PDA

View Full Version : I am worried about Purdue because...

hurleyfor3
03-23-2010, 12:06 PM
...fill in the blank.

npdevil27
03-23-2010, 12:08 PM
...fill in the blank.
... we've lost in the Sweet 16 in 6 out of the last 10 years.

airowe
03-23-2010, 12:09 PM
Even Sex Panther only works 80 % of 60% of the time.

91devil
03-23-2010, 12:11 PM
....because Purdue is the next opponent on our schedule.

And S*x Panther: 60% of the time it works every time.

SoCalDukeFan
03-23-2010, 12:11 PM
Thry must be pretty good.
They played in a tough conference.

SoCal

flyingdutchdevil
03-23-2010, 12:13 PM
It's the tournament and anything can happen.

And it's the tournament. When are you not supposed to be worried?

KyDevilinIL
03-23-2010, 12:13 PM
...Purdue is our opponent in the Sweet 16, the round we have advanced beyond just twice since 1999.
...Purdue is seeded fourth, and we haven't beaten any team seeded better than fifth since 2001.
...Purdue can defend us well, has the muscle to push us around in certain spots and has absolutely nothing to lose.
...Purdue is the team many of us "preferred" to see in this round, setting up a perfect "be careful what you wish for" situation.

flyingdutchdevil
03-23-2010, 12:14 PM
...Purdue is our opponent in the Sweet 16, the round we have advanced beyond just a single time since 1999.

Twice. 01 and 04. But I understand your point

KyDevilinIL
03-23-2010, 12:16 PM
Twice. 01 and 04. But I understand your point

Yeah, I noticed that and fixed it, but you caught it too fast. :)

Cameron
03-23-2010, 12:19 PM
Kansas
Michigan State
LSU
VCU
West Virginia
Villanova

This game has given me nightmares all week. Honest to God, I woke up on Monday morning with an undeniable sickness in my stomach, believing that we had lost to Purdue after St. Mary's had taken out Baylor and cast a blue light over the Indy skyline. It took me two or three minutes to realize I didn't need to cut myself.

That last part is obviously exaggeration, but I have dreamt of a loss twice since beating Cal. Once we get this round of 16 off of our backs (and it is on our backs), I will know what it feels like to be released from prison.

hurleyfor3
03-23-2010, 12:21 PM
...we're quickly approaching Bobby Cox/Chicago Cubs territory with these Sweet 16 faceplants.

sagegrouse
03-23-2010, 12:22 PM
Purdue will play like an underdog with absolutely nothing to lose: too small, too slow, too thin, and too injured. And the Boilermakers will be too loose to be a comfortable opponent. This team is really dangerous.

I mean it. Cal thought it was as good as Duke. When it discovered it wasn't, it was devastating. Also, it was helpful of Jon to sideline one of the Bears' two best players in the first minute.

Purdue knows it has huge weaknesses. It will come out smoking. Duke needs to take the punch and fight back really hard if it gets behind.

sagegrouse

KyDevilinIL
03-23-2010, 12:28 PM
...we're quickly approaching Bobby Cox/Chicago Cubs territory with these Sweet 16 faceplants.

Yep. We can take a tiny bit of solace in the fact that we get to the Sweet 16 more regularly than everyone else, but not much. This needs to stop now. Frankly, it's already our identity in a lot of ways.

Purdue is a formidable opponent, absolutely. But I am far more concerned about our guys' mental approach to this game, especially if we do fall into an early hole.

There really isn't anything particularly special or mystifying about the round of 16 game, but each regional semifinal loss makes it seem more and more like there is.

DevilHorns
03-23-2010, 12:29 PM
Heck I was worried about Arkansas-PB!

Its foolish to go into any game not worried in a 1-and-done tourney!

But specific to Purdue:
1) they are pissed about the spanking Duke gave them last year
2) they are pissed since they now receive diddly squat respect from analysts and opposing fans in terms of their potential post-Hummell
3) they have senior leadership
4) they are well-coached
5) they are coming off a tough gritty win that could only mean more confidence
6) they play great D --- If we cannot feed the ball inside, and have to rely more on the outside shot, that could be devastating if the big 3 have an off-night from the field
7) they do not rely on the 3 (we have one of the best, if not the best, 3-point defenses in the league)
8) E-twaun Moore - 6'4'' guard with driving ability thats a tougher matchup than 5'8'' Randle (we have difficulty against tall guards on occasion, ie, Vasquez).
9) JaJuan Johnson - potential dominant big man that cannot only score, but suck up rebounds.

