PDA

View Full Version : Charting Duke vs. California (NCAA Tournament)

Jumbo
03-22-2010, 01:00 AM
This was an interesting game to chart because of its simplicity. I'm too lazy to go back and check right now, but this has to be the least variety in lineups Coach K has employed all year. Before garbage time, Duke essentially kept the three perimeter guys in the whole time and just swapped post combos. The only differences came when Zoubek picked up his second foul in the second half and Miles and Lance played together a bit, and when Dawkins came in for Scheyer for like 10 seconds in the second half.
I thought that was the right move, btw. There are some teams -- including better teams -- against whom Dawkins can still be effective. This was a bad matchup with quick, strong guards on the opposing team and a game plan focused around tight team D. I do find it interesting that the post rotation has essentially morphed into Zoubs and Thomas almost always playing together and the Plumlees almost always playing together. This has been the case for a few weeks now, but earlier in the year there was much more mixing and matching. The important thing is that the pairings are working. Duke was great in the first half with the Plumlees in the game, and then in the second half, when Cal cut the lead to 7, the seniors took over. After starting the second half getting outscored 11-7 before Duke subbed, the five starters finished with spurts of 8-0, 4-2 and 10-2 in their last three shifts. That's how you finish strong.

Anyway, on to the numbers ...

Individuals
Jon Scheyer 68-48 (+20)
Kyle Singler 68-51 (+17)
Nolan Smith 68-53 (+15)
Brian Zoubek 43-31 (+12)
Lance Thomas 49-38 (+11)
Miles Plumlee 23-16 (+7)
Mason Plumlee 17-11 (+6)
Jordan Davidson 0-2 (-2)
Ryan Kelly 2-6 (-4)
Andre Dawkins 2-9 (-7)

Per 40 Minutes
Mason Plumlee +24
Jon Scheyer +21.1
Brian Zoubek +20.9
Miles Plumlee +20
Kyle Singler +17.9
Lance Thomas +15.2
Nolan Smith +15
Jordan Davidson -40
Ryan Kelly -53.3
Andre Dawkins -93.3

Lineups
Scheyer-Smith-Singler-Mason-Miles (x3) 17-9 (+8)
Scheyer-Smith-Singler-Thomas-Zoubek (x7) 43-28 (+7)
Scheyer-Smith-Singler-Thomas-Miles (x2) 6-7 (-1)
Scheyer-Smith-Dawkins-Singler-Kelly 2-4 (-2)
Davidson-Smith-Dawkins-Kelly-Mason 0-2 (-2)
Smith-Dawkins-Singler-Thomas-Zoubek 0-3 (-3)

DevilHorns
03-22-2010, 01:04 AM
T I do find it interesting that the post rotation has essentially morphed into Zoubs and Thomas almost always playing together and the Plumlees almost always playing together. This has been the case for a few weeks now, but earlier in the year there was much more mixing and matching. The important thing is that the pairings are working.

I have noticed this too. I think its a marvelous system as the pairings obviously know each other better both on the court and off. I'm betting they practice this way as well.

I'm not sure why Dawkins came in for so short of a time and then was pulled so quickly?

Kfanarmy
03-22-2010, 01:07 AM
Was a bit surprised to see Jon on top of the stat line...imagine if he had shot well. I don't think he gets credit for playing as well as he must be within the team D.

Wander
03-22-2010, 01:12 AM
Was a bit surprised to see Jon on top of the stat line...imagine if he had shot well. I don't think he gets credit for playing as well as he must be within the team D.

Singler, Scheyer, and Smith are all basically "tied." They all played all the important minutes (like I want them to), and the differences in their final plus/minus numbers are meaningless.

To be honest, the plus/minus numbers in the later half of the year usually aren't helpful in regards to the three S's - they're much more useful in giving us information about our post rotations.

1999ballboy
03-22-2010, 01:28 AM
I do find it interesting that the post rotation has essentially morphed into Zoubs and Thomas almost always playing together and the Plumlees almost always playing together. This has been the case for a few weeks now, but earlier in the year there was much more mixing and matching. The important thing is that the pairings are working.
I like the new arrangement. It was something I called for earlier in the season, and it was based on the fact that both the seniors and the Plumlees had played well together on the occasions when they had been in together, and also on common sense- both of those pairs obviously have the most experience playing with one another. The only drawback may be that sometimes there's a significant defensive dropoff when both Plumlees are in, but that wasn't the case today.

I also noticed that prior to the change, the usual pairing was Lance with Miles and Zoubs with Mason. I guess this is because Miles is being used exclusively as a 5 and Mason mainly as a 4 (from the cumulative thread, I see that Miles and Zoubs have played together only 3 times this year). Don't really know why this decision was made, other than Miles being a little heavier and Mason being a better passer. I tell ya though, Miles' mid range jumper has actually looked pretty good a few times lately! Maybe he doesn't have to be purely a low post guy after all.

pfrduke
03-22-2010, 01:41 AM
Lineups
Scheyer-Smith-Singler-Mason-Miles (x3) 17-9 (+8)
Scheyer-Smith-Singler-Thomas-Zoubek (x7) 43-28 (+7)
Scheyer-Smith-Singler-Thomas-Miles (x2) 6-7 (-1)
Scheyer-Smith-Dawkins-Singler-Kelly 2-4 (-2)
Davidson-Smith-Dawkins-Kelly-Mason 0-2 (-2)
Smith-Dawkins-Singler-Thomas-Zoubek 0-3 (-3)

Should be +15, no?

mgtr
03-22-2010, 01:48 AM
Should be +15, no?

I think you have made a great catch!:)

ice-9
03-22-2010, 01:53 AM
I have noticed this too. I think its a marvelous system as the pairings obviously know each other better both on the court and off. I'm betting they practice this way as well.

I'm not sure why Dawkins came in for so short of a time and then was pulled so quickly?

It's also great for next year as both Plumlee brothers will spend a lot of time at the 4 and 5...

DevilHorse
03-22-2010, 07:28 AM

I think the reason that the late season appearance for the shift is coincidental with an improvement in the big guys not generating a lot of early fouls for any one of 4 players. You can't have "shifts" if any of the 4 players have 2 fouls early in the first half. With Zoubek's great improvement in his ability to stay on the floor, the emergence of this platoon system has made itself available. No doubt that certain strengths of the combinations have been evident in practice.

Larry
DevilHorse