluedevil2012
03-25-2010, 04:48 PM
Interesting; the article says that he and Tyler Adams are in touch with each other and even talked about the possibility of playing together.

I think their mutually offered schools are Memphis, Mississippi, Mississippi St, Florida, Alabama, and Duke (if we really did offer him). But he also said they talked about competing for a national championship together. Not to read to far into that, but if I wanted to compete for an NC, I would be leaning towards Duke (of those schools).

cspan37421
03-25-2010, 04:59 PM
It's a particularly good moment to be going after tomorrow's big men. Ours are still playing, and playing really well. Zoubs was in this week's SI - again! And Scheyer is next to him - with another awkward expression.

All that said, to me, there's only one Johnny from Duke. So far - perhaps he'll be Brand-like and I'll have to admit another.

BD80
03-25-2010, 05:14 PM
... Can you imagine two guys totalling 500lbs patrolling the lane? ...

Like Sean May and Christopher Mintz-Plasse?

http://www1.pictures.zimbio.com/gi/Columbia+Pictures+Presents+World+Premiere+RrQJDXFp tbXl.jpg

Jderf
03-25-2010, 05:14 PM

How do you know?

CameronBornAndBred
03-25-2010, 05:18 PM
I agree. Like I posted earlier, if he was offered weeks ago, according to him, why are we just learning it now? Scout doesn't have Duke listed as an offer on their profile.
http://scouthoops.scout.com/a.z?s=75&p=8&c=1&nid=3725630

He also shrunk an inch on Scout's profile...6'8".

airowe
03-25-2010, 05:31 PM
How do you know?

According to Duke, he doesn't have an offer. I still can't find where that quote actually came from. I saw it posted on here in the Tyler Adams thread but the post was deleted I believe and then I traced it back to a Mississippi State ESPN Message board where someone posted it with no link. It's not in any online article in the Clarion Ledger or whatever that paper it was supposed to be in.

Also, on that MSU ESPN Message Board, someone asked if they could post the quote on here. I'm still trying to find that message board to find out who brought it over here.

Regardless, according to Duke. He doesn't have an offer.

ETA: It was actually an LSU site.

http://www.tigerdroppings.com/rant/messagetopic.asp?p=18559044&pg=1

Anyone know KEYS OPEN DOORS?

This was the first time this quote was ever posted online as far as I can tell.

watzone
03-25-2010, 06:13 PM
Darn rumors. Duke has bit offered this kid and that is from an impeccable source.

DevilHorns
03-25-2010, 06:17 PM
Darn rumors. Duke has bit offered this kid and that is from an impeccable source.

by "bit" do you mean "not"?

brevity
03-25-2010, 06:20 PM

Gotta be "not." Look at your keyboard: B is next to N, I is next to O.

DevilHorns
03-25-2010, 06:23 PM
Gotta be "not." Look at your keyboard: B is next to N, I is next to O.

Yea, thats what i was thinking....

watzone
03-25-2010, 06:34 PM
Yes, typo's. Here is the problem with the internet and Duke hates inaccuracies. Here is the site which reported O'Briant was offered - http://bluedevilinsider.wordpress.com/about/

No name is signed to the work, no contact information, no about information, nothing but article on Duke recruits that come from where? These sites pop up every other day and there is no credibility to them. Anyone can take recruiting info and make it their own.

If this is your site, own up to it and use your name, please.

airowe
03-25-2010, 06:39 PM
Yes, typo's. Here is the problem with the internet and Duke hates inaccuracies. Here is the site which reported O'Briant was offered - http://bluedevilinsider.wordpress.com/about/

No name is signed to the work, no contact information, no about information, nothing but article on Duke recruits that come from where? These sites pop up every other day and there is no credibility to them. Anyone can take recruiting info and make it their own.

This has to be great for sites like yours though watzone. This guy had been running out some ok info lately, but it's obviously second-hand info and/or not fact-checked very well.

If you want real Duke Basketball Recruiting info, you're not going to get it for free...

