PDA

View Full Version : MBB: Friday NCAA (1st Round) In-Game Thread

Troublemaker
03-19-2010, 12:17 PM
For all non-Duke action...

KyDevilinIL
03-19-2010, 12:26 PM
Another rousing start by the Big East. WVa down 10-0 at first media timeout.

I doubt it lasts.

TNDukeFan
03-19-2010, 01:13 PM
Anybody have access to one of those online brackets that gives % of people who choose each team? I'm thinking many, if not a majority, chose Cornell here.

strawbs
03-19-2010, 01:28 PM
so i'm student teaching right now, it's my prep period, and the teacher is out of town. Is it bad that me and the substitute are watching basketball on the tv in the classroom :o
Gotta love the ncaa tourney!

Chard
03-19-2010, 01:31 PM
Ahhhhhh. Everyone back in the jacuzzi.

Anybody have access to one of those online brackets that gives % of people who choose each team? I'm thinking many, if not a majority, chose Cornell here.

I know the ESPN Tournament challenge will show you the national bracket.

This may work: http://games.espn.go.com/tcmen/en/nationalBracket

TNDukeFan
03-19-2010, 01:42 PM
I know the ESPN Tournament challenge will show you the national bracket.

This may work: http://games.espn.go.com/tcmen/en/nationalBracket

Found it. 33% chose Cornell.

devildeac
03-19-2010, 01:54 PM
Found it. 33% chose Cornell.

High above Cayuga's waters...

superdave
03-19-2010, 01:58 PM
WV up 30 with 8 minutes to go and cbs is not switching to other games. Thanks cbs. I should be able to buy the March Madness package on Comcast right?!

I guess Jay Bilas was right about Cornell.

camion
03-19-2010, 02:11 PM
I'm switching games on the computer at http://mmod.ncaa.com/.

Chard
03-19-2010, 02:30 PM
It's not over yet with :38 left but let's call this one for the X men who are up 63-54.

Xavier advances 65-54.

DukieInKansas
03-19-2010, 03:16 PM
High above Cayuga's waters...

There's an awful smell :D

Dukeknights
03-19-2010, 03:18 PM
so Cornell and WVU have won so far? from the bit i saw of the Cornell-Temple game that 7 footer is pretty darn good..

MChambers
03-19-2010, 04:20 PM
Except for Clemson, tied at 50. Good news is that Missouri has 6 fouls already; bad news is that Clemson may have to shoot free throws soon.

Hope the Duke game is boring.

superdave
03-19-2010, 04:30 PM
Onions, double order!

Ha! Did anyone else hear that!?

camion
03-19-2010, 04:35 PM
(13) Wofford up on (4) Wisconsin 38-37 in 11:00 to go in the second half.

moonpie23
03-19-2010, 05:03 PM
clemson going down...

moonpie23
03-19-2010, 05:06 PM
wow....wofford hangin with the team that whipped us pretty good...

i think that only shows how different duke is now...

Saratoga2
03-19-2010, 05:37 PM

i think that only shows how different duke is now...

Wisconsin found a way to win. They are not a high scoring team so can be upset by a lower seed more easily than some. They are also a very smart team and know how to pull out a win. Anyones guess on Wisconsin/Cornell.

juise
03-19-2010, 05:37 PM

Looks like the same margin of victory to me and this one was on a neutral court instead of the Kohl's Center. I agree that Duke is better now, but let's not make it out to be a completely surperior performance by Wofford. Duke was within 1 with 5 seconds remaining.

TNDukeFan
03-19-2010, 07:03 PM
I went with MD, FSU, and GT tonight. Hope I don't feel stupid later...

TNDukeFan
03-19-2010, 07:09 PM

Oh yeah...and Duke.:D

El_Diablo
03-19-2010, 07:09 PM

I did the same thing.

I already feel stupid. :D

juise
03-19-2010, 08:20 PM
Not so great for the ACC today. GT has a chance, but FSU's prospects look dismal (down 16 at half, which is only three less than they've scored).

mph
03-19-2010, 09:08 PM
FSU is making a nice run to get back in it and the Zags are looking tentative on offense.

El_Diablo
03-19-2010, 09:15 PM
Both the GT and FSU games are within 4 points, with less than 3 mins left. Yet CBS is sticking with the Duke game here in NC.

mph
03-19-2010, 09:18 PM
Free throws are going to be the difference in the FSU-Gonzaga game. FSU missed three critical free throws while the Zags were making 9 of their last 10.