JDev
03-23-2010, 12:39 PM
Two main reasons for me:
1.) Even without Hummel, they do have some top-flight talent left in Johnson and Moore. Both guys might eventually find themselves in the NBA.

2.) The one most have mentioned: Duke's woes in the Sweet Sixteen. For whatever reason this round has been a real obstacle for Duke this decade.

ncexnyc
03-23-2010, 12:45 PM
They definitely remember last year's beatdown. They had a clip of a Perdue player in on of those montages after Sunday's game and the kid was quick to point out they were looking for some payback.

Duvall
03-23-2010, 12:54 PM
Heck I was worried about Arkansas-PB!

Its foolish to go into any game not worried in a 1-and-done tourney!

But specific to Purdue:
1) they are pissed about the spanking Duke gave them last year
2) they are pissed since they now receive diddly squat respect from analysts and opposing fans in terms of their potential post-Hummell
3) they have senior leadership
4) they are well-coached
5) they are coming off a tough gritty win that could only mean more confidence
6) they play great D --- If we cannot feed the ball inside, and have to rely more on the outside shot, that could be devastating if the big 3 have an off-night from the field
7) they do not rely on the 3 (we have one of the best, if not the best, 3-point defenses in the league)
8) E-twaun Moore - 6'4'' guard with driving ability thats a tougher matchup than 5'8'' Randle (we have difficulty against tall guards on occasion, ie, Vasquez).
9) JaJuan Johnson - potential dominant big man that cannot only score, but suck up rebounds.

These are all very good reasons to worry about Purdue, along with the fact that, well, it's March.

I'm less concerned about the past Sweet 16 losses because it's so hard to find a common thread between those losses other than timing. What does losing to an talent-stuffed Florida team in 2000 or a superior Kansas team in 2003 have to with Friday's matchup?

YourLandlord
03-23-2010, 12:56 PM
Not worried about

http://www.perdue.com/files/122_7.jpg

tecumseh
03-23-2010, 01:04 PM
I was really pretty sure that Georgetown would beat Nova

rthomas
03-23-2010, 01:06 PM
...fill in the blank.

They are our next opponent.

wilko
03-23-2010, 01:10 PM
They are our next opponent.

This is the best answer so far...
Or rather... its what I would have written had you not beat me to it. :-)

cbnaylor
03-23-2010, 01:19 PM
Because someone just posted that Nolan Smith tweeted that he was sick!

rsvman
03-23-2010, 01:31 PM
Because someone just posted that Nolan Smith tweeted that he was sick!

Exactly what does this mean? And what does he mean by the word "sick"?

We need Nolan and the entire team to be healthy from here on in. Period.

I wasn't worried about Purdue at all but now I kind of am. We need details!

dukeimac
03-23-2010, 01:40 PM
Well, I see some of the things stated as reasons to worry about them as reasons they will have to worry about themselves.

1. Payback. If they are still carrying around the beat down they got last year that will hurt their focus. Most of the time it does.

2. Nothing to loose. Wrong! First, they are co-Big Ten champs and the other 2 are still in, they have a lot to prove. Plus, they need to win a big game without Hummel and this would be a big game. Texas A&M was a good team but not considered a "Big" time team, thus this is their big game. They didn't do well in the Big Ten tourney. Just about everyone had them here without Hummel.

3. No one has them getting past Duke, especially without Hummel and they will want, need to prove everyone wrong.

Those are big reasons for them to have pressure on their shoulders. If they don't beat Duke it is because they can't beat a big time team without Hummel.

Fish80
03-23-2010, 01:40 PM
They aren't the Golden Boilermakers? Wait, their color is old gold. Maybe we could call them the golden Boilermakers.

We did okay so far against golden teams.

Worried? What, me worry?
Respectful? Absolutely a formidable opponent.
Determined? More than they are!

cbnaylor
03-23-2010, 01:46 PM
Exactly what does this mean? And what does he mean by the word "sick"?