JG Nothing
03-25-2010, 07:30 PM

No, if you read more carefully, here is the site that reported O'Bryant's offer.
http://memphisroar.com/2010/03/obryant-grabs-another-offer/#more-6647
The article directly quotes O'Bryant as claiming he has an offer from Duke.

airowe
03-25-2010, 07:46 PM
No, if you read more carefully, here is the site that reported O'Bryant's offer.

The article on MemphisRoar.com actually directly quotes a message board post. Find me the article from The Clarion Ledger.

Regardless, he doesn't have a Duke offer.

Greg_Newton
03-25-2010, 08:03 PM
The article on MemphisRoar.com actually directly quotes a message board post. Find me the article from The Clarion Ledger.

I'm not disputing that O'Bryant hasn't been offered, but I think you're misreading that passage. The Clarion Ledger reference reads "...Dandy Dozen member (via The Clarion Ledger)...", which I believe means he was selected to some "Dandy Dozen" all-prep team by the Clarion Ledger... not that the preceding quote was via the Clarion Ledger.

JG Nothing
03-25-2010, 08:10 PM

Once again, no. The Clarion Ledger is referenced because it publishes the "Dandy Dozen." At the end of the article it states:
"This article features quotes and portions of an article by Paul Jones of the Mississippi State ESPN Affilliate, BulldawgJunction. Jones is the Senior Writer for BullDawgJunction.com."

So, if O'Bryant does not have an offer, then Jones misquoted O'Bryant, O'Bryant misspoke or misunderstood his conversation with Duke, or your sources are wrong.

airowe
03-25-2010, 08:22 PM
I'm not disputing that O'Bryant hasn't been offered, but I think you're misreading that passage. The Clarion Ledger reference reads "...Dandy Dozen member (via The Clarion Ledger)...", which I believe means he was selected to some "Dandy Dozen" all-prep team by the Clarion Ledger... not that the preceding quote was via the Clarion Ledger.

Gotcha.

Here's the link for that article, which is Premium:

http://bulldawgjunction.com/news/story.php?article=3971

Still, O'Bryant does not currently have an offer from Duke.

BD80
03-25-2010, 08:29 PM
does Tyler Adams officially have an offer?

airowe
03-25-2010, 08:55 PM
does Tyler Adams officially have an offer?

Yes.

watzone
03-25-2010, 10:07 PM

My bad then. I was a bit brutal but I am a big believer that if you are going to cover sensitive issues like recruiting and you want to be taken seriously, you should drop a hint at sources or a name or something. Texas sun got to me;)

Welcome2DaSlopes
03-25-2010, 11:30 PM
Kool, sounds like a great ball player.

JG Nothing
03-26-2010, 12:04 AM
My bad then. I was a bit brutal but I am a big believer that if you are going to cover sensitive issues like recruiting and you want to be taken seriously, you should drop a hint at sources or a name or something. Texas sun got to me;)

Fair enough and, for what it's worth, I agree with you. Let's go Duke!

flyingdutchdevil
03-26-2010, 03:33 AM
My bad for initially posting. That Blue Devil Insider has been fairly right in the past. I now know better than to post info from them ;)

Cisco
03-26-2010, 06:28 AM
I would Love having both of these guys :D

How would you know if Duke hasnt offered O'Bryant yet if your not a part of the recruiting staff anyway? especially if O'Bryant believes he's been offered?

Coballs
03-29-2010, 05:08 PM
According to this site, Duke has offered 2011 PF Johnny O'Bryant and may be receiving a committment from Tyler Adams. If this information is accurate, it seems to suggest that we might be backing off Quincy Miller. This is probably the right approach if the coaching staff gets the sense that Miller is earmarked for Kentucky.

http://www.coast2coastrecruiting.net/2010/03/duke-offers-johnny-o-bryant.html

Welcome2DaSlopes
03-29-2010, 05:12 PM
Kool he's rated #6 overall in espn rankings.

http://insider.espn.go.com/ncb/recruiting/tracker/player?recruitId=58503&season=2011&action=login&appRedirect=http%3a%2f%2finsider.espn.go.com%2fncb %2frecruiting%2ftracker%2fplayer%3frecruitId%3d585 03%26season%3d2011

airowe
03-29-2010, 05:13 PM
Unfortunately, we haven't offered O'Bryant. He may get an offer at some point down the line, but it's simply early evaluation at this point...

