PDA

View Full Version : Another opportunity for Wojo or Chris?

BD80
03-19-2010, 01:53 PM
Auburn "close" to hiring Tubby.

http://dennis-dodd.blogs.cbssports.com/mcc/blogs/entry/6270202/20528708?tag=comBlogEntryListCnt;entry20528708

For some reason, I didn't see Auburn hiring an assistant coach for its head coaching position, but I could see Minnesota doing so. Same with St Johns.

If nothing else, this could cause a mid-major job to open up.

Devil in the Blue Dress
03-19-2010, 02:37 PM

http://dennis-dodd.blogs.cbssports.com/mcc/blogs/entry/6270202/20528708?tag=comBlogEntryListCnt;entry20528708

For some reason, I didn't see Auburn hiring an assistant coach for its head coaching position, but I could see Minnesota doing so. Same with St Johns.

It might be nice for Coach Smith to return to the SEC and give his old school a run for the money.

Dukeknights
03-19-2010, 03:20 PM
i think Chris Collins will get a shot at a head coaching job MUCH sooner than Wojo will

JaMarcus Russell
03-19-2010, 03:25 PM
i think Chris Collins will get a shot at a head coaching job MUCH sooner than Wojo will

I've seen several other people say the same thing. Why though?

BD80
03-19-2010, 03:29 PM

Think Chris could pull a Lane Kiffen and hire his dad as an assistant?

I could see Wojo being higher on the list of a small school in th DC/Baltimore area, but I think Chris is widely considered to be a very good recruiter, which is why we would miss him more.

Dukeknights
03-19-2010, 03:35 PM
Think Chris could pull a Lane Kiffen and hire his dad as an assistant?

I could see Wojo being higher on the list of a small school in th DC/Baltimore area, but I think Chris is widely considered to be a very good recruiter, which is why we would miss him more.

Chris might be a very good recruiter, but the way Nate has been recruiting lately it is kinda like Collins and Wojo are taking a back seat to him now! I think Chris Collins would be a GREAT fit at Seton Hall. He would be able to tap into the New Jersey and New York lines and get some very good prospects.

JaMarcus Russell
03-19-2010, 03:55 PM
Who has Nate been in charge of other than Carrick Felix? He may be a great sleeper pick, but I can't imagine it's too hard to convince a guy to come to Duke when his best offers are Arizona State, South Florida, and some mid-majors.

JohnGalt
03-19-2010, 04:03 PM
Who has Nate been in charge of other than Carrick Felix? He may be a great sleeper pick, but I can't imagine it's too hard to convince a guy to come to Duke when his best offers are Arizona State, South Florida, and some mid-majors.

I believe he led the way with Gbinije.

Dukeknights
03-19-2010, 04:22 PM

Gbinijie and now Tyler Adams...i am pretty sure he is the one on Shabazz Muhhamad(2012) and that he scouted LJ Rose (2012)

BD80
03-19-2010, 05:15 PM
Looks like Nate has also got us in good position with the Ivan Brothers, 7'2" and 7'8" transfers from West Eastern State:

http://www.youtube.com/CapitalOne

There are issues: multiple weapons charges, multiple incidents of mayhem, and some nasty rumors from townfolk of ransacked villages and stormed castles. But they were very good students.

The real problem appears to be contractual, AmEx forbids Coach K from being seen with these CapitalOne superstars on commercial TV. Duke Engineers and Nike had devised a uniform/burqa for the brothers to wear, but the horns on their helmets would lead to wardrobe malfunctions. They are now working on a burqa for the coaching box ...

Anyhow, it seems like the Ivan brothers related well to Nate, comparing some of their activities to what Nate did to Maryland ...

airowe
03-19-2010, 05:23 PM
Chris might be a very good recruiter, but the way Nate has been recruiting lately it is kinda like Collins and Wojo are taking a back seat to him now! I think Chris Collins would be a GREAT fit at Seton Hall. He would be able to tap into the New Jersey and New York lines and get some very good prospects.
Kyrie Irving and Austin Rivers say hi.

Dukeknights
03-19-2010, 05:34 PM
Kyrie Irving and Austin Rivers say hi.

Austin Rivers opened up to Duke.

Kyrie Irving is from New Jersey, that is why i said i thought Chris Collins could tap into the New Jersey/ NYC pipelines.

NYC Duke Fan
03-19-2010, 06:05 PM

I was away and I must have missed something. When did Smith leave Minnesota ? Was he fired or did he quit ?

airowe
03-19-2010, 06:07 PM

Kyrie Irving is from New Jersey, that is why i said i thought Chris Collins could tap into the New Jersey/ NYC pipelines.