We need Nolan and the entire team to be healthy from here on in. Period.

I wasn't worried about Purdue at all but now I kind of am. We need details!

Ok, this came from Nolan today.....

@misz_dejja yea just a little cold! I'll be fine soon!

That's good to hear..........

Source: http://twitter.com/ndotsmitty

Classof06
03-23-2010, 01:58 PM
...fill in the blank.

...you never know how a wounded and desperate team will respond and the Boilermakers have already beaten two teams in Siena and Texas A&M that many (including myself) expected to beat them...

rsvman
03-23-2010, 01:59 PM
Thank God.

then again, even just a "little cold" can sometimes do a number on your stamina. Let's hope he's careful not to spread to all the other guys on the team; that's the other problem with these kinds of illnesses.

camion
03-23-2010, 02:05 PM
One-on-one comparisons don't tell the whole story. They play good team defense and good team basketball; they can beat any team that doesn't bring its A game.

cbnaylor
03-23-2010, 02:06 PM
Thank God.

then again, even just a "little cold" can sometimes do a number on your stamina. Let's hope he's careful not to spread to all the other guys on the team; that's the other problem with these kinds of illnesses.

True. That's why a 24 hour bug would almost be better to have instead of a cold. Assuming that he doesn't spread it around to the rest of the team......this is kind of reminding me of the West Virginia game a couple years ago with the flu.

Dukerati
03-23-2010, 02:24 PM
Because Purdue plays strong defense and we struggle to score (at times). In a low possession, low scoring affair, the margin for error becomes smaller and possessions become magnified.

Oh, and our best player (arguably) is in a bit of a funk.

cptnflash
03-23-2010, 02:38 PM
...because we are such a justifiably prohibitive favorite in this game that it would be an absolute catastrophe if we lost.

NashvilleDevil
03-23-2010, 02:42 PM
...fill in the blank.

because Duke fans always worry.

78Devil
03-23-2010, 02:46 PM
Because with each round, we have to start shooting better and can't just rely on our defense.

Richard Berg
03-23-2010, 02:52 PM
...because if they win, the career of 4 great Dukies will end on a sad note.

ReformedAggie
03-23-2010, 02:57 PM
Because every silver lining has a cloud.

hq2
03-23-2010, 03:54 PM
I'm not. Without Robbie Hummell (and note we beat them over last year, with him quite handily) they just don't have enough firepower or inside defense. They'll play hard, but we'd have to have a total offensive collapse to lose. (I.e. say 6 for 30 something from 3 point land, like say, the '06 team against LSU!)

RoyalBlue08
03-23-2010, 03:55 PM
...because we are such a justifiably prohibitive favorite in this game that it would be an absolute catastrophe if we lost.

This pretty much sums up my unease going into Friday. It is almost easier to handle as a fan if Duke didn't match up so favorably against Purdue. We should win. We have superior talent and they don't present any real matchup or style issues. But it's win or go home. I think we win this one 90% of the time, but I will be crushed if Friday is somehow in that 10%.

CDu
03-23-2010, 04:13 PM
I'm not worried specifically about Purdue as a team. I am worried about the game against Purdue in general.

In a matchup of strengths and weaknesses at the status quo, we win. On paper, we have a huge size and rebounding advantage. We shoot free throws better, we shoot 3s better, we score much more efficiently. We defend slightly more efficiently. Purdue hasn't beaten a team near our skill level since Hummel went down, and they're only 1-2 against teams that would have been at-large teams since the injury. They certainly have talented players, but we are a deeper, more talented team than Purdue without Hummel.

But in any single game, just about anything can happen. We could have a terrible shooting night. Purdue could come out with an uncharacteristically great shooting performance. They could apply pressure defense and force some uncharacteristic turnovers. We could suffer injuries or foul trouble at key spots.

If we played this game 10 times on a neutral, I think we win 8-9 of those times. But it's a single-elimination tournament, and the better team doesn't always win in that format. And that's why I'm worried about the game on Friday. I think things would have to go wrong for us not to win. But things could certainly go wrong.

Basically, aside from the 1/16 game, I'll be worried about EVERY Game in the tournament - either because we might not be the better team, or because (in spite of being the better team) we might not have the game needed on that night to win.

