PDA

View Full Version : Media: Hating in Upstate SC

Cobbeth
03-25-2010, 10:08 AM
I find it funny that being in a market that is inundated with nothing but Clemson and SC talk, this area is also filled with Duke haters. The haterade flow deep here my fellow Dukies. Almost all the talking heads here are predicting a win against Purdue and then a loss to Baylor. Personally, though Baylor is long and athletic and Duke has had a problem with that, I believe Duke is a lock for the Final Four. We do have this one guy, who has his own show from 3-5 everyday on our local sports talk station, who spends at least 10 minutes, practically everyday, going on the diatribes about, "Rat-Face" and all the 'Pasty White Boys" are no good and will never be the Duke of old. Did I mention he is a UCONN fan? Yeah, I blasted him about UCONN sitting at home while Rat Face and the boys are dancing.
So give me some good ammunition for these idiots.

GO DUKE!!!!!!

JohnGalt
03-25-2010, 10:11 AM
I find it funny that being in a market that is inundated with nothing but Clemson and SC talk, this area is also filled with Duke haters. The haterade flow deep here my fellow Dukies. Almost all the talking heads here are predicting a win against Purdue and then a loss to Baylor. Personally, though Baylor is long and athletic and Duke has had a problem with that, I believe Duke is a lock for the Final Four. We do have this one guy, who has his own show from 3-5 everyday on our local sports talk station, who spends at least 10 minutes, practically everyday, going on the diatribes about, "Rat-Face" and all the 'Pasty White Boys" are no good and will never be the Duke of old. Did I mention he is a UCONN fan? Yeah, I blasted him about UCONN sitting at home while Rat Face and the boys are dancing.
So give me some good ammunition for these idiots.

GO DUKE!!!!!!

He obviously doesn't know what he's talking about. "Rat Face" and two "Pasty White Boys" by the names of Laettner and Hurley faired decently in the early 90s...what with the 7 final fours and 2 national championships between them and all...

roywhite
03-25-2010, 10:18 AM
You could discuss just how local team Clemson did against the Blue Devils this year.

Really, though, for your talk show guys and Duke haters everywhere, the answer will have to come on the SCOREBOARD

Let's see what they have to say Monday morning.

DevilWolf
03-25-2010, 01:18 PM
You should ditch the local shows and listen to regional shows like Primetime with the Packman. Oh, wait ... nevermind

moonpie23
03-25-2010, 01:24 PM
first, you've already tainted the "interest" angle on your post by putting "UPSTATE SC" in the title..

second, well......tell the guy that Uconn couldn't even get it done in the JV tourny, much less the real one.....so he should shut his piehole...

third: i THINK those pasty white boys from cornell, st.marys and UNI can play pretty well.......

NM Duke Fan
03-25-2010, 01:31 PM
The tragic thing is that with the new taxes on tanning saloons incorporated into the health bill, the pastiness could even expand further across the country!

jdj4duke
03-25-2010, 01:35 PM
ANYWHERE in South Carolina is suspect in its provision of nutritious content about basketball. Clemson and Purnell would lose almost no visibility if they played on Mars.

The local sports shows talk about college football all year, and then baseball at least as much as basketball. The comments might be annoying, but the utter paucity of original commentary or analysis by the local stations makes it pretty clear that these fine fellows glom onto whatever they think is cute and in fact know zero-nada-nothing about college basketball, much less a specific team.

Nothing here to see folks, so might as well move along.

Kedsy
03-25-2010, 01:38 PM
Personally, though Baylor is long and athletic and Duke has had a problem with that, I believe Duke is a lock for the Final Four.

Well, first of all, I think we've done fine this year against long and athletic teams (like UConn, Wake Forest, Clemson, etc.). But I feel obligated to caution you that NOTHING is a lock in this tournament.

The tragic thing is that with the new taxes on tanning saloons incorporated into the health bill, the pastiness could even expand further across the country!

Is that a place where you sit under a sun lamp while quaffing a cold beer?

NM Duke Fan
03-25-2010, 02:10 PM
Living at 7,000 ft. with a lot intense sun and blue skys in NM, I haven't visited any tanning saloons, but with the weather across the country this winter, I imagine drinking a cold Guiness under a sun lamp would've done some people's spirits quite a bit of good!

aro24
03-25-2010, 03:21 PM
You should ditch the local shows and listen to regional shows like Primetime with the Packman. Oh, wait ... nevermind

Until he said that the guy was a UConn fan, I thought he was talking about the Pacman..........and heaven forbid ever listen when John Kilgow is on the show......Thank goodness I don't have the patience to sit on hold or I am afraid of what I would say in calling those idiots! I actually heard them discussing run to this years "Final Four" and Packer was actually defending the fans that were making this claim for the heels.

ARo24

Exiled_Devil
03-25-2010, 04:16 PM
Until he said that the guy was a UConn fan, I thought he was talking about the Pacman..........and heaven forbid ever listen when John Kilgow is on the show......Thank goodness I don't have the patience to sit on hold or I am afraid of what I would say in calling those idiots! I actually heard them discussing run to this years "Final Four" and Packer was actually defending the fans that were making this claim for the heels.

ARo24

I don't think Pacman is that bad. Kilgow is an idiot, and a intermittent tarheel homer. Gman is on occasionally, and he is at least balanced.

Pacman is actually pretty even in his estimations and as far as rooting for/against, it seems that he roots for the Charlotte teams (to no break his heart) and against Cowboy fans.

mgtr
03-25-2010, 04:36 PM
We have a house in upstate SC. I have learned that in the area there are three subjects not to discuss: Religion, politics, and sports. Basically, the locals think that beyond "Clempson" and "Kurlina" (that would be South Kurlina) there are precious few sports teams worth mentioning. Seasonal exceptions include the Braves and the Panthers.

ReformedAggie
03-25-2010, 05:14 PM
two words: spray tan