PDA

View Full Version : Man of the Match vs. California (NCAA Tournament)

Jumbo
03-21-2010, 07:35 PM
Who was the Man of the Match in the second-round NCAA Tournament win against California?

Duvall
03-21-2010, 07:37 PM
No option for Jamal Boykin?

CLW
03-21-2010, 07:40 PM
Zoubs.

ice-9
03-21-2010, 07:40 PM
Zoubek was Zouperman tonight, but Nolan was the guy who got our offense going in a game where our outside shot wasn't falling. Absolutely the most important player for Duke tonight.

mapei
03-21-2010, 07:41 PM
Nolan was very good, especially in the 1st half. But Zoubs did it all today, including a lot that won't show on the stat sheet. One of the best games from him I can remember. Offensively, Jon was . . . awful. :(

Andre Buckner Fan
03-21-2010, 07:41 PM
We should be able to vote twice. I had to go with Nolan, but Zoubs was clutch also.

CDu
03-21-2010, 07:42 PM
14 and 12 from Zoubek. It goes to him in my opinion.

DevilHorns
No option for Jamal Boykin?

Haha, agreed.

juise
Nolan is a very lose second (for D-ing up Randle in addition to the scoring), but Zoubek was huge over so many critical stretches of the game. The tip-ins are big momentum changers/builders for Duke after our opponent has played a good possession of defense.

Duvall
Offensively, Jon was . . . awful. :(

Good floor game, though. His pickerception may have been the play of the game.

basket1544
03-21-2010, 07:44 PM
Nolan was very good, especially in the 1st half. But Zoubs did it all today, including a lot that won't show on the stat sheet.

So Nolan gets the MOTM and Zouberman was the Bedeviler.

dukestheheat
03-21-2010, 07:44 PM
I am Nolan's biggest fan on the DBR, but tonight, Zoubek gets the MOTM vote! He was AWESOME and is just a big factor in helping our Devils to great success going down the stretch this year!!!

dth.

Bluedevil114
03-21-2010, 07:45 PM
Zoubs was incredible!!

BobbyFan
03-21-2010, 07:46 PM
Zoubek was Zouperman tonight, but Nolan was the guy who got our offense going in a game where our outside shot wasn't falling. Absolutely the most important player for Duke tonight.

Agree completely. Nolan was excellent on both ends of the floor. Great game by Zoubek, but going into the game I was expecting him to give us an edge because of our size advantage.

MChambers
03-21-2010, 07:47 PM
He was huge, once again. (Sorry, couldn't resist.)

Nolan certainly was our offense, especially in the first half, and also did a very good job on Cal's guards, but Brian seemed to be the difference maker.

CameronBornAndBred
03-21-2010, 07:48 PM
Every site I've posted on, I've sung Singler's praises..to me he was so solid tonight and we didn't win without him. However...I've followed every congrats to Kyle with a bigger congrats to Brian. He was insane, and before I voted I remembered the play he had digging for the steal in the first half. The tie up went Cal's way..but WOW. Seeing that 7'1" frame flying across the floor to STEAL a ball...and in reality be victourious? Yeah...Brian...you are the man. GO DUKE!!!

lpd1982
03-21-2010, 07:49 PM
I LOVE having to think about this decision so much! Nolan...Zoubs...Zoubs...Nolan. What a great position for us to be in!

GoingFor#5
I think Nolan, but easily could be Zoub. I also like what we got from Miles Plumlee.

mgtr
1. Zoubs 2. Smith 3. Thomas 4. Singler Great job, guys.

Newton_14
03-21-2010, 07:55 PM
I went with Nolan with Zoubs being a close 2nd. Nolan answered the call tonight on both ends. His offense in the 1st half insured we did not get out of the gate slowly as both Jon and Kyle struggled early on offense.

Zoubs was a beast and both Plumlee's played well. Miles had one tiny bad stretch in the 2nd half but outside of that played really well. The backwards dunk off of the lob was sick. A lot of people take for granted just how athletic and talented Miles and Mason are. That was an incredibly hard play to make especially in a game of this magnitude, yet Miles made it look easy.

Shout out to Jamal. He turned himself into a fine player. Would have loved to have seen him be able to stay at Duke and become that player for us. But obviously he made a good choice. I wish him well.

