PDA

View Full Version : Bill Self and Kansas

noyac
03-21-2010, 12:43 AM
As a die hard Duke fan I have a hard time being a fan of other major programs that have a huge fan base but as I watched the post game press conference I can't find a good reason to dislike Kansas. Bill Selft gave N. Iowa credit because it was due and did not make excuses and I find myself growing fond of their program. I am not saying that Kansas is my new favorite team by any means but I am finding it hard to dislike them as much as I have in the past (Roy Williams era). Please, if I am wrong in this regard let me know but the other major programs have given me much more reason to dislike them as Kansas and Bill Self has.

Kentucky--Calipari is enough of a reason to dislike them considering his history
UNC--no need to say more about why I dislike them
WVU--while not in the same class as the other major programs I will mention them because they are very good this year and Huggins is the reason I dislike them, not because of personel.
Syracuse--I can say I have no reason to dislike them but I certainly don't consider them to be in the same league as Duke, UNC, Kansas, and Kentucky
Uconn--Calhoun and his disciplining of players is out of control as well as questionable recruiting

Welcome2DaSlopes
03-21-2010, 12:52 AM
I wouldn't say your wrong, you like what you like. Their are no true guidelines for being a sports fan, if you like two different teams that's you. But if you need a reason to dislike the team just remember what happened between the f-ball and b-ball early in the season.

RockyMtDevil
03-21-2010, 12:57 AM
Self handled the loss with great class. Instead of weeping and bringing the entire moment into and onto himself, he gave credit to Northern Iowa. I really thought he handled the defeat as well as anyone would have.

I gained a lot of respect for him and his program.

noyac
03-21-2010, 01:00 AM
I wouldn't say your wrong, you like what you like. Their are no true guidelines for being a sports fan, if you like two different teams that's you. But if you need a reason to dislike the team just remember what happened between the f-ball and b-ball early in the season.

I don't want you to get me wrong I am by no means a fan of Kansas I am just saying that I respect their program more than other major programs. I know what you are referring to when you say the f-ball and b-ball team controversy but I was a college athlete (d3) and I know that players do not always represent the Coach. I do know that the coach's disciplining of the players does represent the coach. Wit'h that statement I ask what happened to the b-ball players involved with the "incident" between the b-ball team and the f-ball team? I know that the f-ball coach of Kansas was fired but not much else.

Welcome2DaSlopes
03-21-2010, 01:05 AM
I don't want you to get me wrong I am by no means a fan of Kansas I am just saying that I respect their program more than other major programs. I know what you are referring to when you say the f-ball and b-ball team controversy but I was a college athlete (d3) and I know that players do not always represent the Coach. I do know that the coach's disciplining of the players does represent the coach. Wit'h that statement I ask what happened to the b-ball players involved with the "incident" between the b-ball team and the f-ball team? I know that the f-ball coach of Kansas was fired but not much else.

There were a bunch of fights between the to teams. Idk to much about it though. But that's cool if you respect the coach. I was just saying there is no shame in liking another program, you don't need DBR approval haha.

noyac
03-21-2010, 01:10 AM
There were a bunch of fights between the to teams. Idk to much about it though. But that's cool if you respect the coach. I was just saying there is no shame in liking another program, you don't need DBR approval haha.

I know I don't need approval but like a previous poster I was just saying I have more respect for Kansas and their Coach than before. If I knew more about the incidents involving the f-ball team and the b-ball team and how the coaches/AD handled it I might think otherwise.

-bdbd
03-21-2010, 01:11 AM
Self handled the loss with great class. Instead of weeping and bringing the entire moment into and onto himself, he gave credit to Northern Iowa. I really thought he handled the defeat as well as anyone would have.

I gained a lot of respect for him and his program.

I saw the postgame myself and was thinking exactly the same thing. It was very well handled by Self, for a coach who, probably, really had expected to win it all this year (and loses some great senior talent now).