NYDukie
03-19-2010, 09:29 PM
Just wanted to recap what the top 5 seeds (figure there isn't much difference b/w the 4 & 5 seeds) did in each region since Duke's South bracket was blasted by many as being so easy.

East:

UK won
WVU won
NM won
Wisconsin won (barely)
Temple lost

Midwest:

KU won
OSU TBD
G-Town lost (hahahahaha)
MD TBD
MSU in a dogfight right now

West:

SU TB:D
KSU won
Pitt won
Vandy lost
Butler won

South, all top 5 seeds advance.

So for all the talk about how terrible Duke's bracket was, the top 5 seeds all held serve in the South region, whereas, each other region had some team in the top 5 bow out with others to be determined or in peril as we speak. I know a lot could change over the weekend but it just goes to show you that many of these pundits need not rush to judgement. As one of the committee members said, let the games play out as the brackets rarely go chalk.

GO DUKEEEEEE!!!!!

mph
03-19-2010, 09:33 PM
GT wins a close one! Solid defense and free throw shooting down the stretch.

dukelifer
03-19-2010, 09:33 PM
Ga Tech wins and Hewitt justifies his new contract. Good win for the ACC.

dukelifer
03-19-2010, 09:34 PM
Close game with New Mexico State and Michigan State

proelitedota
03-19-2010, 09:36 PM
Good win Tech.

Now should i be cheering for the Terps. hmm.

Newton_14
03-19-2010, 09:44 PM
Good win Tech.

Now should i be cheering for the Terps. hmm.

This won't be popular, but I have no problem pulling for Maryland tonight. I am pulling for all the ACC teams just like I always do this time of the year, with the exception of course of unc @ch. Go Mississippi State!

I hope Maryland gets it done tonight. Good to see Ga Tech get the win. FSU shot themselves in the foot.

Mich State in a tight game with 3 to go. Pulling for the upset in that one.

GoingFor#5
03-19-2010, 10:06 PM
A lane violation...really? I mean, are you serious refs? Wow, just cost NMSU a decent shot at that one.

NSDukeFan
03-19-2010, 10:07 PM
I was certainly surprised to see a lane violation with nobody rebounding at the end to kill New Mexico's chances. Too bad. Nice win for Georgia Tech and nice comeback from Florida St. but they wasted some opportunities.

El_Diablo
03-19-2010, 10:22 PM
A lane violation...really? I mean, are you serious refs? Wow, just cost NMSU a decent shot at that one.

Actually, it was Gillenwater who cost NMSU a decent shot. He was the one on the FAR side who slid his foot into the MSU player's block, looked down, then moved his foot back into his block during the shot...and the one who the ref called it on, not the player the commentators were focused on in the replays on the near side. Although that other guy also committed a lane violation by stepping into the lane a split second early, the ref called it on the player who had his foot incorrectly positioned over his hash mark.

Tough break for NMSU...but the ref made the correct call.

94duke
03-19-2010, 10:25 PM
Actually, it was Gillenwater who cost NMSU a decent shot. He was the one on the FAR side who slid his foot into the MSU player's block, looked down, then moved his foot back into his block during the shot...and the one who the ref called it on, not the player the commentators were focused on in the replays on the near side. Although that other guy also committed a lane violation by stepping into the lane a split second early, the ref called it on the player who had his foot incorrectly positioned over his hash mark.

that's what i saw, too.

CDu
03-19-2010, 10:30 PM
Cal up 12-2 about 5 minutes in. They're shooting well, and... Louisville isn't. And Louisville has 3 early turnovers.

El_Diablo
03-19-2010, 10:31 PM
that's what i saw, too.

I had to go to the DVR and slow it down a couple times. :D

dukelifer
03-19-2010, 10:34 PM
Cal up 12-2 about 5 minutes in. They're shooting well, and... Louisville isn't. And Louisville has 3 early turnovers.

Almost up 20. Cal is on fire

BigZ
03-19-2010, 10:34 PM
Good to see Cal shooting at an insane rate, no way they can do this in their next game which would be against a great defense.

gofurman
03-19-2010, 10:36 PM
do we really want cal? they seem to shoot the 3 a lot - maybe that is what we want. / not playing much tough inside/ early in this one: let me know your thoughts/ I am sure you guys know more than I

CDu
03-19-2010, 10:36 PM
Now it's 22-4 with 13:37 to go in the first half. Cal is just not missing.