There's another thread on just this topic.

FireOgilvie
03-29-2010, 06:31 PM
If this information is accurate, it seems to suggest that we might be backing off Quincy Miller. This is probably the right approach if the coaching staff gets the sense that Miller is earmarked for Kentucky.

I don't think Quincy Miller and O'Bryant would be mutually exclusive.

Greg_Newton
03-29-2010, 08:53 PM
I'm not sure how thrilled I am to hear Tyler Adams may be committing soon. IF (knock on wood) Rivers picks the good guys, we'd have room for 2 of Miller, O'Bryant, Plumlee and Adams. I'd be thrilled with either Miller or O'Bryant, who are top 10 gamechanging recruits. If Plumlee continues to develop, he'd be a nice 3-4 year guy. Adams, however, seems like a much bigger risk - only a borderline top 100 recruit with questions about work ethic (posted earlier, I don't remember where).

Diamonds in the rough like Felix are great... in moderation. We've got some great role player-types coming in in Felix, Hairston, Thornton, and Gbinije, and now I would really like to focus on snagging a couple big-time recruits in 2011.

DevilHorns
03-29-2010, 08:56 PM
We've got some great role player-types coming in in Felix, Hairston, Thornton, and Gbinije, and now I would really like to focus on snagging a couple big-time recruits in 2011.

Is Hairston a role-player?

He has a 97 on ESPN. I think more is expected of him than that.

Spam Filter
03-29-2010, 08:58 PM
Adams is going to move up the recruiting rankings, and Gbinije is a top 20 player, Hairston is top 30, I don't think we're just recruiting role players.

Dukeknights
03-29-2010, 09:01 PM
I'm not sure how thrilled I am to hear Tyler Adams may be committing soon. IF (knock on wood) Rivers picks the good guys, we'd have room for 2 of Miller, O'Bryant, Plumlee and Adams. I'd be thrilled with either Miller or O'Bryant, who are top 10 gamechanging recruits. If Plumlee continues to develop, he'd be a nice 3-4 year guy. Adams, however, seems like a much bigger risk - only a borderline top 100 recruit with questions about work ethic (posted earlier, I don't remember where).

Diamonds in the rough like Felix are great... in moderation. We've got some great role player-types coming in in Felix, Hairston, Thornton, and Gbinije, and now I would really like to focus on snagging a couple big-time recruits in 2011.

Gbinije is NOT a role player. Kid is a stud.

BlueintheFace
03-29-2010, 09:02 PM
For my Money O'Bryant is not coming.

I think we will see Adams on campus.

JohnGalt
03-29-2010, 09:05 PM

Hairston and Gbinije are consenus top 30 while considered by a few to be top 20 recruits...What's your definition of a role player?

...or a diamond in the rough?

Bo_Spice
03-29-2010, 09:05 PM
Dream 2011 Recruiting Class
- Austin Rivers 6'4 190 SG, Winter Park H.S. (#2 Overall)
- Johnny O'Bryant 6'9 230 C, East Side H.S. (#6 Overall)
- Michael Gbinije 6'6 195 SG, Benedictine H.S (#24 Overall)
- Tyler Adams 6'9 260 C, Brandon H.S. (#12 C)

Welcome2DaSlopes
03-29-2010, 09:07 PM
Dream 2011 Recruiting Class
- Austin Rivers 6'4 190 SG, Winter Park H.S. (#2 Overall)
- Johnny O'Bryant 6'9 230 C, East Side H.S. (#6 Overall)
- Michael Gbinije 6'6 195 SG, Benedictine H.S (#24 Overall)
- Tyler Adams 6'9 260 C, Brandon H.S. (#12 C)

Quincy Miller?

and are we no longer recruiting Marshall?