OldSchool
03-21-2010, 07:58 PM
Nolan played all 40 minutes and played tough D on Randle, who had torched Louisville for 21 in his last game.

And on the offensive side, Nolan carried us for long stretches of the game.

Nolan = MOTM

OZZIE4DUKE
03-21-2010, 08:03 PM
Zoubs for MOTM. Kyle and Nolan tied for BedevilerOTM.

SCMatt33
03-21-2010, 08:06 PM
I gave it to Zoubek easily because everyone knew that we had to take advantage of our size if we didn't want to sweat this one out and Zoubek came through bigtime.

I have to add to the shout-outs for Jamal. I would have voted for him if there was an option. Duke winning easily, but Jamal having a great game was the best case scenario for me. Being in his original class, he will always have a special place among my favorite Duke players. He is such a great guy (and I don't think that about all Duke players) and I was more sad to see him leave than any other transfer or NBA early entry in the last decade. Congrats to him on a great career and a great game, but now on to Houston. 4 more wins, baby!

devildeac
03-21-2010, 08:07 PM
Tough call. I chose ZZZ because of the double-double, great hustle, a tip-out or two, a tie-up and altering a few shots. Nolan really played well, too.

Son of Mojo
03-21-2010, 08:13 PM
Gave it to Zoubek but could've easily given it to Nolan as well. Both played great games.

OldPhiKap
03-21-2010, 08:16 PM
Zoubek was a monster force. Nolan was smooth money. Miles was viciously efficient.

Great team defense. I voted for Z but really, the great thing about this team is that they don't care who gets the credit. I almost hate to see this thread every game.

Great job, everyone. Whack Purdue.

chrisheery
03-21-2010, 08:17 PM
No question we lose that game without Nolan. He was a stud. He kept the flow of the offense the entire game. Zoubs was a stud too, but everything was set up off of Nolan's play.

-bdbd
03-21-2010, 08:24 PM
Impressive. A really good TEAM effort all around, especially on defense. But Nolan and Zoubs certainly stood out. I doubt Cal had seen that kind of pressure all season.

:rolleyes:

CameronCrazy'11
03-21-2010, 08:28 PM
ZOUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUU!

14 points on 6/6 shooting, 13 rebounds and a block, all in 23 minutes. I love this guy.

NM Duke Fan
03-21-2010, 08:35 PM
It was a hard call for me, but I chose Nolan over Z because of the way he set the tone with aggresive drives to the rim, and great D from the beginning. Wasn't sure how he would do against such a small quick guard, but he played very smart and tough D and thus Cal never got into the kind of rhythm that could've made them more dangerous.

MB in MD
03-21-2010, 08:44 PM
This was genuinely tough between Nolan and Z because they both were critical to our success, but in different ways. I finally gave it to Nolan because of his defense. I figured the only way we lose this game is that if Randle has a dominating performance, and from the first tip he was determined to make sure that didn't happen.

DownEastDevil
03-21-2010, 08:45 PM
I was going for Nolan until Zoub took that pass and rose above the rim for that jam. That sealed it for me, Zoub is the man.

greybeard
03-21-2010, 08:49 PM
Aoubke played a great basketball game. He performed exceptionally in every aspect of the game. He performed in the clutch. He fit in with his teammates making them better in oh so many ways, on offense and defense.

If there is a center in college basketball who has done more for his team in unique and diverse ways this year I have not seen him.

Would there me a measure beyond a double double that the talking heads could mention that would capture what this Senior Duke athlete, this student of the game, than Zoubek then I have not seen him.

Duke has been playing wonderfully lately and Jon is having touble playing back to back on short rest. But they are all playing at a high level, in ways their style of play asks of them.

If this tournament proves anything it is that with expanded schedules, filled with so many big games, and so many really talented players, coaches and athletes, no one is safe, nothing is assured.

Brian Zoubek has ground as a man, has grown as a person who understands how his team plays best, has ground in his understanding in how he can help them do that in a miriad of unconventional ways, and perhaps most remarkably, has prepared himself physically and emotionally to bring it in the tradition that Duke expects of its greats. My hat is off to him, and to the the star-qulaity players who with the leadership of a coaching staff has ground with Brian to allow him to contribute as he has.

