PDA

View Full Version : Tyler Adams - Next Duke Big Man?

chrisheery
03-18-2010, 08:17 PM
http://bluedevilnation.net/2010/03/breaking-news-duke-offers-2011-prospect-tyler-adams/

I love our recruiting these days.

GODUKEGO
03-18-2010, 08:30 PM
Hope he comes, we can use his size!!!

http://insider.espn.go.com/ncb/recruiting/tracker/player?recruitId=67019&season=2011&action=login&appRedirect=http%3a%2f%2finsider.espn.go.com%2fncb %2frecruiting%2ftracker%2fplayer%3frecruitId%3d670 19%26season%3d2011

SCMatt33
03-18-2010, 08:48 PM
For the record, right now he is listed as 3-star and the #14 center by Scout, 4-star, the #10 C, and #81 overall by Rivals, and is graded a 92, listed as the #12 C, and not in the Super 60 according to ESPN.

His other notable offers include Florida and Memphis as well as an ACC offer from Clemson. ESPN says he is considering Kentucky, but there is no offer and the other sites don't list Kentucky.

Does anybody know much about him. Upside? Weaknesses? Is he about to shoot up the rankings after the summer? It seems like he might be a little higher with some of the schools looking at him.

Welcome2DaSlopes
03-18-2010, 08:55 PM
Great to see we are recruiting another big man besides marshall, but can we please change the thread title, it's a little misleading.

chrisheery
03-18-2010, 09:05 PM
With that list, I think we can all assume that he should be and will be ranked much higher soon. I trust our coaches to evaluate talent. This marks a big change. Not just recruiting highly ranked guys but guys that fit what we want and we see something in.

Smells like Nate James is involved.

chrisheery
03-18-2010, 09:06 PM
Great to see we are recruiting another big man besides marshall, but can we please change the thread title, it's a little misleading.

How? Its a question. Don't care, just asking.

watzone
03-18-2010, 10:02 PM
This kid is a load inside but needs a go to move on offense. Think Boozer-Brand like body.

papa whiskey
03-18-2010, 10:49 PM
Boozer-Brand like body but a 3 star player. You don't have to have as many scholarship players as the NCAA allows just cuz.

Dukeface88
03-18-2010, 11:07 PM
This makes me think that the coaches are pesimistic on either Quincy Miller or Marshall Plumlee. We were going to be pretty tight on schollies already.

Eternal Outlaw
03-18-2010, 11:08 PM
Boozer-Brand like body but a 3 star player. You don't have to have as many scholarship players as the NCAA allows just cuz.

When did scouting become an exact science? Luke Harangody was rated 3 stars by rivals.

DukeSean
03-18-2010, 11:12 PM
This makes me think that the coaches are pesimistic on either Quincy Miller or Marshall Plumlee. We were going to be pretty tight on schollies already.

Why? No reason to make any unnecessary assumptions and give yourself more gray hairs...

Starter
03-18-2010, 11:13 PM
When did scouting become an exact science? Luke Harangody was rated 3 stars by rivals.

I think Rivals had that one pretty much right.

DukeSean
03-18-2010, 11:15 PM

zing!

Eternal Outlaw
03-18-2010, 11:18 PM

Guy has a nice resume including POY of a tough conference and second team AA (twice). Pretty good for just a 3 star.

Bluedog
03-18-2010, 11:26 PM

But he was 4-star by Scout. Don't you know to never trust rivals for basketball rankings? ;)

juise
03-18-2010, 11:47 PM

Yeah, Duke wouldn't have any need for 22 points and 9 boards per game. Perimeter scoring has been 100% reliable all year. First team all-conference in the nation's most competitive conference isn't impressive... much less doing it three times. No sweat. :rolleyes:

Leck
03-19-2010, 12:59 AM
obviously he's got the physical attributes, but is there any info on adams' skills? do we have a scouting report?

also, you look at mp3, Q, and adams and they all look like 3 different types of players even though they both play the 4/5. although Q will ultimately be a combo 3/4. anyways, this is the "broad recruiting net" in action...i like it.

Dukeface88
03-19-2010, 01:34 AM
Why? No reason to make any unnecessary assumptions and give yourself more gray hairs...

I'm not worried, just speculating. To be frank, our chances of picking up all of our targets for any given year are always pretty low. There's no guarentee we'll even get this kid for that matter. On the flip side, we don't need to pick up all our top recruits to have an excellent team. It isn't like it's the end of the world if we miss on one of our big men, espescially since we're likely to have 4 in the for 2011-2012 anyway (and if early entries mean that we don't, well that solves the scholarship problem; kind of a win-win there).

Starter
03-19-2010, 02:02 AM
Yeah, Duke wouldn't have any need for 22 points and 9 boards per game. Perimeter scoring has been 100% reliable all year. First team all-conference in the nation's most competitive conference isn't impressive... much less doing it three times. No sweat. :rolleyes:

I live in Big East country, so I've seen a whole lot of Harangody (he's hard to miss). Those are the most empty statistics you'll ever find. He sucks the air out of the entire team, not to mention the ball. It's amazing how much better they played this season when he wasn't there and Brey was able to better control the tempo without being obligated to watch Harangody trudge down the court and jack up whatever shot he can find. All-Conference voting is pretty much statistic-based, and is thus completely subjective. They've lost 26 games the past two years. And no, I don't think Duke would have any need for him. Personally, I think you should roll those eyes back in. :cool:

juise
03-19-2010, 02:14 AM
I live in Big East country, so I've seen a whole lot of Harangody (he's hard to miss). Those are the most empty statistics you'll ever find. He sucks the air out of the entire team, not to mention the ball. It's amazing how much better they played this season when he wasn't there and Brey was able to better control the tempo without being obligated to watch Harangody trudge down the court and jack up whatever shot he can find. All-Conference voting is pretty much statistic-based, and is thus completely subjective. They've lost 26 games the past two years. And no, I don't think Duke would have any need for him. Personally, I think you should roll those eyes back in. :cool:

I don't disagree that Notre Dame was better without him. That's definitely a bad sign, but I think it reflects more on Brey than it does on Harongody. I'm not suggesting that he would put up the same numbers at Duke, but I think that having a player of his offensive caliber in the post would be a huge advantage for Duke. We haven't had someone who was a legit back-to-the-basket scoring threat since Boozer. I have no doubt that K would prevent him from becoming a black hole.

But reasonable minds can differ on those points, I suppose. Your original comment sounded a lot like being down on him for playing poorly today. I retract my rolleyes... but I still think you're wrong. ;)

DeBlueDevil
03-19-2010, 10:36 AM
We haven't had someone who was a legit back-to-the-basket scoring threat since Boozer.

Sheldon Williams was one of the best centers we've had and he came after Boozer.....