JohnGalt
03-29-2010, 09:09 PM
Quincy Miller?

there are rumors of such...I'm not sure how founded in truth they are

Welcome2DaSlopes
03-29-2010, 09:12 PM
Well in all honesty, I would rather have Quincy Miller than anyone else in the 2011 class, except for maybe Mike Gilchrist, but duke isn't going after him.

BlueintheFace
03-29-2010, 09:16 PM
Given everything I have read over the last few months, Marshall Plumlee is headed to UVA or Wiscy.

QM is still in the mix, but you have to consider the competition

Greg_Newton
03-29-2010, 09:20 PM
I see Hairston and Gbinije as very solid 3-4 year players... Wayne Ellington/Danny Green types. If they become stars, they will do so as upperclassmen, IMO. They are both well built and very skilled, but not above average athletically for their position. I see them as players you need to have on a championship team, but not the All-Americans on the team that coaches formulate game plans to stop.

Guys like Kyrie Irving, Austin Rivers, Quincy Miller, and from what little I've seen, Johnny O'Bryant, are what I consider gamechanging talents. It would be great to grab one or two of these type talents in 2011 to complement the solid guys we'll already have. (btw, I've heard the same re: O'Bryant... disappointing to hear.)

Hopefully that's a little more clear.

JohnGalt
03-29-2010, 09:20 PM
Well in all honesty, I would rather have Quincy Miller than anyone else in the 2011 class, except for maybe Mike Gilchrist, but duke isn't going after him.

We really should bring in a big 4 or 5 though. Miles will be a senior and Mason will be a junior. Personally, I think Mason will be around 4 years, but there is a large contingent on here that thinks he'll have a blow up year and go pro after one of his next two seasons. Regardless, if we don't line up a big man from the 2011 class that means we will have to rely on a young frontcourt for the 2012 season.

In 2012, we'll have Kelly who may or not have developed his strength enough to guard the post and Mason, assuming he's around as our experienced frontline. It would be nice to add some athletic freshman to the mix in order to get experience and if nothing else, add some depth. This is why it might be important for us to pick up Adams and MP3.

QM is supposed to be sensational, but the 1 and the 4/5 generally win national titles, not the 2/3 (unless your name is Carmelo)

JohnGalt
03-29-2010, 09:22 PM
Pardon me, I forgot Hairston. Mason, Hairston, and Kelly will be in the paint...

Greg_Newton
03-29-2010, 09:58 PM
Pardon me, I forgot Hairston. Mason, Hairston, and Kelly will be in the paint...

When the class of 2011 matriculates for the 2011-2012, Miles will still be a senior. So, we'll likely have senior Miles at C and junior Kelly/soph Hairston at the 4, and if we're lucky, a junior Mason that can play either. I think it's important to get a solid post player or two in the 2011 class, but not necessarily because we need them in 2011-2012 season.

Also Q is a long 6-10 and likely a college 4.

Welcome2DaSlopes
03-29-2010, 10:00 PM
We really should bring in a big 4 or 5 though. Miles will be a senior and Mason will be a junior. Personally, I think Mason will be around 4 years, but there is a large contingent on here that thinks he'll have a blow up year and go pro after one of his next two seasons. Regardless, if we don't line up a big man from the 2011 class that means we will have to rely on a young frontcourt for the 2012 season.

In 2012, we'll have Kelly who may or not have developed his strength enough to guard the post and Mason, assuming he's around as our experienced frontline. It would be nice to add some athletic freshman to the mix in order to get experience and if nothing else, add some depth. This is why it might be important for us to pick up Adams and MP3.

QM is supposed to be sensational, but the 1 and the 4/5 generally win national titles, not the 2/3 (unless your name is Carmelo)

Quincy is a very athletic 3/4.

