PDA

View Full Version : DBR: UMd Dissed on the House Floor

sagegrouse
03-18-2010, 09:12 AM
Here's a passage from the story that DBR linked on opposition to a harmless resolution congratulating the Terps for making the NCAA tourney. It drew 121 "No" votes.

"When the Maryland measure came up for a vote Wednesday, 129 of Campbell's fellow Republicans stood with him against the bill. Two Democrats -- Reps. Jason Altmire (Pa.) and Nick Rahall (W.Va.) -- also voted no, and six more voted present, for reasons that aren't clear.

"Perhaps they're Duke fans."

I have met Nick Rahall, and he definitely went to Duke. Jason Altmire is a former Florida State football player.

sagegrouse

flyingdutchdevil
03-18-2010, 09:37 AM
Here's a passage from the story that DBR linked on opposition to a harmless resolution congratulating the Terps for making the NCAA tourney. It drew 121 "No" votes.

"When the Maryland measure came up for a vote Wednesday, 129 of Campbell's fellow Republicans stood with him against the bill. Two Democrats -- Reps. Jason Altmire (Pa.) and Nick Rahall (W.Va.) -- also voted no, and six more voted present, for reasons that aren't clear.

I have met Nick Rahall, and he definitely went to Duke. Jason Altmire is a former Florida State football player.

sagegrouse

Glad to hear that American tax payers' dollars are being put to good use.

DukieInKansas
03-18-2010, 10:33 AM
Campbell pointed to Maryland's atrocious graduation rate in his talk opposing the measure, which was being brought up in the Labor and Education committee.

Steve68
03-18-2010, 12:31 PM

sagegrouse

The "Perhaps they're Duke fans" was written by the author of the article. I've written an email to the Washington Post Sports Editor asking why he/she chose to allow a cheap shot against Duke in an article having nothing to do with Duke. The Post continues to feed Maryland's obsession with Duke by printing negative things like this. Maybe I shouldn't get upset by stuff like this, but I do. Anybody else?

SmartDevil
03-18-2010, 02:33 PM
The formerly excellent Washington Post has declined in so many ways during the last decade. Headlines often don't match contents of stories....contents of stories often contain incorrect material.....and news stories are often written as if they are opinion pieces.

Why? Because they offered buyouts in several waves to reduce costs and the experienced reporters and editors took advantage of them. So now the staff is disproportionately kids and non-merit hires.

It also hasn't helped to have a new publisher these last few years who some regard as an idiot.

Lord Ash
03-18-2010, 02:52 PM
The "Perhaps they're Duke fans" was written by the author of the article. I've written an email to the Washington Post Sports Editor asking why he/she chose to allow a cheap shot against Duke in an article having nothing to do with Duke. The Post continues to feed Maryland's obsession with Duke by printing negative things like this. Maybe I shouldn't get upset by stuff like this, but I do. Anybody else?

I am not so sure that it is necessarily a dig at Duke... just a fun reminder of the dislike between the two schools.

GoingFor#5
03-18-2010, 03:00 PM
Are there resolutions for each school that makes the tournament or is an MD congressperson fishing for support in their district?

Lord Ash
03-18-2010, 03:05 PM
I think just a Maryland fan who realizes this is as good as it is going to get for a long time.

hudlow
03-18-2010, 05:40 PM
Those guys have to consider that congratulating Maryland might come back to haunt them when they're up for re election.

Smart politics!

hud

mgtr
03-18-2010, 07:05 PM
I am happy to see Congress invest a lot of time in such matters. It is far cheaper for most us than other things they do!!!:D

El_Diablo
03-18-2010, 08:46 PM
Hopefully no one was hurt in the ensuing riots in College Park.

sagegrouse
03-18-2010, 09:12 PM
Are there resolutions for each school that makes the tournament or is an MD congressperson fishing for support in their district?

Majority Leader Steny Hoyer (D-MD) is a University of Maryland grad (Georgetown Law School).

sagegrouse

mgtr
03-18-2010, 09:48 PM
Majority Leader Steny Hoyer (D-MD) is a University of Maryland grad (Georgetown Law School).

sagegrouse

Aha! That would make him 0 for 1 today, as Gerogetown went down big time.

Merlindevildog91
03-18-2010, 09:48 PM
Will Representative Hoyer put forward a resolution honoring the Ohio Bobcats?