PDA

View Full Version : Two Poor Richards that have gone limp

Mudge
03-21-2010, 01:54 PM
I won't spend much time talking about Dick Vitale and the lack of anything new or interesting that he brings to college basketball broadcasts-- his use of "personnel" instead of "players" (I thought maybe he was saying one of the teams had lesser quality cheerleaders and managers than the other one), his use of "utilize" instead of "use" (never use a smaller word, when you can use a bigger, more bureaucratic one that [you think] makes you sound more like an expert), his use of "getting the W" instead of "winning"-- his act has been dissected on numerous threads here over the years, and a majority of non-casual fans seem to agree that his schtick (including his repetitive hand gestures and nervous facial tics) has worn so thin, that he detracts from the broadcast more than he adds to it... and when was the last time he didn't go with the heavy "chalk" favorite to win it all (or any game in the tournament, for that matter).

However, the last few days have also pounded home the senility and ignorance of Richard (Digger) Phelps as well. This is a man who pronounces Maryland's star player's name as Gray-vis Vass-Kwez (shades of WKRP's Les Nessman pronouncing golfer Chi-Chi [rhymes with Mai-Tai] Rod-Ri-Gwez); who calls Wofford "WOOFord", and says that WOOFord surprised him by giving WES-consin a really tough game; who says that Purdue went on a 13-0 run at the start of the 2nd half against Siena, and "it was game over"-- despite the fact that my game tracker showed the score as 66-63 Purdue, with 1:03 left in the game; who says that Notre Dame is going to go on long run in the NCAA tourney, with their new slow-it-down playing style, "now that they got 'Gody' back", only to see ND lose its first game, as "Gody" scored all of 4 points, in the last minute of the game.

What does Digger add to the commentary on the games? Is he ever right about anything? He has always had a huge ND and Big Ten bias (has he ever seen Tom Izzo make a mistake?), and now, by extension, has a huge Big East bias, because ND is now in that conference- he nearly always picks those conference teams to win, and will pick even the most downtrodden or flagging Big Ten or Big East team to win (right now he says "Purdue is playing to get a shot at upsetting Duke"). And what is the reason for Digger's animus for Duke (given there is a former Duke assistant coaching ND now)-- is this still some kind of bitterness about Duke beating him and David Rivers regularly, back when he was still coaching there?

I know part of it is an act, but I get the sense that even Bobby Knight (who is allegedly one of Digger's close friends, from back when they coached against each other for years) has a low regard for Digger's intellect, his coaching acumen, and even the astuteness of his basketball commentary-- Knight regularly slams Digger's insights and coaching ability, when they are on panels together on ESPN-- you never see that with Knight and K.

The bottom line: it is long past the time for TV to retire these two Poor Richards.

roywhite
03-21-2010, 02:16 PM
Have to agree with your call on Phelps and Vitale.

Digger has been lame for quite a while. I think even his employer told him to knock off the incessant references to his ND team breaking the 88-game UCLA winning streak back in the day. Digger has been far surpassed by Jay Bilas and Hubert Davis, who do their homework and add something to the discussion.

As for Vitale, love his enthusiasm; his studio commentary is so-so, and his game commentary is just about unbearable, due to non-stop talking, usually about some subject other than the action in front of him.

Send them both to the Billy Packer Home for retired announcers.

Saratoga2
03-21-2010, 02:35 PM
Why is ESPN so deaf to what their guys are doing? I have e-mailed numerous suggestions for them just to listen and watch what these guys do, particularly Vitale. In doing that, I pointed out many areas where he was just plain awful. Still, he is their lead color man. Maybe more people should send e-mails to ESPN.