Huh?
03-29-2010, 10:22 PM
Quincy Miller?

Q Miller will be in a Kentucky uniform.

Plumlee 3 seems like he is looking elsewhere. I'm hearing IU, UVA, Michigan, and yes, UNC.

Could Adams and O'Bryant be a package deal?

Welcome2DaSlopes
03-29-2010, 10:38 PM

Not really, this is just pure speculation

Big Pappa
04-22-2010, 12:39 AM

I'm not sure what basis you have for this statement.

In regard to Johnny O'Bryant: I don't mean to question a kid's character when I don't know him personally but O'Bryan's Bio on twitter says, "H.O.D fuuuuuggggg u if u ain't...." His posts also are very profanity laced for the most part. Many of them bring up his "H.O.D brothers". After following Duke for as long as I have he just doesn't come off as a guy Coach K would go after.

Clipsfan
04-22-2010, 01:09 AM
I'm not sure what basis you have for this statement.

In regard to Johnny O'Bryant: I don't mean to question a kid's character when I don't know him personally but O'Bryan's Bio on twitter says, "H.O.D fuuuuuggggg u if u ain't...." His posts also are very profanity laced for the most part. Many of them bring up his "H.O.D brothers". After following Duke for as long as I have he just doesn't come off as a guy Coach K would go after.

It used to be that I retired phrases when I heard older people use them - now I guess I'm one of those older people. I had to look up H.O.D.

Welcome2DaSlopes
04-22-2010, 01:18 AM
What does H.O.D mean?

Starter
04-22-2010, 03:13 AM
It's not like we haven't had good kids who have said questionable stuff on UStreams and such. I wouldn't judge him too much on this. Besides, it's not like every Duke player has unassailable character before and/or after they come. I do tend to think being at Duke helps smooth out the rough edges.

Saratoga2
04-22-2010, 07:41 AM
Next year we will lose Singler, Smith and possibly one or two of our highly regarded underclassmen. A transfer might also occur. The clear needs will be to replace a shooting guard (Rivers?), a wing forward (Gjibni) and possible a big in one of the Plumlee's go (another Plumlee or?). If we got Miller would he be considered that big?)

wilko
04-22-2010, 08:01 AM
Hand of Doom?
I have no idea either.

Channing
04-22-2010, 08:32 AM
What does H.O.D mean?

Hebrew Order of David? (http://hodinternational.tripod.com/)

BD80
04-22-2010, 08:35 AM
... In regard to Johnny O'Bryant: I don't mean to question a kid's character when I don't know him personally but O'Bryan's Bio on twitter says, "H.O.D fuuuuuggggg u if u ain't...." His posts also are very profanity laced for the most part. Many of them bring up his "H.O.D brothers". After following Duke for as long as I have he just doesn't come off as a guy Coach K would go after.

You probably shouldn't read Ty Thornton's Tweets. Granted much of the profanity comes from other Tweeters, but it can get bad, including variations of the "N" word.

H.O.D. would be "high on drugs?"

SupaDave
04-22-2010, 11:10 AM
You probably shouldn't read Ty Thornton's Tweets. Granted much of the profanity comes from other Tweeters, but it can get bad, including variations of the "N" word.

H.O.D. would be "high on drugs?"

THIS is why you should stay off kid's twitter pages. Just a simple query of his name tells you what it means.

HOOP OR DIE...

Watch what you say b/c it may reveal more about yourself than those you are trying to figure out...

Big Pappa
04-22-2010, 11:35 AM
THIS is why you should stay off kid's twitter pages. Just a simple query of his name tells you what it means.

HOOP OR DIE...

Watch what you say b/c it may reveal more about yourself than those you are trying to figure out...

I'm not sure why you are telling people to stay off kids twitter pages. The whole reason that people have twitter is to publicly express opinions to the world and interact with others. Kyle, Nolan, Seth, Dre, Ryan, Lance, Jon, Wojo and Collins all have them and use them to interact with fans. That is the whole point. When the reporters asked Kyle and Nolan about it in an ncaa tourney press conference (I believe before the Baylor game) they both said that it was a fun way to stay in touch with fans, Kyle even announced that he was staying on his twitter.