CDu
03-19-2010, 10:38 PM
do we really want cal? they seem to shoot the 3 a lot - maybe that is what we want. / not playing much tough inside/ early in this one: let me know your thoughts/ I am sure you guys know more than I

Cal plays the 4-out, 1-in strategy that can give us trouble, and they have very good guards and shooters. But they don't play defense, and they are REALLY small. It's hard to tell how the game would play out.

I will say that Cal could certainly give us trouble. But we could also dominate the glass. If they aren't hitting shots, they wouldn't get many second chances. On the other hand, we'd get a lot of them.

gofurman
03-19-2010, 10:41 PM
trying to figure who to pull for? please let me know who is the better matchup for Duke - as you said cal seems to play a lot of guards which makes me shudder as I rcall VU ... on the other hand they are small

But then I have no feel for Louisville yet as they haven't been able to do anything. My gut is I don't want Pitino but so far Louisville looks like junk.

davekay1971
03-19-2010, 10:42 PM
I just don't understand. I thought the Big East was the best conference in the history of history. I thought Louisville had already won this game. And beaten Duke in the next round. WTF, man?!

gofurman
03-19-2010, 10:44 PM
also Randle/cal looks very fast and controlld which scares me

CDu
03-19-2010, 10:44 PM
trying to figure who to pull for? please let me know who is the better matchup for Duke - as you said cal seems to play a lot of guards which makes me shudder as I rcall VU ... on the other hand they are small

But then I have no feel for Louisville yet as they haven't been able to do anything. My gut is I don't want Pitino but so far Louisville looks like junk.

Louisville is the inferior team and we probably match up better against them than Cal. We're better than either team, but Louisville is probably the team we want to play. Right now, it doesn't look like that's going to be the case.

That said, Cal will be short-handed and REALLY undersized.

dukelifer
03-19-2010, 10:46 PM
Louisville is the inferior team and we probably match up better against them than Cal. We're better than either team, but Louisville is probably the team we want to play. Right now, it doesn't look like that's going to be the case.

There is a simple rule of basketball- you cannot beat a team shooting 70%.

Duvall
03-19-2010, 10:47 PM

At this point it looks like you might as well sit back and root for Boykin, because it don't look like Louisville is going to get it done.

gofurman
03-19-2010, 10:49 PM

I am feeling I too would rather Louisville. Cal seems to have a lot of quick gurads who can get to the rim.

The only plus to playing Cal is that I noticed Louisville has many more fans there. Duke would have a fan advantage playing against Cal.

CDu
03-19-2010, 10:50 PM
At this point it looks like you might as well sit back and root for Boykin, because it don't look like Louisville is going to get it done.

Yeah, Cal is cruising. No point in worrying. The good news is that maybe they will shoot themselves out tonight and have nothing left Sunday.

dukelifer
03-19-2010, 10:51 PM
I am feeling I too would rather Louisville. Cal seems to have a lot of quick gurads who can get to the rim.
Game is different when you stop hitting shots. Louisville can play D.

CDu
03-19-2010, 10:51 PM
Or maybe Cal will fall apart tonight and lose to Louisville...

CDu
03-19-2010, 10:52 PM
Game is different when you stop hitting shots. Louisville can play D.

Cal is still hitting shots. They're just turning it over.

dukelifer
03-19-2010, 11:04 PM
Cal is still hitting shots. They're just turning it over.
Well they are a more human 56% from a high of 70%

basket1544
03-19-2010, 11:08 PM
Thoughts on the "other" games tonight: Surprised by Cal's offense. Glad Houston is giving Maryland its best... Yelling Go Vasquez so that my bracket isn't broken. I think I've confused my family though.

Troublemaker
03-19-2010, 11:10 PM
I'm rooting very hard for a Louisville comeback here. Cal's going to be a problematic matchup. We can't really go small against them because I think Cal would have the better team on the court if Duke uses, say, a line up of Scheyer/Smith/Dawkins/Singler/Thomas, if for no other reason than the fact that Cal plays small all the time and we don't. Plus, Zoubek has become such an integral part of the team that I would think he has to stay on the court, even though Coach K would usually sit him against an opponent like Cal. It'll be our size vs their speed -- there's no getting around that -- and hopefully we grab enough boards, score enough inside and Cal misses enough shots for us to come out on top.

