PDA

View Full Version : Nolan Smith and his father

NM Duke Fan
03-22-2010, 09:55 AM
Have not seen this posted, a really nice article by Prisco on Nolan, the Cal game, and his late father:

http://www.cbssports.com/collegebasketball/story/13095581/smith-remembers-late-father-as-he-propels-duke-into-sweet-16

flyingdutchdevil
03-22-2010, 10:07 AM
Well written story about such an amazing player. I particularly agreed with this statement:

"Somehow, though, he seems to get lost in all the hype. They say it's the Big Three, but the other two Duke players seemed to own the spotlight. Maybe it's because they make a lot of 3-point shots, getting torrid at times while Smith just does a little bit of everything, including the dirty work."

There is no truer statement. You can make the argument that Singler and Scheyer are more "important" to Duke (as well as you can make the argument that Nolan is the most important player), but for some reason Nolan hasn't received the type of praise and hype as the other two.

flyingdutchdevil
03-22-2010, 10:41 AM
Check it out here:

http://msn.foxsports.com/cbk/story/Bozich-Duke-gets-rolling-with-Nolan-32110

cbnaylor
03-22-2010, 11:12 AM
Nicely done. It's always nice to read something positive about Duke and their players.

Spam Filter
03-22-2010, 12:58 PM
Well written story about such an amazing player. I particularly agreed with this statement:

"Somehow, though, he seems to get lost in all the hype. They say it's the Big Three, but the other two Duke players seemed to own the spotlight. Maybe it's because they make a lot of 3-point shots, getting torrid at times while Smith just does a little bit of everything, including the dirty work."

There is no truer statement. You can make the argument that Singler and Scheyer are more "important" to Duke (as well as you can make the argument that Nolan is the most important player), but for some reason Nolan hasn't received the type of praise and hype as the other two.

There is only so much ink to go around. If you have 3 stars on the team, the third one is going to be overlooked somewhat. I felt the same way about Boozer in 2002. He was under appreciated because J-Will and Dunleavey got most of the press that year.

Highlander
03-22-2010, 02:21 PM
There is only so much ink to go around. If you have 3 stars on the team, the third one is going to be overlooked somewhat. I felt the same way about Boozer in 2002. He was under appreciated because J-Will and Dunleavey got most of the press that year.

Doesn't have to be two guys; sometimes all it takes is one. See Alarie, Mark (circa 1986) and his ranking among Duke's all time greats scoring wise.