Vitale has a place in fund raising and motivational speaking and should confine himself to those activities. ESPN also asked him for opinions on football and baseball, with which I doubt he has the slightest clue. It's ESPN who is at fault here.

jjasper0729
03-21-2010, 02:46 PM
i believe vitale has a home in florida and in that sense takes in a fair amount of spring training and is pretty cummy with some of the major league managers/players so I think that's why they ask him about baseball... as far as football, your guess is as good as mine

JohnGalt
03-21-2010, 03:12 PM
I went to the Jimmy V Classic a few years back and - I'm being completely honest about this - Digger slept the ENTIRE first half. Somehow, he then managed to comment on the game during halftime after which he promptly went back to sleep. Let me reiterate that I'm being completely honest here. People were actually yelling "Digger, wake up" and things of that nature. It was simply astonishing. EVERY time I looked over he was slumped over with his eyes closed.

It leads me to 1 of 2 conclusions:
1. The reason you are so dead-on with your comments is because he sleeps during the games; therefore, his analysis must be shoddy. Right?

OR

2. You're absolutely wrong because he's the only human on the planet that can breakdown a game of which he slept throughout - if not the entirety - the far majority...

Cockabeau
03-21-2010, 03:13 PM
I think its time to retire Digger and Dick.

And upgrade my favorite, Doug Gottilieb.:D

El_Diablo
03-21-2010, 03:40 PM
So we're going to slam someone for his accent and pronunciation?

El_Diablo
03-21-2010, 03:44 PM
What does Digger add to the commentary on the games? Is he ever right about anything? He has always had a huge ND and Big Ten bias (has he ever seen Tom Izzo make a mistake?), and now, by extension, has a huge Big East bias, because ND is now in that conference- he nearly always picks those conference teams to win, and will pick even the most downtrodden or flagging Big Ten or Big East team to win (right now he says "Purdue is playing to get a shot at upsetting Duke"). And what is the reason for Digger's animus for Duke (given there is a former Duke assistant coaching ND now)-- is this still some kind of bitterness about Duke beating him and David Rivers regularly, back when he was still coaching there?

I don't think Digger is that much of a Big East homer, at least any more than the rest of the network (which includes people like Bilas and Jay Williams). They all have built up the conference--not just Digger. In fact, Digger recently pointed out that Duke matches up favorably with Syracuse and could take them down...a point that Bilas disagreed with and that Hubert openly laughed at. And after watching something like the Duke-Georgetown game, it's hard to argue that the prevailing media confidence in the Big East was totally unfounded. Heck, a lot of DBR posters were fretting over potential tournament draws that pitted us against Georgetown or WVU (and later, after Selection Sunday, even the prospect of facing Louisville).

I guess in retrospect, some of the deference to the Big East has proven a little misguided this year, but even a complete fool can see these problems in hindsight. And the "Big East is totally overrated" mantra may look foolish if we end up with a Syracuse-WVU title game...

WiJoe
03-21-2010, 03:45 PM
I won't spend much time talking about Dick Vitale and the lack of anything new or interesting that he brings to college basketball broadcasts-- his use of "personnel" instead of "players" (I thought maybe he was saying one of the teams had lesser quality cheerleaders and managers than the other one), his use of "utilize" instead of "use" (never use a smaller word, when you can use a bigger, more bureaucratic one that [you think] makes you sound more like an expert), his use of "getting the W" instead of "winning"-- his act has been dissected on numerous threads here over the years, and a majority of non-casual fans seem to agree that his schtick (including his repetitive hand gestures and nervous facial tics) has worn so thin, that he detracts from the broadcast more than he adds to it... and when was the last time he didn't go with the heavy "chalk" favorite to win it all (or any game in the tournament, for that matter).

However, the last few days have also pounded home the senility and ignorance of Richard (Digger) Phelps as well. This is a man who pronounces Maryland's star player's name as Gray-vis Vass-Kwez (shades of WKRP's Les Nessman pronouncing golfer Chi-Chi [rhymes with Mai-Tai] Rod-Ri-Gwez); who calls Wofford "WOOFord", and says that WOOFord surprised him by giving WES-consin a really tough game; who says that Purdue went on a 13-0 run at the start of the 2nd half against Siena, and "it was game over"-- despite the fact that my game tracker showed the score as 66-63 Purdue, with 1:03 left in the game; who says that Notre Dame is going to go on long run in the NCAA tourney, with their new slow-it-down playing style, "now that they got 'Gody' back", only to see ND lose its first game, as "Gody" scored all of 4 points, in the last minute of the game.