Also, I agree I think Goady is the most overrated player in the country. Nothing against the kid but just my opinion. I take Zoubs all day. Atleast he makes us better. I've even heard analysts say that Goady may not even get drafted. Most likely will play overseas.

sagegrouse
03-19-2010, 10:46 AM
I don't disagree that Notre Dame was better without him. That's definitely a bad sign, but I think it reflects more on Brey than it does on Harongody. I'm not suggesting that he would put up the same numbers at Duke, but I think that having a player of his offensive caliber in the post would be a huge advantage for Duke. We haven't had someone who was a legit back-to-the-basket scoring threat since Boozer. I have no doubt that K would prevent him from becoming a black hole.

But reasonable minds can differ on those points, I suppose. Your original comment sounded a lot like being down on him for playing poorly today. I retract my rolleyes... but I still think you're wrong. ;)

Harangody is a heckuva college forward on offense. He has very quick feet, jumps quickly, can shoot, is strong as an ox, and can't be moved off the blocks. He would add a lot to this Duke team, except, except....

He wouldn't get off the Duke bench because he refuses to play any defense.

sagegrouse

soccerstud2210
03-19-2010, 10:48 AM
Harangody is a heckuva college forward on offense. He has very quick feet, jumps quickly, can shoot, is strong as an ox, and can't be moved off the blocks. He would add a lot to this Duke team, except, except....

He wouldn't get off the Duke bench because he refuses to play any defense.

sagegrouse

...aaaaaaand.... he's a black hole

3rd Dukie
03-19-2010, 11:00 AM

I could not agree more.
Just watching the Irish with him on the sidelines is pretty strong evidence.
I think he is a slug, regardless of what the stats say.
BTW, I have no interest in getting into a pissing contest over this. It's just my .02.

gw67
03-19-2010, 11:01 AM
Adams sounds interesting. With all the perimeter talent Coach K is rounding up and the Plumlees looking solid, it may be difficult to recruit a highly rated center so a youngster like Adams may be a good get.

I'll throw my two cents into the Harangody discussion. By RSCI (http://www.rscihoops.com/), he was rated #83 coming out of high school. IMO, his 4-year career has easily exceeded that low rating. His career is better than several rated above him who stayed in school for four years. The most overrated tag could be used for several other players including Davis of UNC, Roe of Michigan State and a host of players who were rated highly by recruiting services but haven't shown much in college.

I see Harangody as a good college player who provided scoring and rebounding for a team that was desparately in need of help.

gw67

airowe
03-19-2010, 11:06 AM
Tyler Adams is the back to the basket banger we'll need on that '11-'12 team, especially if Mason and Kyrie are still around. We won't need a whole lot of ofensive production from the 5 spot so Tyler should be able provide 5-10 quality minutes down low to add some toughness on the boards and defense. He hasn't really even hit the weight room yet and you can be sure Nate's in his ear about that.

Unless one of his older brothers goes League before he declares, this probably signals a backing off of Marshall Plumlee.

6th Man
03-19-2010, 12:49 PM
Unless one of his older brothers goes League before he declares, this probably signals a backing off of Marshall Plumlee.

I may be looking at the wrong stats, but it appears Marshall averaged less than 10 points a game this season. I realize his team is comprised of some other college bound players, but as a 7 footer in high school, you would expect to see better stats for a high caliber player. Be interesting to see what happens in the big man search.

-bdbd
03-19-2010, 01:11 PM
Tyler Adams is the back to the basket banger we'll need on that '11-'12 team, especially if Mason and Kyrie are still around. We won't need a whole lot of ofensive production from the 5 spot so Tyler should be able provide 5-10 quality minutes down low to add some toughness on the boards and defense. He hasn't really even hit the weight room yet and you can be sure Nate's in his ear about that.

I was thinking the same thing, or at least a lack of confidence that we are sure to get him. I thought I saw a top-5 list from him recently that didn't show Duke. We really need some size as much as anything in the coming years, so if not Marshall then Adams seems like a good fit too. I'd be interested to hear about his attitude -- would really love someone with a bit of a nasty streak for the interior (which we haven't had for a while).

Starter
03-19-2010, 01:13 PM

Haha, absolutely fair, I'm often wrong. Several have made good points about Harangody as well, most notably gw67.

With Adams, it's just surprising because we're used to clicking the Scout/Rivals link for guys we hear he offers and seeing five-star, or at least four-star recruits. That stuff is all subjective anyway, of course, and you have to have at least a few role players. It'd be easier to say that I trusted K completely on this if he hadn't whiffed on quite a few big men in the recent past. Thompson, Boateng, McRoberts (pretty much a bust, based on his ranking and reputation), and Randolph (though I loved Shavlik) come to mind. Even Zoubek, until he showed up this year healthy and in great shape, wasn't really a fit for Duke's system, which played much faster than he did. Thank God he's finally figured out Duke, and vice versa, at just the right time. All of those were far more touted than this kid, so the expectations mercifully won't be as high.

Of course, it's safe at this point to say K's hit on the Plumlees, and I actually think Nate James' growing influence may help us target some tougher players. I'll buy into that. And I've never seen him play, but this kid's certainly a big dude. So I'll give it the benefit of the doubt for now, but it certainly seems as if he should sign before the ink's dry.

monkey
03-19-2010, 02:10 PM
It'd be easier to say that I trusted K completely on this if he hadn't whiffed on quite a few big men in the recent past. Thompson, Boateng, McRoberts (pretty much a bust, based on his ranking and reputation), and Randolph (though I loved Shavlik) come to mind.

Not to take this off-topic, but I don't think it's fair to label McRoberts a bust. He was a good player while he was here - did he develop into a superstar his sophomore year that we needed him to be? Nope. Paulus didn't really become all-everything either, with or without McRoberts. But he was a nice player, passed well. Apparently a bit too much of an opinion of himself, coming out earlier than he probably should have. But I think if he had stayed he could have progressed into a really good big man given his skills.

Could throw Chris Burgess into the whiff category maybe though. Although I think he could have developed if he hadn't transferred also. Would have been interesting to see him on that 99-00 team in the mix with Battier, Carawell and James.

Starter
03-19-2010, 02:21 PM
Burge (who I adored personally, by the way -- great guy) and McRoberts, I think you can qualify as being bust picks relative to their ranking, as both were the No. 1 player in the country coming out of high school, IIRC. McRoberts never came close to matching his level of ability and ranking, nor did he offer much in the way of team chemistry if what we've heard is true. If I'm going to give a staff credit for finding diamonds in the rough, I have to give demerits for looking at a guy clearly overranked and thinking he's what the team needs. I do agree on Burge -- I would have loved to see him on that 99-00 team and was quite disappointed when he transferred. But he wasn't playing and he wasn't happy.

