PDA

View Full Version : Black Screen of Death

pamtar
03-22-2010, 10:32 AM
Last year my VAIO screen went black. I only use it for recording and wasn't doing much of that so its been packed up waiting to go to the geek squad for repairs. After a $200 quote I've decided to fix it myself - easier said than done. After hours online searching for answers Ive barely made any progress. Alas, I will turn to the Technowizards of the DBR for help. (Something I should have done a long time ago!)

Here are the specs:

Sony VAIO running XP.

Black screen with cursor after start-up

Can access advanced start-up options but only get a black screen with whichever start-up option I choose ("safe mode", etc) in the four corners of the screen.

Cannot open command prompt window. When I press the shift key five times all I get is a quick sound.

I've tried every combination of start-up procedures imaginable. I also have had media card problems in the past that may or may not be related?

Any help would be greatly appreciated. Thanks!

Kdogg
03-22-2010, 12:04 PM
After booting can you hit Ctrl-Alt-Delete and bring up the task manager. If you can try running "explorer.exe." If that works back up your important stuff before further tinkering.

pamtar
03-22-2010, 01:03 PM
Sorry, forgot to add that part. I can't bring up the task mgr at any point.

Highlander
03-22-2010, 02:28 PM
Can you hit F12 and get to the BIOS menu on boot up? If so, it could be a problem with the HD failing to load Windows. If you can get to the BIOS screen, that would indicate the monitor functions, and you have a corrupted install or maybe corrupted HD. Either way, you can then use the restore disks to rebuild your machine and/or maybe replace your hard drive if necessary.

If you can't get your files off the computer, here's an idea I've used. I downloaded "UBUNTU" which is a Unix based OS which can run off a CDR. I have booted to that, then copied material off to a large jump drive prior to starting the rebuild. It's a free OS and not bad.

Oh, and if you don't have the restore disks, you can contact Sony and they will send them to you if you have your asset tag.

Jarhead
03-22-2010, 04:47 PM
Your problem, pamtar, is so close to mine that I would like to join in, but I cannot offer any help. About a week ago, I powered up my computer for my standard morning run through of several daily chores. I was a little slower getting started, but the log-in screen finally came up. I entered my password, the desktop appeared, and I put my coffee cup down. Just then the screen blinked and went black.

It wasn't the dreaded blue screen that windows gives you, so what was it? Hardware, probably. I powered down, and tried to restart it a couple of times. Each time it gave me the start up blue screen, and then I thought that it would be a good idea to hit the function key for diagnostics. Tried it, twice. Same result. Memory failure. All other tests were okay.

So I opened the box, not as easy as the older PCs, found the memory cards. After removing one of them, I powered up, and it worked, but very slowly. Either the memory card was bad or the mother board was bad. A couple of swaps of the memory card convinced me that it was one of the memory card slots on the mother board.

I called HP, and eventually spoke to a technician in the states. He agreed that I needed a new mother board, at about $400 plus about $100 for installation, and shipping the box to them and back, unknown. Why would anybody do that? Around $600 to fix a 1½ year old computer? Now I am shopping for a laptop. I am leaning toward Toshiba. Any suggestions? I have all of my stuff backed up, so I won't lose anything, and it does run, but very slowly on the one memory card.

unexpected
03-22-2010, 05:50 PM
jarhead, you could try buying 1 stick of more ram. they make ram sticks in 2 GB sizes. If you're laptop is a 1 1/2 years old, it probably had less than that to begin with.

cspan37421
03-22-2010, 05:59 PM
Pamtar, if you can check your memory, do so. E.g., If you have 2 memory modules, take one out, try booting again, and then repeat with the other one.

Another thing: find a backup computer and google the exact error messages (if any) or significant symptoms (as well as the keyword Vaio!) and see if anyone else had the same problem, and what it was.

I had a crash that wouldn't even let me boot up. I did that google thing and found hints that it might be a bad memory module. I did the swap out/check all permutations thing, and that's all it was. For $50 I was back in business with triple the memory I had before.

Best wishes for a successful resolution!

Jarhead
03-22-2010, 11:02 PM
jarhead, you could try buying 1 stick of more ram. they make ram sticks in 2 GB sizes. If you're laptop is a 1 1/2 years old, it probably had less than that to begin with.

I tried that, and it didn't work. Best buy was pretty nice about it. They gave me full credit when I returned it. I checked with HP before I tried it, and they told me which one to get. No joy. Maybe HP will recall the blasted thing.

cf-62
03-28-2010, 02:47 AM
This sounds like a hard drive problem - not a complete failure, but a bad sector (or sectors) crucial to XP running.

I know you got a $200 quote from Geek Squad to fix your Vaio. Did you have them run the check to see if they could get the data off your hard drive?

They pull data off the hard drive for $100 - and if you have the usual coupon, ends up being $75.

That would also confirm that:
A) It's the hard drive
B) It's just where the OS is

C

pamtar
03-29-2010, 12:15 PM
Thanks to everyone for the help. Sorry I have not responded, I've been working out of town and the few seconds I have had to get on DBR have been spent on the EKB! ;)

Alas, I will try all solutions you guys have offered and let you know how it goes!

Thanks again

Pamtar