Cameron
03-23-2010, 05:13 PM
...you never know how a wounded and desperate team will respond and the Boilermakers have already beaten two teams in Siena and Texas A&M that many (including myself) expected to beat them...

A different set of circumstances, but let Loyola Marymount's 1990 run be a lesson to all of us.

Mal
03-23-2010, 06:28 PM
- Minnesota!! Clap, clap, clap clap clap...

- Kyle Singler has heard just about enough about our Sweet 16 "problem," thank you very much.

- We just held a team with twice the offense to 53 points.

Wait, what was the question, again?

Sorry to off-track this. I'm done fretting; I went through cautiously optimistic yesterday. Time to move into "Let's get this monkey off our freaking backs, boys!!!" Let's stop giving a good g-d about who it is we're playing and why we should/should not fear them. There are dragons to slay, demons to exorcise, curses to overturn, haters to incite and pundits to silence Friday. You want to get in the middle of that road, Purdue? Seriously? Last year was last year. We're p'd off and disrespected, too. Bring it, engineers. Nice mascot. Nice color scheme.

Anyway, I hope that's the attitude the team's taking.

hudlow
03-23-2010, 06:29 PM
...because they may never get over being trounced by Duke in their next game.

Y'all are a bunch of worry warts!

GO DUKE!!!

hud

dukelifer
03-23-2010, 06:31 PM
...because I worry about every game. Basketball is not always about who has better talent or who even plays the best on a given night- sometimes it comes down to the last minute and a missed or made shot or a funny bounce. Purdue is good enough without Hummel to keep the game within reach for a minute to go and that is reason to worry.

gumbomoop
03-23-2010, 06:42 PM
...... because Gov. Perdue may or may not turn out to be wise enough to help this state with all its economic woes.

Wait...... maybe I misunderstood the question.

Basketball is a game that we - me, too - treat as if it's life or death; whereas life is a whole lot tougher these days. God bless Gov. Perdue, and her political opponents, too. I hope someone is competent.

Purdue? Well, they could win and make me unhappy for a few days. Worse still, the friendly fire on this board might get pretty unpleasant.

Georgiadevil
03-23-2010, 07:12 PM
As Shane Battier used to say:we're DUKE!!No worries.

78Devil
03-23-2010, 08:09 PM
Actually, this thread is funny. We DO all sound like a bunch of old hens and roosters, fretting over the chicks.

Verga3
03-23-2010, 08:22 PM
Purdue is done. We finally exorcise/lance the March 1980 "boil" this weekend. Who else remembers that Sweet 16 game and Joe Barry Carroll's performance? I had forgotten that we took down Kentucky in the earlier round...in Rupp Arena. It's only been 30 years, but the karma is still fresh in this timeless program. http://goduke.statsgeek.com/basketball-m/games/boxscore.php?gameid=19800315

Kedsy
03-23-2010, 08:27 PM
Purdue is done. We finally exorcise/lance the March 1980 "boil" this weekend. Who else remembers that Sweet 16 game and Joe Barry Carroll's performance? I had forgotten that we took down Kentucky in the earlier round...in Rupp Arena. It's only been 30 years, but the karma is still fresh in this timeless program. http://goduke.statsgeek.com/basketball-m/games/boxscore.php?gameid=19800315

That 1980 game against Purdue was an Elite Eight game.

I was a sophomore and in Fort Lauderdale for spring break at the time. Believe it or not, the Kentucky game at Rupp was not on TV down there. We had to listen to it on a portable radio we carried up and down the strip. Still, it was a moment. The Purdue game (even though it was on TV), not so much. At least not a happy moment. We all thought G-man would show Joe Barry Carroll who was the best center in the land, but it was JBC who showed us.

Oddly, the following year (K's first at Duke), we met Purdue in another Elite Eight game -- in the NIT -- and lost again.

House G
03-23-2010, 09:35 PM
....because Purdue beat A&M who beat Oklahoma who beat Nicholls St. who beat McNeese St. who beat Tulane who beat Penn St. who beat Sacred Heart who beat Stony Brook who beat Md. Eastern Shore who beat Bethune Cookman who beat Norfolk St. who beat Maine who beat Boston College who beat South Carolina who beat Kentucky!