With Paulus, by the way, I watched him play in high school and immediately became concerned, as he didn't impress me in the least. I sat there hoping I was wrong. I have nothing but wonderful things to say about him based on meeting him several times and I think he's a great representative of the Duke community, I just think he was miscast as a top-flight point guard from the start.

Dukeknights
03-19-2010, 03:32 PM
Tyler Adams is being recruited by Nate James, plus Nate James found him. Obviously, Nate is putting in some REAL HARD WORK. Nate has gotten Carrick Felix and Gbinijie. I wonder if Barnes would be a Blue Devil if Nate was the one recruiting him and not Wojo? Some food for though. Nate is big-time on the recruiting trail, and he identifies talent. If Nate wasn't here, we wouldn't know about Carrick Felix, we would have never contacted Gbinijie and we wouldn't know about Tyler Adams either. Nate James is doing a MAGNIFICENT job. Now, it is yet to be soon if these recruits pan out. But if they do, Nate might need a raise if we want to keep him around...

jimsumner
03-19-2010, 04:22 PM
As a freshman, Josh McRoberts was the third-leading scorer and second-leading rebounder for a team that won the ACC regular-season and ACC Tournament and entered the NCAA Tournament ranked number one in the country.

As a sophomore, he was the best player on the youngest Duke team in generations, a second-team All-ACC performer, the ACC's second-leading rebounder and shot-blocker, Duke's second-leading scorer and a made the ACC first-team All-Defensive team.

The term "bust" is elusive and subjective and I respect other's right to label McRoberts a bust. And, I understand that the young man had some personality characteristics that turned off some folks.

That said, I do not think his career at Duke is even in the same area code as "bust." Not even close. Burgess? No arguments from me. Thompson? ditto. But not McRoberts, not Randolph.

MChambers
03-19-2010, 04:26 PM
Tyler Adams is being recruited by Nate James, plus Nate James found him. Obviously, Nate is putting in some REAL HARD WORK. Nate has gotten Carrick Felix and Gbinijie. I wonder if Barnes would be a Blue Devil if Nate was the one recruiting him and not Wojo? Some food for though. Nate is big-time on the recruiting trail, and he identifies talent. If Nate wasn't here, we wouldn't know about Carrick Felix, we would have never contacted Gbinijie and we wouldn't know about Tyler Adams either. Nate James is doing a MAGNIFICENT job. Now, it is yet to be soon if these recruits pan out. But if they do, Nate might need a raise if we want to keep him around...

How do you know Nate found him? I think we know that Nate found Felix, but Adams?

Dukeknights
03-19-2010, 04:28 PM
How do you know Nate found him? I think we know that Nate found Felix, but Adams?

Nate found Carrick Felix, Aziz Ndjaiye, Michael Haynes, Michael Gbinijie and now Tyler Adams.

MChambers
03-19-2010, 04:34 PM
Nate found Carrick Felix, Aziz Ndjaiye, Michael Haynes, Michael Gbinijie and now Tyler Adams.

How do you know? Have you read this somewhere?

Dukeknights
03-19-2010, 04:35 PM
it is on both Rivals and Scout

soccerstud2210
03-19-2010, 04:36 PM

you are making some pretty bold statements. are you just spouting off or do you know for fact that nate is recruiting all these players and that barnes would have signed had nate been recruiting him?

jimsumner
03-19-2010, 04:38 PM
Nate found Michael Gbinijie? A top-20 kid playing in an adjacent state? It's not like he was a secret.

Look, I like Nate as much as the next guy, maybe more. But it seems like we're getting a bit carried away, here.

Welcome2DaSlopes
03-19-2010, 04:40 PM
We need to see what Nate's recruits do on the court before we start saying he's a great recruiter. I think it's great we are getting these kids, but if they turn out to be bust then how good is he really at evaulating these kids.

Welcome2DaSlopes
03-19-2010, 04:42 PM
Nate found Michael Gbinijie? A top-20 kid playing in an adjacent state? It's not like he was a secret.

Look, I like Nate as much as the next guy, maybe more. But it seems like we're getting a bit carried away, here.

Maybe but it's just one poster putting these statments out there, although i am eager to see who's Nate's next target.

I love Nate mainly for the fact that i think he can connect with the "athletic" "inner city" kids better then Collins and Wojo. But like i said i think i'm not sure, just my opinion based on see him and although i hate this word his "swagger"

airowe
03-19-2010, 05:14 PM
Maybe but it's just one poster putting these statments out there, although i am eager to see who's Nate's next target.

I love Nate mainly for the fact that i think he can connect with the "athletic" "inner city" kids better then Collins and Wojo. But like i said i think i'm not sure, just my opinion based on see him and although i hate this word his "swagger"

Carrick Felix wears skinny jeans and Chuck Taylors. Tyler Adams is a country boy from Mississippi. Michael Gbinije goes to Benedictine High School in Richmond, Va, one of the largest Christian Schools in the area. Not sure what is "inner city" about these kids that you think Nate can relate to better than Collins or Wojo.

Are they that much more "athletic" or do they have that much more "swagger" than Austin Rivers, Kyrie Irving, Tyler Thornton, or Josh Hairston whom Coach Collins and Wojo recruited and signed?

airowe
03-19-2010, 05:18 PM
Carrick Felix wears skinny jeans and Chuck Taylors. Tyler Adams is a country boy from Mississippi. Michael Gbinije goes to Benedictine High School in Richmond, Va, one of the largest Christian Schools in the area. Not sure what is "inner city" about these kids that you think Nate can relate to better than Collins or Wojo.

Are they that much more "athletic" or do they have that much more "swagger" than Austin Rivers, Kyrie Irving, Tyler Thornton, or Josh Hairston whom Coach Collins and Wojo recruited and signed?

I just realized I may have spoken a little too soon on Austin. He hasn't signed yet ;)

Dukeknights
03-19-2010, 05:33 PM

well, Nate started recruiting him. Nate is 2 for 2 on his scholarship offers.

Carrick Felix, Gbinijie.

jimsumner
03-19-2010, 05:43 PM
You do realize that Nate James doesn't make scholarship offers?

Nate has been very busy and energetic on the recruiting trail and clearly Krzyzewski is valuing his evaluations.

As he does with his other assistant coaches. That's one of the reasons he hires them.

All three are assets to the program.

sagegrouse
03-19-2010, 05:46 PM

Sensitivity training?

sagegrouse

superdave
03-19-2010, 05:51 PM
It's either this thread or the beer today, but I'm laughing. People have so many opinions, unfounded or ridiculous, that they form somehow. I think it's the thread making me laugh. We need to get Wojo a helmet-cam so we can sit in on his recruiting trips. Ha!

-bdbd
03-19-2010, 07:13 PM
It's either this thread or the beer today, but I'm laughing. People have so many opinions, unfounded or ridiculous, that they form somehow. I think it's the thread making me laugh. We need to get Wojo a helmet-cam so we can sit in on his recruiting trips. Ha!