One nit: It led me to like Self a lot more. Not sure that my impression of KA is necessarily all that improved. But yes, Huggins, Calhoun, Ole Huck and Calimari are all worthy of our -- or at least MY -- disdain. :(

El_Diablo
03-21-2010, 02:31 AM
The Kansas program had a lot of issues over the past year (fights with the football team, Morningstar accident while driving an alum's car--which apparently wasn't obtained at a discount, and the Xavier Henry prima donna saga) but Self seemed to rein it all in and put together a very strong team that only had a couple letdowns on the court. He comes across as a very classy guy, and I have no issues with him.

From your list, I have the most respect for Boeheim, with Self second. Then Calhoun, Roy, Huggins, Calipari. Hypothetically speaking, if Coach K retired this summer, I wouldn't mind bringing in Boeheim or Self to Duke (not that either would leave his current job, of course). I would not want the other ones representing our program at all.

Mrezt
03-21-2010, 03:29 AM
Yea, i dont mind Self or Kansas. I didnt get to catch the post-game conference though, hopefully there will be a link up somewhere?

Anyways, like El_Diablo said, i have the most respect for Boeheim. I do have respect for Self though as well

PhillyDuke
03-21-2010, 05:11 AM
Yeah, well I hate kans-I'm a real wanker for saying this.I'm a real wanker for saying this.I'm a real wanker for saying this. because one of my college buddies LOVES them, and he's the biggest Duke hater I've ever met! He talks so much smack. He even goes around recruiting other Duke haters from a bunch of other schools; who email me so we can debate. I love watching them lose!!!

Faison1
03-21-2010, 08:01 AM
While I'm not a big Kansas fan, I genuinely felt badly for their players last night. I always liked Self at Illinois, and feel he runs a pretty good program. The sight of their players saying prayers with a few seconds to go, then sitting dejectedly as the time ticked away, was not a good feeling for me.

In fact, it reminded me of 2006 where LSU won and JJ came off the court crying. The bar in which I was watching burst into laughter, much like it did last night. I wanted to flame-throw the place in 2006. So, I certainly know the feeling Kansas fans must be experiencing now, and I only wish that on a few select fan-bases.

jkidd31
03-21-2010, 09:09 AM
While I'm not a big Kansas fan, I genuinely felt badly for their players last night. I always liked Self at Illinois, and feel he runs a pretty good program. The sight of their players saying prayers with a few seconds to go, then sitting dejectedly as the time ticked away, was not a good feeling for me.

In fact, it reminded me of 2006 where LSU won and JJ came off the court crying. The bar in which I was watching burst into laughter, much like it did last night. I wanted to flame-throw the place in 2006. So, I certainly know the feeling Kansas fans must be experiencing now, and I only wish that on a few select fan-bases.

Carawell in 2000 for me. Also count me as a Bill Self fan.

muzikfrk75
03-21-2010, 09:14 AM
Yeah, Bill Self seems like an all-around great guy from what I've seen. Yesterday's loss had to be devastating...it reminded me of that one Kansas team that I think had Pierce and Lafrentz on it that everyone thought would win it all.

sagegrouse
03-21-2010, 09:23 AM
Coach Self: "Congratulations to Northern Iowa. ...[W]e knew that they were a good team,... and I thought they played a great game, and we tried real hard, just didn't make shots early and when we had a chance to do some things late just didn't make the play. But certainly very proud of our kids. I thought they fought hard to the very end."

Anyone else think that Kansas was sleep-walking through the first 35 minutes of the Northern Iowa game? In that sense, Self's congratulatory message to his team has a bit of insincerity to it. Or, so I thought when I heard it. But reading between the lines (I learned "textual criticism" in religion class at Duke), I realize he chose his words carefully. He said, "fought hard to the very end." He didn't say when his team started fighting hard. ;):rolleyes::)

sagegrouse
'What a torunament! Through yesterday, only three of the eight "chalk" seeds had advanced to the round of 16. Sorry, Jayhawks."

Faison1
03-21-2010, 11:14 AM
Carawell in 2000 for me. Also count me as a Bill Self fan.