Telling people to stay off of a public website, when one of its main purposes is to help fans interact with public figures, doesn't make any sense.

soccerstud2210
04-22-2010, 11:38 AM
I'm not sure why you are telling people to stay off kids twitter pages. The whole reason that people have twitter is to publicly express opinions to the world and interact with others. Kyle, Nolan, Seth, Dre, Ryan, Lance, Jon, Wojo and Collins all have them and use them to interact with fans. That is the whole point. When the reporters asked Kyle and Nolan about it in an ncaa tourney press conference (I believe before the Baylor game) they both said that it was a fun way to stay in touch with fans, Kyle even announced that he was staying on his twitter.

Telling people to stay off of a public website, when one of its main purposes is to help fans interact with public figures, doesn't make any sense.

i agree with you. that is the purpose of twitter, linkedin, facebook, myspace. i think more of what he was saying was not to read to much into what they say, but who knows, now i'm just speculating on what he said on a public social site :)

SupaDave
04-22-2010, 11:38 AM

First - those social sites are for social interaction - not social stalking. It's great to hear some of those things from the horse's mouth but when you start assuming and speculating it becomes something totally different. This has been discussed in length on this site and I suggest you search for the thread.

SupaDave
04-22-2010, 11:39 AM
i agree with you. that is the purpose of twitter, linkedin, facebook, myspace. i think more of what he was saying was not to read to much into what they say, but who knows, now i'm just speculating on what he said on a public social site :)

My point exactly. :)

http://www.dukebasketballreport.com/forums/showthread.php?t=17219

Big Pappa
04-22-2010, 11:50 AM
My point exactly. :)

http://www.dukebasketballreport.com/forums/showthread.php?t=17219

Thanks for posting that thread but after reading it I don't feel that I crossed any of those lines. I simply reported what he has posted for anyone in the world to see and asked what people thought.

Did I cross a line or were you just saying that we shouldn't read much into what kids post publicly on websites like twitter?

MCFinARL
04-22-2010, 12:03 PM

HOOP OR DIE...

So true. I also think those of us who are older need to be careful about judging kids by the language they use. Whether we like it or not, standards are a lot different, and words we think are controversial don't carry the same charge for the young. My 23 year old daughter--very smart, well-rounded, nice, polite to her elders, a Duke grad with a good job (yes--I know how lucky I am) is an upstanding citizen--but the way she and her friends talked to each other in high school and college could curl a parent's hair.

SupaDave
04-22-2010, 12:03 PM
Did I cross a line or were you just saying that we shouldn't read much into what kids post publicly on websites like twitter?

You got it! I just thank God it wasn't around when I was in high school. Very few teenagers have the mental buffers that come with age and experience...

bluedevil2012
04-22-2010, 12:10 PM
Ok I agree with Super Dave that reading too much into kids' twitter pages isn't usually a good idea. But in fairness, Big Pappa did preface his statement with the fact that he doesn't know the kid personally, and that this wasn't an indictment of his character, just an observation. That being said, the kid's page does use a lot of language that doesn't seem to be used on the pages of current Duke players or other recruits. The only thing you can take from that is that there might be some maturity issues. But we certainly can't say anything about his character from that.

Anyway, its irrelevant to whether or not we should be going after this kid.

EDIT:

You got it! I just thank God it wasn't around when I was in high school. Very few teenagers have the mental buffers that come with age and experience...

Exactly

Big Pappa
04-22-2010, 12:13 PM

Me too my friend. If he can help our team win without causing off the court distractions then I am all for it. The great thing is that I know Coach K monitors all of these things (like I said Wojo and Collins have twitter accounts) and I know that he would never take a chance on bringing a kid in that would tarnish the Duke name.

I know it seems like we always come back to this but I am very thankful for Coach K and having him in charge to make all of these decisions, whether it's recruitment, strategy, scheduling, discipline, or any other of a number of things.

Leck
04-22-2010, 12:37 PM
getting away from the tweets, facebook status', and forumspring answers. i read in another thread that o'bryant may not have as much interest in duke as we might think (although his buddy tyler adams does). i've also read they might be a "package deal".

yall's thoughts?

chrisheery
04-22-2010, 01:29 PM
I am not an insider, but I do know that "package deals" are not something that ever really happens. Adams has said about 10 times in interviews that he loves Duke and Coach K. O'Bryant and Adams play on the same AAU team and have said things about "talking about" playing together in college.

We all thought KI and HB would be a package. That didn't happen. The only two guys I see really wanting to stick together in that class is Q Miller and Deuce Bello. Again, I only get that from tweets and whatnot from QM, but it almost seems like he is trying to use his high-major status to get Deuce Bellow a high major scholly. Knowing Calipari, he'll do it if he has to and he'll have room because all of his players only play 1 season at a time.

SupaDave
04-22-2010, 02:46 PM
I am not an insider, but I do know that "package deals" are not something that ever really happens. Adams has said about 10 times in interviews that he loves Duke and Coach K. O'Bryant and Adams play on the same AAU team and have said things about "talking about" playing together in college.

We all thought KI and HB would be a package. That didn't happen. The only two guys I see really wanting to stick together in that class is Q Miller and Deuce Bello. Again, I only get that from tweets and whatnot from QM, but it almost seems like he is trying to use his high-major status to get Deuce Bellow a high major scholly. Knowing Calipari, he'll do it if he has to and he'll have room because all of his players only play 1 season at a time.

Duece Bello needs very little help getting a high major scholly...

soccerstud2210
04-22-2010, 03:01 PM

isn't DB a top 25-35 prospect???

chrisheery
04-22-2010, 03:03 PM
I don't know. I have heard that he is an amazing athlete with questionable skills. Not a good shooter, handle is a bit loose, and not a great passer. He is undersized to play 2 guard and not skilled enough to play point.

Just my general sense, never seen the kid play. I would be a bit surprised if he is a top 25 or 30 player, though, from what people tell me who have seen him play.

chrisheery
04-22-2010, 03:11 PM
Just checked. Deuce Bello's rankings are as follows:

Rivals #102 overall
Scout #17 SF, counldn't find the overall rank (he's only 6'3", sorta what I was talking about)
ESPN #94 overal, also listed him as SF

I just don't see a high major school needing a 6'3" guy who has skills of a SF. He might keep getting better and become a very good guard. He has all the tools, but right now, he isn't at that level. Westchester isn't a basketball academy. It is a private school in a golf course community. If he tranferred to a school that has a reputation for turning out and improving players, he might improve his chances of being ranked higher or being a better player.

SupaDave
04-22-2010, 04:59 PM
Just checked. Deuce Bello's rankings are as follows:

Rivals #102 overall
Scout #17 SF, counldn't find the overall rank (he's only 6'3", sorta what I was talking about)
ESPN #94 overal, also listed him as SF

I just don't see a high major school needing a 6'3" guy who has skills of a SF. He might keep getting better and become a very good guard. He has all the tools, but right now, he isn't at that level. Westchester isn't a basketball academy. It is a private school in a golf course community. If he tranferred to a school that has a reputation for turning out and improving players, he might improve his chances of being ranked higher or being a better player.

Bello is starting to become one of the nation’s most coveted 2011 recruits, listing interest in Baylor, Clemson, Duke, High Point University, Maryland, Memphis, NC State, Oklahoma State, Oregon, Wake Forest, UNC, UNC-Charlotte, and USC, according to various recruiting services.

http://www.zimbio.com/Deuce+Bello/articles/a9feArGxr5Y/Deuce+Bello+High+School+Forward+Makes+ESPN

http://www.goodsportsworld.com/good/archives/740

And he's also down with D-One Sports. Guess who owns that and who else has been down with that program...