So, nobody had to recruit Austin Rivers once he opened up to Duke? He calls Duke, setup his trip, took himself on a tour of the facilities, etc, etc. Interesting.

Collins could recruit well at other schools because he can get players from NJ/NYC but not to Duke? You have a very strange, simplified way of looking at things that don't agree with facts.

roywhite
03-19-2010, 06:16 PM
The Penn State job is not currently open, but may be soon.

Would be a good fit for Collins or Wojo IMO...positives include facilities, good quality university, clean reputation, major conference, fertile recruiting area, program has been down.

Just my opinion, but I hope at least one of the Collins/Wojo duo makes a move in the off-season. Good for their own professional development, and Duke can find good replacements (or have them in house). About time for Coach K's "kids" to start positioning themselves for his seat 8 or 10 years down the road.

Cameron
03-19-2010, 06:36 PM
Looks like Nate has also got us in good position with the Ivan Brothers, 7'2" and 7'8" transfers from West Eastern State:

http://www.youtube.com/CapitalOne

There are issues: multiple weapons charges, multiple incidents of mayhem, and some nasty rumors from townfolk of ransacked villages and stormed castles. But they were very good students.

The real problem appears to be contractual, AmEx forbids Coach K from being seen with these CapitalOne superstars on commercial TV. Duke Engineers and Nike had devised a uniform/burqa for the brothers to wear, but the horns on their helmets would lead to wardrobe malfunctions. They are now working on a burqa for the coaching box ...

Anyhow, it seems like the Ivan brothers related well to Nate, comparing some of their activities to what Nate did to Maryland ...

That's pretty damn funny.

Nicely done.

wilson
03-19-2010, 06:47 PM

So, nobody had to recruit Austin Rivers once he opened up to Duke? He calls Duke, setup his trip, took himself on a tour of the facilities, etc, etc. Interesting.

Collins could recruit well at other schools because he can get players from NJ/NYC but not to Duke? You have a very strange, simplified way of looking at things that don't agree with facts.I think that Dukeknights meant that Coach Collins might be able to tap into those pipelines because the same has been done at Duke, not in spite of the fact that it hasn't.
It seems to me that yours is the strange way of looking at things here, and that it is based on a hypersensitive read of the discussion.

buddy
03-19-2010, 07:46 PM
Have you ever been to State College? In the winter? PSU is a football school, with no discernible civilization within two hours. There is a reason why the school has never had basketball success. For either Chris of Wojo to go there would be to commit professional suicide.

jimsumner
03-19-2010, 08:34 PM
[PSU] Would be a good fit for Collins or Wojo IMO...positives include facilities, good quality university, clean reputation, major conference, fertile recruiting area, program has been down."

The "program has been down" is an understatement of colossal proportions. It's never actually been up. Well, technically that's not true. They were pretty good in the mid-1950s. So was LaSalle and nobody's knocking down their door. Penn State has been to the NCAAs three times in the last fifty years and have been ranked in the AP poll 15 weeks in 60 years.

Big-time football school? Yes. Hoops? Not so much.

I can't imagine this job being attractive to either Collins or Wojo.

Duvall
03-19-2010, 08:37 PM
The "program has been down" is an understatement of colossal proportions. It's never actually been up. Well, technically that's not true. They were pretty good in the mid-1950s. So was LaSalle and nobody's knocking down their door. Penn State has been to the NCAAs three times in the last fifty years and have been ranked in the AP poll 15 weeks in 60 years.

Yeah, but at least they made the last time count.

Cameron
03-19-2010, 08:38 PM
Penn State sounds like a trap honestly.

I live in Big Ten country, and PSU is absolutely a nothing in basketball. I'd rather coach at Denver.

Cameron
03-19-2010, 08:40 PM
Yeah, but at least they made the last time count.

This is also true. :D

jimsumner
03-19-2010, 09:10 PM
Yea, but Weber State wouldn't be a great job either. :)

Freddy Brown
03-24-2010, 12:12 AM
Have seen his name tossed out for both Seton Hall and Iowa. Any word on that end?

P.S. I'm a Duke grad in Iowa, have seen a lot of Purdue this season. The loss of Hummel was huge for them, and I think Duke wins--perhaps comfortably. I never thought I'd say this, but I think Duke has the advantage inside!

Dukeknights
03-24-2010, 12:24 AM
Collins would be a perfect fit over at the Hall IMO. I hope he stays though.

-bdbd
03-24-2010, 10:16 AM
Collins would be a perfect fit over at the Hall IMO. I hope he stays though.

Not sure how welcoming Seton Hall would be to a Duke/K assistant several years after their whole Amaker experience. I seem to recall they felt a bit cheated when he left for (supposedly) greener pasture in Michigan...

I would think Auburn wouldn't be a bad match, especially given their apparently terrific new facillities.