Bill Walton had a more perfect game against Memphis State in the finals. That's the list. Brian Zoubek, with his teammates seeing his value and playin to it, man of the match. Congratulations Brian!

Purdue will be real tough. So will you! Go Duke!

DukeDevilDeb
03-21-2010, 08:53 PM
but really wished I could have co-men of the match and add Nolan...

I'll tell you what, though. As it became evident that we were not only going to win this game, but win it big... all I could think of was:

3/20/1993
Chicago, IL
(Rosemont Horizon)
NCAA Tournament Second Round

Opponent CAL

Bobby Hurley

32 points
9 assists
1 steal
2 rebounds
Perfect from the foul line

And despite that outstanding performance, we lost. :mad:

Bobby's last college game...

I wanted the guys to win so badly today, I can't tell you. I hope Bobby was watching because he was my Vicarious Man of the Match!

We're going to HOUSTON!!!!!!!!! :D

Go Devils!

Spam Filter
03-21-2010, 09:11 PM
I gave it to Nolan as well. Because I thought Miles also had a good game, so Z's effectiveness might also just be Cal's lack of size.

But what Nolan gave us was something no one else on our team could have done. He made life miserable for Randle, and he repeatedly took his man off the dribble for scores.

sciencegeek
03-21-2010, 09:43 PM
Zoubs! It is great to see him playing so well at this time. He picked a great time to play his best ball.

Wander
03-21-2010, 10:12 PM
I always try and vote for the player who I think legitimately had the best game, but screw it this time. I'm giving Miles the nod for that reverse alley-oop jam.

Zeke
03-21-2010, 10:13 PM
Oh how I wish we'd had Zoobs for 4 years

greybeard
03-21-2010, 11:41 PM
K had Zoubs with him on his post game interview. He highlighted two plays none of us would have thought of. When They were making their run and had closed to 7, K said Zoubs showed on the high screen twice as well as it could be done, and gave Smith enough time to get square to their guard. Said it was huge. Also said he did many other terrific things nobody would see. Said the points were pretty terrific too. Zoubek said it was a real war under the boards, lots of bows.

Who ould have dreamed that we'd be talking about Brian Zoubek as having had a major impact on the outcome of game after game.

As good as Nolan is and as well as he played, the MAN on this team is the one everyone expected, that would be Mr. Singler. He will be guarded by a beast when they play Purdue. Zoubek's screens will be all the more important.

Jon, I think has trouble playing near back to backs because of his back. ;)

DevilHorns
03-21-2010, 11:49 PM
Is Jon actually nursing an injury, or are fans simply speculating? Any definitive evidence?

gumbomoop
03-21-2010, 11:56 PM
As one who has been constructively critical of Z over the years, I have finally come to see that those who defended Z because he just hasn't been healthy were certainly right. He's been a revelation the second half of this season.

What intrigues me these days is that Z's footwork on O is still not quite right, yet..... he gets steals on D because of good positioning, which must include footwork, right? I'd sure never have figured Z for steal-disruptions, but there it is.

I voted for Z, but NS shoots daggers. And stops daggers on D, at least this time. And I'll say again that KS is pissed off pretty much all the time.

strawbs
03-22-2010, 12:10 AM
Though nolan and zoubs particularly were far better tonight, i went with jon (apparently according to the vote i'm the only one). My reasoning is all based on that he got to 2000 tonight which is an amazing achievement.

ricks68
03-22-2010, 12:45 AM
I think greybeard's comments were right on target, as usual. From what I have been seeing the past month or so, injuries the past 4 years really ripped us fans off concerning Zoubs. What an intelligent player! His positioning for not just himself, but for the others on the team, has just been outstanding. His movement off the ball sets up a lot of good shots for us that just does not show up in the statistics column, either. he is the man of the match as far as I am concerned.

ricks

Welcome2DaSlopes
03-22-2010, 12:58 AM
Nolan had it going offensively, have to go with Nolan, but like many said we should be able to choose two for zoubs also.

tele
03-22-2010, 08:15 AM
Difficult decision between Nolan and Zbek. Nolan was great on defense, and also excellent passing and shooting off the dribble. Zoubek didn't miss a shot and also played great D and rebounded well.

So who to choose? The senior?