LOL!!!! Well played superdave! :D

'think that might be a subscription service?

Starter
03-19-2010, 10:49 PM
That said, I do not think his career at Duke is even in the same area code as "bust." Not even close. Burgess? No arguments from me. Thompson? ditto. But not McRoberts, not Randolph.

That's fair Jim, I know you know your stuff. Our definitions are probably just different.

For me, I think neither McRoberts nor Randolph came anywhere close to what getting a No. 1-type player should consist of. (Sidebar: I've always been a Shavlik apologist. Though Shav's ranking dropped even before he came, he was still very highly touted -- I went to one of his high school games at a sold-out NC State) I'm not saying they were total busts as players, but I do think they were busted recruits considering the pre-Duke billing they received and the actual results we got from them. I'd even put McRoberts in that category; he was never a game-changer, not even on that loaded team his freshman year. And I can only look at Shav's fleeting greatness against UConn in the Final Four in '04 before fouls removed him from the equation and think what might have been.

More importantly: 1 down, 5 to go. :)

jimsumner
03-19-2010, 11:06 PM
Starter,

It seems to me that you are describing a disappointment not a bust.

And, IMO, McRoberts was very much a difference maker in 2007. I could cite chapter and verse but Duke doesn't win anywhere near 22 games that season without McRoberts.

Duke79UNLV77
03-19-2010, 11:10 PM
Plus, McRoberts wasn't your typical #1 recruit. First, it was a remarkably weak class. Also, he was rated more in the 10-20 range when Duke signed him and rose to #1 while playing AAU ball with Oden and Conley. So, he typically had the other team's 2nd best big on him and was playing with a great pg. No wonder he looked great.

His numbers as a sophomore were very solid. I believe he tied Hansblabla for the ACC rebounding lead, scored in the low teens, blocked some shots, and had some assists. Not that I was a huge fan, but he certainly wasn't a bust.

Newton_14
03-19-2010, 11:12 PM
McBob was anything but a bust in college. He had a really good freshman year and as almost the entire planet seems to have forgotten he had a back issue between his freshman and sophomore years, yet still managed to have a really good 2nd year on a young team that lacked talent and upperclassmen leadership. Had he stuck around for two more years and played with Singler in the post and the weapons we had on the wings, Duke would have been a much stronger team both years.

His attitude was bad and I think a lot of that was frustration with the bad karma losing brings, but the guy had a ton of skills and was way better than most people give him credit for.

As for Shavlik, injuries derailed his career. The injuries led to lost confidence and I think his father did him no favors either which also hurt him mentally. Had he stayed injury free from the get go, I think he too would have had a career similar to what was expected coming in.

Putting those two guys into a generalized list with Boateng, Thompson, and Burgess is not fair to either guy.

FerryFor50
03-20-2010, 12:38 AM
McRoberts would have been a great player on the right team. He was a great passer and didn't try to force things to score. He was never really a first scoring option in my eyes and didn't seem comfortable having to be one. I remember many times he passed up shots to pass to open teammates. Problem is, those open teammates often didn't knock the shots down and the frustration showed in McRoberts' body language.

Had McRoberts played with, say, this year's team, he would have been a force. Think MPII with better court vision and more polish.

Starter
03-20-2010, 06:52 AM
Putting those two guys into a generalized list with Boateng, Thompson, and Burgess is not fair to either guy.

I just think they're all recruiting misses. What can I say? McRoberts was a No. 1 national recruit who never came close to living up to that. I thought at the time he was pretty overrated his freshman year -- I know, I know, he "handled the ball so well for a big man." We desperately needed the boost of a stud freshman to take some of the load off Redick and Shelden on a potential title team, and he scored 8 ppg in 24 mpg. And during that solid sophomore year, I recall him either passing on or flat-out missing big shot after big shot when he had the opportunity to step up on a team that craved someone to do that. With his size, and his natural talent, he could have been so much more. Of course, he was a decent shot blocker.

And you know, we all hate Hansbrough, but he was in that weak class, and we probably wouldn't hate him so much if we had him on Duke instead of McRoberts.

With Shavlik, I completely agree with all of you, I would have loved to see what he could have done without all the injuries. But we didn't. I'm not sure if he had the temperament to succeed regardless.

Jim Sumner opts to call them disappointments. I can completely go with that terminology. And I'd say a rose by any other name...

BD80
03-20-2010, 03:48 PM
If I may interrupt the digression ...

I was under the impression that Duke did not offer a scholarship until the player met with Coach K in person.

Has Tyler been on campus?

SupaDave
03-20-2010, 04:30 PM
Plus, McRoberts wasn't your typical #1 recruit. First, it was a remarkably weak class. Also, he was rated more in the 10-20 range when Duke signed him and rose to #1 while playing AAU ball with Oden and Conley. So, he typically had the other team's 2nd best big on him and was playing with a great pg. No wonder he looked great.

His numbers as a sophomore were very solid. I believe he tied Hansblabla for the ACC rebounding lead, scored in the low teens, blocked some shots, and had some assists. Not that I was a huge fan, but he certainly wasn't a bust.

Go back and look at that top 20 again.
http://rivals.yahoo.com/footballrecruiting/football/recruiting/rankings/rank-rivals150/2005

Lots of pros there...

CDu
03-20-2010, 05:07 PM
McBob was anything but a bust in college. He had a really good freshman year and as almost the entire planet seems to have forgotten he had a back issue between his freshman and sophomore years, yet still managed to have a really good 2nd year on a young team that lacked talent and upperclassmen leadership. Had he stuck around for two more years and played with Singler in the post and the weapons we had on the wings, Duke would have been a much stronger team both years.

His attitude was bad and I think a lot of that was frustration with the bad karma losing brings, but the guy had a ton of skills and was way better than most people give him credit for.

As for Shavlik, injuries derailed his career. The injuries led to lost confidence and I think his father did him no favors either which also hurt him mentally. Had he stayed injury free from the get go, I think he too would have had a career similar to what was expected coming in.

I completely agree. I think McRoberts just gets scapegoated because he wasn't lovable, he left early, and the team struggled in the tourney in his sophomore year (and the year after, when we could have really used him). The contrast between him and Paulus is telling. Paulus was also a top recruit (the #1 PG recruit and #1 overall recruit on Scout) who never lived up to superstar billing (never reached ACC 2nd-team). But he stayed four years, was a floor-burn type of guy, and because of that he has a huge following here (along with a group who think he was terrible).

The guy was a solid contributor as a freshman on a team with two All-Americans who had their jerseys retired. As a sophomore, he was a 2nd-team All-ACC and averaged 13, 8, and 2.5. If you make 2nd-team All-ACC and put up those kind of numbers as a sophomore, you are not a bust.

