PDA

View Full Version : MBB: Sunday NCAA (2nd Round) In-Game Thread

arydolphin
03-21-2010, 12:22 PM
I figured I'd getting this started up. Nice start to the Gonzaga-Syracuse game, looks like Gonzaga has a good plan for attacking the Syracuse zone. For Syracuse, Wesley Johnson is really off to a good start.

arydolphin
03-21-2010, 12:33 PM
Syracuse's center just picked up his 3rd foul at the 9-minute mark of the first half, and Onauku is out for this game, should be interesting to see if Gonzaga can get the ball inside now.

juise
03-21-2010, 12:55 PM
Gonzaga is an obsolute disaster on offense right now... and Syracuse is capitalizing on the other end.

arydolphin
03-21-2010, 12:55 PM
I can only hope that Duke looks as good later today as Syracuse looks right now, wow!

Vincetaylor
03-21-2010, 01:00 PM
Syracuse looks really, really good right now. I also think Gonzaga isn't that good this year.

YourLandlord
03-21-2010, 01:35 PM
When will boeheim implement stallball????

rotogod00
03-21-2010, 01:38 PM
Why isn't there another game going on right now, so that CBS can switch in case of a blowout. Doesn't make much sense.

devildownunder
03-21-2010, 01:38 PM
Syracuse's center just picked up his 3rd foul at the 9-minute mark of the first half, and Onauku is out for this game, should be interesting to see if Gonzaga can get the ball inside now.

Len Elmore made a good point (that's right) when he said that Gonzaga seemed unsure of what to do when Jackson went out of the game. Their plan was to get him in foul trouble but it seemed they didn't know what to do once they accomplished that goal.

Not that it really matters with Syracuse shooting the ball the way they are and Wesley Johnson playing a No.1 overall draft pick.

moonpie23
03-21-2010, 01:41 PM
rout

devildownunder
03-21-2010, 01:42 PM
Why isn't there another game going on right now, so that CBS can switch in case of a blowout. Doesn't make much sense.

this has long been CBS's standard procedure for both days of the second round. One featured, national game to start the day, then multiple games together later on. I like the format, even when it doesn't mean watching one of my favorites ABSOLUTELY SMOKE somebody.

:D

rotogod00
03-21-2010, 01:42 PM
Len Elmore made a good point (that's right) when he said that Gonzaga seemed unsure of what to do when Jackson went out of the game. Their plan was to get him in foul trouble but it seemed they didn't know what to do once they accomplished that goal.

Not that it really matters with Syracuse shooting the ball the way they are and Wesley Johnson playing a No.1 overall draft pick.

sorry, but mr. wall has this wrapped up

rotogod00
03-21-2010, 01:43 PM
this has long been CBS's standard procedure for both days of the second round. One featured, national game to start the day, then multiple games together later on. I like the format, even when it doesn't mean watching one of my favorites ABSOLUTELY SMOKE somebody.

long standard procedure doesn't mean it's smart. i'm sure they're losing viewers as we speak

devildownunder
03-21-2010, 01:53 PM
long standard procedure doesn't mean it's smart. i'm sure they're losing viewers as we speak

I'm just telling you what's going on. And if you're watching basketball at 1 o'clock on Saturday afternoon, you're extremely unlikely to change the game to anything else. They always select a marquee matchup and this format allows them to keep multiple games going for a longer period once that first game is done.

devildownunder
03-21-2010, 01:55 PM
sorry, but mr. wall has this wrapped up

I said he was playing like a No.1 overall draft pick and that's what I'm concerned with -- how he plays. I don't care where he gets drafted or where Wall gets drafted. I do care how Johnson plays.

rotogod00
03-21-2010, 01:58 PM
I said he was playing like a No.1 overall draft pick and that's what I'm concerned with -- how he plays. I don't care where he gets drafted or where Wall gets drafted. I do care how Johnson plays.

gotcha. thought you were saying he could be the top pick

rotogod00
03-21-2010, 02:00 PM
I'm just telling you what's going on. And if you're watching basketball at 1 o'clock on Saturday afternoon, you're extremely unlikely to change the game to anything else. They always select a marquee matchup and this format allows them to keep multiple games going for a longer period once that first game is done.

but why the need for only 1 early game and 4 games at 2 o'clock....why not 2 and 3

devildownunder
03-21-2010, 02:05 PM
not sure why the backlog at 2:00 but I'm pretty sure if they were to change it they would push a game or two back to stagger. I doubt you'll see another one start at 12, that's too early to draw a large overall audience. Instead they just go for a big share, with one game they think will be a good draw.

It makes sense to me in that regard but I'm no expert.

rotogod00
03-21-2010, 02:19 PM
not sure why the backlog at 2:00 but I'm pretty sure if they were to change it they would push a game or two back to stagger. I doubt you'll see another one start at 12, that's too early to draw a large overall audience. Instead they just go for a big share, with one game they think will be a good draw.

