PDA

View Full Version : DUKE does it again

cbnaylor
03-22-2010, 10:25 AM
Once again, Duke holds Cal to their season low! How many times has Duke done this in 2009-2010? I wish someone like ESPN or the News and Record would do a story about this.

Classof06
03-22-2010, 11:37 AM
I just like the fact that Duke had pretty much a flawless 1st weekend, all while getting only 20 points (5-18 FG) from Jon Scheyer.

CDu
03-22-2010, 11:39 AM
I just like the fact that Duke had pretty much a flawless 1st weekend, all while getting only 20 points (5-18 FG) from Jon Scheyer.

Agreed. I just hope that we start getting better performances from Scheyer again moving forward.

We can probably still win this weekend without strong scoring efforts from Scheyer, but it puts a LOT more pressure on the rest of the team to step up. If Scheyer gets his game going again, then we have that much more of a margin for error.

budwom
03-22-2010, 11:54 AM
Once again, Duke holds Cal to their season low! How many times has Duke done this in 2009-2010? I wish someone like ESPN or the News and Record would do a story about this.

Small piece of advice: check out the newspapers in our opponents' area. Always interesting to see their perspective, win or lose. Today the SF Chronicle has a couple of very good stories about the Cal players giving Duke's defense gobs of credit.....far better than what you'll read in the local (NC) rags in my opinion.

Neals384
03-23-2010, 10:49 AM

Duke has held the opponents to their season low seven times, including 4 of the last 6 games:

Gonzaga 41
Clemson II 47
Tulsa 52
UNC II 50
UVA (acc tourny) 46
Pine Bluff 44
Cal 53

Purdue's season low is 42 in the big 10 tourney. Of course, UNC has a chance to beat their season low of 50 tonight against UAB...hoping

davekay1971
03-23-2010, 11:00 AM
Our defense has been stellar this season. I have seen articles quote the stat that we've given up less ppg than any Duke team since the French Revolution, or something like that.

As for Jon, I really would love to see our three S's all have good shooting games at the same time for exactly four games this season. Starting Friday.

hurleyfor3
03-23-2010, 11:59 AM
Purdue's season low is 42 in the big 10 tourney.

Was that the game in which they had 11 at halftime? That's gonna be pretty tough to beat, unless they bring out the 1979 unc team and turn the shotclocks off.

But yeah, I love this defense. I don't know what our best year was defensively ('88 or '90 may have been better, and the '99 team was not just an offensive dynamo either), but I don't recall a team under K which made defense such a crucial part of its success.

KyDevilinIL
03-23-2010, 12:06 PM
I can't shake the thought that because Duke and Purdue are so good defensively, and because everyone expects a slugfest, that this game ends up in the 70s. Isn't that how it often works out?

hurleyfor3
03-23-2010, 12:08 PM
I can't shake the thought that because Duke and Purdue are so good defensively, and because everyone expects a slugfest, that this game ends up in the 70s. Isn't that how it often works out?

Yeah. I thought Cornell/Wisconsin was going to be a "first team to 50 wins" type of game. I'm leaning towards the over.

Neals384
03-23-2010, 12:49 PM
Was that the game in which they had 11 at halftime? That's gonna be pretty tough to beat, unless they bring out the 1979 unc team and turn the shotclocks off.

Yes, 3/13 vs. Minnesota. 37 - 11 at halftime, 69 - 42 final.

soccerstud2210
03-23-2010, 12:54 PM
Agreed. I just hope that we start getting better performances from Scheyer again moving forward.

We can probably still win this weekend without strong scoring efforts from Scheyer, but it puts a LOT more pressure on the rest of the team to step up. If Scheyer gets his game going again, then we have that much more of a margin for error.

i hope you are right on this, but having him go 1-11 against purdue would be a nighmare IMO. we need to be clicking on all 3 cylinders to get by them.

here's to you Jon. and bringing your golden shooting touch back to life!

dukebluelemur
03-23-2010, 01:21 PM
Duke has held the opponents to their season low seven times, including 4 of the last 6 games:

Gonzaga 41
Clemson II 47
Tulsa 52
UNC II 50
UVA (acc tourny) 46
Pine Bluff 44
Cal 53

Purdue's season low is 42 in the big 10 tourney. Of course, UNC has a chance to beat their season low of 50 tonight against UAB...hoping

Didn't we sorta hold UNC to their season low *twice*? Beating our previous season low record the second time we played them?

Kedsy
03-23-2010, 02:01 PM
i hope you are right on this, but having him go 1-11 against purdue would be a nighmare IMO. we need to be clicking on all 3 cylinders to get by them.

While it would of course be nice, history suggests we don't "need" all three of our top scorers to play well in order to win. We do need to play hard and play great defense. If we do those things, the scoring will take care of itself.

Neals384
03-24-2010, 12:49 AM
Didn't we sorta hold UNC to their season low *twice*? Beating our previous season low record the second time we played them?

Well, the list includes only games where Duke held the opponents to their lowest toal of the entire season - including games played after Duke played them.

If the list were to include games where the opponents had their lowest total of the season up to that point, then yes, we would add UNC I. But we would also add the first 4 games of the season.