The biggest problem he had (besides not being likable) was that he wasn't a go-to scorer, and as a sophomore he played on a Duke team that desperately needed a go-to scorer. Had he stayed and played with Singler as a junior, we'd have had an awesome lineup and I think people would speak very highly of McRoberts.

chrisheery
03-20-2010, 05:42 PM
Any chance this discussion could be taken to a different thread?

This is supposed to be about Tyler Adams.

BD80
03-20-2010, 06:08 PM
Any chance this discussion could be taken to a different thread?

This is supposed to be about Tyler Adams.

It has been in a different thread. Many different threads. Over many different months. It probably has its own reference number (or it should).

Does anyone know when Coach K met with Tyler?

ACCBBallFan
03-21-2010, 12:28 PM
Starter,

It seems to me that you are describing a disappointment not a bust.

And, IMO, McRoberts was very much a difference maker in 2007. I could cite chapter and verse but Duke doesn't win anywhere near 22 games that season without McRoberts.

To carry Jim's thought a step farther, think how much better the Duke team would have been the following year had Josh or Shav stayed one more year. Would have been interesting to see Singler and McRoberts on floor at same time, or to have Shav on that senior team with JJ and Shelden versus Melchionni.

Especially in McRoberts case, people wanted him to be the post player he was not, rather than the all around passer, stat stuffer he was and that coach K told him to be.

Welcome2DaSlopes
03-21-2010, 12:38 PM
Any update on Tyler Adams

roywhite
03-21-2010, 02:30 PM
Any update on Tyler Adams

Expected to attend class tomorrow at his high school.

Not an insider, but not expecting an imminent decision regarding his choice of colleges.

dukejim1
03-21-2010, 03:27 PM
Will Billy Donovan be in his parking lot to wave to him?

MChambers
03-21-2010, 04:26 PM
Turns out Adams has a free first period, which Donovan doesn't realize, so he'll be cooling his heels.

Dukeknights
03-22-2010, 10:11 PM
Tyler Adams ftw.

Kfanarmy
03-22-2010, 10:33 PM
While Josh had serious potential in his final season, he seemed to be a significant deterrent to team cohesion and development. There were a lot of signs that he wasn't happy beginning in the middle of the season, a critical time when teams are really starting to build those necessary aspects of TEAM that can carry to tournament time. So for his individual stats, skills and talents one can argue he wasn't a bust, but if you look at it strictly from a team perspective I would argue he was. When one of your star players openly displays frustration with their lot in life, trouble ensues.

Hopefully Tyler Adams won't have any of those problems/challenges.

gofurman
03-23-2010, 12:40 AM
Aziz Ndjaiye, Michael Haynes, and now Tyler Adams - are we after all 3 of these?

what year are they?

Welcome2DaSlopes
03-23-2010, 07:07 AM
Aziz Ndjaiye, Michael Haynes, and now Tyler Adams - are we after all 3 of these?

what year are they?

Aziz is 2010, Hayes i'm not sure, Tyler Adams is 2011

DukieInBrasil
03-23-2010, 07:23 AM
Since I'm totally in the know and talk with Coach K like totally every day (j/k), I think Ndiaye is off the radar due to a) academically having only 2 years of eligibility left and K says JUCO transfers would need 3 to get a degree at Duke and b) his knee injury is still not fully healed and the staff hasn't/won't be able to evaluate the fully-healthy Ndiaye until after signing period is over. Since I am not totally in the know, perhaps his knee injury gave him a red-shirt year and still has 3 years of eligibility left.

riverside6
03-23-2010, 08:06 AM
haven't read this full thread, so I apologize if its not new, but Dave Telep just posted this link saying Duke leads for Adams (http://scouthoops.scout.com/2/956250.html).

This a subscription article, but the teaser says as much.

JohnGalt
03-23-2010, 10:28 AM
haven't read this full thread, so I apologize if its not new, but Dave Telep just posted this link saying Duke leads for Adams (http://scouthoops.scout.com/2/956250.html).

This a subscription article, but the teaser says as much.

“At a program like Duke, many guys don’t get the opportunity or a chance to play for Coach K. It’s basically a no-brainer.”
-Tyler Adams

I won't be presumptuous, but...

BD80
03-23-2010, 01:11 PM
“At a program like Duke, many guys don’t get the opportunity or a chance to play for Coach K. It’s basically a no-brainer.”
-Tyler Adams

I thought no-brainers ended up at Kentucky or Maryland :eek:

cbnaylor
03-23-2010, 01:22 PM
Aziz is 2010, Hayes i'm not sure, Tyler Adams is 2011

Hayes is 2010.

Starter
03-23-2010, 01:34 PM
Going to attempt to add to this thread without bringing up Josh McRoberts. ;)

This was a tweet from Quincy Miller this morning:

"Yooo 2011 Tyler Adams big man is a beast!"

As such, I'm sold.

flyingdutchdevil
03-23-2010, 01:40 PM
What could happen:

PG: Austin Rivers
SG: Michael Gbiniji (how close am I to spelling that right?)
SF: Quincy Miller
PF: Marshall Plumlee
C: Tyler Adams
Sixth man: Quinn Cook

Are there enough scholies? I don't think so, but a man can dream, right!

And for the record, before a wise @£$ responds, I am still focused on this year.

jaygdevil11
03-23-2010, 01:46 PM
I would think with us going after Adams that Plum x 3 is out of the question.

Kedsy
03-23-2010, 01:54 PM
What could happen:

PG: Austin Rivers
SG: Michael Gbiniji (how close am I to spelling that right?)
SF: Quincy Miller
PF: Marshall Plumlee
C: Tyler Adams
Sixth man: Quinn Cook

Are there enough scholies? I don't think so, but a man can dream, right!

And for the record, before a wise @£$ responds, I am still focused on this year.

It's Gbinije, so pretty close.

If Kyrie stays two years and Mason stays three (and nobody else transfers or pulls a Shav), then if I'm counting correctly we will have four scholarships available in 2011, one of which goes to Gbinije. So, the only way your dream comes true is if (a) they all want to come to Duke; and (b) we don't take on Haynes or any other additional 2010 recruit; and (c) we lose two guys early (which sort of ruins the dream right there, doesn't it?).

flyingdutchdevil
03-23-2010, 02:01 PM

If Kyrie stays two years and Mason stays three (and nobody else transfers or pulls a Shav), then if I'm counting correctly we will have four scholarships available in 2011, one of which goes to Gbinije. So, the only way your dream comes true is if (a) they all want to come to Duke; and (b) we don't take on Haynes or any other additional 2010 recruit; and (c) we lose two guys early (which sort of ruins the dream right there, doesn't it?).

Sigh...so close...

How likely is it that Marshall comes to Duke sans scholy (his mother is a lawyer, after all) for a year and Nolan becomes a lottery pick and pays for Cook's tuition for a year (as Nolan calls Cook "little brother," there's no violation, right?)

I shall continue to dream until proven otherwise ;)

Kedsy
03-23-2010, 02:04 PM
Sigh...so close...

How likely is it that Marshall comes to Duke sans scholy (his mother is a lawyer, after all) for a year and Nolan becomes a lottery pick and pays for Cook's tuition for a year (as Nolan calls Cook "little brother," there's no violation, right?)

I shall continue to dream until proven otherwise ;)

Zero and zero, but dream on if it makes you feel good.

flyingdutchdevil
03-23-2010, 02:10 PM
Zero and zero, but dream on if it makes you feel good.

Would definitely make me feel very good. I also had this dream that Davis and Henson turned pro, LDII, McDonald, and the Wear brothers transferred, and HB turned out to be a bust.

DukeSean
03-23-2010, 02:21 PM

exactly.

CDu
03-23-2010, 02:22 PM

I have no insight into recruiting and don't know if Adams and Plumlee are mutually exclusive, but it would seem that they either anticipate:
(a) not getting one (or two) of the three of Adams, Plumlee, and Miller
(b) one (or more) of the current bigs going early
(c) both

CDu
03-23-2010, 02:24 PM

Note also that Coach K rarely recruited to the scholarship limit anyway. So even in that scenario, we'd probably have to lose another guy or two.

I'm guessing that this is just evidence of our staff widening the net to try to make sure we get somebody really good, rather than actually trying to land all of these guys together.

flyingdutchdevil
03-24-2010, 07:07 AM
Short but sweet article on Nate James, recruiting, and Tyler Adams:

http://www.bluemascot.com/2010/03/nate-james-dukes-recruiting-x-factor/

BD80
03-24-2010, 10:43 AM
Short but sweet article on Nate James, recruiting, and Tyler Adams:

http://www.bluemascot.com/2010/03/nate-james-dukes-recruiting-x-factor/

Coach Krzyzewski recently called and offered Adams even though he has not watched Adams play in person.

This is surprising and a bit troubling. Coach K is placing a lot of faith in Nate's ability to evaluate talent. My concern is because of the scholarship "crunch" we may have with such highly ranked players in 2011 interested in in Duke. I would hate to miss out on Quincy or Marshall due to lack of scholarships. Usually, we are under the 13 limit, and all we risk with a player the cost of the scholarship and the effect the player has on the team (ie McRoberts). Here, there may be more in play.

However, I have unbounded trust in Coach K. He is developing Nate as a coach (with mad recruiting skills!) and best knows the roster implications due to NBA aspirations of those with such options (Kyrie, Mason).

If there are concerns about Tyler's motivation and conditioning, what better solution than to make Nate personally responsible for Tyler?

roywhite
03-24-2010, 10:48 AM
This is surprising and a bit troubling. Coach K is placing a lot of faith in Nate's ability to evaluate talent. My concern is because of the scholarship "crunch" we may have with such highly ranked players in 2011 interested in in Duke.

I know what you're saying.

Somehow, I think if young Mr. Adams called Coach K and said he wanted to commit, the response would be something like:

"Great; why don't you plan to visit campus soon, get a feel for the school and the team, and we'll meet to talk about it."

Troublemaker
03-24-2010, 01:53 PM
This is surprising and a bit troubling. Coach K is placing a lot of faith in Nate's ability to evaluate talent. My concern is because of the scholarship "crunch" we may have with such highly ranked players in 2011 interested in in Duke. I would hate to miss out on Quincy or Marshall due to lack of scholarships. Usually, we are under the 13 limit, and all we risk with a player the cost of the scholarship and the effect the player has on the team (ie McRoberts). Here, there may be more in play.

Firstly, I kind of doubt that Duke would offer Adams if Coach K hadn't seen him play at all, even if it's just on tape or at AAU. But I admit I haven't followed recruiting much lately and defer to others on this. Secondly, I don't think you have to fret too much about the "opportunity cost" of this scholarship offer going to Adams. 6'8"/6'9" guys that are 255-ish while in high school are so rare already. Then, add to that mix the fact that he apparently has the grades to receive a Duke offer, and finally -- and this is underrated -- the fact that Duke has an opportunity here to make recruiting inroads into the athlete-rich Deep South, it's a no-brainer.... Tyler Adams is someone you hope to see in a Duke uniform in the future.

ACCBBallFan
03-24-2010, 03:39 PM
With or without MP3 who I think may end up at UVA to start his own legacy rather than being in his elders' shadow, it is only a matter of time before Mason and Miles move on. So it is wise to pursue more bigs such as Adams

Dukeknights
03-24-2010, 06:00 PM
With or without MP3 who I think may end up at UVA to start his own legacy rather than being in his elders' shadow, it is only a matter of time before Mason and Miles move on. So it is wise to pursue more bigs such as Adams

i think MP3 ends up at Wisconsin. Honestly, I would prefer Adams over MP3 for that time-frame. A big bruiser will be much needed, considering the Plumlees will eventually be out, Hairston is good in the post but is more finesse then powering people on the low-block and Ryan Kelly is more perimeter oriented.

I think Mason and Miles will leave the same season(Miles graduates, Mason leaves early Junior year.) Having 4 post men would be much better than having only three.(Adams, Kelly and Hairston) Also don't forget Ryan Kelly is more perimeter oriented so really we are left with 2 post men. We need another big man in the class of 2011 or the class of 2012.

CDu
03-24-2010, 06:11 PM
i think MP3 ends up at Wisconsin. Honestly, I would prefer Adams over MP3 for that time-frame. A big bruiser will be much needed, considering the Plumlees will eventually be out, Hairston is good in the post but is more finesse then powering people on the low-block and Ryan Kelly is more perimeter oriented.

I think Mason and Miles will leave the same season(Miles graduates, Mason leaves early Junior year.) Having 4 post men would be much better than having only three.(Adams, Kelly and Hairston) Also don't forget Ryan Kelly is more perimeter oriented so really we are left with 2 post men. We need another big man in the class of 2011 or the class of 2012.

In your scenario, we'd then have the following roster for the 2011-12 season:
Irving (SO)
Curry (JR)
Thornton (SO)
Dawkins (JR)
Gbinije (FR)
Felix (JR)
Hairston (SO)
Kelly (JR)
Plumlee (JR)
Plumlee (SR)

That's already 10 players, and it doesn't include any of the guys we're still exploring for 2011 (like Rivers, Adams, Miller, and Marshall Plumlee). As such, I don't see us bringing two big men in the 2011 class unless we expect either (or both) of the Plumlees to leave early. I don't see us having six scholarship bigs.

In your scenario, it'd seem like we'd be looking for one big in 2011 and one or more bigs in 2012. Of course, this is all purely conjecture. I have no idea for sure.