I know part of it is an act, but I get the sense that even Bobby Knight (who is allegedly one of Digger's close friends, from back when they coached against each other for years) has a low regard for Digger's intellect, his coaching acumen, and even the astuteness of his basketball commentary-- Knight regularly slams Digger's insights and coaching ability, when they are on panels together on ESPN-- you never see that with Knight and K.

The bottom line: it is long past the time for TV to retire these two Poor Richards.

fat chance. ESPN will be doing the tournament next year. Ugh!

WiJoe
03-21-2010, 03:46 PM
So we're going to slam someone for his accent and pronunciation?

YES!

El_Diablo
03-21-2010, 03:49 PM
Maybe I missed some comments, but I haven't really detected any animus towards Duke on Digger's part. If we're going to go down that road, we should start with Len Elmore or Pat Forde.

YourLandlord
03-21-2010, 03:58 PM
bravo on the title. that is all.

El_Diablo
03-21-2010, 04:02 PM
YES!

So do you think ESPN can fire someone because he says WOOffard instead of Wofford? Don't you think Digger might have some sort of contractual protection against something so arbitrary, petty, and inconsequential as his accent or his occasional mispronunciation of one of the hundreds of names he uses on air every year?

While we're at it, I guess we should also can a third Richard--Dick Enberg--for calling Aminu "Amino" this weekend.

El_Diablo
03-21-2010, 04:04 PM
The thing that bothers me most about Digger is the stupid highlighter/tie color coordination scheme. He doesn't even use the highlighter! He just waves it around to show that it matches his tie! :)

JohnGalt
03-21-2010, 04:08 PM
The pronunciation of Clemson by Len Elmore and a few others (I believe Digger included) irks me to no end. They love to pronounce it as if it has a 'z' in it..."Clemzon." I know it's a little strange and sounds as if there is a 'p' in it - like "Clempson" - but the dramatically awkward attempt to drop the fictitious 'p' makes it all the worse...

bluesin
03-21-2010, 05:11 PM
The thing that bothers me most about Digger is the stupid highlighter/tie color coordination scheme. He doesn't even use the highlighter! He just waves it around to show that it matches his tie! :)

I dunno what it says about Digger and his highlighter, but I saw his show notes when he was prepping for College Game Day from Cameron, and he actually did seem to be using it, as all of his notes were highlighted in his color that day, and he was making more notes and highlighting with it. In fairness, I think it'd be kinda weird if he did start using it on the air, I mean what could he possibly need to highlight while the camera is on him? :p

Atlanta Duke
03-21-2010, 05:21 PM
Maybe I missed some comments, but I haven't really detected any animus towards Duke on Digger's part. If we're going to go down that road, we should start with Len Elmore or Pat Forde.

Al Featherston wrote a lengthy article posted on DBR regarding the "Duke gets all the calls" paranoia and alleged anti-Duke biases of analysts including Digger - in the case of Digger Mr. Featherston implied there may be something there

And what about Digger Phelps? His problems with Duke started when Bill Foster beat him out in a bitter recruiting battle for Gene Banks. Then Banks and the Blue Devils beat the only Phelps-coached team to reach the Final Four. Phelps lost another big recruiting battle to Mike Krzyzewski when Johnny Dawkins picked Duke over Notre Dame. He had to watch as Krzyzewski’s Blue Devils climbed to greatness, while his own program faded – in large part because he kept losing good academic/athletic prospects to Duke....

Do I really believe any of that?