It makes sense to me in that regard but I'm no expert.

i'm no expert either, and i understand noonish games won't attack a huge national audience, but a game a noon and then one a 1 o'clock might make some sense. it would have today at least

CDu
03-21-2010, 02:24 PM
A fantastic matchup for GT right now vs OSU (given that it is a 10 vs a 2 seed). OSU relies heavily on their very tall star guard/wing but lacks size. GT does pretty well with man-to-man defense, especially on individual stars (see their work on Vasquez and James Anderson). They might be able to give OSU trouble today.

Newton_14
03-21-2010, 02:34 PM
A fantastic matchup for GT right now vs OSU (given that it is a 10 vs a 2 seed). OSU relies heavily on their very tall star guard/wing but lacks size. GT does pretty well with man-to-man defense, especially on individual stars (see their work on Vasquez and James Anderson). They might be able to give OSU trouble today.

I like Tech in this game. I am not in the camp that thought Ohio St was the strongest 2 Seed. I could be wrong but I just don't feel OSU is that good. I can't get that vision of unc smoking them at the beginning of the year out of my head.

If Tech plays well, I think they win. We shall see.

CDu
03-21-2010, 02:42 PM
I like Tech in this game. I am not in the camp that thought Ohio St was the strongest 2 Seed. I could be wrong but I just don't feel OSU is that good. I can't get that vision of unc smoking them at the beginning of the year out of my head.

If Tech plays well, I think they win. We shall see.

They've started off well defensively, but really poorly offensively. If they can get any offense, they have a good shot I think.

devildownunder
03-21-2010, 02:55 PM
Tough for GTech if Turner keeps making shots like that.

Anyway, OSU has a very good coach and one superstar player. They will be a very tough out for Tech. The yellowjackets need to pound it inside and protect the basketball. They could also benefit from a loosely called game, something of a role reversal for a big ten/acc matchup in that regard.

Vincetaylor
03-21-2010, 02:56 PM
Totally expect Duke to be last ACC team standing as of 5:00 today.

devildownunder
03-21-2010, 03:15 PM
I must confess, I always cheer against Wisconsin in the tournament. The less I have to see of them the better. They have a style of play there that allows them to succeed despite some recruiting disadvantages. That's quite respectable but MAN is it boring to watch.

Richard Berg
03-21-2010, 03:16 PM
There aren't very many 1st-round sites on the East Coast this year. (It's telling when Jacksonville is the closest arena for a North Carolina team.) A 12pm game to us is 9am to others...who would show up for that? I'm definitely not awake...and even the folks who ARE responsible enough to rise & shine on weekends are likely to be at church, anyway.

Classof06
03-21-2010, 03:45 PM
If this GT game isn't an indictment of Hewitt, I don't know what is. Tech should be winning this game; instead, they're throwing the ball all over the court and are just unbelievably sloppy. This kind of play, in my opinion, is inexcusable at this point in the season.

I'd be tearing out my hair if I was a GT fan..

theAlaskanBear
03-21-2010, 03:55 PM
I must confess, I always cheer against Wisconsin in the tournament. The less I have to see of them the better. They have a style of play there that allows them to succeed despite some recruiting disadvantages. That's quite respectable but MAN is it boring to watch.

You had better get used to it, because from what I have heard about Bennett when he was on the West coast, is that he plays the same style. Slow pacing, grind it out defense.

Georgia Tech should be winning, but to be fair, Ohio State has been allowed to manhandle Favors while he can't even touch them back. It will be interesting to see what he does after the season. I think he needs another year in school.

Man, I wish MD would pull out the Mich St game. Duke likely the last ACC standing. To be fair though, ACC teams have played much much higher seeds than the Big East though.

-bdbd
03-21-2010, 04:04 PM
A-C-C! A-C-C!!!

Don't want to see the Devils be the only ACC surviver either. Come'on Terps!

Today's games are interesting so far in that the "underdogs" (lower seeds) almost all seem to be keeping it close or winning.

Looking forward to Duke reversing that trend....

rotogod00
03-21-2010, 04:10 PM
yup looks like we're about to be the last team standing. and it better not be b/c we haven't played our 2nd game yet

JohnGalt
03-21-2010, 04:13 PM
Anyone in an area that has Cornell/Wisconsin on? I'm not, but looking at the Box, it looks as though the Big Red are more than holding their own...

proelitedota
03-21-2010, 04:17 PM
This Cornell team absolutely kills from 3-pt range.

DukieInBrasil
03-21-2010, 04:24 PM
Well, it looks like the ACC is gonna be left with just Duke, as both GT and MD are losing pretty badly late in the 2nd half. Win Duke Win!!!!

juise
03-21-2010, 04:24 PM
Tech is making a rally like they did against Duke... the deficit may have been too large, though.

juise
03-21-2010, 04:26 PM
Dumb three, dumb hard foul... and that'll be the game.