Newton_14
03-19-2010, 11:18 PM
Good to see Cal shooting at an insane rate, no way they can do this in their next game which would be against a great defense.

I was thinking the same thing. Make em all fella's. Have that career game where all the shots are falling. Then follow that up with brick city on Sunday..

Newton_14
03-19-2010, 11:19 PM
Maryland is burning Houston over and over again with that same play. Greivis curls to the lane catches and hits Milbourne on the baseline for the 8 footer. Houston doesn't seem to know how to defend that..

Cal by 11 at the break..

-bdbd
03-19-2010, 11:25 PM
Cal by 11 at the half. I think L'ville has the talent, but is inconsistent in putting it all together. How else to explain sweeping Syracuse, but also double-digit losses???

I'v been worrying about us having to play the Cardinals. And most pools I saw had picked them to beat Cal -- so obviously most people expected them to be the better team, and probably bigger threat to Duke. (In our office pool of 50+ there were even a few that had L'ville over Duke, but none having Cal beating us.) Of course part of that is certainly East Coast (and Big East) exposure/bias.

From the "glass is half full" school of thinking, Cal is going to have serious problems in the interior matching our size, and I expect LOTS of Duke rebounds. We've played team like this this season and done pretty well I think.

Go Duke!!

:cool:

Eternal Outlaw
03-19-2010, 11:31 PM
I'v been worrying about us having to play the Cardinals. And most pools I saw had picked them to beat Cal -- so obviously most people expected them to be the better team, and probably bigger threat to Duke. (In our office pool of 50+ there were even a few that had L'ville over Duke, but none having Cal beating us.) Of course part of that is certainly East Coast (and Big East) exposure/bias.

I don't that is true at all. I'm in OR and run a pool and same thing as you, couple L'Ville picks but no Cal over Duke. Even the biggest Pac 10 homers I work with don't think Cal could beat Duke.

GoingFor#5
03-20-2010, 12:25 AM

I saw that as well, but, c'mon, you can't call that at that time in the game!

94duke
03-20-2010, 12:32 AM
I saw that as well, but, c'mon, you can't call that at that time in the game!

A violation is a violation, whether it is the first minute or the last.
Same with fouls.
When refs decide to "not decide the game" by not blowing the whistle, they essentially DO decide the game.

devildeac
03-20-2010, 12:32 AM
There's an awful smell :D

Some say it's Cayuga's waters...

gw67
03-20-2010, 09:58 AM
I stayed up past my bed time to watch the Maryland game last night. In addition to enjoying the win, I had some thoughts:

Coleman is a chucker in the Penders offense (remember SirValiant Brown of GWU). He is easily the best offensive player that the Terps have faced this year and Vasquez did a good job of making him work for his points. At least two of his baskets were prayers.
Houston was the best team against Terps' press this year. They simply refused to turn it over.
The box score indicated that Houston had 8 assists. I don't recall more than a couple as they were playing one-on-one ball for most of the game. The Terps, on the other hand, played team basketball and looked for one another. Their assist total of 18 appeared low to me.
Jordan Williams (21 points and 17 rebounds) was not highly rated by the recruiting gurus (not even in top 100 of RSCI) probably because of a lack of flash but they didn't consider his competitiveness. If he works in the weight room this summer and adds 3-5 feet on his shot, he will be one of the top centers in the ACC next year.
Vasquez couldn't throw the ball in the ocean from outside but he still contributed 7 rebounds, 6 assists, a good mid-range game, a bunch of foul shots at the end of the game and a decent defensive game.

The game this Sunday will likely be the antithesis of this game. Izzo may have been an assistant to Heathcote when Williams was at Ohio State and it appears that they like and respect one another. He likes to play a half-court game

gw67

NSDukeFan
03-20-2010, 10:12 AM
I just don't understand. I thought the Big East was the best conference in the history of history. I thought Louisville had already won this game. And beaten Duke in the next round. WTF, man?!
I agree the Big East doesn't seem nearly as big and bad anymore with that 4-4 record with Louisville the only team that didn't play a double digit seed.

There is a simple rule of basketball- you cannot beat a team shooting 70%.
Unfortunately, I think we proved that against Georgetown.