Welcome2DaSlopes
03-23-2010, 09:41 PM
....because Purdue beat A&M who beat Oklahoma who beat Nicholls St. who beat McNeese St. who beat Tulane who beat Penn St. who beat Sacred Heart who beat Stony Brook who beat Md. Eastern Shore who beat Bethune Cookman who beat Norfolk St. who beat Maine who beat Boston College who beat South Carolina who beat Kentucky!

Now i'm scared

SlimSlowSlider
03-23-2010, 09:51 PM
That 1980 game against Purdue was an Elite Eight game.

I was a sophomore and in Fort Lauderdale for spring break at the time. Believe it or not, the Kentucky game at Rupp was not on TV down there. We had to listen to it on a portable radio we carried up and down the strip. Still, it was a moment. The Purdue game (even though it was on TV), not so much. At least not a happy moment. We all thought G-man would show Joe Barry Carroll who was the best center in the land, but it was JBC who showed us.

Oddly, the following year (K's first at Duke), we met Purdue in another Elite Eight game -- in the NIT -- and lost again.

Grant Hill exorcised any demons in 1994, when he shut down National Player of the year Glenn Robinson as Duke marched on to another Final 4.

BobbyFan
03-23-2010, 09:56 PM
...because one week after we avenged a 1993 loss that ended a great Blue Devil's career, Purdue will be looking to the same for a loss they suffered in 1994.

cbfx3
03-23-2010, 10:05 PM
Im worried because that kid that has picked a perfect bracket has purdue winning it all...

http://content.usatoday.com/communities/campusrivalry/post/2010/03/the-perfect-bracket-autistic-teen-from-chicago-area-nails-the-first-two-rounds/1

MB in MD
03-23-2010, 10:22 PM
....because Pomeroy only has us 79%-21%, when he had Kansas 84-16 over UNI.....

davekay1971
03-23-2010, 10:29 PM
because I like this Duke team so much that I really really really want to see them win...which would make it suck that much worse if they lost.

because Charlotte is full of obnoxious Tarhole fans who have nothing better to do than wallow in misery and hope to exult if Duke loses

because of every Purdue-related reason mentioned in earlier posts.

because the national talking-head census has us winning...which should always be cause for concern.

DurhamMatt
03-23-2010, 11:24 PM
I'm not worried about Purdue, it's about time we all start to realize this is a different team and we are not cursed to lose in the sweet sixteen........knock on wood

Battery
03-23-2010, 11:31 PM
because the Plumlees' mom played hoops there and she's secretly hoping her sons team loses to her alma mater??!! Seriously, people. Stop the worrying. Let's enjoy the ride!

ElSid
03-24-2010, 01:38 AM
honestly not much reason to be worried.

we've been playing great. we match up well. we've had a great season. we've got a lot of really likable players who try hard and represent the program well. and that's all we can say at this point.

less worrying, and more just hoping fortune shines on us this time. we deserve it. by we i mostly mean these players deserve it. it's a much different feeling from the last several seasons when i really did have an ominous, worrisome feeling because the play and the players warranted it.

if purdue shoots 80% and wins, that's nothing we can influence now...or ever.

i'm enjoying the ride, as others say, but i'm impatient and want to see this play out.

Andre Buckner Fan
03-24-2010, 02:02 AM
Because it's Wednesday and there have been three days without basketball and plenty of time for prognostication and worry. :)

I'm not overly worried about Purdue. I'm cautiously optimistic. The board started out wildly over-confident. Now we're sinking into a funk. I think we should all stay cautiously optimistic. This was the better match-up and Coach K never overlooks any opponent.

We will have a great shot to win, and I like our chances. Nothing in the universe is ever 100% (except that Ol' Roy-Boy will put his foot in his mouth again... that's 100%).
:D

snowdenscold
03-24-2010, 04:03 AM
Because all the nay-sayers come out of the woodwork following an "early" tournament loss, and there will be about 5,000 threads which I won't read.

KyDevilinIL
03-24-2010, 08:30 AM
Because all the nay-sayers come out of the woodwork following an "early" tournament loss, and there will be about 5,000 threads which I won't read.