Of course, not … I merely offer it as evidence as to how easy it is to spin conspiracy webs. I don’t think that Packer or Gottlieb of ESPN are any more anti-Duke than I think that John Clougherty is pro-Duke. (Digger is another story, but let’s not go there at this time).

http://www.dukebasketballreport.com/articles/?p=20628

Mudge
03-21-2010, 10:29 PM
Al Featherston wrote a lengthy article posted on DBR regarding the "Duke gets all the calls" paranoia and alleged anti-Duke biases of analysts including Digger - in the case of Digger Mr. Featherston implied there may be something there

And what about Digger Phelps? His problems with Duke started when Bill Foster beat him out in a bitter recruiting battle for Gene Banks. Then Banks and the Blue Devils beat the only Phelps-coached team to reach the Final Four. Phelps lost another big recruiting battle to Mike Krzyzewski when Johnny Dawkins picked Duke over Notre Dame. He had to watch as Krzyzewski’s Blue Devils climbed to greatness, while his own program faded – in large part because he kept losing good academic/athletic prospects to Duke....

Do I really believe any of that?

Of course, not … I merely offer it as evidence as to how easy it is to spin conspiracy webs. I don’t think that Packer or Gottlieb of ESPN are any more anti-Duke than I think that John Clougherty is pro-Duke. (Digger is another story, but let’s not go there at this time).

http://www.dukebasketballreport.com/articles/?p=20628

I forgot (but meant) to mention the loss to a (very young) Duke team, by Digger's only team that came close to a National Championship-- I think Digger still thinks he would have beaten Kentucky in the final, if only he had gotten by Gminski, Banks, Dennard, Spanarkel, and Bender that year-- and I think Featherston is onto something when he says that he thinks Digger is still bitter about it (which is what I think Featherston is saying at the end there, when he says Digger is "another story").

jacone21
03-21-2010, 11:09 PM
Today before the Cal game, Digger said that Cal would give Duke trouble because they were very similar to the Maryland team that "blew Duke out at Maryland." I was shocked, because I remember that game being tied with under 3 to play. I still don't know what Digger was talking about.

Then after the game, when asked about Duke's performance, Lavin said that he worried that Duke relies too much on the three and doesn't have an inside presence like Laettner, Boozer, Brand, or Shelden. Forget the fact that Duke just won a game by 15 by dominating on the inside. What? Strange, man. Very strange.

Mudge
03-21-2010, 11:21 PM
Today before the Cal game, Digger said that Cal would give Duke trouble because they were very similar to the Maryland team that "blew Duke out at Maryland." I was shocked, because I remember that game being tied with under 3 to play. I still don't know what Digger was talking about.

Then after the game, when asked about Duke's performance, Lavin said that he worried that Duke relies too much on the three and doesn't have an inside presence like Laettner, Boozer, Brand, or Shelden. Forget the fact that Duke just won a game by 15 by dominating on the inside. What? Strange, man. Very strange.

Yeah, that was the game when Maryland blew Duke out by virtue of Vasquez making a circus shot (after taking three steps and traveling-- I think I could do that too, if you just let me run with the ball) to put Maryland up by 4 points with about 30 seconds to go-- after Duke led for a good bit of the second half.

Johnboy
03-21-2010, 11:32 PM
Yeah, that was the game when Maryland blew Duke out by virtue of Vasquez making a circus shot (after taking three steps and traveling-- I think I could do that too, if you just let me run with the ball) to put Maryland up by 4 points with about 30 seconds to go-- after Duke led for a good bit of the second half.

I also thought "blowout??" when he said that. Maybe he's confusing the Georgetown game with the Maryland game. Too bad no one corrected him, though.

Both of these Richards need to retire. I understand in the case of Vitale - he has been at ESPN from the very beginning. I don't understand why they keep Digger around, except as a punching bag.

Dukeknights
03-21-2010, 11:37 PM
Having a super enthustiac announcer in a packed house for the game of the week is much better than having a Len Elmore.

DukeGirl4ever
03-21-2010, 11:46 PM
I must say, I do love Dickie V, but not as an announcer. I think the time that stood out to me as being the "it's time for Dickie V to shut up" moment was when Kyle dove in to the announcer's table in the ACC tournament and he kept yelling the same thing over and over again.