I thought of Carawell, too, but I'm not sure if we had a 1 seed that year, or if the expectations were quite as high as they would be the next year. I remember feeling disappointed, but hopeful, in losing to Florida, because I knew J-Will, Boozer, and Dunleavy were going to blossom the next year....

Not sure yet what next year looks like for Kansas....

moonpie23
03-21-2010, 11:17 AM
kansas has been one of my fav teams since 40-12....

gotta respect bill self....

BD80
03-21-2010, 11:28 AM
... I can't find a good reason to dislike Kansas. ... the other major programs have given me much more reason to dislike them as Kansas and Bill Self has.

Kentucky--Calipari is enough of a reason to dislike them considering his history
UNC--no need to say more about why I dislike them
Syracuse--I can say I have no reason to dislike them but I certainly don't consider them to be in the same league as Duke, UNC, Kansas, and Kentucky
Uconn--Calhoun and his disciplining of players is out of control as well as questionable recruiting

One, unc should ALWAYS be listed FIRST as most hated.

Two, Syracuse should be on the "nice" rather than the "naughty" list.

Three, I absolutely challenge you to cite an example of Calhoun disciplining his players.

... From your list, I have the most respect for Boeheim, with Self second. Then Calhoun, Roy, Huggins, Calipari. ...

Wow is there a gap between those groups. "Angels and Demons" jumped into my mind.

tommy
03-21-2010, 11:35 AM
I thought of Carawell, too, but I'm not sure if we had a 1 seed that year, or if the expectations were quite as high as they would be the next year. I remember feeling disappointed, but hopeful, in losing to Florida, because I knew J-Will, Boozer, and Dunleavy were going to blossom the next year....

Not sure yet what next year looks like for Kansas....

Collins is the only senior. Obviously an important guy but if Aldrich and Henry come back they'll be plenty tough again.

Welcome2DaSlopes
03-21-2010, 11:37 AM
Collins is the only senior. Obviously an important guy but if Aldrich and Henry come back they'll be plenty tough again.

True, but i think most people expect Aldrich and Henry to leave after this year. Not saying it's true, it's just what i heard and read.

tommy
03-21-2010, 11:46 AM
True, but i think most people expect Aldrich and Henry to leave after this year. Not saying it's true, it's just what i heard and read.

Yeah, I think Aldrich has developed his game as much as he can or will at the college level. He's a very good college big man who will be servicable in the pros, and another year won't change that. Lot of guys like that come through.

To me, Henry needs more time at Kansas. He needs to develop his all-around game as opposed to just being essentially a shooter, which he was this year. If he can improve his handle, his passing, his defense, and importantly, develop his body more, I think he can have a good pro career. Not ready yet, IMO. But that hasn't stopped dozens and dozens like him from giving it a go anyway.

Wander
03-21-2010, 11:49 AM
All the love for Boeheim needs to stop. He's the coach who's led the absolutely idiotic charge to expand the tournament to 96 teams. While that's not particularly slimy or anything, it's going to end up hurting the sport a lot more than anything Calhoun has ever done, and I'll never forgive him for that.

BD80
03-21-2010, 12:04 PM

I never got the impression that the Henrys were serious student athletes, particularly Xavier's older brother CJ, the ex baseball player. CJ is the wildcard in the Xavier picture, as he could greatly influence his younger brother (Xavier only considered schools that would take CJ). Although CJ made noise about being one of the best guards on the roster, he only got into 13 game and had a total of 2 free throws. If CJ isn't happy staying at KU, Xavier might not stay. I would be surprised if CJ has been in class enough to stay eligible.

Aldrich is probably at that point of diminishing returns, staying could only hurt his draft stock.

Richard Berg
03-21-2010, 01:38 PM
I've been a Kansas fan ever since the epic whooping they handed to UNC in the 2008 Final Four. Same reason I like Georgetown (taking advantage of the previous year's E8 meltdown) - along with the fact JT3's offense is beautiful to watch when executing well.