Lastly, since when are high major programs NOT interested in 4-star recruits?
http://bluedevilnation.net/2009/04/2011-prospect-deuce-bello-already-holds-three-offers-and-says-he-getting-some-interest-from-duke/

chrisheery
04-22-2010, 05:08 PM
My bad. Didn't mean high major. Meant elite programs. Define them how you see fit. Buy I'm think consistently top 10 type teams. There aren't a lot of them so 4 star guys are usually reserves or "upside" guys for programs like that.

Greg_Newton
04-22-2010, 05:15 PM
He's a borderline top-100 recruit with three offers, so "one of the nations most coveted 2011 recruits" is a little much. However, he might be the longest 6'3" I've ever seen - think Demarcus Nelson (except actually 6'3") with better hops but less strength and polish. He's got huge upside, but I think it's yet to be seen whether he can consistently hold his own at an elite level of play.

So, I think the compromise is that he'll definitely end up at a high-major somewhere, but it's not necessarily a given that he'll end up at a blueblood like Duke/UNC/KU/UK unless he really proves himself this year or is perceived as a package deal with Q.

verga
04-22-2010, 11:39 PM
i think you may find that O'Bryant has no interest in Duke.

chrisheery
04-22-2010, 11:51 PM
Who cares? There are plenty of other fish and I don't think anyone has spent a lot of thought or effort on this kid.

Plus, he is one of the few players I have ever seen whose mixed tape I was completely unimpressed with. If you can't even look cool on your own mix tape, you might not be that great.

gotham devil
04-23-2010, 12:00 AM
Who cares? There are plenty of other fish and I don't think anyone has spent a lot of thought or effort on this kid.

Plus, he is one of the few players I have ever seen whose mixed tape I was completely unimpressed with. If you can't even look cool on your own mix tape, you might not be that great.
Please. He's an elite player.
Those mixed tapes are visual pablum for morons.

chrisheery
04-23-2010, 12:05 AM
He's an elite player based on rankings or your own assessment of his game?

And your point should only add to mine. If you can't create a mixed (or recruiting tape) where you look good, it is evidence that you don't have exceptional skills. He looks like he walks on every play. He plays hard, rebounds well, but he is bigger and stronger than almost everyone he plays against. I'm looking forward to seeing him play in college. Might be a Casey Saunders situation.

gotham devil
04-23-2010, 12:19 AM
He's an elite player based on rankings or your own assessment of his game?

And your point should only add to mine. If you can't create a mixed (or recruiting tape) where you look good, it is evidence that you don't have exceptional skills. He looks like he walks on every play. He plays hard, rebounds well, but he is bigger and stronger than almost everyone he plays against. I'm looking forward to seeing him play in college. Might be a Casey Saunders situation.
My assessment. Although he now tries to shoot the perimeter shot too much, he's a vastly superior player to Sanders. I have no idea who shot or edited the videos that you are reliant upon nor why they chose to show video of him walking. If you make it to any event, you'll see that he gives as much effort on the court as virtually any big in his class--whether you will feel the same about his fellow Jackson Tiger, Adams, is another thing.

chrisheery
04-23-2010, 12:23 AM
Alright, I'll take your word for it. These are the ESPN recruiting videos and a few I have seen on youtube. They aren't obvious traveling violations, but little foot shuffles that I think would be called in college and are not in AAU. But, like I said, if you have seen him play, I have no dog in this fight.

Its kind of a bummer that you think Adams doesn't play hard, though. That stings, actually.

GODUKEGO
10-15-2010, 08:30 AM
I just did not see him fitting in here. When you watch the video and listen to the schools that he was considering, you know what emphasis that he places on academics. Plus I know the acoustics were not the best but I could not understand most of what he said.

http://msn.foxsports.com/video/college-basketball?vid=2de28d83-b1f8-46c1-9d3a-2424e76fd039&from=foxsports/college-basketball/stories