PDA

View Full Version : Dai-Jon Parker

username
03-20-2010, 02:17 PM
Offers, they're everywhere!:

http://bluedevilinsider.wordpress.com/2010/03/20/duke-offers-dai-jon-parker-for-basketball-football/

airowe
03-20-2010, 02:31 PM
That's a football offer, Parker won't be recruited by Coach K. But yes, he seems like quite the athlete.

ChicagoCrazy84
03-20-2010, 02:38 PM
That's a football offer, Parker won't be recruited by Coach K. But yes, he seems like quite the athlete.

It said both though.

Bluedog
03-20-2010, 02:39 PM
It said both though.

But would only be counted towards the football limit if he plays both. Sounds and looks like a freakish athlete in the Nolan mold. Not great ballhandling, and a bit undersized for a SG, but a nice stroke and good speed/hops.

airowe
03-20-2010, 02:52 PM
It said both though.

The article certainly wasn't clear, but why would a kid need two scholarships? I know Duke tuition is expensive, but...

He is being recruited as a football player, but could certainly walk-on to the basketball team.

DukeUsul
03-20-2010, 02:56 PM
I think there are rules about kids playing in football and another sport requiring the scholarship to be a football scholly. Something about keeping schools from getting more football players by stashing their scholarships on other sports. I'm not sure what the particulars are.

El_Diablo
03-20-2010, 03:04 PM

Do you mean he won't get an official scholarship offer from Coach K if he already has a football one? Or that Coach K won't recruit him at all?

Bluedog
03-20-2010, 03:14 PM
I think there are rules about kids playing in football and another sport requiring the scholarship to be a football scholly. Something about keeping schools from getting more football players by stashing their scholarships on other sports. I'm not sure what the particulars are.

There is a hierarchy of precedence. If an athlete plays football and another sport, the scholarship given ALWAYS counts against football even if he was recruited for the other sport. Basketball, I believe, is second in the hierarchy...

airowe
03-20-2010, 03:14 PM
Do you mean he won't get an official scholarship offer from Coach K if he already has a football one? Or that Coach K won't recruit him at all?

Coach Cutcliffe will recruit him to play football and he has been extended a scholarship offer to play football at Duke. He will not be a recruited basketball player, but may walk-on to the basketball team if he comes to Duke.

Cockabeau
03-20-2010, 03:22 PM
Absolutely delighted with the offer! This kid is rly good

TY for stepping up the recruiting,K.

DukeUsul
03-20-2010, 03:28 PM
There is a hierarchy of precedence. If an athlete plays football and another sport, the scholarship given ALWAYS counts against football even if he was recruited for the other sport. Basketball, I believe, is second in the hierarchy...

Thanks!

DukieInBrasil
03-20-2010, 03:38 PM
He doesn't sound like the physical type of player that Reggie Love was, but Reggie played football and also walked on as a basketball player and gave us some decent service on the hardwood. Then he went on to be the Prez's "body man", which has to be just about as good a recruiting pitch as can be for a guy considering playing both sports. Then there's Greg Paulus, who is now going for a shot at the NFL after a successful college career as a basketball player and one college year of football, another good recruiting pitch for such a player.

SupaDave
03-20-2010, 04:34 PM
WR Austin Kelly (who is my neighbor) also has practiced with the team so this would hardly be unprecedented.

-bdbd
03-21-2010, 12:46 AM
When Paulus was new at Duke there was some discussion along these lines. But I recall someone in the know explaining that, as a BB-first recruit, he couldn't ALSO play football for the first two years (just BB). Not sure if the "hierarchy" of sports makes that true in reverse - when football is the primary sport.... Seems like a remarkable kid.

:confused: