PDA

View Full Version : Guess Kobe would have gone to Carolina

Kewlswim
03-19-2010, 02:27 AM
Hi,

I was under the impression Kobe wanted to come to Duke, if he was going to attend college that is, I stand corrected.

http://sportsillustrated.cnn.com/multimedia/photo_gallery/1003/cbb.celebrity.picks.ncaa/content.12.html

Interesting that he would root for Coach K if he was thinking of going to Carolina? Why wouldn't he just come to play for Duke?

GO DUKE!

uh_no
03-19-2010, 02:35 AM
Hi,

I was under the impression Kobe wanted to come to Duke, if he was going to attend college that is, I stand corrected.

http://sportsillustrated.cnn.com/multimedia/photo_gallery/1003/cbb.celebrity.picks.ncaa/content.12.html

Interesting that he would root for Coach K if he was thinking of going to Carolina? Why wouldn't he just come to play for Duke?

GO DUKE!

i was also under the impression that he had intended to come to duke.....

DukeFanSince1990
03-19-2010, 05:07 AM
Not so sure that is accurate

http://www.goduke.com/ViewArticle.dbml?DB_OEM_ID=4200&ATCLID=1153901

Cisco
03-19-2010, 06:33 AM
he would have came to duke, thats what he always says.

Welcome2DaSlopes
03-19-2010, 06:53 AM
That's the first time i've heard that, I've think he already signed with Duke, but decleared for the draft anyway.

dukelifer
03-19-2010, 07:32 AM
Hi,

GO DUKE!

Now K can't even get the recruits that wouldn't have even gone to college. Clearly there must be a problem with the recruiting at Duke. :)

jdj4duke
03-19-2010, 08:24 AM
Hi,

GO DUKE!

Don't you think that this might be Kobe having a bit of fun with K, especially given the years of complete respect that Kobe has shown towards him? I don't recall ever seeing any info that Kobe considered the Heels.
My bet is that Kobe is having a bit of a tweak with his Olympic team coach, and that there is nothing more (but IC fodder) to his statement than that.

moonpie23
03-19-2010, 08:35 AM
totally agree with that.....kobe knows anything he even mentions under his breath will get printed....

i'm sure k got a kick out of that.....he might get kobe back for that at some practices.... ;)

kong123
03-19-2010, 10:14 AM
Kobe has total respect for K much in the same way you claimed that HB had total respect for him? The only reason the guys on the IC even care about this quote is because it is the direct opposite of what you have claimed for many years. Why is it so important to you guys where Kobe would have gone? I mean, perhaps if Kobe claimed that he would have "signed" with UNC, then perhaps that would have been enough for us to hang a banner in the Smith Center in his honor. :D

-bdbd
03-19-2010, 10:31 AM
No doubt at all that it is intended tongue-in-cheek to tease K. I was actually following recruiting at that time (back then it wasn't the mega-industry that it is today). He was from PA, I think near Philadelphia (isn't that where his dad, Jellybean Bryant, retired?). And he never got his list down below a half-dozen or so. He was highly regarded, but certainly not sure-fire-NBA-superstar status per today. But Duke was one of the persistent top few that he was listing. At a minimum we were a very serious contender. I'm not sure at all, but I don't recall NC@CH being on his list -- but that could be a (understandable) gap in my memory... ;)

Scorp4me
03-19-2010, 10:37 AM
He's always said before that he would have gone to Duke. Can't imagine him saying he'd go to Carolina now. Course right now there are 65 teams he could choose that would get him more television coverage than Carolina.

Class of '94
03-19-2010, 10:47 AM
Not to get too much more caught up into this because in the end, it really doesn't matter because he didn't go to college; so who cares. But saying that, I distinctly recalled a conversation Kobe had with Rip Hamiliton while they were playing against each other in a game that was mentioned either during as televised NBA game or in a local paper a few years ago in which Kobe was playfully trash talking Rip; and he told Rip that UCONN would not have won the '99 title if he had gone to Duke instead of going directly into the NBA. So there you go...... :)

studdlee10
03-19-2010, 10:51 AM
He is ribbing Coach K. He's been quoted many, many times as saying he would have gone to Duke. If you read the quote, it sounds like he is teasing K when he tells him he would have gone to Carolina. Kobe was the reason why the Lakers considered K. No way Kobe goes anywhere but Duke if he goes to college.

FYI, I met Kobe a couple of times when I was working at Nike. He was sporting Duke gear the 2nd time I met him.

oldnavy
03-19-2010, 10:52 AM
Kobe has total respect for K much in the same way you claimed that HB had total respect for him? The only reason the guys on the IC even care about this quote is because it is the direct opposite of what you have claimed for many years. Why is it so important to you guys where Kobe would have gone? I mean, perhaps if Kobe claimed that he would have "signed" with UNC, then perhaps that would have been enough for us to hang a banner in the Smith Center in his honor. :D

Dang! I wish I would have said that... pretty funny!!

BlueintheFace
03-19-2010, 10:53 AM
The UNC quote was made in jest.

kong123
03-19-2010, 10:53 AM
well, Michael Jordon said that if he would have wanted to stay and play his senior year in college, he would have done it at UNC. So take that you DBR fans!!!! :D

Nobody cares. You cannot go back and put an * on that season.

Jarhead
03-19-2010, 10:55 AM
The UNC quote was made in jest.

That's what I thought. It comes across as a little bit of trash talking at Coach K.

CameronBlue
03-19-2010, 11:52 AM
It's Carolina's NIT tradition, very under-rated. Kobe knows best.

Mudge
03-21-2010, 12:31 PM
Now K can't even get the recruits that wouldn't have even gone to college. Clearly there must be a problem with the recruiting at Duke. :)

If Coach K would have convinced Kobe to come to Duke, that team would have been even more athletic than people didn't think they were then...