I think he is a good guy to have on ESPN for things like College Game Day to interview during pre-game, half-time, post-game, but everyone else hit the nail on the head...he's more about the "personal" stuff than the "personnel" on the floor.

Get Dickie V on the sidelines...he's about as valuable as Erin Andrews, but at least he brings enthusiasm. (Side note: Doris Burke ROCKS as an analyst. I'd like to see her do more games!)

El_Diablo
03-21-2010, 11:53 PM
I don't understand why they keep Digger around, except as a punching bag.

Yes, I have definitely enjoyed watching his coworkers over the past few years get more and more brazen with how openly they can insult him on-air. :)

I used to become pretty annoyed while listening to Digger, but that tapered off this year. Maybe I've lowered my standards for sports media? Maybe I just caught him on his lucid days? Or maybe I subconsciously realized that no one really takes him too seriously for me to care if he misstates something? I don't know...but he doesn't bother me that much anymore for some reason. He has some good points here and there, which is all any of the studio folks really provide.

Mudge
03-21-2010, 11:59 PM
I must say, I do love Dickie V, but not as an announcer. I think the time that stood out to me as being the "it's time for Dickie V to shut up" moment was when Kyle dove in to the announcer's table in the ACC tournament and he kept yelling the same thing over and over again.
I think he is a good guy to have on ESPN for things like College Game Day to interview during pre-game, half-time, post-game, but everyone else hit the nail on the head...he's more about the "personal" stuff than the "personnel" on the floor.

Get Dickie V on the sidelines...he's about as valuable as Erin Andrews, but at least he brings enthusiasm. (Side note: Doris Burke ROCKS as an analyst. I'd like to see her do more games!)

"He took the charge, He took the charge, Awwhh, come on ref, you gotta give him the call, He took the charge, He took the charge... Dan, I'm tellin' 'em, you took the charge, you took the charge... He drew the charge, ref." (Repeat ad infinitum).

Kfanarmy
03-22-2010, 12:59 AM
I am one of the most critical people ever, but wow, insulting two broadcasters whose primary job is to provide commentary as the game goes on... some of you must be exceptionally talented orators. I like Vitale's energy and find him entertaining; most of the time Digger is class act. Guess I'll just have to consider you all lucky to have the time and energy to worry about how well the announcers meet your analytical standards.

The title of this thread may be ingenious, but it is also classless. What is the point of insulting these people, even if you don't like their commentary?

Mudge
03-22-2010, 01:10 AM
I am one of the most critical people ever, but wow, insulting two broadcasters whose primary job is to provide commentary as the game goes on... some of you must be exceptionally talented orators. I like Vitale's energy and find him entertaining; most of the time Digger is class act. Guess I'll just have to consider you all lucky to have the time and energy to worry about how well the announcers meet your analytical standards.

The title of this thread may be ingenious, but it is also classless. What is the point of insulting these people, even if you don't like their commentary?

"Insulting two broadcasters"... really? REALLY? What about these two schleps insulting my intelligence every week, with their inane insights, lack of awareness of anything outside the immensely obvious, and hackneyed use of the same shopworn phrases and cliches?... and yes, I am a really excellent orator, who could do a better job, with one day of on-the-job training, than these two do with decades of experience.

And the point: To hopefully (I know it's tilting at windmills) start a groundswell of opinion on the internet, of people calling for these two frauds to be exposed-- and then disposed of-- put out to pasture, if there is any meritocracy in TV sports broadcasting at all-- let Bilas, Hubert Davis, Bobby Knight, and yes, Doris Burke (or anyone else that has something insightful, original, and useful to say-- or at the very least, someone who has done their homework) have all of the two Richards' time.

Wander
03-22-2010, 01:24 AM
Not to ruin the fun, but contrary to popular belief I think Vasquez's first name is in fact pronounced "Gray-vis" and not "Gree-vis."