TNDukeFan
03-21-2010, 04:39 PM
Sartorially speaking, Bob Huggins is the closest thing basketball has to a baseball manager.

proelitedota
03-21-2010, 04:45 PM
Maryland is still in it guys.

Lord Ash
03-21-2010, 04:45 PM
I think Maryland will pull it off!

proelitedota
03-21-2010, 04:47 PM
NVM.

strawbs
03-21-2010, 04:47 PM
love seeing greivis get his heart crushed

JohnGalt
03-21-2010, 04:48 PM
I actually feel for the Terps. That hurts...

Eternal Outlaw
Love that ending.

devildownunder
Say goodnight, terp fans.

Lord Ash
Buah ha ha!

Oh man. Thought the Terps were going to win.

juise
Wow. Great effort by the Terps. Greater effort by MSU.

jkidd31
03-21-2010, 04:49 PM

WOW!!!!! Has anyone seen a game with more clutch shots in the last 35 seconds???

devildownunder
03-21-2010, 04:50 PM

Sorry for the players maybe. But Gary has his memories to keep him warm and that fan base gets no sympathy from me. I hope it hurts.

SMO
Was it just me or did the clock stop briefly after Vasquez' bucket with around 6 seconds to go? It shouldn't have stopped, right?

Cockabeau
ouch for twerps...lol thats gonna leave a mark

Vincetaylor
Ahhhhhh see ya Terps! Can't even beat MSU without Kalin Lucas. That's pretty bad.

Bob Green
03-21-2010, 04:53 PM
Was it just me or did the clock stop briefly after Vasquez' bucket with around 6 seconds to go? It shouldn't have stopped, right?

Yes, it should have stopped. The clock doesn't run when a team is inbounding the ball after a made basket at the end of games. I believe it is for the last two minutes.

SMO
03-21-2010, 04:57 PM
Yes, it should have stopped. The clock doesn't run when a team is inbounding the ball after a made basket at the end of games. I believe it is for the last two minutes.

Thank you. I was preparing for some serious Terping.

buddy
03-21-2010, 05:00 PM

The clock stops after each made basket in the last minute of regulation.

BD80
03-21-2010, 06:03 PM
Anyone in an area that has Cornell/Wisconsin on? I'm not, but looking at the Box, it looks as though the Big Red are more than holding their own...

Not only did they hold their own, they kicked Wisconsin's!

ice-9
03-21-2010, 06:22 PM
The bracket has blown wide open for Ohio State.

They first face a flawed Tennessee team and then a No. 9 seed or a No. 5 seed without is best player and all conference point guard.

Talk about an easy path -- the GT game is likely Turner's most difficult until the Final Four.

Verga3
03-21-2010, 06:24 PM
Anyone else notice Izzo almost asked for a TO just before the winning shot....good no-call, Tom!

juise
03-21-2010, 07:27 PM
A&M has played lockdown D on the last two possessions. I really hope Purdue can figure out a way to pull this out.

mapei
03-21-2010, 07:38 PM
I can't stand Gary or the Terp fan base, so I was rooting hard for them to lose. But man Vasquez was awesome in those last 2 minutes. Without Lucas MSU is probably done after this. They had no answer for MD's press.

GoingFor#5
03-21-2010, 07:44 PM
Nice. Purdue with the win. I'm glad we won't have a virtual road game. Still, we can't overlook the Boilermakers just because everyone counted them out. Need to stay focused.

juise
03-21-2010, 07:45 PM
Yesss (Purdue). I'm looking forward to the Kramer/Scheyer match-up. I hope it's motivation for Jon to find his offense (not that I think Jon's issue is motivation).

west_coast_devil
03-21-2010, 07:45 PM
Thank you Chris Kramer....no home game for A&M

NM Duke Fan
03-21-2010, 07:48 PM
Many of us got what we wanted, game versus Purdue at around 9:57 PM EST Friday, good time for a party!

-bdbd
03-21-2010, 08:10 PM
Yeaaaaahhhh!
'was really worried about A&M's "home" crowd. If we survive, then we may still have to deal with Baylor's home crowd sorta. Baylor is further away (180 mi., in Waco) and I think the fans are a bit less rabid.

Someone feel free to correct me, but I believe their self-image is something akin to UVA's -- a well above average academics-first school, that competes well in major sports. But not the kind of place with after-game riots (a nod to College Park).

Purdue game will be a classic ACC-Big-10 tilt. And Purdue is down a key member who helped them to that lofty record. Should be a great game.

This Duke team is looking really good!!

dukelifer
03-21-2010, 10:26 PM
How many Cornell fans in the US will there be next weekend. That has classic good vs evil written all over it.