PDA

View Full Version : Fort Myers; Restaurants, Golf Courses, etc.

dukeforester
03-22-2010, 05:12 PM
Going to Fort Myers, FL the week of April 18th. Wife and I have never been there. Any suggestions on restaurants, golf courses that will not break the bank (we both play), other things to do? We can only spend so much time at the beach. Planning on taking the Key West Express to Key West and spending one night there. Any suggested hotels, restaurants, things not to miss there? Any and all suggestions appreciated.

BlueDevilBaby
03-22-2010, 05:32 PM
My parents winter in Ft Myers and my father and stepmother live in Key West. Cant say much about FM without some parental input. As far as KW goes, it is fun just to walk around. One of my favorite stops is tne Peppers Store - lot of great sauces if you are into that sort of thing. Kermit's Key West Lime Shoppe is also excellent for candies, sauces, etc. If you are pressed for time, the Conch Train is a good way to see the tourist spots - goes right by my dad's house on Grinnell. Hemingway House is also a must.

My favorite eating spot is Louis' Backyard which backs up on the Atlantic. Michael's is a close second - now offers half portions. Turtle Kraals and Schooner Wharf are good lunch spots. I also like Finnegans for a little Irish fare.

Any B&B is probably fine - I only ever stayed in one, the Banyan, and enjoyed it. You might want to think about staying in old town but off the main drag as it can be quite loud late into the night.

Enjoy!

aimo
03-23-2010, 08:54 AM
Make sure the beaches you visit are Sanibel and Captiva. I think I've only eaten at a Denny's in Ft. Myers. Sorry.

OZZIE4DUKE
03-23-2010, 09:26 AM
I think I've only eaten at a Denny's in Ft. Myers. Sorry.
Ymm Breakfast!

HaveFunExpectToWin
03-23-2010, 10:08 AM
I'm actually down here now for an unplanned extended stay in Bonita Springs (long story). I know more about downtown Naples (5th Ave) than Fort Myers and can recommend that area for nightlife and good restaurants.

ohioguy2
03-23-2010, 05:28 PM
Drive over the bridge to Sanibel/Captiva. Eat at the Mucky Duck or Doc Fords--there are other places on the islands, but these are two we liked most.:)

BlueDevilBaby
03-23-2010, 06:03 PM
The Ding Darling wildlife sanctuary is pretty cool. I also liked the Edison and Ford estates.

ohioguy2
03-23-2010, 07:57 PM
The Ding Darling wildlife sanctuary is pretty cool. I also liked the Edison and Ford estates.

We rode bikes through Ding Darling a few weeks back. That and a Kayak trip through the Mangroves off of Tarpon Bay were two of the high lights of the trip.