Kfanarmy
03-22-2010, 01:34 AM
"Insulting two broadcasters"... What about these two schleps insulting my intelligence every week... and yes, I am a really excellent orator, who could do a better job, with one day of on-the-job training... There is simply no point in insulting people because they aren't your cup of tea. If you're intelligence can be insulted while watching BB, perhaps another more rigorous intellectual pursuit would be a better pastime.

mgtr
03-22-2010, 01:41 AM
There is simply no point in insulting people because they aren't your cup of tea. If you're intelligence can be insulted while watching BB, perhaps another more rigorous intellectual pursuit would be a better pastime.

Read any good grammar books lately?:D The real problem with Vitale and a few others is that they talk about irrelevant while the game is being played. However, the mute button solves many such problems.

brevity
03-22-2010, 01:46 AM
if there is any meritocracy in TV sports broadcasting at all-- let Bilas, Hubert Davis, Bobby Knight, and yes, Doris Burke (or anyone else that has something insightful, original, and useful to say-- or at the very least, someone who has done their homework) have all of the two Richards' time.

That's actually a very short list of potential replacements. If you've watched any of ESPNU in the past few days, you can see how large a stable of college basketball talking heads has been kept and maintained by the Worldwide Leader. Then there's all the other in-game announcers and analysts, and people who used to be studio regulars but haven't been seen for a while (like Tom Brennan).

When you consider how long the payroll is, it's even more surprising that Dick Vitale and Digger Phelps retain as much screen time as they have. I get that Vitale is a bit of a franchise at this point, more bluster than opinion, and I actually don't mind when he calls in to Mike & Mike every Monday. (Maybe it's because he's more subdued in the morning, and he's clearly being more of a general sports fan than playing the role of an expert.) Phelps tries to be more coherent than Vitale, but still comes off badly on the College GameDay set with the younger, sharper minds around him.

To address the earlier concern, I think the criticism is warranted. College basketball essentially built ESPN, and the network has clearly put its money and effort into retaining its role as the sport's primary broadcaster. There's a vested interest in putting forth the best televised product possible. Right now I'd say that Vitale and Phelps still have a place in the fold, but it should be a much smaller place. If ESPN wants to stay the definitive voice in the sport, its bosses have to realize that seniority may be getting in the way.

Mudge
03-22-2010, 01:53 AM
Not to ruin the fun, but contrary to popular belief I think Vasquez's first name is in fact pronounced "Gray-vis" and not "Gree-vis."

I was focused on the "Vass-Kwez" part... again, Les Nessman and Ch-eye Ch-eye Rod-Ri-Gwez comes to mind...

Mudge
03-22-2010, 01:57 AM
There is simply no point in insulting people because they aren't your cup of tea. If you're intelligence can be insulted while watching BB, perhaps another more rigorous intellectual pursuit would be a better pastime.

So, because these two Richards are incompetent, I should find something else to do with my time-- that's an excellent way to run a business that involves providing a satisfying service to customers, in order to keep them coming back (tuning in) for more... it's a good thing you're not running the network-- or maybe someone like you, in fact, is: (all) network television's ratings keep declining over time, as more and more people have (and find) other options.

JohnGalt
03-22-2010, 09:41 AM

I suppose this is the same individual who finds fault in the Average Joe criticizing players for their performance, as they are not capable of matching it; therefore, they should not be allowed to evaluate it...

Memphis Devil
03-22-2010, 10:40 AM
CurMudgeon does make some sense here and as we are all consumers of the product being offered by ESPN, doesn't that give us the right to voice our displeasures? Fortunately or unfortunately, Vitale is ESPN's version of Bowden and Paterno. The network heads probably realize that his best days are behind him, but also that he was instrumental in helping build their CBB empire by attracting the casual fan with his zany antics and off the wall commentary. Because of this, like Paterno and Bowden, he deserves to step down on his own and not be forced out. And for what it's worth, as long as he is paired with someone along the lines of Dan Shulman (whom I personally love to listen to), I can put up with all of the "PTPer's" and "Super, Scintilating, Sensationals" that Vitale lets fly during any given broadcast. As for Digger, he is simply playing the Lee Corso role of the semi-respected former coach with mildly insightful commentary and occassionaly crazy musings.