You have to believe that Coach Collins is getting pretty close to being ready to strike out on his own soon. Is the perception that Wojo might be a couple years later than Collins?

Cockabeau
03-24-2010, 10:25 AM
I hope both Chris Collins and Wojo are proactive in their HCing gig.
Them leaving for head coaching jobs opens the door for other former Duke players to get into coaching....

dukeimac
03-24-2010, 11:20 AM
Question, if Wojo or Collins go do they take anyone with them?

You guys make it sound like they will do the coaching and the recruiting. I know Coach K leaves the leg work to Wojo, Collins, Nate, etc. They evaluate guys together but then one goes to see them and talk with them, etc. These guys are the face of Duke and everyone knows that. So when a Wojo shows up at a game to see a recruit "Duke" is there. Its almost like Coach K is there. That is huge.

I know people say Wojo is the reason why Zo is much better at the post, he worked with him but does that mean he can coach? It took a long long time for Dawkins to feel comfortable leaving the nest. Lets see how well Stanford recruits. I would beat he is a far better coach then Wojo or Collins and if he can get the recruits I would think Wojo or Collins could try it but I would wait to see what happens with Stanford first.

Once they are gone it will be very hard to make room for them to come back, look at Quinn.

If there is a Duke coach that people should pursue it would be Quinn. Been watching him in the D-League for a few years and his players (pro players) listen to him and he does a good job schooling them. Year in and year out they are one of the better teams. What he would need is to find someone who would be able to recruit for him like a Nate. If he could do that he would be a good fit somewhere. I feel within the next couple of years, if he stays in the D-league, he will be an assistant at the NBA level.

But I think Duke is the ideal system. A proven coach with guys around him that do the leg work and recruit for the coach. Wojo and Collins is just one piece of the puzzle and if you don't have the full puzzle you won't succeed.

Duke12
03-24-2010, 11:38 AM
I believe WoJo is the one in the family who has the best shot at succeeding Coach in 8-10 years. His age/backgound/fire and leadership skills resemble a young coach from Army that we are all familar with. Thus, it is very important for Coach K to map out a possible succession plan for Steve....also think Jon will be a Duke assistant down the road

Mal
03-24-2010, 01:04 PM
Back to the original post, I think it should be updated that there's been no indication that the initial report of Tubby being "close" to signing with Auburn had any veracity behind it. Anything can happen at any time, of course, but Tubby immediately gave the expected "I'm looking forward to coming back to Minnesota, this Auburn talk is just that...talk" response and nothing has been heard on the story since. Not that that means anything, but I don't think any more smoke has been seen in the last five days.

Not to mention that it generally doesn't make a whole lot of sense: why would a guy like Tubby Smith, who's been warmly welcomed at a place with low expectations but fairly high upside, not to mention an underrated recruiting base and a good young core that could challenge the upper tier of the Big Ten for the next few seasons, want to drop that to go to a football school in the middle of nowhere at this stage of his career? If you replaced "Auburn" with "USC" or something, I think the rumors would have more plausibility.

Anyway, not trying to take away from the "what schools would be good fits for Collins and Wojo?" discussion, just thought I'd point out that the carousel doesn't look as likely to start with Minnesota as it did a week ago.

burnspbesq
03-24-2010, 03:07 PM
Any list of potential destinations for Chris Collins that doesn't include Oregon is incomplete.

New building opening next year.
Rabid fan base, through thick and thin.
Solid academics to sell, but not so solid that the admissions office can keep a coach from getting recruits he wants.
Beautiful campus and surrounding area.
Low cost of living.
Proximity to the incredibly fertile Southern California recruiting base.

superdave
03-24-2010, 03:15 PM
As of yesterday, neither was on the long lists of possibilities for any of the openings listed at Espn Insider. That is not the final authority by any means, but is a decent indicator most likely.

BD80
03-29-2010, 11:18 AM
Iona, Sienna, and Marshall open up. Would Wojo and/or Collins be interested in any of these schools?

theAlaskanBear
03-29-2010, 11:45 AM

I agree. Collins has pedigree and because of his dad and his time at Duke, he also has NBA connections. That matters a great deal, because he can say to a recruit, "I know what it takes to succeed in the NBA."

Seeing as he was an assistant at Seton Hall for two years before Amaker left for Michigan, he knows the NYC landscape. HOWEVER, word is the Seton Hall job has just been filled, by former Iona Head Coach.

St. John's is still open, but they are looking for star power. The joke is on them if they actually hire Steve Lavin. Fran McCaffery left Sienna, and he would be a great pick for the St. John's job.

I dont think collins or wojo go anywhere in the next year, because of the big time class coming in and the potential for championships.