PDA

View Full Version : WBB: Duke 60, LSU 52

wandalee
03-22-2010, 08:15 AM
Duke takes on LSU in Cameron tonight at 7:00. Plenty of tickets available.
Go Duke!

CameronBornAndBred
03-22-2010, 08:35 AM
I'd be there if I could. I hope the crowd is better than it was for Saturday, I was surprised at the weak turnout.

DU82
03-22-2010, 04:57 PM
I'd be there if I could. I hope the crowd is better than it was for Saturday, I was surprised at the weak turnout.

There was a lot going on, besides the Men's tournament on TV. Men's Lacrosse across the way, baseball at the DBAP, and an overmatched opponent. I thought the crowd was decent, of course some of that is that Hampton travelled well (off the court of course, on the court there were whistled for a few as well.)

We'll see tonight. I came in at the tail end of the first game Saturday, but didn't see a huge turnout for LSU (I noticed more Hartford people, it's a much easier drive to Durham.) Maybe their AD will attend as well, and we can thank the LSU fans for hiring him.
:D

GLTBD
03-22-2010, 05:00 PM
My husband and I are going.

Devil in the Blue Dress
03-22-2010, 05:11 PM
There was a lot going on, besides the Men's tournament on TV. Men's Lacrosse across the way, baseball at the DBAP, and an overmatched opponent. I thought the crowd was decent, of course some of that is that Hampton travelled well (off the court of course, on the court there were whistled for a few as well.)

We'll see tonight. I came in at the tail end of the first game Saturday, but didn't see a huge turnout for LSU (I noticed more Hartford people, it's a much easier drive to Durham.) Maybe their AD will attend as well, and we can thank the LSU fans for hiring him.
:D

Mmmm, the LSU AD may be busy preparing for the Spring Scrimmage which will be broadcast on ESPN2 Saturday afternoon. :rolleyes:

Devil Lab
03-22-2010, 07:20 PM
Maybe the LSU AD will see our women, after checking out yesterday's Texas results, and think he didn't so bad after all, hiring P.

By the way - very frustrating - Tennessee slaughter over Dayton is on ESPN2 instead of Duke - LSU.

Devil Lab
03-22-2010, 07:23 PM
Must be blacked out in the Durham area - just switched to Michigan State vs. Kentucky.

DukeGirl4ever
03-22-2010, 07:58 PM
My gosh the crowd is weak! Let me rephrase that, there is no crowd, but the crowd that is there is very enthusiastic! I can't believe I see a ridiculous amount of empty seats where the Cameron Crazies sit. However, I did see one guy wearing a sweater like Brown and that cracked me up!

They showed Nolan, Casey, and Mason at the game. Nice to see the guys out supporting the gals!

jtelander
03-22-2010, 08:21 PM
Maybe the LSU AD will see our women, after checking out yesterday's Texas results, and think he didn't so bad after all, hiring P.

By the way - very frustrating - Tennessee slaughter over Dayton is on ESPN2 instead of Duke - LSU.

Duke is on ESPN2
Tennessee is on ESPN2HD

You need to go to the non HD version of ESPN2

jtelander
03-22-2010, 08:22 PM
Must be blacked out in the Durham area - just switched to Michigan State vs. Kentucky.

Try channel 32, the non HD version of ESPN2, it is on now.

Devil Lab
03-22-2010, 08:24 PM
Thanks... I figured that out about halfway through the first half. I'm way too dependent on HD!

Duvall
03-22-2010, 08:31 PM
Here we go again.

Verga3
03-22-2010, 08:40 PM
Try channel 32, the non HD version of ESPN2, it is on now.

Thank you!!

Devil Lab
03-22-2010, 09:00 PM
Joy Cheek coming up big late.

YourLandlord
03-22-2010, 09:01 PM
There is a hilariously-small crowd. Like, maybe 20% of the bleachers have people in them. It's like a pre-season exhibition.

loran16
03-22-2010, 09:03 PM
Cheek is the MVP of this game with her clutch late shots and boards for sure.

JaMarcus Russell
03-22-2010, 09:24 PM
Congrats to the Lady Blue Devils for a tough win. It wasn't as easy as the final score indicates, but they have moved on to the Sweet 16 against either WVU or SD State.

How come the crowd was so small? ESPN says just about 4000 people were there, but most games had at least 5-6 K. Is Duke on Spring Break right now?

Devil Lab
03-22-2010, 09:33 PM
Congrats to the Lady Blue Devils for a tough win. It wasn't as easy as the final score indicates, but they have moved on to the Sweet 16 against either WVU or SD State.

How come the crowd was so small? ESPN says just about 4000 people were there, but most games had at least 5-6 K. Is Duke on Spring Break right now?

Not really surprising. Over the years, unless we're playing UNC, Maryland, Tenn, or Conn the crowds have usually pretty dismal. Students seldom attend. Good to see some of the men's team there.

dukelifer
03-22-2010, 09:35 PM

No - students are around. Great win by the Duke women. The D was solid by both teams making it hard to score- but Duke made several key plays in the last two minutes. Survive and advance. This Duke team is not pretty on O but they can make most any team look bad and they can grind out wins with contributions from multiple players. We will see if they can keep it up at a neutral site.

Gargoyle
03-22-2010, 09:36 PM
#11 by Sagarin and he had Duke as a 7 point favorite including the home court advantage. This was no easy match-up for the Devils who struggle against good defensive teams.

wandalee
03-22-2010, 10:09 PM
The crowd size was probably a little larger than normal for the women's game. And the number of students was about the same - they just won't support the women's team like they do the men's. But the crowd that was there was very vocal and really helped out down the stretch. Once again, our defense kept us in the game. On to Memphis!!!