I can barely read the boards today. Not because of any particular content, but just because Friday's getting really close, and I'm getting nervous, and reading speculation about the game is sometimes overwhelming

davec
03-24-2010, 08:40 AM
I live in Indiana. :(

RelativeWays
03-24-2010, 08:40 AM
Because Purdue was supposed to be bounced 2 games ago and they are still in the tourney

Because they have nothing to lose

Because Matt Painter is using the beating we gave them last season as motivation

Because of the Ewing theory

Because if NC State can beat Duke, anyone can beat Duke on a given night

Because Jon's shot seems to have disappeared

Because people love upsets and hate Duke

Any number of reasons. Its key that Duke respects Purdue and treats them like a wounded cornered animal. What do you do with a dangerous wounded animal? You take it out quick. I have confidence that if Duke executes on the inside and can get Jajuan Johnson in foul trouble, if they are aggressive, they can win by 10+ They cannot be hesitant, they can't mess around or they'll be the next number one bounced. We've been focused so far, lets hope the best is yet to come.

CameronBornAndBred
03-24-2010, 09:15 AM
their mascot carries a sledgehammer.

Neals384
03-24-2010, 09:25 AM
Because this board has about 5,000 threads about how good Duke is going to be next year. If we lose to Purdue, I'm going to have to actually read them!

OldPhiKap
03-24-2010, 09:45 AM
Because they have a drink named after them.

Reddevil
03-24-2010, 09:54 AM
Because when Duke extends its defense and makes the opponent start their offense further away from the basket than they are comfortable with - it usually works, but now and then an unlikely player has the game of his life.

Duke12
03-24-2010, 09:59 AM
Only if Joe Barry Carroll has another year of eligibility....by the way Joe Barry was born in.....

Pine Bluff, Arkansas

Matches
03-24-2010, 11:03 AM
Because I worry about everyone this time of year. I worried about Arkansas PB too. No one can be overlooked in March.

KyDevilinIL
03-24-2010, 11:41 AM
...and not only have we failed to beat any team seeded No. 4 or better in the tournament in what seems like ages, we managed but a single victory against a team of that caliber this season: Maryland, at Cameron.

That's part of what leads some of us, myself included, to wonder if our strength of schedule ranking this year is a bit of a mirage. And that's the main reason I'm getting more and more worried about Friday night.

CameronBornAndBred
03-24-2010, 11:57 AM
...and not only have we failed to beat any team seeded No. 4 or better in the tournament in what seems like ages...
Just like K said in a recent interview...don't base what this team is doing and capable of on what past teams have done. They are not the same entities. That doesn't mean we will be successful Friday night, but don't use past teams successes and failures to assume this team will do the same.

GLTBD
03-24-2010, 12:12 PM
Because it is Wednesday getting closer to Friday and I don't want this game to be the last for Jon, Zoubs, LT (and Kyle?). Let's go Duke and get it done.

KyDevilinIL
03-24-2010, 12:15 PM
Just like K said in a recent interview...don't base what this team is doing and capable of on what past teams have done. They are not the same entities. That doesn't mean we will be successful Friday night, but don't use past teams successes and failures to assume this team will do the same.

Oh, I know. As fans, though, it's pretty hard to put those past results out of the brain, because the facts are there until they're not anymore.

And FWIW, a few folks on the board seem convinced that we'll beat Purdue largely because we laced Purdue last season. But in speculating about Friday, last year's game is just as valid/invalid as our Sweet 16 losses.

Fish80
03-24-2010, 01:10 PM
....by the way Joe Barry was born in.....Pine Bluff, Arkansas

That's a little weird.

left_hook_lacey
03-24-2010, 01:25 PM
their mascot carries a sledgehammer.

LOL. Best reason I've read so far. :D

dukeinal
03-24-2010, 01:31 PM
First time poster, long time fan/reader. Cause I have tickets for Sunday and my first Elite 8 and hopefully first live Duke game...

dukeimac
03-24-2010, 02:12 PM
This team matches up well with everyone left in this region; Coach K will have them ready, he has been there too many times before for these games to be an issue. That does not mean Duke crushes them but they beat them.

By the way, how are you all doing with the 2012 issue; got those holes dug or do you really think you will fly away in a plane?