-bdbd
03-24-2010, 11:29 PM
In your scenario, we'd then have the following roster for the 2011-12 season:
Irving (SO)
Curry (JR)
Thornton (SO)
Dawkins (JR)
Gbinije (FR)
Felix (JR)
Hairston (SO)
Kelly (JR)
Plumlee (JR)
Plumlee (SR)

That's already 10 players, and it doesn't include any of the guys we're still exploring for 2011 (like Rivers, Adams, Miller, and Marshall Plumlee). As such, I don't see us bringing two big men in the 2011 class unless we expect either (or both) of the Plumlees to leave early. I don't see us having six scholarship bigs.
In your scenario, it'd seem like we'd be looking for one big in 2011 and one or more bigs in 2012. Of course, this is all purely conjecture. I have no idea for sure.

Ya know, when I got married a few years back we had a small reception hall at a little country inn. It could only seat 100, "definitely not 101" as the nice older woman running it insisted. And even that was tight. Well, my wife comes from a big family - apx 40 first-cousins - based in that area. So, we couldn't afford to leave any empty seats (and especially since we were paying for them anyway!). So, after getting the temperature on odds of coming from some of the cousins, we invited about 120, knowing that all wouldn't accept. And with a couple late invites that eventually went out we, amazingly, sat 99 people at our reception...

My point is, K can get a reasonable sense of his chances as the process rolls along. He can then use that info to guage how many scholarships to offer, and to which types of players. My guess is that we don't think that we're leading for MP3, so have offered Adams. Could we be surprised and get both ? Sure. And there's worse things than having two super interior bigs. But you have to go with what you know. By the same extension, if you think you're in really good with a super G like Rivers - say, at least 50% - then maybe you don't go out on that offer limb with another almost-as-good guard.

K and staff are big boys who've been playing this game for a long time. It is calculated gambling, no doubt, but I like our odds (and our gambler!)...

:D:):rolleyes:

Welcome2DaSlopes
03-25-2010, 07:15 AM
Miller is a 3 with 4 like size.

rotogod00
03-26-2010, 09:40 AM
Didn't see this posted anywhere, so here's Meyer's (Rivals) take on Adams a week ago:

Q: Is Tyler Adams a pure center, or can he give spot minutes at the four position as well? Who would you compare him to in college basketball, either in the past or present?

A: You don't hear the term "pure center" as much as you used to, but it fits Adams. He is a healthy 6 feet 8, if not a little taller, and 260 pounds. He is comfortable with his back to the basket and doesn't spend much time straying from his comfort zone. Adams realizes that his strength is playing on the block and using his physical presence to impact games.

He has the potential on defense to be similar to DeMarcus Cousins. Adams is not a great vertical athlete, but he controls horizontal space. Outmuscling opponents for position and making them score over him is much more his forte, rather than trying to block shots.

For an offensive comparison, let's go with a right handed Rick Jackson of Syracuse. Adams might not be quite as mobile, but he is a little bit stronger than Jackson. Their skill sets are quite similar.

IBleedBlue
03-26-2010, 09:52 AM
I am pretty sure the coaching staff will take care of the scholarship limit if it comes to that situation. At this point, I want everyone i.e. M3P, Tyler Adams, Johnny O'Bryant and Miller. Let them come and win 4 times in Smith center.
We will have plenty of time for all of them to play.

BD80
03-26-2010, 12:20 PM
Didn't see this posted anywhere, so here's Meyer's (Rivals) take on Adams a week ago:

Q: Is Tyler Adams a pure center, or can he give spot minutes at the four position as well? Who would you compare him to in college basketball, either in the past or present?

A: You don't hear the term "pure center" as much as you used to, but it fits Adams. He is a healthy 6 feet 8, if not a little taller, and 260 pounds. He is comfortable with his back to the basket and doesn't spend much time straying from his comfort zone. Adams realizes that his strength is playing on the block and using his physical presence to impact games.

He has the potential on defense to be similar to DeMarcus Cousins. Adams is not a great vertical athlete, but he controls horizontal space. Outmuscling opponents for position and making them score over him is much more his forte, rather than trying to block shots.For an offensive comparison, let's go with a right handed Rick Jackson of Syracuse. Adams might not be quite as mobile, but he is a little bit stronger than Jackson. Their skill sets are quite similar.

Is this your comparison, or Myers'? Comparing Tyler's (a high school junior) strength to Jackson, a JUNIOR in college who is known for his strength? And to be stronger, albeit a bit? Wow!

And we are to turn him over to Nate in the weight room? And let Nate "adjust" or focus his attitude?

I would check the university insurance policy, what happens if Tyler breaks an opposing player?

rotogod00
03-26-2010, 04:17 PM
Is this your comparison, or Myers'? Comparing Tyler's (a high school junior) strength to Jackson, a JUNIOR in college who is known for his strength? And to be stronger, albeit a bit? Wow!

And we are to turn him over to Nate in the weight room? And let Nate "adjust" or focus his attitude?

I would check the university insurance policy, what happens if Tyler breaks an opposing player?

that's all meyer

jennja01
03-30-2010, 08:08 PM
Hey all, long time reader and first time poster here. I follow recruiting very closely and came across this today. I cant say ive ever heard of this guy but he works for rivals so i assume hes credible. anyway heres the link:

http://twitter.com/clintjackson1
(in case theres some malfunction, heres the tweet)
"Duke in closer mode on Tyler Adams, the 6-9, 262 lb Center from Mississippi? He's liking the Devils a lot."

Not sure what "closer mode" means exactly, but we can take it as a good sign, i guess.

airowe
03-30-2010, 08:11 PM
Hey all, long time reader and first time poster here. I follow recruiting very closely and came across this today. I cant say ive ever heard of this guy but he works for rivals so i assume hes credible. anyway heres the link:

http://twitter.com/clintjackson1
(in case theres some malfunction, heres the tweet)
"Duke in closer mode on Tyler Adams, the 6-9, 262 lb Center from Mississippi? He's liking the Devils a lot."

Not sure what "closer mode" means exactly, but we can take it as a good sign, i guess.

Clint is a great source. He runs both the Duke and carolina Rivals sites.

Closer mode means we are closing in on him. Things should move quick here...

CDu
03-30-2010, 08:14 PM
Don't know anything about these recruits, but from what it sounds he's a pretty atypical recruit for Duke: more of a bulky, back-to-the-basket, space-eater type in the Brand mold (note: not comparing his talent to Brand in any way - just the style of play) rather than the lanky, perimeter-oriented type in the Laettner/Randolph/McRoberts mold.

Bsim412
03-30-2010, 08:21 PM
So I haven't got this straight, has Duke offered Adams' AAU teammate Johnny O'Bryant?

roywhite
03-30-2010, 08:25 PM
Don't know anything about these recruits, but from what it sounds he's a pretty atypical recruit for Duke: more of a bulky, back-to-the-basket, space-eater type in the Brand mold (note: not comparing his talent to Brand in any way - just the style of play) rather than the lanky, perimeter-oriented type in the Laettner/Randolph/McRoberts mold.