Oh, Aleva was in the stands behind the LSU bench.

dukelifer
03-22-2010, 10:45 PM
#11 by Sagarin and he had Duke as a 7 point favorite including the home court advantage. This was no easy match-up for the Devils who struggle against good defensive teams.
Tennessee struggled with LSU this year- they were much better than their seed and a team with players with FF experience. Their problem has been finishing out games and tonight was no different. Duke dodged a big bullet.

DukeDevilDeb
03-22-2010, 11:09 PM
not titled, "Women Beat LSU and advance to the Sweet 16?"

Someone mentioned that the students don't give the women love... but we don't even have a headline about them winning tonight :(

stillcrazie
03-23-2010, 09:09 AM
It was a better crowd than we get at most women's games, as some posters have said. The bleachers were more than 20% full -- I'd say about 70%. LSU was clearly the better team in the first half, and we were lucky to tie it by the half. They defended us very well until the last four minutes. Our trap style defense did force several turnovers, and our hustle on defense ultimately wore them out, but not until there were about 3 minutes to go. It was incredibly close and intense the entire game.

The seniors and Jasmine made the difference down the stretch, with great shots by Mitchell, a couple of key shots by Cheek, and all around stifling defense by KJ.

I am on a personal campaign to get more students out to support the women's team -- not sure why it is such a hard sell. The games are great, and the team is fun to watch. I am hoping that the new recruits next year will help create a buzz over women's b-ball at Duke.

94duke
03-23-2010, 09:29 AM
It was a better crowd than we get at most women's games, as some posters have said. The bleachers were more than 20% full -- I'd say about 70%. LSU was clearly the better team in the first half, and we were lucky to tie it by the half. They defended us very well until the last four minutes. Our trap style defense did force several turnovers, and our hustle on defense ultimately wore them out, but not until there were about 3 minutes to go. It was incredibly close and intense the entire game.

The seniors and Jasmine made the difference down the stretch, with great shots by Mitchell, a couple of key shots by Cheek, and all around stifling defense by KJ.

I am on a personal campaign to get more students out to support the women's team -- not sure why it is such a hard sell. The games are great, and the team is fun to watch. I am hoping that the new recruits next year will help create a buzz over women's b-ball at Duke.

It took quite a while for Coach G to build a winning program and raise attendance. Sell-outs for UNC and Tenn were not an overnight occurrence.
Coach P has the program back on the rise, and this season has brought a lot of fans back on-board. If the team keeps winning, more and more people will show up to watch and cheer. The present is good and getting better. The future looks bright.
:)

Gargoyle
03-23-2010, 10:07 AM
may be misleading but there does not seem to be much of a falloff except for this year:

2010: 4714 2007: 5852
2009: 6689 2006: 6073
2008: 6749 2005: 4966
2004: 6237
2003: 5577

stillcrazie
03-23-2010, 10:19 AM
may be misleading but there does not seem to be much of a falloff except for this year:

2010: 4714 2007: 5852
2009: 6689 2006: 6073
2008: 6749 2005: 4966
2004: 6237
2003: 5577

Wow, that's interesting, considering what a solid team we've had this year. I wonder who we're losing, students, season ticket holders, people from the community?

jimsumner
03-23-2010, 11:27 AM
I agree that LSU looked better than a 7-seed. Uber-athletic.

The key to the game, IMO, was McCallie switching from man-to-man to zone. LSU was slicing up Duke's m2m early, rubbing Hightower off screens and getting her open time after time. LSU led 15-8.

The zone enabled Duke to cut off the passing lanes and exert physical control inside. Mitchell got a putback right before halftime, tying the game at 25. LSU had controlled most of the first half but didn't have the lead. That had to impact their psyche.

Lots of heroes for Duke. Jas kept Duke in it early and closed it out from the line. Karima was very aggressive down the stretch, Cheek redeemed a shaky game with some clutch play late and KJ is playing with an almost zen-like calm.

But Bee was the player of the game for me. Her decision making and energy were excellent and she made some tough shots when Duke absolutely had to have a basket.

Van Chancellor said something interesting after the game. He thinks that Duke will play better in Memphis than they did in Durham; less pressure than playing in front of the home fans.

stillcrazie
03-23-2010, 11:39 AM
I agree that LSU looked better than a 7-seed. Uber-athletic.

The key to the game, IMO, was McCallie switching from man-to-man to zone. LSU was slicing up Duke's m2m early, rubbing Hightower off screens and getting her open time after time. LSU led 15-8.

The zone enabled Duke to cut off the passing lanes and exert physical control inside. Mitchell got a putback right before halftime, tying the game at 25. LSU had controlled most of the first half but didn't have the lead. That had to impact their psyche.

Lots of heroes for Duke. Jas kept Duke in it early and closed it out from the line. Karima was very aggressive down the stretch, Cheek redeemed a shaky game with some clutch play late and KJ is playing with an almost zen-like calm.

But Bee was the player of the game for me. Her decision making and energy were excellent and she made some tough shots when Duke absolutely had to have a basket.

Van Chancellor said something interesting after the game. He thinks that Duke will play better in Memphis than they did in Durham; less pressure than playing in front of the home fans.

Thanks for that assessment. I am not always quick to pick up on coaching adjustments, especially defensive ones. I can definitely see how LSU would have been a bit demoralized after playing so hard in the first half, only to end the half in a tie. The last 3-4 minutes of the game showed the character of this team. I hope Van is right about Memphis!

JaMarcus Russell
03-23-2010, 11:45 PM
And now we know our opponent in the Sweet 16, the 11 seed San Diego State. They have now knocked off both Texas and West Virginia and are definitely one of the Cinderellas heading into the second week.

They are led by sharp shooting Jene Morris, who again led all scorers with 27 points. I think this is a game where Coach P's defense-first mentality can really help with match-ups.