PDA

View Full Version : Johnathan Bender

Cisco
03-22-2010, 09:07 AM
Does anyone remember this guy? the Definition of a CANT MISS prospect that missed. 31 points in the Mcdonalds All-American

game.http://sportsillustrated.cnn.com/basketball/nba/1999/draft/news/1999/06/29/bender_pageone/

what happened? http://sports.yahoo.com/nba/players/3328/career;_ylt=AoCr_1TyJdzRfy36lJxLpUSkvLYF

Games next week , how you think Kyrie will do?

Billy Dat
03-22-2010, 10:37 AM
Bender made $29MM in 7 injury plagued years with the Pacers. So, he may have been a bust because he couldn't stay healthy, but he made lots of money and didn't bust because he skipped college. Interestingly, after being out of the game since the 05/06 season, he joined the Knicks this year and has been putting in a pretty productive 10 mpg.

As for Kyrie, I hope he plays well. Point guards have a lot of control over All Star games.

CDu
03-22-2010, 10:42 AM
Bender made $29MM in 7 injury plagued years with the Pacers. So, he may have been a bust because he couldn't stay healthy, but he made lots of money and didn't bust because he skipped college. Interestingly, after being out of the game since the 05/06 season, he joined the Knicks this year and has been putting in a pretty productive 10 mpg.

As for Kyrie, I hope he plays well. Point guards have a lot of control over All Star games.

Especially given the (lack of) defense typically played in these things. See Greg Paulus dominating the floor and looking like Bobby Hurley.

Starter
03-22-2010, 02:39 PM
If this is meant to draw a potential connection between Bender and Irving... I mean, Bender went straight to the pros when he wasn't physically ready and his knees gave out. From what I understand though, he's matured into a great guy and a good team player, which is why the Knicks brought him back out of nowhere.

As for Kyrie, he'll be fine in the McD's game. In a freewheeling game with little defense, I think it's not unreasonable to expect him to potentially score in the 20's. And I'd say he's about as close to a can't-miss kid as we've had since Jason.

juise
03-22-2010, 03:01 PM
I mean, Bender went straight to the pros when he wasn't physically ready and his knees gave out.

I don't think the original intent was to compare Bender and Kyrie. It was an article about Bender and then the connection was made to Duke's only incoming McDonald's A-A player.

However, if there's any room to make a comparison between Bender and a Duke point guard recruit, I think the obvious one to make is (sadly) Livingston.

theAlaskanBear
03-22-2010, 03:30 PM
I don't think the original intent was to compare Bender and Kyrie. It was an article about Bender and then the connection was made to Duke's only incoming McDonald's A-A player.

However, if there's any room to make a comparison between Bender and a Duke point guard recruit, I think the obvious one to make is (sadly) Livingston.

Livingston, interestingly enough, is now playing for the Washington Wizards. As a Wiz, he is playing almost 18 minutes a game, averaging 5 points and 3.6 assists.

Dukeknights
03-22-2010, 04:17 PM
Kyrie will not get as many minutes as expected IMO. There are LOTS of guards in this Mickey D AA game.

With that said, Kyrie is the best guard in the 2010 class.

Starter
03-22-2010, 05:44 PM

Real talk.

Cisco
03-22-2010, 06:44 PM
I was just doing some research about the McDonalds All-American game on their website, and i noticed this guy who is the top scorer ever in the game.

I just remember how AMAZING Brandon Jennings looked when he was in the game. He looked like the quickest, best passing point guard I've seen. If Kyrie looks like him.... Can we Say, Back-To-Back NCAA Champions?

Newton_14
03-22-2010, 08:58 PM
Does anyone remember this guy? the Definition of a CANT MISS prospect that missed. 31 points in the Mcdonalds All-American

game.http://sportsillustrated.cnn.com/basketball/nba/1999/draft/news/1999/06/29/bender_pageone/

what happened? http://sports.yahoo.com/nba/players/3328/career;_ylt=AoCr_1TyJdzRfy36lJxLpUSkvLYF

Games next week , how you think Kyrie will do?

The stories of Jonathon Bender and Shawn Livingston and countless others like them are tragic to me. Both went to the NBA with bodies and likely minds that were no where near ready to handle everything that comes with being a NBA player. And in both of these cases it is likely that their injuries were mainly due to their bodies not being ready for the physical demands of NBA Basketball.

Had they gone to college and developed their games, their bodies and their minds, the story possibly could have had a much better ending.

Dukeknights
03-22-2010, 09:17 PM
Livingston should have listened to his grandfather in terms of going to college. But i can't really i talk i guess, he made a load of money.

theAlaskanBear
03-22-2010, 10:06 PM
The stories of Jonathon Bender and Shawn Livingston and countless others like them are tragic to me. Both went to the NBA with bodies and likely minds that were no where near ready to handle everything that comes with being a NBA player. And in both of these cases it is likely that their injuries were mainly due to their bodies not being ready for the physical demands of NBA Basketball.

Had they gone to college and developed their games, their bodies and their minds, the story possibly could have had a much better ending.

I for one agree with you on Livingston, I dont know enough about Bender's case to comment.

However, while we may suppose and assume that Livingston wouldnt have the same severe injury at Duke, with freak accidents like that you never know. He could have been injured at Duke and not been drafted. That video clip of his knee injury haunts me to this day.

Cisco
03-23-2010, 06:31 AM
If he would have came to duke ... (Livingston) ... We have 4 NC's right now. Think of it, Livingston @ point replacing Paulus??

Indoor66
03-23-2010, 07:03 AM
If he would have came to duke ... (Livingston) ... We have 4 NC's right now. Think of it, Livingston @ point replacing Paulus??

That is a rather extreme statement.

Cisco
03-23-2010, 05:11 PM
I'm talking about Four instead of Three, lol

GoingFor#5
03-23-2010, 06:56 PM

College may have helped, but I really doubt their injuries were because they skipped college. Kenyon Martin is built like a truck and was injured his last season in college and repeatedly in the pros. Antonio McDyess, again built like a truck, has had major injury problems. Grant Hill, a 4 year guy, had major injury problems. Gilbert Arenas is a gym rat and spent a few years in college...injured on a regular basis. And, there's plenty of guys who skipped college who manage to avoid injuries. It's a pretty random pattern if you ask me.