Don't forget, as was mentioned earlier, ESPN is running a for profit business. If they felt there was a better alternative that would draw higher ratings, they would make the move in an instant. As the great orator Puff Daddy/P Diddy/Sean Combs stated, "it's all about the Benjamin's!"

JohnGalt
03-22-2010, 10:45 AM
As for Digger, he is simply playing the Lee Corso role of the semi-respected former coach with mildly insightful commentary and occassionaly crazy musings.

Corso is MUCH more entertaining than Digger. His putting-on-of-the-team's-mascot-head-that-he-things-will-win act is less on substance than show, but much better than anything Digger offers.

On a side note, I'm going to look for that highlighter next time. That cracks me up.

Reddevil
03-22-2010, 10:48 AM
Coming from some one who likes to talk back to the TV (don't judge me - you do it too!), these guys provide a ton of good fodder, and are not to be taken too seriously. This is after all entertainment. The only time it bugs me is when a game is going on - a whistle is blown - and the discussion continues about what Mike Singletary eats for breakfast instead of letting me know what the call was, or who the foul was on. That IS irritating. The rest is just an opportunity to disagree, and correct, thereby making us the experts. Maybe Dickie V should go the way of Kenny Mayne, but he still entertains me as much as he annoys. The guy is passionate. He's like the uncle that embarrasses you, but you still love him.

El_Diablo
03-22-2010, 10:51 AM
Don't forget, as was mentioned earlier, ESPN is running a for profit business. If they felt there was a better alternative that would draw higher ratings, they would make the move in an instant. As the great orator Puff Daddy/P Diddy/Sean Combs stated, "it's all about the Benjamin's!"

What about Mudge? As he humbly pointed out, he is an excellent orator. He would only need one day of training. And he gets very angry and frustrated with other analysts for the way the pronounce names (even if the pronunciations aren't shown to be incorrect), so it would make for a very entertaining spectacle.

If ESPN is truly acting in its own best business interests, surely Mudge will be hired any day now. In fact, I bet the contract is already in the mail. Good luck at your new job, Mudge...don't forget all us little guys here at DBR when you become a broadcasting star!

BigDuke6
03-22-2010, 10:52 AM

I'm sorry DukiGirl4ever. Personally, I would rather listen to Doris Burke but "see" Erin Andrews. :o

Memphis Devil
03-22-2010, 10:53 AM
Corso is MUCH more entertaining than Digger. His putting-on-of-the-team's-mascot-head-that-he-things-will-win act is less on substance than show, but much better than anything Digger offers.

On a side note, I'm going to look for that highlighter next time. That cracks me up.

I would agree with this as well. As a casual college football fan, I watch College FB Gameday purely for entertainment purposes only. I would guess that the same holds true for the casual college BB fan. They are probably much less critical of Digger's schtick as they are watching for the entertainment of the show.

BD80
03-22-2010, 11:14 AM
"Insulting two broadcasters"... really? REALLY? What about these two schleps insulting my intelligence every week, with their inane insights, lack of awareness of anything outside the immensely obvious, and hackneyed use of the same shopworn phrases and cliches?... and yes, I am a really excellent orator, who could do a better job, with one day of on-the-job training, than these two do with decades of experience. ...

Can one really insult an intelligence that can't figure out how to turn down the volume on a TV?

If you are truly such an excellent orator, instead of listening to Vitale or Digger, why don't you (stooping to your vernacular) pleasure yourself with your own oral skills?

(not bad for #2000)

-jk
03-22-2010, 11:59 AM
Folks, let's keep it civil.

-jk

SupaDave
03-22-2010, 02:18 PM
It's also pretty common knowledge around here that many posters turn the sound off on ESPN while listening to the radio/satellite broadcasts.