I'm rooting very hard for a Louisville comeback here. Cal's going to be a problematic matchup. We can't really go small against them because I think Cal would have the better team on the court if Duke uses, say, a line up of Scheyer/Smith/Dawkins/Singler/Thomas, if for no other reason than the fact that Cal plays small all the time and we don't. Plus, Zoubek has become such an integral part of the team that I would think he has to stay on the court, even though Coach K would usually sit him against an opponent like Cal. It'll be our size vs their speed -- there's no getting around that -- and hopefully we grab enough boards, score enough inside and Cal misses enough shots for us to come out on top.
I agree that Cal presents match-up problems for us and that our small line-up may not be the answer. I disagree a bit that Coach K would usually sit Z against an opponent like Cal as I don't think Z has been sitting against anybody since the Georgetown game as he has just become too valuable and has moved his feet much better when his player is on the perimeter. I would expect Cal to want him out of the key as much as possible.

[LIST]
Coleman is a chucker in the Penders offense (remember SirValiant Brown of GWU). He is easily the best offensive player that the Terps have faced this year and Vasquez did a good job of making him work for his points. At least two of his baskets were prayers.
Houston was the best team against Terps' press this year. They simply refused to turn it over.
gw67

I agree with most of your analysis, but don't know if a chucker is necessarily the best offensive player the Terps faced. He may be the best one on one at creating his shot, but there are three guys on the Duke team that I would consider better overall offensive players. I assume one of Coleman's prayers would have to be considered the bank 3 he hit. That one was certainly answered.

I also thought Duke did pretty well against the press in Cameron, as far as handling Maryland's press.

One other point you made, that I deleted and am too lazy to add back in my post is about how well Jordan Williams is doing as a freshman not rated in the top 100. I couldn't agree more. That guy is a beast and has had a fantastic freshman year.

gw67
03-20-2010, 10:49 AM
NS,

I'll stand by my conclusion that Coleman is the best offensive player they have faced this year. The Duke "three" are all very good offensive players and in the case of Singler and Scheyer, better all around players. The Terps directed their defense at Coleman and he was still able to get his points. He reminds me of the youngster at Miami a couple of years back (can't remember his name) who was almost unstoppable one-on-one but Coleman is taller, stronger and as quick going to the basket. His shooting % isn't great because he, unlike at Duke and Maryland, doesn't play in a team-oriented offense where he is not the center of attention.

gw67

NSDukeFan
03-20-2010, 11:16 AM
NS,

I'll stand by my conclusion that Coleman is the best offensive player they have faced this year. The Duke "three" are all very good offensive players and in the case of Singler and Scheyer, better all around players. The Terps directed their defense at Coleman and he was still able to get his points. He reminds me of the youngster at Miami a couple of years back (can't remember his name) who was almost unstoppable one-on-one but Coleman is taller, stronger and as quick going to the basket. His shooting % isn't great because he, unlike at Duke and Maryland, doesn't play in a team-oriented offense where he is not the center of attention.

gw67

Jack McClinton? Coleman certainly can score, but I like Jon, Kyle and Nolan for passing, scoring, rebounding on the offensive end.

gw67
03-20-2010, 12:19 PM
No! McClinton was a good player and a terrific long range shooter. The player I was thinking of was Diaz who was a superb one-on-one player who chucked a bunch of crazy shots. I like our top three players but, IMO, neither Singler nor Scheyer has the one-on-one game to carry a team like Coleman. They are both good all around players who are good in a team-oriented offense. Smith has good offensive skills (he is not a particularly good passer, IMO) but he doesn't have the size or strength of Coleman.

I've watched most of Maryland's games this year and ti's just my opinion.

I note that NS apparently stands for Nova Scotia. The one time that I was in Nova Scotia (almost 50 years ago}, I was struck by the natural beauty. My wife and I are traveling to British Columbia and the upper Nothwest this summer and are looking forward to our visit.

gw67

GoingFor#5
03-20-2010, 01:44 PM
A violation is a violation, whether it is the first minute or the last.
Same with fouls.
When refs decide to "not decide the game" by not blowing the whistle, they essentially DO decide the game.

Definitely a fair point, but I think basketball is a lot like football where in football you could call holding on every play, and in basketball you could find some violation/foul every play. I like the refs to have a little discretion as long as it's even steven.