PDA

View Full Version : Jason Williams -- charity endeavors in NYC

Starter
03-23-2010, 04:59 PM
To take a quick break from breaking down Purdue, all-time Duke great and current ESPN announcer Jason Williams is doing some wonderful things up in New York with his Rising Stars Foundation, which mentors at-risk kids. On Saturday, he was a guest bartender at Foley's for charity, and on April 27, he's having a benefit dinner with a bunch of New York Giants and ESPN folks coming -- a must-attend for Duke alums in the City. I did a writeup of Saturday's event (and some of his memories of March Madness back in 2001) if you want to check it out. For anyone who knew him at Duke, he was a class act then, and he's turned into an excellent standardbearer for the university while doing some great things for the youth of New York City.

http://www.sportsangle.com/2010/03/forever-a-champion-jay-williams-rising-stars-becoming-his-true-legacy/

BD80
03-23-2010, 05:41 PM
Whew! I was afraid this thread was announcing that Jason had taken the St. John's coaching job!

Starter
03-23-2010, 05:46 PM
LOL! They should be so lucky!

J_C_Steel
03-23-2010, 05:49 PM
Great player and quality human being.

Best Duke player I ever witnessed while I was at Duke ('96-'00), though not as complete as Mr. Battier. I was incredibly saddened by his accident (and his terrible decision to ride a motorcycle).