PDA

View Full Version : WBB: Coach G Losing to SD State

sagegrouse
03-21-2010, 08:52 PM
Texas (seeded 6) down by ten to San Diego State (seeded 11). There may not be a matchup with Duke (#2) at the Regionals.

Game on ESPN2 Western Satellite.

sagegrouse

SCMatt33
03-21-2010, 09:01 PM
Even worse is that it is a home game for Texas

AlaskanAssassin
03-21-2010, 09:13 PM
I don't watch WBB at all, how do they figure out who receives the home courts.

DukeGirl4ever
03-21-2010, 11:32 PM
I don't watch WBB at all, how do they figure out who receives the home courts.

The locations, I believe, are predetermined. They pick the sites that are going to generate the biggest ticket sales like UCONN, Tenn, etc. Then those teams generally get to play the first 2 rounds at their home gym.

Not sure how Duke got stuck going to MSU last year, though.

Someone please correct me if I'm wrong, but that is my understanding.

Bluedog
03-22-2010, 12:44 AM
San Diego St beat TX 74-63, so no Coach G - Duke matchup...

uh_no
03-22-2010, 01:32 AM
The locations, I believe, are predetermined. They pick the sites that are going to generate the biggest ticket sales like UCONN, Tenn, etc. Then those teams generally get to play the first 2 rounds at their home gym.

which is why uconn is playing their first two rounds in norfolk virginia

DukeGirl4ever
03-22-2010, 08:29 AM
which is why uconn is playing their first two rounds in norfolk virginia
They usually play up there....I have not had the time to look at their brackets/sites this year...you know having a little one and just having surgery 2 weeks ago kind of takes away all my time to analyze basketball so give me a bit of a break - jeez!

And I'm thinking the word "generally" in my post doesn't mean "all the time".

CameronBornAndBred
03-22-2010, 08:33 AM
Gail has pretty much done squat since leaving Duke. They won their conference tourney this year, but that's about it. I'm happy we have P.:D

miramar
03-22-2010, 09:46 AM
I also went to UT and I expected Coach G to make a bigger impact at Texas, but it may be that she was a better fit at Duke. It makes me wonder if she has ever regretted her decision to leave...

I'm sure she'll successful in the long run and I certainly wish her the best, but I still think she made a mistake.

GrayHare
03-22-2010, 01:07 PM

The sites for the first two rounds are determined a year or two in advance. Schools apply to be one of the predetermined sites. If the host team makes it to the tournament, then they get to stay at home. This usually improves attendance and reduces travel costs for the NCAA. This is different from the old days, when the top four seeds in each region hosted the first two rounds.

MSU was a predetermined site last year, so they got to stay at home. Duke wasn't, so they had to travel. It was the capriciousness of the selection committee, though, that sent Duke to MSU.

DukeGirl4ever
03-22-2010, 01:35 PM
The sites for the first two rounds are determined a year or two in advance. Schools apply to be one of the predetermined sites. If the host team makes it to the tournament, then they get to stay at home. This usually improves attendance and reduces travel costs for the NCAA. This is different from the old days, when the top four seeds in each region hosted the first two rounds.

MSU was a predetermined site last year, so they got to stay at home. Duke wasn't, so they had to travel. It was the capriciousness of the selection committee, though, that sent Duke to MSU.

Thanks for that explanation....that is what I thought, but wasn't exactly sure.
So, as someone posted, UCONN isn't playing in Storrs...is that correct? If so, Why? Do they have any games there this year? I guess I need to try to get on some of the internet sites to figure it out (but they're all blocked here at work :() How this isn't, I'll never know...;)

uh_no
03-22-2010, 03:58 PM
Thanks for that explanation....that is what I thought, but wasn't exactly sure.
So, as someone posted, UCONN isn't playing in Storrs...is that correct? If so, Why? Do they have any games there this year? I guess I need to try to get on some of the internet sites to figure it out (but they're all blocked here at work :() How this isn't, I'll never know...;)

Yes uconn almost always opens in connecticut, but it is not generally in hartford or storrs, it is usually in bridgeport at the arena at harbor yard....

i think they didn't get it this year simply because they ALWAYS do....so every once in a while its nice for other teams to have their sites selected...I also think there was a lot of backlash last year because of the MSU thing, and this may be part of the reason why duke is playing at home this year

that said, uconn plays at home because they can fill the arena....very few teams in the country can say that....you see duke play on campus and very few people show...its like a ghost town....uconn plays across the state from campus and nearly sells out....that's why they play at home

DukeGirl4ever
03-22-2010, 05:08 PM
Yes uconn almost always opens in connecticut, but it is not generally in hartford or storrs, it is usually in bridgeport at the arena at harbor yard....

i think they didn't get it this year simply because they ALWAYS do....so every once in a while its nice for other teams to have their sites selected...I also think there was a lot of backlash last year because of the MSU thing, and this may be part of the reason why duke is playing at home this year

that said, uconn plays at home because they can fill the arena....very few teams in the country can say that....you see duke play on campus and very few people show...its like a ghost town....uconn plays across the state from campus and nearly sells out....that's why they play at home

Again, thanks! A piece of advice for you...never have kids - your brain goes out the window - haha! I used to know this stuff years ago but I can't keep anything straight anymore!

My husband and I watched a few of the women's games last night and we were ashamed to see all of the empty seats in the arenas. You NEVER see that at UCONN and Tenn., so I know that's why games are usually played there in the tournament.

To add a comment about Coach G to keep this thread on topic :p, I'm not surprised to see the loss by Texas. I just felt she never could get over the hump at Duke and I'm not sure she ever will.

Gargoyle
03-22-2010, 09:43 PM
Gail has pretty much done squat since leaving Duke. They won their conference tourney this year, but that's about it. I'm happy we have P.:D

Actually Texas only won one game in the conference tourney this year. They were beaten by A%M in the 2nd round.