I know what you mean, but Zoubs and Shelden are recent examples of players who were more about size and strength than finesse and versatility.

At any rate, hope we can get some size for the 2011 class.

Dukeknights
03-30-2010, 08:35 PM
a power guy, with quick feet and multiple scoring moves(back to the basket) on this team would make us unstoppable. With that being said, our bigs are very good at what they are needed to do,(rebounding, post defense, occasional buckets.)

Hopefully Tyler Adams can become the type of player I mentioned above.

Welcome2DaSlopes
03-30-2010, 08:39 PM
What is his ranking?

airowe
03-30-2010, 08:41 PM
So I haven't got this straight, has Duke offered Adams' AAU teammate Johnny O'Bryant?

No. We are evaluating him though...

Dukeknights
03-30-2010, 08:42 PM
What is his ranking?

#14 C in the nation according to Scout.com, 3-star. When the 2010 class is finished, and they do a complete overlook of the 2011 class, most of the three-stars who are ranked at their respective positions from around 12-20 and are 3-star's become 4-star's.

When the final rankings come out for the 2011 class I am expecting Tyler Adams to be between 8-10 C in the nation and an obvious 4-star.

IMO.

Daniel tosh
04-01-2010, 11:45 PM
I recently read that Tyler is likeing Duke a lot,and that he could commit within a month or two.I think I read it on one of Scout.com's scouts twitter.Any truth to that?Any new news?

Dukeknights
04-02-2010, 12:01 AM
I recently read that Tyler is likeing Duke a lot,and that he could commit within a month or two.I think I read it on one of Scout.com's scouts twitter.Any truth to that?Any new news?

it is very true.

he said we are his leader!!

CPDUKEGUY24
04-02-2010, 01:55 AM
it is very true.

he said we are his leader!!

http://duke.scout.com/a.z?s=167&p=8&c=1&nid=3725622

Scroll to the bottom and note his interest levels :cool:

rotogod00
04-12-2010, 12:50 PM
According to Jerry Meyer at Rivals, a commitment may be imminent:

A Duke visit is on the docket in June, and a commitment is likely to follow. Adams claims Duke as a significant leader.

licc85
04-12-2010, 02:31 PM
Nate James is a recruiting beast . . . i'm SO glad he's an assistant now

CameronDuke
04-12-2010, 03:09 PM
According to Jerry Meyer at Rivals, a commitment may be imminent:

I also heard this. Duke is currently the leader for Adams, who will be a huge sign for us if we land him. He is the 6'9', 260 pounder we will need to replace Zoubek at center. He is a back to the the basket player who looks and is built like a MAN. Seriously, from pictures, this guy is ripped and is about as wide as a PT Cruiser. If we land him, we will have a great future in the post with (presumably) both Plumlees, Kelly, Hairston, and Adams. Frankly, we'll be stacked.

It appears Duke has taken the lead in his recruitment and we could probably bet on landing him in the next two months or so. If we do, Nate James has further solidified himself as one of the up and coming recruiters in the nation. The guy is working his rear end off for this team. The sky is the limit right now for this Duke program, people. Coming off a national championship, we are showing no signs of slowing down on the recruiting path (offering Amir Williams, possibly landing Quincy Miller and Austin Rivers, possibly offering O'Bryant). It is a great (and unprecedented) time to be a Duke fan!

Let's Go Duke!

NSDukeFan
04-12-2010, 03:14 PM
I also heard this. Duke is currently the leader for Adams, who will be a huge sign for us if we land him. He is the 6'9', 260 pounder we will need to replace Zoubek at center. He is a back to the the basket player who looks and is built like a MAN. Seriously, from pictures, this guy is ripped and is about as wide as a PT Cruiser. If we land him, we will have a great future in the post with (presumably) both Plumlees, Kelly, Hairston, and Adams. Frankly, we'll be stacked.

It appears Duke has taken the lead in his recruitment and we could probably bet on landing him in the next two months or so. If we do, Nate James has further solidified himself as one of the up and coming recruiters in the nation. The guy is working his rear end off for this team. The sky is the limit right now for this Duke program, people. Coming off a national championship, we are showing no signs of slowing down on the recruiting path (offering Amir Williams, possibly landing Quincy Miller and Austin Rivers, possibly offering O'Bryant). It is a great (and unprecedented) time to be a Duke fan!

Let's Go Duke!
I agree that it is a great time to be a Duke fan, but I think anyone watching Duke basketball between about 1986 and 1994 or 1997-2004 may dispute that this is an unprecedented time to be a Duke fan. ;)

CameronDuke
04-12-2010, 03:20 PM
I watched during those years and I guess it may just be me, but I have never felt so refreshed and generally happy moving into a new season as this year. I really didn't think we'd take the national title this year and if Singler returns, I see no reason why we can't be confident taking it next year.

But I agree, the 1990s were some golden years for this program, too! Coach K is quite a coach. Words can't do him justice. :)

Daniel tosh
04-12-2010, 04:21 PM
I really hope we get this guy,he has the body type we've been missing.He may not be ranked very high right now but in his scouting report on Scouts they have him as a high major prospect so I expect a jump in the rankings.Adams and O'Bryant are good friends and they have been quoted saying they've talked about playing together on the same college team .Makes you wonder if they're a package I hope we get both of them.

baby-face dawkins
04-21-2010, 09:36 PM
Coach K and Nate are seriously hitting the recruiting trail hard...

http://bluedevilnation.net/2010/04/coach-k-drops-in-on-2011-prospect-tyler-adams/

Class of '94
04-21-2010, 09:52 PM
Coach K and Nate are seriously hitting the recruiting trail hard...

http://bluedevilnation.net/2010/04/coach-k-drops-in-on-2011-prospect-tyler-adams/

Not to take anyway from the premium site; but is there anything you or a premium member can share as to how well the visit by Coach K was received by Adams?

buzz
04-22-2010, 12:33 AM

“There were a lot of people from the school trying to come in the gym and get his autograph and get a picture of him. Every coach has been by, but it was different when Coach K came.”

Back to the good ole days. I'm lovin' it.

jrladd
04-26-2010, 12:13 AM
Several sources are now reporting that Tyler Adams, class of 2011, committed to Duke today.

billyj
04-26-2010, 01:49 AM
Shouldn't there be a welcome to Duke Tyler Adams thread?

Welcome2DaSlopes
04-26-2010, 07:21 AM
there is......

Scorp4me
04-26-2010, 09:36 AM
I'm surprised some of you aren't trying to give Nate credit for teaching our big men too. Chris and Wojo must feel like the Rodney Dangerfield of our coaching staff.