Devilsfan
03-21-2010, 01:39 PM
If KU presses from the start they win going away, imo.

-jk
03-21-2010, 02:16 PM
All the love for Boeheim needs to stop. He's the coach who's led the absolutely idiotic charge to expand the tournament to 96 teams. While that's not particularly slimy or anything, it's going to end up hurting the sport a lot more than anything Calhoun has ever done, and I'll never forgive him for that.

I don't recall any major coach coming out against it. Too much job security at stake.

-jk

JohnGalt
03-21-2010, 03:41 PM
If KU presses from the start they win going away, imo.

It was devastating right there are the end, wasn't it? KU/UK was getting beat the entire game...makes you wonder why Self didn't give it a shot earlier. There have been several posts previous to this one commenting on the Jayhawks' worth ethic - or lack thereof - throughout the majority of the game. I was thinking during it that some sort of press and a few quick steals might provide a little spark...

Oh well...what is and what should never be...

Brim
03-21-2010, 04:36 PM
Probably one of the few here, but I'm a WVU fan and actually like Huggins. Never liked him at Cinci, but now that he's a Mountaineer, I've become a big fan of Huggybear.

noyac
03-21-2010, 07:59 PM
One, unc should ALWAYS be listed FIRST as most hated.

Two, Syracuse should be on the "nice" rather than the "naughty" list.

Three, I absolutely challenge you to cite an example of Calhoun disciplining his players.

Pardon me for not listing UNC first but I said major programs and after this year they did not qualify to be first on the list. Also I meant lack of disciplining with the whole theft of laptops etc.

Devilsfan
03-21-2010, 08:09 PM
I was in the Post Office and I swear I saw Huggins, Calipari, and Calhoun's pictiures on the wall. Some one get (Barney Fife) Ol' Roy their pictures. No wait since his life's been such a disaster don't get him involved. College sports isn't it great!

tommy
03-23-2010, 01:12 AM
I never got the impression that the Henrys were serious student athletes, particularly Xavier's older brother CJ, the ex baseball player. CJ is the wildcard in the Xavier picture, as he could greatly influence his younger brother (Xavier only considered schools that would take CJ). Although CJ made noise about being one of the best guards on the roster, he only got into 13 game and had a total of 2 free throws. If CJ isn't happy staying at KU, Xavier might not stay. I would be surprised if CJ has been in class enough to stay eligible.

Aldrich is probably at that point of diminishing returns, staying could only hurt his draft stock.

Aldrich and Henry say they're undecided at this point.
http://www2.kusports.com/news/2010/mar/20/aldrich-xavier-henry-not-yet-decided-nba/?mens_basketball

However, within the story, Sherron Collins says he's sure Aldrich is going. To quote, "I hugged everybody. Some people, this might be their last game. I'm definitely for sure it's Cole's last game. I don't know about Xavy yet, but I'm pretty sure, you know, he can do some things."

Kedsy
03-23-2010, 10:28 AM
Coach Self: "Congratulations to Northern Iowa. ...[W]e knew that they were a good team,... and I thought they played a great game, and we tried real hard, just didn't make shots early and when we had a chance to do some things late just didn't make the play. But certainly very proud of our kids. I thought they fought hard to the very end."

Anyone else think that Kansas was sleep-walking through the first 35 minutes of the Northern Iowa game? In that sense, Self's congratulatory message to his team has a bit of insincerity to it. Or, so I thought when I heard it. But reading between the lines (I learned "textual criticism" in religion class at Duke), I realize he chose his words carefully. He said, "fought hard to the very end." He didn't say when his team started fighting hard. ;):rolleyes::)

Even if it wasn't true, what did you expect him to say? It's not necessarily insincere to stick up for your players, and after a season-ending loss, what do you gain by criticizing the kids? To me Self seems like a classy act, and the quoted statement above supports the impression.

I thought of Carawell, too, but I'm not sure if we had a 1 seed that year, or if the expectations were quite as high as they would be the next year.

We were definitely a #1 seed in 2000, although to me at least we seemed to be overachievers.